Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200)
Aug 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM Post #452 of 3,060
Quote:

This is actually my night time rig, surprises me how much I actually love it!

Amazing how much better the EarPods sound than the old-school i-buds did. 
etysmile.gif

Aug 25, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #455 of 3,060
Here's my 50cent iPod Mini 2G which I Rockbox'd, paired with my C5 (Yes, I know this is not budget) via a AudioMinor SPC LOD.

The "budget" part of this rig is just my iPod Mini 2G. (Please ignore the C5 at the bottom of the iPod. I was just too lazy to disassemble it to show just my Mini:)

About the Mini...I picked it up from a garage sale for 50 cents, and it was pretty much broken to say the least. Click wheel was all scratched up and fairly unresponsive, the metallic blue body and screen was scratched with chips everywhere around the edges, and it was missing the plastic caps at the top and bottom of the iPod - leaving the internals visible to the exterior environment. Also, the HOLD button was missing, and battery life was terrible with like 4-hour play time max.

What I did to it...After buying the poor thing, I decided it was best to patch up the Mini and use it as my budget device. A new battery was bought for $3, along with a new click-wheel for $8. I then installed the new parts, used a white sticker to wrap its scratched body, filled its interior with blue-tack where necessary to prevent shock, and smoothed it out, so it would look normal without its internals exposed. The click-wheel is vinyl wrapped with some matte black vinyl, and duct tape can be seen at both ends of the iPod to make those parts look more smooth, and to not reveal any chipped bumps. Lastly, I installed Rockbox on it, and now it runs amazingly for the price I paid, with a good 12+ hours of play time, sleek new UI of Rockbox, and looks unique.

The IEMs that I use with it when I'm on-the-go, are the VSD1S by Vsonic (not seen in the picture for the same reason my C5 was in it).

Aug 25, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #457 of 3,060
Lovely rig SkyBleu! Have that exact LOD.

so long as it sounds good your laughing!

Good LOD this one..cheap and works great!

Its not my main rig or anything, I just thought I'd amp the Mini to see what it could do. I must say...Not bad for 50cents...not bad at all! :D

Aug 25, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #459 of 3,060
SkyBleu, that's a very touching story on the mini :'). It's nice when people feel that toward DAPs, I remember my old NW-A805, the thing that made me realize my love towards music. Even if its cheap, as long as it makes you feel good, as marko93101 said, it's all good! two thumbs up on saving the mini and making it the proper DAP it deserves to be :D

marko93101, Sonys have a nice sound to them, that's the reason I bought another one after my old one died. I think you can get cheap used ones from ebay.

Aug 25, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #461 of 3,060
I hope you get a good one! One thing though don't get one that's a bit too old, I had deal on an used E436F for around 35$ but #1, it was released I think around 2007-08, and #2 it was used for more than 2.5 years and it was pretty beat up as well. My old A805 lasted 3 years (bought in 2007) and it even was not as beat up as that. So I bailed on that deal. Look for things like these, I currently baby my E474 and I hope it lasts 4+ years. I got the E474 because it was made in 2012 instead of an A844 (same price) that was in the shop since 2010 I think.

Thank you again and yeah I'm on ABi as well. Here are a couple more pics for your viewing pleasure!

Aug 25, 2013 at 5:28 PM Post #463 of 3,060
Quote:
I hope you get a good one! One thing though don't get one that's a bit too old, I had deal on an used E436F for around 35$ but #1, it was released I think around 2007-08, and #2 it was used for more than 2.5 years and it was pretty beat up as well. My old A805 lasted 3 years (bought in 2007) and it even was not as beat up as that. So I bailed on that deal. Look for things like these, I currently baby my E474 and I hope it lasts 4+ years. I got the E474 because it was made in 2012 instead of an A844 (same price) that was in the shop since 2010 I think.

Thank you again and yeah I'm on ABi as well. Here are a couple more pics for your viewing pleasure!

The only thing that would annoy me is that they don't seem to have expandable memory! Other than that they seem like great players!

Aug 25, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #464 of 3,060
Quote:
SkyBleu, that's a very touching story on the mini :'). It's nice when people feel that toward DAPs, I remember my old NW-A805, the thing that made me realize my love towards music. Even if its cheap, as long as it makes you feel good, as marko93101 said, it's all good! two thumbs up on saving the mini and making it the proper DAP it deserves to be :D

marko93101, Sonys have a nice sound to them, that's the reason I bought another one after my old one died. I think you can get cheap used ones from ebay.

Thanks!

It's always good to play around with cheap devices, because during the revival process, you also learn more about its internals, and the unit will feel like its worth more upon its rebirth. At least, that's what I felt, when I revived the Mini :)

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #465 of 3,060
Quote:
The Average White Band sounds pretty damn good from this sub-$100 setup.

KSC75s, aren't they? That does seem like a pretty good combo! Is the amp necessary though? or do you use it for a bit of bass boost?

Quote:

The only thing that would annoy me is that they don't seem to have expandable memory! Other than that they seem like great players!

Yeah, you're right about them not giving a microSD slot. I really thought the newly released E580 would get one. But they are pretty good players.

Quote:
Thanks! It's always good to play around with cheap devices, because during the revival process, you also learn more about its internals, and the unit will feel like its worth more upon its rebirth. At least, that's what I felt, when I revived the Mini :)

I hope you get to keep it running good for the days to come! A friend of mine had a 5.5G Classic, he tried a lot to fix it because he loved it a lot. Sadly replacement parts aren't available in my country. :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back