Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200)
Aug 26, 2013 at 1:01 AM Post #466 of 3,060
New LOD for the Nano.
It is a repurposed S.M.S.L SPC mini now with a 30 pin connector on the other end.

Working great with this budget rig.
iPod Nano 3rd Generation, FiiO E11 and the Koss TBSE1's

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #467 of 3,060
I hope you get to keep it running good for the days to come! A friend of mine had a 5.5G Classic, he tried a lot to fix it because he loved it a lot. Sadly replacement parts aren't available in my country. :frowning2:

It's been running good for the past month:) Yes, it's been a month or so since I last received it, but I only decided to repost it now, because Rockbox is now running smoothly on it, and I patched it up for the second time:) 

Quote:
New LOD for the Nano.
It is a repurposed S.M.S.L SPC mini now with a 30 pin connector on the other end.

Working great with this budget rig.
iPod Nano 3rd Generation, FiiO E11 and the Koss TBSE1's

Good job on the DIY LOD! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #468 of 3,060
Nice to hear that SkyBleu :)

Great rig TrollDragon! Been following your rigs for quite a while, I like the matched colors, especially the LOD and headphone cable.

Speaking of LODs, my L5 doesn't bend like that, it still is the way it came in the package. I'll have a hard time when the E07k arrives, I was thinking of putting the Walkman over it, but I'm afraid the stress will be too much on the LOD. Anyway can I make it bend like you have, TrollDragon? I don't wanna damage it though.

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #469 of 3,060
Quote:
Great rig TrollDragon! Been following your rigs for quite a while, I like the matched colors, especially the LOD and headphone cable.

Speaking of LODs, my L5 doesn't bend like that, it still is the way it came in the package. I'll have a hard time when the E07k arrives, I was thinking of putting the Walkman over it, but I'm afraid the stress will be too much on the LOD. Anyway can I make it bend like you have, TrollDragon? I don't wanna damage it though.

Thanks!

That S.M.S.L mini had another mini on the other end when it came from China, two SPC wires with a braided SPC shield all tightly wrapped in a Teflon / nylon wrap then the jacket on top of that was some nasty stiff plastic substance. To finish it off they sheathed it inside some cheap nylon Techflex. 14/2 electrical house wire was more flexible than this little cable. 
mad.gif

I should have sent it back but it would not have been worth it so you live and learn.

I figured if I just take one of the ends off I can remove all the foolishness separate the wires and make it more functional. Well they epoxied the ends together and I almost destroyed one trying to unscrew the shell. The other day I got tired of looking at this rough little cable and just lopped the bad end off. Yup jam packed full of epoxy threads and all after I cut the end apart with the Dremel.

So I had a spare iPod connector that I wasn't using and voila an new LOD.

The only way to get something flexible is like what I did with that cable, peel away all the jackets and sheaths till there was 2 wires and the braid left. I puller the two wires out of the braid down by where they come out of the connector. Sheathed all three wires in that headphone sheath and soldered them up to the iPod connector.

That is the only way you are going to make a LOD that flexible is to separate the wires or have flexible wire to start with. Unfortunately there is probably nothing you can do with the L5 as it is all moulded. See if you can get the Sony LOD connector off eBay with a nice end with some wire and have yourself a DIY LOD as well!
beerchug.gif

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #470 of 3,060
KSC75s, aren't they? That does seem like a pretty good combo! Is the amp necessary though? or do you use it for a bit of bass boost?

Actually they have the hi flight mods. One of which is a higher impedance adapter :)

Aug 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #471 of 3,060

diymod 5g + FiiO E12 + Rock It Sounds R-50

For me its budget friendly, since i bought used iPod for about 70 bucks and modded it with friend for additional 21 bucks (pure silver wire, capacitors, clear case)..

Aug 26, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #472 of 3,060
Quote:
Thanks!.........................See if you can get the Sony LOD connector off eBay with a nice end with some wire and have yourself a DIY LOD as well!
beerchug.gif

whoa you really put a lot of effort on the LOD! Good to know it all worked in the end. Ah, Soldering, that's something I was trying to avoid lol, I burned my finger last week trying to solder a couple of IEM drivers, guess I'll have to man up again lol. I think I'll try bending the L5 normally. If it doesn't work I'll look up eBay.

