Precog's IEM Reviews & Impressions
Jan 27, 2021 at 6:24 AM Post #361 of 3,652
Fiio FH3 Impressions

Fiio FH3.jpg

I get asked about this IEM pretty often, so I might as well jot some thoughts down. Thanks to Super*Review for the hookup as usual. The FH3 is a 1DD/2BA hybrid IEM from Fiio, a company probably better known for their DAPs.

The overall tonality sounds like something of a V-shape. Bass is largely sub-bass oriented, not leveling off until almost 600Hz. Apparently this IEM uses a beryllium DD; frankly, I wouldn't have called it. To my ears, the FH3's bass doesn't hold a candle to the MH755 in direct A/B comparison. Decent texture, but it leaves something to be desired in the transient attack with something of a pillowy-ness, perhaps akin to the Starfield/KXXS with a little more slam and quantity. Crossover to the midrange is decent, mainly by virtue of said blunting. The midrange itself seems uneven; particularly in the upper-mids, it's borderline sibilant and harsh. The FH3's treble is interesting. It does not sound laidback or smooth at all to me, despite some of the descriptions I've read and what the graph above shows. On the contrary, it sounds very much lower-treble oriented with fatiguing amounts of stick impact and a perplexing unevenness to it. Technicalities are pretty average, but I'm not a fan of the FH3's dynamic range; it sounds especially dampened considering this is a hybrid. The end result to my ears is a warm, overly congested presentation that sounds about equal parts fatiguing.

Ultimately, the FH3's tonality is chock-full of minor issues here and there, and the technical performance is middling for the price. I guess what I'm trying to get at, then, is that the FH3 is pretty alright. It doesn't do anything outright horrible, but unfortunately, I'm also not really hearing that special sauce. Just a straight beeline into the ever-growing pit of "other" IEMs I've heard and which I don't think I care too much for. I know some people enjoy this IEM quite a bit, and I see it has something of a cult-following, but...again, I'm just not hearing it.

Score: 3/10

I have the FH5 on-hand as well, but it has a channel imbalance so I don't want to comment too closely. Still, it sounds like a decent, respectable IEM to my ears despite sharing a very similar tonal balance. Campfire Dorado/Vega and Thieaudio Clairvoyance/Monarch/L5 should be showing up next week.
Just curious. What makes the FH5 "better" than the FH3?

Jan 28, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #364 of 3,652
Will you, maybe, review LZ A7?

Hi! I'll post thoughts on anything that I can get my hands on, but unfortunately, I don't have plans to either review or seek out that IEM.

Just curious. What makes the FH5 "better" than the FH3?

I haven't been able to get too much ear time on the FH5, and it has a fairly significant channel imbalance, so I'd prefer not to comment too closely!

Jan 28, 2021 at 9:49 PM Post #365 of 3,652
Shuoer Tape Pro Impressions

tape pro.jpg

Every once in a while, an IEM's reputation precedes it, and indeed, the Tape Pro is a prime example. With an accolade of 1-star reviews on Head-Fi (no easy feat, mind you) and no shortage of my fellow reviewers raving about how horrible it sounds, I knew I had to get my hands on one. Thanks to @antdroid for making it happen, although funnily enough, I was likewise thanked for "taking out the trash". So let's find out then: Just how bad is the Tape Pro?

To ease you in, let's start with the bass which is arguably the least offensive part of the Tape Pro's tuning. It's considerably mid-bass emphasized, and it's the epitome of everything wrong with mid-bass: bloat, smeared transient attack, you name it. But it's not unlistenable. No, no, unlistenable is the Tape Pro's midrange. It's a sibilant, sucked-out mess. Male vocalists sound nasal likely due to the unnatural ear gain. The 4kHz peak lends female vocalists to an unpleasant forwardness, occasionally managing to subvert outright sibilance because, well, it dips straight after. Cymbals have virtually zero impact, and treble is generally emphasized in all the wrong places. I don't know what to say. The Tape Pro has some of the worst timbre I've heard, and it's almost completely by virtue of how poor the tuning is.

