Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200)
Oct 20, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #1,846 of 3,060
iTouch is better sounding, faster etc than the budget android devices I've tried
frown.gif

You've not tried the Moto G then? 
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #1,848 of 3,060
This phone was on sale for $40 and besides the screen has better specs including micro SD and lte if you actually activate it. Headphone out isn't very loud but pretty good with iems. I hope my pistons come in tommorow

I was replying to indieman. He said the budget phones sound bad, but the Moto G measures up there with the best of phones in sound quality.

Oct 20, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #1,850 of 3,060

I was replying to indieman. He said the budget phones sound bad, but the Moto G measures up there with the best of phones in sound quality.

I have a Moto G (1st gen) and I disagree. Using my VSonic GR07 BE, both my $20 Sansa Clip+ and my old iPod Nano 6G sound significantly more clear, more crisp, and louder. My Moto G fails to drive my GR07 to its fullest potential; bass is not crisp at all, rather sounds dirty, fails to deliver the clarity these IEMs are praised for, and cannot go as loud. I could perhaps fix this with DAC (can't confirm if this is possible), but I only listen to music through these in the gym.

Then again, I didn't expect too much for a $200 phone. I'm pretty happy with everything else. My next phone will be the iPhone 6.

Oct 21, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #1,851 of 3,060
I have a Moto G (1st gen) and I disagree. Using my VSonic GR07 BE, both my $20 Sansa Clip+ and my old iPod Nano 6G sound significantly more clear, more crisp, and louder. My Moto G fails to drive my GR07 to its fullest potential; bass is not crisp at all, rather sounds dirty, fails to deliver the clarity these IEMs are praised for, and cannot go as loud. I could perhaps fix this with DAC (can't confirm if this is possible), but I only listen to music through these in the gym.

Then again, I didn't expect too much for a $200 phone. I'm pretty happy with everything else. My next phone will be the iPhone 6.
I don't get that. I'd rather gave a phone like the moto g that is cheaper to replace entire phone then a cracked iPhone screen and spend the differential on something like an x1 and a real good point and shoot

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #1,852 of 3,060
I have been using a 1st gen Moto G 8GB for almost a year now, primarily for Spotify Extreme, and although the USB audio implementation took a while to settle down and only became truly plug and play with the roll out of KitKat, for the past 6 months I can have zero complaints. I've been a card carrying iOS advocate for years, but Motorola have played a blinder with this phone.

In fairness the onboard DAC ain't too shabby at all, but I maintain that even the low cost Stoner Acoustics UD110 DAC improves the audio, and although it is perhaps only a margin of approx 10% improvement to the audio, I do consider it a worthwhile investment when the purpose is to extract the most from a modest financial outlay (I can use the DAC with my Mac and iOS gear aswell). Google Play through Bubble UPnP on the Moto G rendered out to a Denon Piccolo has come to replace my iTunes Match through 2nd gen Apple TV for domestic cloud/streamed listening. I could root the phone to push Spotify over Airplay to the Piccolo, but I have no real need to as I have an iPad for any airplay audio demands (Airplay rocks).

I'm tempted to upgrade to the 1st gen LTE model, as it has an SD card slot aswell as 4G aerials. Much as the new Moto G (2014) has a larger screen, stereo speakers, much improved camera and dual SIM slots I really prefer the size of the original phone.

However I'd be willing to excuse the heft of the 2nd gen and look forward to a dual SIM Moto G with LTE arriving in a couple of months.

One last thing - you have got to admire Motorola's offering continued OS upgrades. Even the original Moto G will get Lollipop in the coming months.

Oct 21, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #1,854 of 3,060
Before this gets turned into a big "Phone Discussion" lets get back to some pictures, as it really is a picture thread... 
biggrin.gif

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #1,855 of 3,060
I have been using a 1st gen Moto G 8GB for almost a year now, primarily for Spotify Extreme, and although the USB audio implementation took a while to settle down and only became truly plug and play with the roll out of KitKat, for the past 6 months I can have zero complaints. I've been a card carrying iOS advocate for years, but Motorola have played a blinder with this phone.

In fairness the onboard DAC ain't too shabby at all, but I maintain that even the low cost Stoner Acoustics UD110 DAC improves the audio, and although it is perhaps only a margin of approx 10% improvement to the audio, I do consider it a worthwhile investment when the purpose is to extract the most from a modest financial outlay (I can use the DAC with my Mac and iOS gear aswell). Google Play through Bubble UPnP on the Moto G rendered out to a Denon Piccolo has come to replace my iTunes Match through 2nd gen Apple TV for domestic cloud/streamed listening. I could root the phone to push Spotify over Airplay to the Piccolo, but I have no real need to as I have an iPad for any airplay audio demands (Airplay rocks).

I'm tempted to upgrade to the 1st gen LTE model, as it has an SD card slot aswell as 4G aerials. Much as the new Moto G (2014) has a larger screen, stereo speakers, much improved camera and dual SIM slots I really prefer the size of the original phone.

However I'd be willing to excuse the heft of the 2nd gen and look forward to a dual SIM Moto G with LTE arriving in a couple of months.

One last thing - you have got to admire Motorola's offering continued OS upgrades. Even the original Moto G will get Lollipop in the coming months.
so there will be an lte version that will work on both cdma and gsm networks? I might pick one up if thats the case

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #1,856 of 3,060
In response to

indieman : I can't say for certain that it will work with all USB DACs, but it works for all sessions of music, video, games & other media with the Stoner Acoustics DAC. Like I say, with the current release of KitKat, 4.4.4, it's as simple as plug and play. Previous to 4.4.4 the volume of the USB output could not be attenuated unless you were to reboot with the DAC attached. Now, you plug it in, hardware volume buttons will decrease/increase the volume on all app audio as defined as "music, video, games & other media" as per settings/device/sound/volume. Plug the DAC out - audio reverts to the default setting i.e. the phones speaker. No more reboots. Just sweet music.

Mamamia88 : I am in Europe, afaik we only need contend ourselves with GSM LTE/4G bands here, check the specs on the current Moto G 4G, I'd imagine the expected hardware update (I know nothing, am just projecting here) will be similar or better spec'ed.

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #1,857 of 3,060
Indieman : sorry, yes Google Play music works as do all audio emitting apps, including USB Audio Player Pro.

Plenty info here on Android + USB DACs :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #1,858 of 3,060

yeah I'm on a cdma network now but I might want to try the T-Mobile $30 plan and for that I need gsm.

Oct 21, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #1,859 of 3,060
Seconding TrollDragon's post above you guys, if you want to talk ET phone home maybe talk via PM, otherwise we're going to swing way off course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back