Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
May 15, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #2,251 of 3,652
If you can afford - the U12T. I did (great open box deal)- no turning back.
Thank you.
I actually auditioned the U12T but preferred the Z1R…

So not really looking to get something TOTL level, more like a “backup” set. Mentioned the IER-M9 just because I could get it locally at a reasonable price, the other question is whether it’s worth it, given the current high-hyped S12, Timeless etc.

May 15, 2022 at 8:13 PM Post #2,252 of 3,652
Currently own (and love) the Sony IER-Z1R paired with Shanling M8.

Thought to get a secondary set that would be a bit lighter/more comfortable for on-the-go or when lying down.

Was heavily considering the IER-M9, or Sennheiser IE600, but then got struck by the various hype-trains of IEMs such as Tripowin Olina, Shouer S12 etc.

Have some concerns about whether the IER-M9 is still passing the test of time, given it’s an “old” IEM and everything is moving at the speed of light these days.
At the same time I am not sure and hesitant whether it would make sense to get into Chi-Fi (eg models mentioned above)…

Looking for some advice — what would you buy?
What signature?

May 15, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #2,254 of 3,652
Thank you.
I actually auditioned the U12T but preferred the Z1R…

So not really looking to get something TOTL level, more like a “backup” set. Mentioned the IER-M9 just because I could get it locally at a reasonable price, the other question is whether it’s worth it, given the current high-hyped S12, Timeless etc.

I bought a 2nd hand Sony M9 at $495 USD and I think they still can compete with some TOTL sets in this day and age.

Compared to other pure BA multi driver types:
- The Campfire Andromeda 2020 has worse timbre and is very very fussy with source pairing. It hisses on some sources and due to the low impedance, it needs sources with low output impedance.
- The QDC Anole VX has better resolution and technicalities, and also has tuning switches to change the sound signature, but I find Anole VX a bit hotter in the tuning and also it has a worse timbre.

The M9 is a warm neutral set that has good tonality and good technicalities (micro-details, imaging, layering, soundstage). It is quite hard to drive though, so best paired with amps. Considering it is a pure BA set, the timbre is quite natural, I don't hear typical BA timbre on it. I quite like it for stage monitoring too, it seems to portray music quite accurately.

As for your query about S12 and Timeless, I haven't tried the S12, but the M9 eats the Timeless for breakfast, lunch and dinner in almost every department. The Timeless has a very compressed 2D soundstage and a bad instrumental timbre. But they are at different price brackets and using different transducer technology, so not a fair gauge per se.

As for your other query about the Tripowin Olina, they are pretty good for a $100 IEM, I think they can compete with some midFI single DDs like BQEYZ Autumn and Moondrop KATO, but the M9 is better in technicalities and tonality. The Olina if not used with mods is pretty hot around the lower treble region, and bass isn't as tight as in the M9. But once again, different price bracket, different tranducer tech.

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #2,255 of 3,652
Mild V-shape or thereabouts. I do like sub bass and a clean presentation without bleeding from mid-bass. Also like detailed treble (mostly for female vocals).

So basically IER-Z1R that I can lie-down with on the side 😅
I would recommend the LZ A7, you can get them for very low prices these days.

May 16, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #2,257 of 3,652
So basically IER-Z1R that I can lie-down with on the side 😅
In my opinion, the IE 900 is exactly what you're after. If you enjoy the Z1R, especially its best-in-class bass, and you want something close to that signature but ultralight and small enough for bed, that's the IE 900. I had both for exactly that reason, and still regret selling my IE 900 (only because I wanted to trim down to a one IEM system). The two are so similar even their cables are interchangeable. Trust me, for what you want, forget Chi-Fi, it's IE 900 all the way.

May 16, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #2,258 of 3,652
In my opinion, the IE 900 is exactly what you're after. If you enjoy the Z1R, especially its best-in-class bass, and you want something close to that signature but ultralight and small enough for bed, that's the IE 900. I had both for exactly that reason, and still regret selling my IE 900 (only because I wanted to trim down to a one IEM system). The two are so similar even their cables are interchangeable. Trust me, for what you want, forget Chi-Fi, it's IE 900 all the way.
Agreed. Their main difference is in the midrange. Z1R lower mids are recessed, IE900 upper mids are recessed. Actually quite a nice complement to each other if you enjoy big bass and treble overall :)

May 17, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #2,260 of 3,652
@Precogvision What do you think about adding a separate scores for the IEM's timbre and coherency (for the multi driver setups)?

It's definitely an interesting idea! Unfortunately, there are a number of limitations that keep me from doing so.

The biggest roadblock is that I'd have to go through the ranking list and update most of the entries from memory. This simply isn't possible because I haven't heard many of the IEMs on there in a long time.