Technicalities? No doubt, the standout here is the Tape Pro's dynamic range. The Tape Pro sounds incredibly compressed because of the 4kHz roll-off; it doesn't seem to scale swings at all. In all seriousness, though, I'd say the Tape Pro's imaging is acceptable. It certainly feels a tad more open than some other IEMs I've heard; however, that might be more attributable to all the unnatural peaks in the tuning. Outside of this, yeah, the Tape Pro doesn't really have any redeeming qualities, and it resolves more like your bog-standard $30 IEM.

In all fairness - and credit where credit is due - the Tape Pro is a challenge of preconceptions and of my experience as a reviewer. Like so, it might be one of the best "worst IEMs" I've heard, in that I can't help but admire how something went this wrong. At the same time, though, I don't think it's quite to the level of bad that other IEMs I've given a 1/10 have exhibited. Those IEMs had more latent meme factor - be it the trashy marketing or absurd pricing - and for that reason I think the Tape Pro can squeak by ever-so-slightly higher on the bias scale.

Score: 2/10

Jan 28, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #366 of 3,652

tape pro.jpg

Every once in a while, an IEM's reputation precedes it, and indeed, the Tape Pro is a prime example. With an accolade of 1-star reviews on Head-Fi (no easy feat, mind you) and no shortage of my fellow reviewers raving about how horrible it sounds, I knew I had to get my hands on one. Thanks to @antdroid for making it happen, although funnily enough, I was likewise thanked for "taking out the trash". So let's find out then: Just how bad is the Tape Pro?

To ease you in, let's start with the bass which is arguably the least offensive part of the Tape Pro's tuning. It's considerably mid-bass emphasized, and it's the epitome of everything wrong with mid-bass: bloat, smeared transient attack, you name it. But it's not unlistenable. No, no, unlistenable is the Tape Pro's midrange. It's a sibilant, sucked-out mess. Male vocalists sound nasal likely due to the unnatural ear gain. The 4kHz peak lends female vocalists to an unpleasant forwardness, occasionally managing to subvert outright sibilance because, well, it dips straight after. Cymbals have virtually zero impact, and treble is generally emphasized in all the wrong places. I don't know what to say. The Tape Pro has some of the worst timbre I've heard, and it's almost completely by virtue of how poor the tuning is.

Technicalities? No doubt, the standout here is the Tape Pro's dynamic range. The Tape Pro sounds incredibly compressed because of the 4kHz roll-off; it doesn't seem to scale swings at all. In all seriousness, though, I'd say the Tape Pro's imaging is acceptable. It certainly feels a tad more open than some other IEMs I've heard; however, that might be more attributable to all the unnatural peaks in the tuning. Outside of this, yeah, the Tape Pro doesn't really have any redeeming qualities, and it resolves more like your bog-standard $30 IEM.

In all fairness - and credit where credit is due - the Tape Pro is a challenge of preconceptions and of my experience as a reviewer. Like so, it might be one of the best "worst IEMs" I've heard, in that I can't help but admire how something went this wrong. At the same time, though, I don't think it's quite to the level of bad that other IEMs I've given a 1/10 have exhibited. Those IEMs had more latent meme factor - be it the trashy marketing or absurd pricing - and for that reason I think the Tape Pro can squeak by ever-so-slightly higher on the bias scale.

I find it curious though how some people do find the TP appealing, and I think they genuinely like it quite a lot. On the whole, it seems to get more negative feedback, but it is not universally panned. I wonder if there are some “good copies” out there?

Jan 28, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #367 of 3,652
I find it curious though how some people do find the TP appealing, and I think they genuinely like it quite a lot. On the whole, it seems to get more negative feedback, but it is not universally panned. I wonder if there are some “good copies” out there?

The tuning I measured has been confirmed by a Shuoer representative to be the official, intended tuning. In my opinion, this is more closely an example of expectation bias dictating earlier, positive impressions. Of course, expectation bias goes both ways (my not-so-favorable intro of the TP is a pretty good example), and there's always a subset of listeners for which a tuning will appeal to dearly - if which is the case, then I say rock on.

Jan 29, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #368 of 3,652
The tuning I measured has been confirmed by a Shuoer representative to be the official, intended tuning. In my opinion, this is more closely an example of expectation bias dictating earlier, positive impressions. Of course, expectation bias goes both ways (my not-so-favorable intro of the TP is a pretty good example), and there's always a subset of listeners for which a tuning will appeal to dearly - if which is the case, then I say rock on.
True!

