Pictures of Your *Budget-Fi* Portable Rig (< $200)
Oct 17, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #1,816 of 3,060
I actually thought regular IEM sounded quite good with the adapter despite comments I'd read. Standard IEM like Dunu DN-1000 and some other hybrids I own I preferred more than RE-400B balanced.,no problems there. It's more the thin frail wire the adapters made from and it's cable management system connected to the player. It just dangles below the unit like a lost cause.

But the sound is great!

That SQ part is good to know, looks like it may be time to have an excellent DIY cable builder look into making a better adapter cable. I'm still finding it hard to believe I'll have truly balanced output from the 1/8" adapter plug in
confused_face.gif
 I started to get the HM-601 but thought the 700 would be different
rolleyes.gif
 I like the look and slim design of the 700. 

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #1,817 of 3,060
That SQ part is good to know, looks like it may be time to have an excellent DIY cable builder look into making a better adapter cable. I'm still finding it hard to believe I'll have truly balanced output from the 1/8" adapter plug in:confused_face:  I started to get the HM-601 but thought the 700 would be different:rolleyes:  I like the look and slim design of the 700. 

HM-700 sounds better than HM-601, cleaner, closer to neutral, plus with HM-601's 6-8 hour run times I was pulling my hair out after a while. Never off the charger mine was. See how you go with the adapter, it just comes across to me as laziness from Hifimans behalf. Surely there could have been a more efficient way.

Anyway, good luck with it!

Oct 17, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #1,820 of 3,060
Curious how the x1 fares versus the kogan. ..
Can the hm700 be used as a dac?

HM-700 cannot be used as a DAC.

Between Kogan and X1 Its not exactly easy to just say one is better than the other as they both provide different signatures. Kogan is definitely more detailed, the way it extracts detail  and clarity is pushing up with DX50 unit or my Studio V (as you may have read). But, the question is....do you just listen for detail. Is detail the first and foremost thing you want in your music? Do you like a thinner brighter sound or a thicker slightly warmer one?

That's where X1 comes in with better bass response and a little more refinement, slightly smoother listening. In my opinion neither player is going to take a stand bursting ahead of the other, but then again others leave their X1 redundant since purchasing Kogan, I am not one of those people, I am also still on a honey moon period with X1.

The real answer to your question lies in due time when people settle in with each unit. 
wink.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #1,824 of 3,060
Oct 18, 2014 at 1:51 AM Post #1,825 of 3,060
X1 all day on both accounts.

Told you - you'd like it. :wink:   Have you tried your Goldring?

You did!

Im listening with the DR150 right now. Not sure if it pairs well with them. It sounds good but maybe a little docile in the bass. Needs a little extra oomph IMO. But not bad.

Oct 18, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #1,826 of 3,060
You did!

Im listening with the DR150 right now. Not sure if it pairs well with them. It sounds good but maybe a little docile in the bass. Needs a little extra oomph IMO. But not bad.

Try hooking your E17 up as an amp (or E11K) and try that way. Take advantage of X1's line out. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #1,827 of 3,060
Try hooking your E17 up as an amp (or E11K) and try that way. Take advantage of X1's line out. 

It works great with the E11k, havent tried the E17 with it yet.
At the moment im evaluating it stock standard.

Oct 18, 2014 at 6:19 PM Post #1,830 of 3,060
  If I was forced to keep this rig for the rest of my life; I'd die happy. This is a match made in heaven!

FiiO X1 + Xiaomi Pistons 2

OMG, this is going to sound silly, probably, but since the Pistons are made for IOS or Android devices, I was wondering if using them in a player with a normal 3.5mm headphone out caused false contacts or stuff like that, which I have found with cans made for Android on normal audio jacks. Is this truth or the Pistons can be used with any player?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back