[LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones.
Nov 14, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #196 of 447
Quote:
I own the Matrix M stage, works well with low impedance phones such as the Dk5. (not a zealot 
biggrin.gif
)

Other amps i've tried with them:
O2 amp - quick demo, it sounded fine
HA-160Ds
V200
E17

What do you think of the Matrix M stage compared to the E17? (I have an E17 and I'll might consider gettting the M stage instead.)

Nov 15, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #197 of 447
Quote:
What do you think of the Matrix M stage compared to the E17? (I have an E17 and I'll might consider gettting the M stage instead.)

Well considering the DAC is equally important, what are you going to use as the source?

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #198 of 447
Hello everybody,
I own a D5000 and I love it. I mostly use it travalling, paired with a Ipod 5.5 80g playing lossless audio and a P4 Warbler iBasso amp. I know very little about amp, impedance and this sort of things unfortunately, but what I can say is that I am unable to tell the difference between listening with the amp or directly out of the ipod (outside of the level of the sound obviously). I do not believe there is any quality improvement.

Here are the specs of the ibasso. Any idea why this may be?

- ThreeChannel/ Four Channel compatible architecture
- Totally 8 gold-plated DIP sockets for OPAMPs and Buffers rolling
- 2-Setting Gain Jumper for impedance matching 
- Powered by 12.6V Li-polymer battery pack, or external 16V power adapter
- 40 hours play time with stock opamps (TLE2141 Class A*2, BUF634U*2, dummy adapter*2)
- High output power, 600mW+600mW into 32Ω
- High quality components, such as, gold plated PCB, ALPS volume pot, Nichicon cap, Vishay resistors, Switchcraft jacks. 
- Measures 55*24*92mm, and weighs 156g
- Comes with power adapter, leather pouch, rubber feet, connection cable, warranty card, and opamp rolling kit. (includes AD797*2, OPA604*2, TLE2141 Class A*2, BUF634P WB*2, BUF634U*2, Transistor BUF*2, Dummy adapter*4)

I am now looking ate the Matrix-M stage now. Any other great (only) portable amp?

Thanks a lot

Vlad from Madrid

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:53 AM Post #199 of 447
Quote:
Hello everybody,
I own a D5000 and I love it. I mostly use it travalling, paired with a Ipod 5.5 80g playing lossless audio and a P4 Warbler iBasso amp. I know very little about amp, impedance and this sort of things unfortunately, but what I can say is that I am unable to tell the difference between listening with the amp or directly out of the ipod (outside of the level of the sound obviously). I do not believe there is any quality improvement.

Here are the specs of the ibasso. Any idea why this may be?

- ThreeChannel/ Four Channel compatible architecture
- Totally 8 gold-plated DIP sockets for OPAMPs and Buffers rolling
- 2-Setting Gain Jumper for impedance matching 
- Powered by 12.6V Li-polymer battery pack, or external 16V power adapter
- 40 hours play time with stock opamps (TLE2141 Class A*2, BUF634U*2, dummy adapter*2)
- High output power, 600mW+600mW into 32Ω
- High quality components, such as, gold plated PCB, ALPS volume pot, Nichicon cap, Vishay resistors, Switchcraft jacks. 
- Measures 55*24*92mm, and weighs 156g
- Comes with power adapter, leather pouch, rubber feet, connection cable, warranty card, and opamp rolling kit. (includes AD797*2, OPA604*2, TLE2141 Class A*2, BUF634P WB*2, BUF634U*2, Transistor BUF*2, Dummy adapter*4)

I am now looking ate the Matrix-M stage now. Any other great (only) portable amp?

Thanks a lot

Vlad from Madrid

Portable amps is something I have excluded from the list because the Denons are not really portable. The Matrix is not portable either. Only transportable. If its transportable you want, there are many options.

But your problem is the source, your limited by the DAC in the ipod. And Ipod compatible DAC's are retardedly expensive.

Nov 16, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #200 of 447
Thank you amigo for your swift answer. the issue is that I have the impression that a portable DAC, even if the price did not matter, maybe overkill for a device that is limited by apple at 
16bit/48k.

What do you think, there would be a noticeable improvement? And if there was no such limitation (I am thinking that Rockbox may remove it)?

thanks again for your help.

regards,

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:10 AM Post #202 of 447
Quote:
Soon going to be mostly FLAC and some 320 kbsp files from a Samsung galaxy note II

Ok but the DAC is what I'm worried about, I have the S3, and am using neutron player (NEON enhanced @64bit) and the output quality is still lacklustre and clips really easily. The E17 WON'T WORK with the S3. So my advice, wait for E18. Or get a powered hub and an ODAC  for example as the DAC.

Quote:
Thank you amigo for your swift answer. the issue is that I have the impression that a portable DAC, even if the price did not matter, maybe overkill for a device that is limited by apple at 
16bit/48k.

