Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Aug 12, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #1,306 of 3,654
To my ears the Nio has less bass than LX and is definitely not L shaped (unless you use the M20 module and even then not so much). Heck with the MX it's actually very neutral, and not pillowy at all. Nio with M15 or Fir0 has good bass but quite pillowy and warm compared to the more detailed U12t.

Good to hear that the nio bass is not as present as LX. Nio back again in my shortlist, I’ll take a look on classified if I’ll find a preowned one in Europe (not sure they will be worth to buy new at almost 1900 eur) :)

Aug 12, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #1,307 of 3,654
Well, now this changes things a little I think. Finally got a response from Shenzhen, and they will either refund me for the undelivered Dusk, or they will send me a new one. Asked to see how long it would take to get a new one. If it takes another month+ I might just take the U12t deal I was offered. I’m just getting impatient LMAO

Aug 12, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #1,308 of 3,654
A Mest OG for 750$ is crazy, especially since for me it is superior in several things to the MK2.

Among all the models you mention, I would add the Isabellae. I have found it a real delight.
Yeah. I haven't heard it yet. Tha's one I unintentionally left off the list.

Aug 12, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #1,309 of 3,654
Well, now this changes things a little I think. Finally got a response from Shenzhen, and they will either refund me for the undelivered Dusk, or they will send me a new one. Asked to see how long it would take to get a new one. If it takes another month+ I might just take the U12t deal I was offered. I’m just getting impatient LMAO
It's a great IEM. No downside really.

Aug 12, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #1,310 of 3,654
Unique Melody 3DT Impressions

This was sent to me with filters pre-installed by @tgx78, so I listened and measured the 3DT with those first. The 3DT has a solid, upper-midrange oriented tuning with the filters. There is a noticeable bump at the presence region and it leans slightly V-shaped, perhaps. Detailing is about a B- grade; it sounds fairly compressed for dynamics, but presents a pretty smooth listen. Pretty alright overall, even if it's not $300 competitive. Now let’s talk about the 3DT without the filters. I hate to say it, but the stock 3DT is...actually mildly painful for me to listen to. A popular point of comparison seems to be the Moondrop Blessing 2, so I'll run with that.

graph-15.png

The bass on the 3DT is okay. Texture, slam, and decay are all right about where they should be, with a noticeable lead over the Blessing 2’s dry bass tactility. I do get the impression that the 3DT’s bass attack is slightly more blunted than its midrange and treble (and it’s definitely less controlled than the Blessing 2’s bass), but it’s not the end of the world. This slight sense of disjointedness could just be the result of tonality.

Along the lines of tonality, unfortunately, the 3DT stumbles hard as we move into the midrange. The upper-midrange of the 3DT rises with more amplitude than the Blessing 2 in the pinna compensation and instead of sloping off properly, it rises into 5kHz. Where have I heard this before? Right - the Tin Audio T5, an IEM some readers will recall that I didn’t care much for, comes to mind. This poorly articulated transition lends to what I generally describe as a “glassy” quality to female vocalists where there’s too much emphasis on breaths and it sounds like they’re completely stuck singing in head voice. Danielle Bradbery and Thomas Rhett’s “Goodbye Summer” is a good example. Her voice, which normally has a lighter, slightly ethereal tone, sounds straight uncanny on the 3DT.

The treble on the 3DT is also something of a double-edged sword. It’s decently extended, more than the Blessing 2’s treble, but holy moly, it’s jagged, tinny, and it gets increasingly unpleasant the more I listen. The Blessing 2’s treble is pretty gritty to be sure, but at least it’s fairly smooth tonally with just minor peaks at 6kHz and 8kHz. I don't need to sine sweep this to know it has some pesky peaks in the upper-treble. It also sounds to be dipped in odd spots it shouldn't be, lending to cymbals sounding like crumpled aluminum foil; lightweight, hollowed like a wafer, and slightly spiky. Hard pass.

Timbre here is also just OK. Due to the tonal irregularities, admittedly, stuff doesn't really sound correct for me from the midrange and up, especially compared to my Genelec G2 reference speakers. That glassy sheen to the upper-midrange brings out a sort of metallic edge to decay, exacerbating the slight digital artifacts to Taeyeon's voice on "I Found You" and on Loona's "Eclipse". A shame given the 3DT does have a good sense of vibrancy to attack that makes the Blessing 2 come off cold. Treble on the 3DT is also tinged with metal, sounding okay on cursory listen, but slowly sticking out like a sore thumb, hence the crumpled aluminum foil analogy. Detail on the 3DT is alright for the price, but it's no Blessing 2. Notes sound larger, grander on the 3DT; consequently, it neither layers as well nor does it have the same positional accuracy that the Blessing 2 is acclaimed for. Technical performance on the stock 3DT is definitely better than with the filters, though, so I'd say you're looking at around B+ grade technicalities.