Second, interpretation of timbre is very subjective. Without getting into the subject of decay and how it lends to timbre, the colloquial idea that timbre is the proper reproduction of instrument color means, to me, that IEMs that deviate from my neutrality technically do not have "correct" timbre. In essence, any IEM that takes creative liberties with frequency response - even if these adjustments are subjectively desirable to me - would have to score lower on such a metric. For this same reason, there are also plenty of single-driver IEMs that simply don't have good timbre in my opinion.

May 17, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #2,261 of 3,652
A couple teaser photos of the upcoming DUNU Vulkan...

IMG_2480.JPG

IMG_2481.JPG

vulkanpre-pro.jpg

protocomparison.jpg

(red is current, blue and green are previous prototypes)

May 17, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #2,262 of 3,652

CCA CRA+ Impressions​

Configuration: 1DD
Price: $28
Unit kindly provided for review by KZ.

graph (1).png

Got around to doing some quick A/B between the CRA+ and the original CRA today. For some context, you might recall my impressions of the original CRA where I was genuinely impressed because it was decently tuned and technical; hell, basically KZ's best IEM to date. It seems KZ's now two for two: I'm equally surprised to report that the CRA+ is better given KZ's less-than-stellar (read: awful) track record with successor IEMs.

In essence, the CRA+ is a more balanced iteration of the original CRA. It brings down the bass, the upper-midrange, and maintains the flavor of bright treble. Yes, the metallic timbre issues still are present - there's quite a lot of upper-treble splashy-ness - but the issue's been somewhat mitigated in the upper-midrange where the CRA could sound overly sibilant on certain consonants. I'd say the technicalities are all still here with the CRA+ too. I miss the CRA's bass quantity, but the unusual sense of slam is still present, as are the sharp, crisp transients that immediately grabbed my attention on the CRA.

Let's talk about the value question. Never would have I imagined that KZ would one day challenge the likes of Moondrop on their home turf, but...as they say, the proof is in the pudding. Sure, the CRA+ is neither quite as balanced as the Chu, nor does it have that slight trailing texture the Chu has which some might associate with "true" detail, but the CRA+ runs circles around its contemporary in the bass, treble extension, and dynamics departments. The CRA+ has every right to be a default recommendation at $30 as the Chu does for $20. It's almost shocking what KZ has managed to achieve with the single-DD topology and at such a cheap price point no less.

Bias Score: 4/10

I also have the EDX Ultra here, so I'll drop some brief thoughts. It's basically what you'd get if you took the CRA+ and cranked the upper-treble to 11 (and allow me to remind you the CRA+ is already pushing fatigue tolerances in this department). It's just too airy and makes me feel dizzy. In fact, the sheer quantity is bad to the point of which it starts masking the bass response on certain tracks; bass lines on the CRA+ seem tighter despite the CRA+ and EDX Ultra graphing almost identically in the bass region. The EDX Ultra is pretty alright overall, but it's just not my cup of tea. It might work better for older listeners.

May 18, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #2,263 of 3,652
That 5 on detail is almost a new for the sub $50 price bracket, the only sub $50 IEM that got a 5 on detail is the SSR which has a number of tonal issues to be a rec for most people (Other than Super Review's cult.)

KZ's motto should be: "Throw random cheapos against the wall and see what sticks"

May 18, 2022 at 5:42 PM Post #2,264 of 3,652
Let's talk about the value question. Never would have I imagined that KZ would one day challenge the likes of Moondrop on their home turf, but...as they say, the proof is in the pudding. Sure, the CRA+ is neither quite as balanced as the Chu, nor does it have that slight trailing texture the Chu has which some might associate with "true" detail, but the CRA+ runs circles around its contemporary in the bass, treble extension, and dynamics departments. The CRA+ has every right to be a default recommendation at $30 as the Chu does for $20. It's almost shocking what KZ has managed to achieve with the single-DD topology and at such a cheap price point no less.

Wholly agree on all accounts on CRA+ vs CRA and CRA+ vs Chu (posted to impressions in the CCA thread). Something about the Chu and vocals is more accurate to me but the CRA+ is much more exciting, dynamic and still balances the FR competitively. Treble extension on the CRA+ is mighty impressive at this price point.

May 18, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #2,265 of 3,652
Wholly agree on all accounts on CRA+ vs CRA and CRA+ vs Chu (posted to impressions in the CCA thread). Something about the Chu and vocals is more accurate to me but the CRA+ is much more exciting, dynamic and still balances the FR competitively. Treble extension on the CRA+ is mighty impressive at this price point.
Treble extension is so impressive that both CRA models put sets many times the price to absolute shame.

I don't know how KZ nailed the treble extension on two sets that land on the lowest price tier, its genuinely impressive.

Shows you KZ has potential and could even make an excellent flagship model if they ever decide to tackle this market with a luxury sub-brand or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back