What do you think, there would be a noticeable improvement? And if there was no such limitation (I am thinking that Rockbox may remove it)?

thanks again for your help.

regards,

Actually read here: Why 16bit 48kHz is all you need

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #203 of 447
I just want to mention someone who look for an amp for D7100, as my experience, the tube amp were better than the ss amp.

Nov 20, 2012 at 2:28 AM Post #204 of 447
Quote:
I just want to mention someone who look for an amp for D7100, as my experience, the tube amp were better than the ss amp.

D7100 is not made by Foster/Fostex, so it's a completely different headphone from the previous Denon cans. The general rules of thumb for D2000/5000/7000 would not apply to the D7100.

Although I like the design of the D7100, the D7000 is a better sounding headphone IMO.

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:10 AM Post #206 of 447
Quote:

Hi WiR3D,
Thanks for this, it is very interesting. So if 16bit 48kHz (Ipod) is good enough, would you conclude that with a DAC there is a nice and  noticeable improvement? 
Say for me to the other hemisphere.
Valdo

Exactly what I am saying :) 

but remember with apple your paying for the licence -so a Fostex or Go-Dap costing $450+ will be about the same as a $300 normal one. This is all armchair advice btw, and be debated quite a bit.

But having heard the VAMP with the AKG K242HD and V-moda M100 I can honestly say I was very impressed. The K242 + VAMP is easily a great combo, amazing synergy. Don't miss the D7000 much except for the extra subbass.

But wasn't so impressed with the VAMP and the D7000 - too coloured

Nov 21, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #207 of 447
Please help me to find my 1st entry level desktop system! 
biggrin.gif

I'm currently using my Studio V, I like it a lot with my FLAC but I would like a combo to use with my computer.

My requirement:
  1. USB connection, I don't need more for the moment
  2. All-in-one system if possible, but I'm ready to buy DAC + AMP
  3. At least performing at the same level to my Studio V (I understood than DAC is only average and amp is the mine factor why it sounds so good)
  4. Perform the best with my Denon D2000 & Grado, so low impedance headphones, so low output impedance
  5. I don't have any budget for it, but I think it would be reasonable not to exceed $300 as it will be my 1st set-up.

I have spotted Fiio E10 & HRT headstreamer but I really doubt about their level of performance vs. my Studio V.
I also consider Matrix M stage but then I need a DAC next to it. (HRT? cheap DAC from ebay?) and my last option would be the combo O2+ODAC

But what about  HUD-mx1 or Aune X1 or Yulong U100? It seems that output impedance is too high but still, should I really forget those options?

Any advice? Thank you

Nov 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #208 of 447
Quote:
Please help me to find my 1st entry level desktop system! 
biggrin.gif

I'm currently using my Studio V, I like it a lot with my FLAC but I would like a combo to use with my computer.

My requirement:
  1. USB connection, I don't need more for the moment
  2. All-in-one system if possible, but I'm ready to buy DAC + AMP
  3. At least performing at the same level to my Studio V (I understood than DAC is only average and amp is the mine factor why it sounds so good)
  4. Perform the best with my Denon D2000 & Grado, so low impedance headphones, so low output impedance
  5. I don't have any budget for it, but I think it would be reasonable not to exceed $300 as it will be my 1st set-up.

I have spotted Fiio E10 & HRT headstreamer but I really doubt about their level of performance vs. my Studio V.
I also consider Matrix M stage but then I need a DAC next to it. (HRT? cheap DAC from ebay?) and my last option would be the combo O2+ODAC

But what about  HUD-mx1 or Aune X1 or Yulong U100? It seems that output impedance is too high but still, should I really forget those options?

Any advice? Thank you

Well with the Denons the DAC is more important then the amp.

And Grados really aren't bothered by output impedance and generally perform well with tubes, the Hifiman EF2a is a go to (for its amp section) for Grados, for example.

if you want an all in one solution. I would really say save up a few bucks and get the Yulong D100. Also not to put you off of the ODAC, but it has issues.... namely you generally need a powered hub and a linear power supply, so I would avoid it. 

The E10 is not a bad start. But I would recommend looking at AudioGD. Unfortunately the sound signatures that suit Grado generally are too coloured for Denon.

And to make things worse, the Studio V is very good. Like VERY good....

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #210 of 447
I have a set of D5000 that was paired with the Fiio E7/E9 DAC/Amp combo and I always thought they had bloated bass only on certain tracks.  I kept the Fiio E7 DAC with a Fiio L7 line out into a brand new Schiit Asgard and have noticed immediate improvements.  All of the bloat is gone while still keeping the incredible bass of the Denon AH-D*** line.  The Denon phones seem to be a great match for the Asgard.  As far as DAC's go, I'm getting an HRT Music Streamer II because I need a smaller DAC for my small desktop set up.
I just replaced my E7 with an ODAC by JDS labs so now I have the ODAC paired with the Schiit Asgard amp and Denon AH-D5000's. I can't believe the how much better the D5000's sound with this set up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back