And therein lies my (and tgx78's) dilemna. The filter mod fixes the tonal issues, but you're going to take a hit in technicalities; vice versa without the filter. Ultimately, what I hear is a compromised IEM that started off as good idea, but that was bottlenecked by its implementation. It's just not my cup of tea, sorry.

Score: 4/10

Aug 12, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #1,311 of 3,654
I actually expected the 3DT to be UMs response to the DMagic when it was announced. I had the MEST at the time and would have been to open to another entry.

When I saw the price though I wave it off.

@Precogvision any chance of a take on the DMagic in the future?

Afaik: the only reviews out are (in order) @audio123 , mine and Headfonia. The upper mids might be too peaky for your liking but it would be interesting to see how it compares to 3DT.

Aug 12, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #1,312 of 3,654
Lol, I love the 3DT. I find it immersive, clear, and spacious. I get none of the grit that Precog mentions, nor do I find it excessively airy or peaky in the treble. I find it a pure joy to listen to, for hours at a time.

I guess that's why I'm glad they make so many different IEMs. Different strokes for different folks. I think it's a bargain at $300. I guess that's why I don't put too much faith in reviews; you never know if your opinion will match. Best to listen for yourself if you can.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #1,313 of 3,654
I actually expected the 3DT to be UMs response to the DMagic when it was announced. I had the MEST at the time and would have been to open to another entry.

When I saw the price though I wave it off.

@Precogvision any chance of a take on the DMagic in the future?

Afaik: the only reviews out are (in order) @audio123 , mine and Headfonia. The upper mids might be too peaky for your liking but it would be interesting to see how it compares to 3DT.

If someone wants to send one in, I'm down. Looks decent from Crin's graph.

Lol, I love the 3DT. I find it immersive, clear, and spacious. I get none of the grit that Precog mentions, nor do I find it excessively airy or peaky in the treble. I find it a pure joy to listen to, for hours at a time.

I guess that's why I'm glad they make so many different IEMs. Different strokes for different folks. I think it's a bargain at $300. I guess that's why I don't put too much faith in reviews; you never know if your opinion will match. Best to listen for yourself if you can.

Hold up, I never said it had grit though. That was the Blessing 2 haha.

The Blessing 2’s treble is pretty gritty to be sure

But 100% agreed on listening for yourself if at all possible :)

Aug 12, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #1,314 of 3,654
Fair enough on the grit. But honestly I guess it got lost in the continuous waves of other criticisms about the 3DT's treble, such as "but holy moly, it’s jagged, tinny, and it gets increasingly unpleasant the more I listen" and "Treble on the 3DT is also tinged with metal, sounding okay on cursory listen, but slowly sticking out like a sore thumb, hence the crumpled aluminum foil analogy," among others.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion and it's clear that we all hear things differently, so what works (or doesn't work) for someone may be "end game" stuff for someone else. That's what makes this hobby so interesting.

Aug 12, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #1,315 of 3,654
That would be an amazing price. I haven't seen any MEST OG for sale here at that price. Lowest I've seen is 950 I believe.

My guess is that any MEST listed for 750 would be sold within seconds.
Hmm my og on sale for $800 for a while and no response. :smile:

Aug 12, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #1,316 of 3,654
If you offer it for $700, it would be gone in seconds. $725 maybe a day. $750 would be maybe a few days

Aug 12, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #1,317 of 3,654
Funny. I check the classifieds several times a day and I didn't see it. Maybe it slipped down several pages already?

Aug 12, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #1,318 of 3,654
Funny. I check the classifieds several times a day and I didn't see it. Maybe it slipped down several pages already?
Yeah the new classified system is not good for browsing…

Aug 13, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #1,319 of 3,654

Same for me!
After initially struggling with tips, fit, damping and the terrible stock cable, the 3DT is now supremely comfortable for me, seals better than anything else I have available, and is simply a joy to listen to.

@Precogvision - did you measure the FR with the damping?

Aug 13, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #1,320 of 3,654

Users who are viewing this thread

Back