And on the topic of expectation bias, I have to say, I actually admire those who are the first people to go against the generally held consensus opinion, assuming they are sincere, and are not just oppositional just for the sake of it. It can often be hard to overcome expectation bias, and approach each listen with an open mind.

Jan 29, 2021 at 8:23 AM Post #369 of 3,652

tape pro.jpg

Well, if we convert your scoring system into the 0-5 range. That is actually a 1/5 rating lol. :joy:

Jan 29, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #370 of 3,652
Owned S8 for near a year now, and recently purchased Dusk. S8 is better for vocals and classical music, especially with a cable swap. Dusk is good for pop, rock, and techno.

The ultimate purchase decision depends on the source. If coming from something like WM1A. For the purpose of listening at home. Get the S8.

If plugged into iphone and walking outside, get the Dusk. This choice is also way cheaper since you skipped the DAP and cable swap.

The Dusk is more forgiving on sources. The bass is just great for tracks like Astronomia and Rainspark. It might even scale less with DAPs and cable upgrades, since Crinacle tuned it with the stock cable, and cheap DAPs aren't that much better than phones.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #371 of 3,652
Tanchjim Darling Impressions

Traded some more IEMs w/ Super* today - gonna be a busy week going through everything I picked up! For those who might not know, Tanchjim is basically Moondrop's brother that wasn't able to fully capitalize on the hype train Moondrop's IEMs have enjoyed. This is likely attributable to their products being more expensive, effectively relegating them to another price bracket. Nonetheless, they've been on my radar for some time, and I'm particularly interested in their Oxygen IEM. For now, though, the Darling will have to suffice. It's a 1DD/2BA bullet-style IEM. Unusual, but definitely cool to see something eschewing tradition.

tanchjimdarling.jpg

Bass exhibits strong presence on the Darling, pushing through into the lower-midrange. I cannot deny the slam and density of the Darling's dynamic driver; however, it does seem somewhat slow at times, smearing macro-detail more than it should on quicker, bass-centric tracks. Here, it does seem like the in-your-face clarity of the midrange that comes from such a pronounced ear compensation exacerbates the usual coherency issues of a DD contrasted to a BA. Thankfully, I do find decay in the midrange to be cleaner, more natural than something like the B2. And speaking of which, let's address the tonality of the midrange: Contrary to what it might look like on the graph, I don't think it sounds all that shouty in practice. Perhaps it's the bass shelf balancing it out some, or maybe it's the quick slope after keeping things from getting out of hand; I think it works even if it's pushing it. Like a more in-your-face midrange? The Darling's your, well, darling.

Treble on the Darling is something of a sore spot, though. It sounds like mostly crash with a small peak somewhere from around 8-10kHz; it follows that it's lacking in about equal parts impact and extension. However, I say this in a more "in-practice" sense. The 17kHz peak on the graph is real. I hear it running sine sweeps; still, it's so high up that I mainly hear it as a slight zingy-ness to the decay of instruments. It doesn't help that it dips strongly right after and is rolled-off by 17.5kHz. This is not unlike the 64A Nio's peak - only stronger and minus the extension - and I'd wager that a large demographic of listeners won't even hear it. YMMV and all that; to the contrary, some might find it fatiguing.

Either way, this pseudo air in the treble likely benefits the Darling's imaging to some extent. Imaging seats itself in "above average" territory as some others have noted. Staging is neither exceptional nor is positional incisiveness; however, the Darling does have some solidity to the image it projects, particularly when it comes to left-right separation. The center image also exhibits more height and diffusal than something like the Monarch. The Darling resolves sufficiently, perhaps just a tad behind some other IEMs in its price bracket. Dynamics are satisfactory.

In short, the Darling's a pretty decent IEM. Is it $419 decent, though? I'm inclined to say no. Competition is tough at this price point, and stuff like the Dusk, B2, and SA6 are all more than happy to play ball. I see what Tanchjim was going for, and yet, I do think the tuning of the Darling leaves something to be desired, particularly in the treble. And really, that's a bummer because the build, accessories, and presentation of the Darling are all top-notch in my opinion.

