[LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones.
Oct 23, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #166 of 447
I drive AH-D7000 with FOSTEX HP-A8. D7000 is made by Foster (OEM) and FOSTEX is the retail brand of Foster. I hear that HP-A8 was developed for TH900, the substantial successor of D7000. Of course HP-A8 is not a high-end amplifier, so I doubt HP-A8 can drive D7000 perfectly.

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #167 of 447
Quote:
I've read through some of this thread because I didn't want to give suggestions that have already be given.  However, I don't see a lot of talk about DIY stuff execpt the B22 which is great by the way.  

I would have to say the CK²III and the M^3 are great amps for the Denon family.  All my amps are balanced so IMO i get a littel more control over the drivers than the usual SE verisons.  

I would take a balanced M^3 or a balanced CK²III over a lot of amps mentioned in this thread.

IMO a 4 channel fully balanced Beta 22 is tops for these headphones. 

Thanks for the feedback, would you mind giving some more details? Namely on the sound characteristics/impact when paired denons, and which amps (that are on the list) you have tried (just for reference)

It would be much appreciated.

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #168 of 447
Quote:
I drive AH-D7000 with FOSTEX HP-A8. D7000 is made by Foster (OEM) and FOSTEX is the retail brand of Foster. I hear that HP-A8 was developed for TH900, the substantial successor of D7000. Of course HP-A8 is not a high-end amplifier, so I doubt HP-A8 can drive D7000 perfectly.

That one I still haven't figured out. seems like I'm not the only one who hasn't got a firm side of the fence to sit one, and thats the factor that is keeping it off of the list.

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:00 AM Post #169 of 447
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback, would you mind giving some more details? Namely on the sound characteristics/impact when paired denons, and which amps (that are on the list) you have tried (just for reference)

It would be much appreciated.

Sure,

As for the amps on the list I have only (Lived with) the Beta 22.  

IMO this paring is a little laid back in signature in comparison to say a GS-1 or a BHA-1.  The sub bass the Denons are known for is there.  The highs are clear but without much sparkle therefore they don't become sibilant.  

Amps that I've lived with that's not on the list are the GS-1 and the BHA-1.

With the Denons the best overall combo (technically) to me would be with the GS-1 - this is because it has a Hi / Low gain switch so you can pick which one sounds the best for you.  With the GS-1 I found the bass to be even more tighter than with the B22 the mids are more pronounced and the highs are just as clear with a touch of sparkle, still no sibilant sound.  This combo has the overall best tonal balance.

With the BHA-1 they sound good as well.  However, the highs can be a bit bright and a bit tilted therefore the tonal balance is a bit off.  The BHA-1 has a gain switch as well but I think it's still a little to powerful for the Denons.  IMO

What these amps share when paired with the Denons is the Bass response.  Super tight bass that extends very well.  Again the sub bass really stands out with all of these amps.  The bass is also fast, quick and able to keep up with the most demanding tracks while still staying full or meaty. 

Although the GS-1 and the Denons are the best technical match.  I enjoy them with the B22 more.

Oct 25, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #170 of 447
Quote:

Sure,

As for the amps on the list I have only (Lived with) the Beta 22.  

IMO this paring is a little laid back in signature in comparison to say a GS-1 or a BHA-1.  The sub bass the Denons are known for is there.  The highs are clear but without much sparkle therefore they don't become sibilant.  

Amps that I've lived with that's not on the list are the GS-1 and the BHA-1.

With the Denons the best overall combo (technically) to me would be with the GS-1 - this is because it has a Hi / Low gain switch so you can pick which one sounds the best for you.  With the GS-1 I found the bass to be even more tighter than with the B22 the mids are more pronounced and the highs are just as clear with a touch of sparkle, still no sibilant sound.  This combo has the overall best tonal balance.

With the BHA-1 they sound good as well.  However, the highs can be a bit bright and a bit tilted therefore the tonal balance is a bit off.  The BHA-1 has a gain switch as well but I think it's still a little to powerful for the Denons.  IMO

What these amps share when paired with the Denons is the Bass response.  Super tight bass that extends very well.  Again the sub bass really stands out with all of these amps.  The bass is also fast, quick and able to keep up with the most demanding tracks while still staying full or meaty. 

Although the GS-1 and the Denons are the best technical match.  I enjoy them with the B22 more.

This will definitely help someone out. 

So to summarize Technically the GS-1 is perfect, and sonically it works very very well, but musically (which is IMHO the reason you buy Denons, along with sub bass response) the Fully balanced B22 is a neutral and technically accurate setup that is also just the right amount of musical (does not sound dull, which I am guessing the GS-1 does)

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #171 of 447
Quote:

This will definitely help someone out. 

So to summarize Technically the GS-1 is perfect, and sonically it works very very well, but musically (which is IMHO the reason you buy Denons, along with sub bass response) the Fully balanced B22 is a neutral and technically accurate setup that is also just the right amount of musical (does not sound dull, which I am guessing the GS-1 does)

B22 = More musical

GS-1 = Better technically (less musical but not dull)

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #172 of 447
Thanks for reply,
actually, i want to make a choice between master8(famous for clear) and sonett 2(famous for musical), both are valuable.
The sound i prefer should be musical but clear....hard to decied....

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #173 of 447
How about the nad m51 as the DAC?

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #174 of 447
From what I read a very good combination of clear and musical was yulong D18 + Master 5

others tested include
Yulong D18 + A18,
Ref 7.1 + Master 5,
Ref 7.1 + Yulong A18 (which I thought would have won)

Bearing in mind the Yulongs sound very vinyl in presentation, and AudioGD is famous for its clarity/clinical ability, it seems that a smooth sounding DAC and a detailed amp is the recipe for success

Oct 27, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #175 of 447
How about nad m51+master8? Or reference10(all in one) that's all the killers in that price.

Oct 29, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #176 of 447
Quote:
How about nad m51+master8? Or reference10(all in one) that's all the killers in that price.

Sorry I can't say, Don't know much about the NAD... 

The ref 10, will be a good match, but it undoubtedly will be brutal.... It will reveal every flaw you can think of in a record.

Oct 30, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #177 of 447
You are spot on Wir3d with the criteria for the Dennon d5000 phones- at least based on my listening to them with only two amps.

Grace m902- excellent!
Cary Xciter- crap!

Batting 1000 on my scorecard...

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #179 of 447
Quote:

Why crap on the Cary?  what's the difference in the two?

Well I can't see the exciters output impedance, but it is output transformer coupled. SO I am guessing that its too musical and smooth and tubey. which is highly possible. 

Thats why tubes aren't recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back