Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Jul 29, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #1,126 of 3,652
say u12t is better. if not....png

LEAKED: PRECOG'S SHOCKING CONVERSATION WITH HIS FATHER! UNBELIEVABLE!

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Jul 29, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #1,129 of 3,652
Had a little fun today by having my dad demo the Oriolus Traillii, Elysian Annihilator, and 64A U12t for about 15 minutes each. He's mostly a layman when it comes to audio, but he does appreciate good sound. I didn't tell him the price of any of them except the U12t as a reference. He listened to the Traillii first. He said it was good, but in his words, it was "missing something in the upper-harmonics". Second, he listened to the Annihilator. He did not like the Annihilator very much and said that, tonally, it sounded unnatural to him. The Traillii, in fact, even sounded more detailed to him. Finally, he listened to the U12t. He preferred the U12t the most out of the three, and said it had a similar tonality to the Traillii, but was just a tad more refined in general. When I asked him to guess the prices, knowing the U12t was $2K, he said both the Traillii and the Annihilator were around $1K in his opinion (you should've seen his face when I told him the actual prices).

That was definitely very interesting. My dad is older, in his 50s, and mostly listens to country music. I can see why he would dislike the Annihilator on the basis of tonality from the outset. It was surprising, however, to hear that he thought the Traillii had more detail overall. For me, there is no comparison between the Traillii and the Annihilator, particularly in the treble responses, but I know others who have heard the same as my dad did. Hearing the subjective evaluation of price was also funny. It just goes to show how insane prices are in this hobby for some of the stuff we buy. As a little bonus, he also heard the CFA Andro 2020. For him, the tonality was mostly on point, but it had a quicker, more delicate response. The treble on it was quite articulate; however, it had a tinny quality to it as a result. I think while we generally shared the same thoughts overall; as usual, it just goes to show how small these nuances are and how differently they can be heard.

Pretty much agree with all of this. U12t out of those 3 is tuned the best. I definitely hear Traillii to have the most detail, and Annihilator is the most unnatural from them.
Even with the traillii’s treble tuning I heard it to do a better job of picking out micro details and small nuances over the overly emphasized highs on the Annihilator.

Jul 29, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #1,130 of 3,652

LEAKED: PRECOG'S SHOCKING CONVERSATION WITH HIS FATHER! UNBELIEVABLE!

Precog better address these leaks...

Jesus. Absolutely disgusting. Who is this guy? I’m not sure if he’s fit to be a reviewer

if taeyeon has million number of fans i am one of them. if taeyeon has ten fans i am one of them. if taeyeon has no fans. that means i am no more on the earth. if world against taeyeon, i am against the world. i love taeyeon till my last breath... die hard fan of taeyeon. Hit like if u think taeyeon best & euphoric in the world

Jul 29, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #1,133 of 3,652
Who is Audio64?

Jul 29, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #1,134 of 3,652
Had a little fun today by having my dad demo the Oriolus Traillii, Elysian Annihilator, and 64A U12t for about 15 minutes each. He's mostly a layman when it comes to audio, but he does appreciate good sound. I didn't tell him the price of any of them except the U12t as a reference. He listened to the Traillii first. He said it was good, but in his words, it was "missing something in the upper-harmonics". Second, he listened to the Annihilator. He did not like the Annihilator very much and said that, tonally, it sounded unnatural to him. The Traillii, in fact, even sounded more detailed to him. Finally, he listened to the U12t. He preferred the U12t the most out of the three, and said it had a similar tonality to the Traillii, but was just a tad more refined in general. When I asked him to guess the prices, knowing the U12t was $2K, he said both the Traillii and the Annihilator were around $1K in his opinion (you should've seen his face when I told him the actual prices).

That was definitely very interesting. My dad is older, in his 50s, and mostly listens to country music. I can see why he would dislike the Annihilator on the basis of tonality from the outset. It was surprising, however, to hear that he thought the Traillii had more detail overall. For me, there is no comparison between the Traillii and the Annihilator, particularly in the treble responses, but I know others who have heard the same as my dad did. Hearing the subjective evaluation of price was also funny. It just goes to show how insane prices are in this hobby for some of the stuff we buy. As a little bonus, he also heard the CFA Andro 2020. For him, the tonality was mostly on point, but it had a quicker, more delicate response. The treble on it was quite articulate; however, it had a tinny quality to it as a result. I think while we generally shared the same thoughts overall; as usual, it just goes to show how small these nuances are and how differently they can be heard.
Just an idea: throw in a good mid-fi like the SA6 in the mix without disclosing the price.

