[LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones.
Sep 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM Post #136 of 447
Quote:
The JDS c421 has 10 ohm output impedance, and from experience that is just too much. the bass will be messy.

Apparently JDS Labs has made some small change to their c421 amp to fix the output impedance issue bringing it down to 2ohm - John has posted about this on JDS Labs blog site. The new All black look of the c421 is a killer, like it a lot =')

Sep 22, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #137 of 447
Quote:

Apparently JDS Labs has made some small change to their c421 amp to fix the output impedance issue bringing it down to 2ohm - John has posted about this on JDS Labs blog site. The new All black look of the c421 is a killer, like it a lot =')

if it's less then 2, then bingo! Go for it, would appreciate the feedback.

Also there is something you could do, but it really depends on the strength of the negative rail of the amp, it uses a fair amount of power

Sep 28, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #139 of 447
Quote:
Burson Soloist + D5000's = D

D = 
bigsmile_face.gif
 ?

Sep 28, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #140 of 447
I just got an Asgard to power my D5000 and D7000. DAC is Onkyo SE-U55SX2, RCA out. Thing is pretty dope. It brings out the treble so much that when unamped the phones sound almost veiled, even though I've never felt that before. And the legendary Denon bass is handled nice and tight, especially the D5000 still drops earthquakes on my head with hip hop tracks. For the D7000 the vocals improve a lot, the midrange recession is a bit less apparent. Enjoying the amp so far! :D

Sep 30, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #142 of 447
I'm looking at the Burson HA160-DS for my Denons.

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #143 of 447
Quote:
Burson Soloist + D5000's = D

Was actually waiting for feedback on that, the 160 was a such a staple go to I was expecting great things.

Quote:
I just got an Asgard to power my D5000 and D7000. DAC is Onkyo SE-U55SX2, RCA out. Thing is pretty dope. It brings out the treble so much that when unamped the phones sound almost veiled, even though I've never felt that before. And the legendary Denon bass is handled nice and tight, especially the D5000 still drops earthquakes on my head with hip hop tracks. For the D7000 the vocals improve a lot, the midrange recession is a bit less apparent. Enjoying the amp so far! :D

Glad you enjoy it :) now just that DAC, lol This hobby never ends.

Quote:
I'm looking at the Burson HA160-DS for my Denons.

Never heard a complaint, to note people say it is a little north of neutral in the bass department. 

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #144 of 447
Quote:

Glad you enjoy it :) now just that DAC, lol This hobby never ends.

What about my DAC? I thought it sounds great for the $200 I paid for it. The Asgard costs around the same so I figured they would go well together. It also has a mic jack so I guess it is more of a external sound card than a DAC though. I may get a Bifrost or some Fostex DAC in the future but for now I have no plans/money to upgrade xD

Oct 2, 2012 at 3:19 AM Post #145 of 447
Quote:

What about my DAC? I thought it sounds great for the $200 I paid for it. The Asgard costs around the same so I figured they would go well together. It also has a mic jack so I guess it is more of a external sound card than a DAC though. I may get a Bifrost or some Fostex DAC in the future but for now I have no plans/money to upgrade xD

if your happy with it, then stay that way :p but credit card debt is just around the corner lol

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #147 of 447
Quote:
Thoughts on the Audio GD NFB-15 DAC/Amp combo with the Tenor TE8802 chip?

The thing is, I have yet to coma across anyone that does not like any of the AudioGD stuff with the Denons specifically. On their own there is the odd moan or 2, but not with Denons. 

I would hazard its a safe bet. 

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #148 of 447
Quote:
Quote:
Thoughts on the Audio GD NFB-15 DAC/Amp combo with the Tenor TE8802 chip?

The thing is, I have yet to coma across anyone that does not like any of the AudioGD stuff with the Denons specifically. On their own there is the odd moan or 2, but not with Denons. 

I would hazard its a safe bet. 

Check the Audio-gd Digital Interface thread for issues with the Windows drivers for the TE8802, they seem to be a bit buggy.

Oct 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #149 of 447
Yeah I have noticed that. I've been watching that thread very closely. I use a Mac so I'm hoping I won't have the same problems. I ordered the amp/dac this morning so should have it running into my ears tommorow after work. See how I go

Oct 3, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #150 of 447
I've been using the NFB5.2 with no problems except once I unplugged the USB cable while playing music, and tadada~!

Blue screen

So I now never disconnect the usb cable unless everything is turned off. Lesson learnt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back