[LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones.
Oct 4, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #151 of 447
Quote:
I've been using the NFB5.2 with no problems except once I unplugged the USB cable while playing music, and tadada~!

Blue screen

So I now never disconnect the usb cable unless everything is turned off. Lesson learnt.

Would you mind clarifying if you're using the NFB5.2 with Denon headphones?

Oct 4, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #152 of 447
Yes I am, with alright results. I seem to have over-dampened the bass response of the Denon's, resulting in an overly sharp tone; so I won't comment on how the nfb5.2 drives my D2000 now.

It provided far more than needed power for them obviously, and bass response is very deep and tight compared to more consumer grade sources e.g. onboard soundcards or ipods.

Oct 6, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #153 of 447
I bit the bullet and ordered the NFB 15.1. I have nothing to compare it too other than my Macbook, but wow. The bass has tightened up quite a lot and is providing a much richer, smoother sound. I'm very impressed. I had issues initially with the sound dropping out but it seems it was just a loose connection. I don't think much of the supplied USB cable. The connection to the unit itself it is a bit loose. I think i've done pretty well for my first AMP purchase. Would recommend

Oct 6, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #154 of 447
Quote:
I bit the bullet and ordered the NFB 15.1. I have nothing to compare it too other than my Macbook, but wow. The bass has tightened up quite a lot and is providing a much richer, smoother sound. I'm very impressed. I had issues initially with the sound dropping out but it seems it was just a loose connection. I don't think much of the supplied USB cable. The connection to the unit itself it is a bit loose. I think i've done pretty well for my first AMP purchase. Would recommend

Where are you getting your NFB 15.1 from if I may ask?
I thought about getting either the NFB 12 or Yulong D100 although in a different price bracket.

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:08 AM Post #155 of 447
willmax I ordered it through Addicted to Audio in Melbourne. I'm not sure if you have used them before, but i've bought a few things from them now and they are brilliant. Ordered the unit Thursday afternoon around 2pm and it was on my door step the next morning at 9am! Can't beat that for service. I can't comment on those other two as I havent heard any others. It would be nice to try out some other gear so i could try and start drawing comparisons. One day.

Oct 8, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #156 of 447
Quote:

Glad you enjoy it :) seems AudioGD in general is a good buy for Denons.

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #157 of 447
hi,if i have$ 1000-2000 budget for the amp of d7000, what's the best to be recommended?

Oct 22, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #159 of 447
The first time I listened to a Denon headphone was at a meet in Calgary where someone brought a set of AH-D2000's. I tried them with a number of different amps and the impression I was left with was that they sounded a bit too muddy and closed-in. As soon as I paired them up with my Grace m903 everything changed. The m903 has a bit of a reputation for being either "bass light" or more specifically "lacking in bass weight"...something to that effect, but with the Denons they were able to tighten up the bass to a degree where it rivaled much more expensive headphones. Not only that, but everything else seemed to "click in" a bit better, especially the soundstage. The lowly D2000's sounded like a thousand bucks.

As a result of that meet I bought a set of AH-D7000's with J-money pads and combined with the m903 they are extremely enjoyable. I think that Grace must have designed the m903 to have an extremely tight low frequency presentation that is why they sound good with Denons and other cans that might otherwise be a bit too boomy or bloated. The flip side is that on cans that already have extremely tight, controlled bass the pairing can come off as anemic. That's the reason I have other amplification for my HD-800s and LCD-3s, and in those situations I use the Grace as DAC. 

So for me the best amp for Denons is the Grace m903, but it comes at the price of worse pairing with some other desirable headphones. That being said, the m903 makes a good foil for a warmer tube amp and is an awesome, feature filled DAC regardless. 

Oct 22, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #160 of 447
Quote:
The first time I listened to a Denon headphone was at a meet in Calgary where someone brought a set of AH-D2000's. I tried them with a number of different amps and the impression I was left with was that they sounded a bit too muddy and closed-in. As soon as I paired them up with my Grace m903 everything changed. The m903 has a bit of a reputation for being either "bass light" or more specifically "lacking in bass weight"...something to that effect, but with the Denons they were able to tighten up the bass to a degree where it rivaled much more expensive headphones. Not only that, but everything else seemed to "click in" a bit better, especially the soundstage. The lowly D2000's sounded like a thousand bucks.

As a result of that meet I bought a set of AH-D7000's with J-money pads and combined with the m903 they are extremely enjoyable. I think that Grace must have designed the m903 to have an extremely tight low frequency presentation that is why they sound good with Denons and other cans that might otherwise be a bit too boomy or bloated. The flip side is that on cans that already have extremely tight, controlled bass the pairing can come off as anemic. That's the reason I have other amplification for my HD-800s and LCD-3s, and in those situations I use the Grace as DAC. 

So for me the best amp for Denons is the Grace m903, but it comes at the price of worse pairing with some other desirable headphones. That being said, the m903 makes a good foil for a warmer tube amp and is an awesome, feature filled DAC regardless. 

Great post.

At $1895 though, it ought to sound amazing.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #162 of 447
Quote:
Great post.

At $1895 though, it ought to sound amazing.

Exactly..... ;-( I wan't one that sounds awesome with the 2000's for less than $300

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #163 of 447
Quote:
hi,if i have$ 1000-2000 budget for the amp of d7000, what's the best to be recommended?

What sound are you after? More vinyl, or analytical, or tubey or what? A lot of choices. And what are you pairing them with: My personal choice would be Yulong D18 DAC -> AudioGD master 8 amp, it seems the best of both worlds, vinyl sound with pristine clarity (according to another user with faaaar too much money).

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback, that could be important to note, it could be exactly what someone is looking for. 

Quote:
Exactly..... ;-( I wan't one that sounds awesome with the 2000's for less than $300

Yulong D100 is only a little over.

Oct 23, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #164 of 447
I tried my gf's EF2 today and to my surprise they work very well together! Mids have gain more presence and sibilance was less than my NFB5.

Oct 23, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #165 of 447
I've read through some of this thread because I didn't want to give suggestions that have already be given.  However, I don't see a lot of talk about DIY stuff execpt the B22 which is great by the way.  

I would have to say the CK²III and the M^3 are great amps for the Denon family.  All my amps are balanced so IMO i get a littel more control over the drivers than the usual SE verisons.  

I would take a balanced M^3 or a balanced CK²III over a lot of amps mentioned in this thread.

IMO a 4 channel fully balanced Beta 22 is tops for these headphones. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back