Jul 29, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #1,136 of 3,652
Tanchjim Hana 2021 Impressions

The original Hana was not an IEM I appreciated very much. Followed up by the equally perplexing Darling, it cemented Tanchjim as being something of a maligned Moondrop to my ears instead of the more mature, older brother that the Oxygen initially set the company up to be. Nonetheless, perhaps Tanchjim has recognized this because they’ve released two legitimately good sets since then: the budget-oriented Tanya and now the Hana 2021. I actually wrote some brief impressions on the Hana 2021 a few weeks ago, but given the opportunity to listen to it more closely thanks to a loan from @MRSallee, I wanted to come back to this IEM because I think it deserves a spotlight.

graph-6.png

Tonally, whereas the original Hana was more bass-light and sported an extremely thin midrange, the Hana 2021 brings back up the bass and pulls down the upper-midrange. You effectively have a dead-ringer for the Oxygen, it’s older brother, and the Moondrop $100 single DDs in terms of tuning. In practice, the Hana 2021's a little more bassy and more lower-treble oriented than the KXXS, and it does not exhibit the haziness of treble reverb that the KXXS exhibits. Perhaps the former is due to better separation and tighter transient attack; percussive hits consequently come across as more defined. But in general, you could just take a lot of my comments about the Oxygen and apply them to the Hana 2021.

That in mind, the real interesting thing for me is the intangibles. Something that I neglected to talk about in my Oxygen impressions, and that might surprise some readers, is that not all dynamic drivers are created equal when it comes to timbre. I’m guilty of perpetuating it myself; that is, the common misgiving that “this IEM has a dynamic driver, therefore the timbre is good". That's definitely not always true, and believe me, I’ve heard my fair share of DD IEMs with bad timbre. While the KXXS is definitely one of the better performers in the timbre department, the Hana 2021 is simply a step or two ahead. It has slightly sharper attack transients, yet it maintains slower, smoother decay. It's just so damn pleasant to hear, and this is what comes to mind when I’m talking about good DD timbre.

Furthermore, I don’t know how Tanchjim does it - and it’s surprising, really, given how tiny these IEMs are - but all of their IEMs are above average in the imaging department. The Hana 2021 has slightly out-of-head imaging with some decent soundstage height, particularly to the direct left and right. Vocals and percussive instruments have a floating sensation to them that is simply uncanny for an IEM of this price. Again, we’re talking “for an IEM” and "for this price," but it’s still pretty impressive. Dynamics are also a solid tier above any of the Moondrop single DDs. The Hana 2021's bass only slams slightly harder than the KXXS and the Oxygen (I'd need to A/B); however, there's a good sense of vibrancy to the frequency spectrum that, quite frankly, makes the KXXS come off as slightly etched by comparison. And if you want to bring in the bogeyman of the sub-$200 bracket, the Etymotic ER2XR, the Hana 2021 also has it beat for these metrics.

Admittedly, I was a tad skeptical when @MRSallee titled his YouTube review “the upgrade you’ve been looking for” - that upgrade obviously being a reference to the Moondrop single-DD lineup. But after spending more time with the Hana 2021 and running A/B comparisons, I have to say: I think this is it. At every turn, it’s a smidge better than its younger brothers from another mother without any drawbacks. Listeners who were holding out for a baby Oxygen also need look no further. The Hana 2021 is definitely getting added to the sub-$200 recommendations list.

Score: 5/10 6/10

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #1,137 of 3,652
So the Hana 2.0. is effectively the mini Oxygen everyone wanted? Pretty cool and definitely has it's place under $200 and could even play with some stuff in the $300-400 price range (B2 is still very hard to match tho.)

6/10 is not an easy score to get on the Precogvision scale given the slew of mediocrity out there and Precog's high standards, even harder when the Hana 2.0. is less than $200! (Most sub $200 IEMs are lucky to get a 5/10) This achievement definitely deserves a medal, especially when Tanchjim has been struggling against Moondrop's product line.

Strongly considering these along with the OH10 and the JVC HA-FDX1 as a future budget purchase later this year. Probably a toss up between the Hana 2021 and the FDX1.

Speaking of single DD IEMs, who thought single DD magically means good timbre? There are definitely single DD IEMs with poor timbre out there like the infamous Periodic Audio Ti and the Meze Rai Solo which sounds wonkier every time I swap it with the Starfield and Ibasso IT00.

Jul 30, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #1,138 of 3,652

I'll bet it you included a BL03 that he would have liked that the best.