There's one LOD at ebay that's interesting - (http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-SONY-WM-PORT-LINE-OUT-DOCK-W-3-5MM-JACK-/290436263970?pt=US_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item439f59b022)  But I don't really trust it as much as I trust the L5.

Quote:
Actually they have the hi flight mods. One of which is a higher impedance adapter
smily_headphones1.gif

Ah that explains. Keep up the good work mate!

Aug 27, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #473 of 3,060
Quote:
diymod 5g + FiiO E12 + Rock It Sounds R-50

For me its budget friendly, since i bought used iPod for about 70 bucks and modded it with friend for additional 21 bucks (pure silver wire, capacitors, clear case)..

That ipod is simply beautiful 
beerchug.gif

Aug 30, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #474 of 3,060
Fantastic thread...just read up to the last post last night.

Wanted to share my own low-power portable. Old clip in mirror finish i had bought for my nephew which he outgrew, so i reclaimed it, and a pair of Sony MDR-XB90EX (the Japanese import ones) MDRXB60EX/GLD with Comply S500's in Schnozberry flavor. I have the Clip, clipped onto my watch band.

The Clip was a refurb unit from Amazon and the Sony's were on sale back in December for US$ 8935 The Clip i got for $32 in 2011.

Use this to listen to friskyradio sets while going to sleep or watching tv, lounging, doing nothing, working on work things, etc.

Have a few other older low-budget daps i love porting around, but this is in my pocket most of the time lately.

Thanks for the thread,
Keep 'em coming.

edit: wrong buds...sorry.

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #475 of 3,060
I always wanted one of those mirror finish ones! Never got one though....lol.

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #477 of 3,060
Quote:
There's one LOD at ebay that's interesting.

You can pick up the LOD connector from lunashops.com, just get a 3.5mm TRS plug while your there and build away!
http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=3149

They have some really nice looking plugs too.
http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=2136

Only thing is it takes a full 4 weeks to get stuff from them, to Canada anyway.
beerchug.gif

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #478 of 3,060
Hey guys

I kinda quit head-fi a while back (see link in my sub) but I thought that this was too good not to share with the rest of you budget-fiers. 

About a year ago, I purchased a pair of Jet Black idAmerica Spark IEMs for $29.99 (MSRP $59.99) at the reccomendation of ljokerl. As all $30 earphones do, these broke (Right channel volume was 30% of left channel) and I moved on to other headphones. Today, I discovered these in my back yard on the roof of my shed. I have NO CLUE how they got there, but the best is yet to come. 

These (Aluminium) earphones have been exposed to the elements (immense California sun, rain, dirt, ect) for at least 4 months and have taken on a very cool looking black/gold gradient color. The part of the earphones not touching the roof of my shed is now bronze/gold, and the part that was touching has remained black.

AND THE BEST PART IS that somehow by act of God, THEY NOW WORK PERFECTLY. No more channel imbalance that I can detect.  

I might do a giveaway on these sometime in the future (still have original box/carrying case/eartips that came with them)

BUT JUST LOOK AT THESE BABIES  (Pic doesn't really do them justice)

Aug 30, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #479 of 3,060
Hey guys

I kinda quit head-fi a while back (see link in my sub) but I thought that this was too good not to share with the rest of you budget-fiers. 

About a year ago, I purchased a pair of Jet Black idAmerica Spark IEMs for $29.99 (MSRP $59.99) at the reccomendation of ljokerl. As all $30 earphones do, these broke (Right channel volume was 30% of left channel) and I moved on to other headphones. Today, I discovered these in my back yard on the roof of my shed. I have NO CLUE how they got there, but the best is yet to come. 

These (Aluminium) earphones have been exposed to the elements (immense California sun, rain, dirt, ect) for at least 4 months and have taken on a very cool looking black/gold gradient color. The part of the earphones not touching the roof of my shed is now bronze/gold, and the part that was touching has remained black.

AND THE BEST PART IS that somehow by act of God, THEY NOW WORK PERFECTLY. No more channel imbalance that I can detect.  

I might do a giveaway on these sometime in the future (still have original box/carrying case/eartips that came with them)

BUT JUST LOOK AT THESE BABIES  (Pic doesn't really do them justice)

That's crazy!!! How'd they wind up there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back