[LIST][OPINION] Amp recommendations for Fostex/Denon Headphones.
Jul 22, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #16 of 447
Quote:
Now i noticed that you said a solid state amp is preferred to power dennon cans.  I'm looking into purchasing D2000 and have a Schiit Asgard amp with soon to be paired with a bifrost DAC.  Will the Asgard be a good match for these cans?

From what I read, yes, I got a few posts with experienced people enjoying it. It goes on the list. (also 0.5ohm output impedance)

Quote:
Ive been looking at amps for months and I'm no closer then when I started. Looking for something to use with D7000, JH-13 + possibly another top tier can such as LCD-2, 3, HD-800 or T1. The most frustrating part of this hobby is all the who ha about which phones pair best with which amps , etc etc. I want one amp that will pair well with all phones for a reasonable price. The two contenders I've narrowed it down to via research only is the no longer in production GS-1 and the Meier Corda Classsic that come in at under 1K. I may need to raise my budget a grand, who knows???

The Headamp GS-1 is an upgraded Gilmore Dyanalo, Sheer audio makes them too :) for much cheaper. The Headamp Gilmore lite was the a more basic version. 

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #17 of 447
I have D2000 (modded to LA2000) and I found that the O2 is a nice clean amp for them.  I also like my Meier Corda Arietta (predecessor to the Jazz).  Though as both are pretty neutral amps they sound almost exactly the same.  I'm currently building a Beta22, which on paper should also be an excellent match for Denons.

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #18 of 447
Quote:
I have D2000 (modded to LA2000) and I found that the O2 is a nice clean amp for them.  I also like my Meier Corda Arietta (predecessor to the Jazz).  Though as both are pretty neutral amps they sound almost exactly the same.  I'm currently building a Beta22, which on paper should also be an excellent match for Denons.

Thanks for the feedback, :) let us know how it turns out, I myself am interested in building a Beta22 eventually.

Jul 23, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #19 of 447
The Asgard works well.  I didn't like the Concerto that much, but I don't remember why.  I love the Zana Deux SE (oh no an OTL amp 
basshead.gif
).  I think it sounds great, and I like the versatility.  It's 3 Ohms I think btw.  I didn't like the WA22 with the D7000, and I didn't like the WA6 with the D5000.  I didn't like the CSP-2 with the D5000, but I didn't like the CSP-2.  I had trouble with the Corvina.  It would have been pretty good, but I think I had a loose wire.  These are all amps I owned.

I would get a solid state amp if you want something that sounds good.  I would avoid all amps that can drive orthos well.  

Jul 24, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #20 of 447
Quote:
The Asgard works well.  I didn't like the Concerto that much, but I don't remember why.  I love the Zana Deux SE (oh no an OTL amp 
basshead.gif
).  I think it sounds great, and I like the versatility.  It's 3 Ohms I think btw.  I didn't like the WA22 with the D7000, and I didn't like the WA6 with the D5000.  I didn't like the CSP-2 with the D5000, but I didn't like the CSP-2.  I had trouble with the Corvina.  It would have been pretty good, but I think I had a loose wire.  These are all amps I owned.

I would get a solid state amp if you want something that sounds good.  I would avoid all amps that can drive orthos well.  

Thank you very much for that :) the Zana Deux then may just fit the bill, I am putting it on tentative.

Did or didn't?

Jul 25, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #22 of 447
WiR3D, have you looked into the DNA Sonett. I belive it meets all your criteria (like the WA6SE, a rare tube excpetion) but I am unsure if it deliveres the proper current that you feel is needed for the D7000. Thoughts? Im still researching it myself. It may be a another rare tube exception winner and according to reviews, it plays nice with the JH-13's (and most customs, it seems), which is a huge bonus and requirement for myself. Would like to see if anyone can chime in.

Jul 26, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #23 of 447

last nite i plugged my denon D7k into the amp on the left...the sound is very clear, neutral, agile. Very enjoyable. Then i plugged it into the amp on the right, the sound is more airy, more depth, warmer...sense of realism intoxicating. Which do i prefer..if i must pick one...hmmm...think i dun have to decide since i have both of them. :p  setup is a macAir, dacportLX..

Jul 26, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #25 of 447
Quote:
Yes it's Head-Fi. Most of the recommendations are rubbish. It's best to try the thing yourself and make your own conclusions.
You'll figure it out.

+1

I would add that you could easily replace 'Denon' with 'Grado' in the OP and you would still be bang on, particularly with the dross about 'Brand X doesnt benefit from an amp'. The dyslexic leading the blind. 

FWIW, Uncle Erik posted months ago that he felt the Zana Deux was a very good match for low impedance phones - as with anything, you wont know until you can lay your hands on the amp and find out if the combination floats your boat. 

Jul 27, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #26 of 447
Quote:
Yes it's Head-Fi. Most of the recommendations are rubbish. It's best to try the thing yourself and make your own conclusions.
You'll figure it out.

The WA6, WA22 are not OTL amps.  I don't really remember about the CSP-2, I think it was OTL.

I would look more at the output impedance than I would the topography.  3 or less is good, 2.5 or less is better.

Still better to try it out with your headphones.  Or buy something you can sell.

Jul 27, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #27 of 447
Quote:

last nite i plugged my denon D7k into the amp on the left...the sound is very clear, neutral, agile. Very enjoyable. Then i plugged it into the amp on the right, the sound is more airy, more depth, warmer...sense of realism intoxicating. Which do i prefer..if i must pick one...hmmm...think i dun have to decide since i have both of them. :p  setup is a macAir, dacportLX..

wait.... BCL on the left and Lyr on the right?!?!?! that ... should not work, can you comment on the tightness of the bass on the lyr? It should be somewhat worse then the BCL.

Jul 27, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #28 of 447
Quote:

The WA6, WA22 are not OTL amps.  I don't really remember about the CSP-2, I think it was OTL.

I would look more at the output impedance than I would the topography.  3 or less is good, 2.5 or less is better.

Still better to try it out with your headphones.  Or buy something you can sell.

arg grouped it for simplicity, will separate.

Jul 27, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #29 of 447
Quote:
You'll figure it out.

of course, but you should know (considering where both in the wrong hemisphere fro this) that its not that easy, and most people definitely don't have the money to waste. So trying for yourself is always the best, but minimizing the chances of a screw up is the intention here. Get my drift?

Jul 27, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #30 of 447
Quote:
[size=10pt]I'm looking for an amp to pair with D7000 and was leaning towards a Meier Corda Classic. According to the above criteria, it would fit nicely as it's Output impedance < 0,1 ohm, but was wondering if anyone who will read this thread has any experience with this amp paired with the D7000. Cheers.[/size]

I didn't own the D7000s but did own the 5000 series. The O2 Reference amp went quite nicely with them. I paired it with a DACport LX and I was quite happy with the combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back