Jul 30, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #1,139 of 3,652
Tanchjim Hana 2021 Impressions

The original Hana was not an IEM I appreciated very much. Followed up by the equally perplexing Darling, it cemented Tanchjim as being something of a maligned Moondrop to my ears instead of the more mature, older brother that the Oxygen initially set the company up to be. Nonetheless, perhaps Tanchjim has recognized this because they’ve released two legitimately good sets since then: the budget-oriented Tanya and now the Hana 2021. I actually wrote some brief impressions on the Hana 2021 a few weeks ago, but given the opportunity to listen to it more closely thanks to a loan from @MRSallee, I wanted to come back to this IEM because I think it deserves a spotlight.

Tonally, whereas the original Hana was more bass-light and sported an extremely thin midrange, the Hana 2021 brings back up the bass and pulls down the upper-midrange. You effectively have a dead-ringer for the Oxygen, it’s older brother, and the Moondrop $100 single DDs in terms of tuning. In practice, the Hana 2021's a little more bassy and more lower-treble oriented than the KXXS, and it does not exhibit the haziness of treble reverb that the KXXS exhibits. Perhaps the former is due to better separation and tighter transient attack; percussive hits consequently come across as more defined. But in general, you could just take a lot of my comments about the Oxygen and apply them to the Hana 2021.

That in mind, the real interesting thing for me is the intangibles. Something that I neglected to talk about in my Oxygen impressions, and that might surprise some readers, is that not all dynamic drivers are created equal when it comes to timbre. I’m guilty of perpetuating it myself; that is, the common misgiving that “this IEM has a dynamic driver, therefore the timbre is good". That's definitely not always true, and believe me, I’ve heard my fair share of DD IEMs with bad timbre. While the KXXS is definitely one of the better performers in the timbre department, the Hana 2021 is simply a step or two ahead. It has slightly sharper attack transients, yet it maintains slower, smoother decay. It's just so damn pleasant to hear, and this is what comes to mind when I’m talking about good DD timbre.

Furthermore, I don’t know how Tanchjim does it - and it’s surprising, really, given how tiny these IEMs are - but all of their IEMs are above average in the imaging department. The Hana 2021 has slightly out-of-head imaging with some decent soundstage height, particularly to the direct left and right. Vocals and percussive instruments have a floating sensation to them that is simply uncanny for an IEM of this price. Again, we’re talking “for an IEM” and "for this price," but it’s still pretty impressive. Dynamics are also a solid tier above any of the Moondrop single DDs. The Hana 2021's bass only slams slightly harder than the KXXS and the Oxygen (I'd need to A/B); however, there's a good sense of vibrancy to the frequency spectrum that, quite frankly, makes the KXXS come off as slightly etched by comparison. And if you want to bring in the bogeyman of the sub-$200 bracket, the Etymotic ER2XR, the Hana 2021 also has it beat for these metrics.

Admittedly, I was a tad skeptical when @MRSallee titled his YouTube review “the upgrade you’ve been looking for” - that upgrade obviously being a reference to the Moondrop single-DD lineup. But after spending more time with the Hana 2021 and running A/B comparisons, I have to say: I think this is it. At every turn, it’s a smidge better than its younger brothers from another mother without any drawbacks. Listeners who were holding out for a baby Oxygen also need look no further. The Hana 2021 is definitely getting added to the sub-$200 recommendations list.

Score: 5/10 6/10
So if you had to choose between the Isabellae and the Hana 2021 for yourself and could only pick one, would it be the Hana?
Are the scores of both influenced by their prices?

If the price difference is not very big, do you recommend I go for the Oxygen better than the Hana 2021?

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #1,140 of 3,652
So if you had to choose between the Isabellae and the Hana 2021 for yourself and could only pick one, would it be the Hana?
Are the scores of both influenced by their prices?

If the price difference is not very big, do you recommend I go for the Oxygen better than the Hana 2021?

Yes, that is what the score is intended to reflect. The scores I drop in this thread are the "bias" ones which are a general, gut-instinct score based on how much I like an IEM. Either way, I rank the Hana 2021 over the Isabellae for tonal balance and technicalities.

If I'm being honest, I don't really care about price much these days. There is definitely correlation between price and perceived sound quality (this is reflected in the tonality/technicality scores), but it is not a major one when it comes to my personal enjoyment. This is why IEMs like the Moondrop Dusk and Dunu SA6 can score higher than, say, the VE Erlkonig for the bias score.

I would need to A/B the Oxygen and Hana 2021 to know which is exactly better (or not), but they're similar enough that I would just go for the cheaper one :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back