Score: 5/10

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 2:13 AM Post #372 of 3,652
Tanchjim Darling Impressions

Traded some more IEMs w/ Super* today - gonna be a busy week going through everything I picked up! For those who might not know, Tanchjim is basically Moondrop's brother that wasn't able to fully capitalize on the hype train Moondrop's IEMs have enjoyed. This is likely attributable to their products being more expensive, effectively relegating them to another price bracket. Nonetheless, they've been on my radar for some time, and I'm particularly interested in their Oxygen IEM. For now, though, the Darling will have to suffice. It's a 1DD/2BA bullet-style IEM. Unusual, but definitely cool to see something eschewing tradition.

tanchjimdarling.jpg

Bass exhibits strong presence on the Darling, pushing through into the lower-midrange. I cannot deny the slam and density of the Darling's dynamic driver; however, it does seem somewhat slow at times, smearing macro-detail more than it should on quicker, bass-centric tracks. Here, it does seem like the in-your-face clarity of the midrange that comes from such an aggressive ear gain exacerbates the usual coherency issues of a DD contrasted to a BA. Thankfully, I do find decay in the midrange to be cleaner, more natural than something like the B2. And speaking of which, let's address the tonality of the midrange: Contrary to what it might look like on the graph, I don't think it sounds all that shouty in practice. Perhaps it's the bass shelf balancing it out some, or maybe it's the quick slope after keeping things from getting out of hand; I think it works even if it's pushing it. Like a more in-your-face midrange? The Darling's your, well, darling.

Treble on the Darling is something of a sore spot, though. It sounds like mostly crash with a small peak somewhere from around 8-10kHz; it follows that it's lacking in about equal parts impact and extension. However, I say this in a more "in-practice" sense. The 17kHz peak on the graph is real. I hear it running sine sweeps; still, it's so high up that I mainly hear it as a slight zingy-ness to the decay of instruments. It doesn't help that it dips strongly right after and is rolled-off by 17.5kHz. This is not unlike the 64A Nio's peak - only stronger and minus the extension - and I'd wager that a large demographic of listeners won't even hear it. YMMV and all that; to the contrary, some might find it fatiguing.

Either way, this pseudo air in the treble likely benefits the Darling's imaging to some extent. Imaging seats itself in "above average" territory as some others have noted. Staging is neither exceptional nor is positional incisiveness; however, the Darling does have some solidity to the image it projects, particularly when it comes to left-right separation. The center image also exhibits more height and diffusal than something like the Monarch. The Darling resolves sufficiently, perhaps just a tad behind some other IEMs in its price bracket. Dynamics are satisfactory.

In short, the Darling's a pretty decent IEM. Is it $419 decent, though? I'm inclined to say no. Competition is tough at this price point, and stuff like the Dusk, B2, and SA6 are all more than happy to play ball. I see what Tanchjim was going for, and yet, I do think the tuning of the Darling leaves something to be desired, particularly in the treble. And really, that's a bummer because the build, accessories, and presentation of the Darling are all top-notch in my opinion.

Score: 5/10
You tried Darling on thier stock tips? I'm curious about the air tips.

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #373 of 3,652
You tried Darling on thier stock tips? I'm curious about the air tips.

Yes, it was using stock tips. I haven't played around with the tip depth yet which is something I'll probably explore more closely in the full-review - pending it actually makes a difference, of course.

Some more general updates for the thread:

I likely won't be posting too much for the next couple weeks, as I've been super busy with classes and work in general; I'll be starting to do video reviews for the Headphone Show YouTube channel. I've also purchased a Hidition Viento-B that should be on its way to me soon thanks to a friend who's proxying for me in Korea. Super pumped to hear that!

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #374 of 3,652
Yes, it was using stock tips. I haven't played around with the tip depth yet which is something I'll probably explore more closely in the full-review - pending it actually makes a difference, of course.

I likely won't be posting too much for the next couple weeks, as I've been super busy with classes and work in general; I'll be starting to do video reviews for the Headphone Show YouTube channel. I've also purchased a Hidition Viento-B that should be on its way to me soon thanks to a friend who's proxying for me in Korea. Super pumped to hear that!
ok thanks, me too proxing the EE odin!😄😊

Feb 2, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #375 of 3,652

Just watched your review from Headphone Show, congrats! I think your reviews is always informative and with Headphone Show concept It's even nice to watch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back