Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 25, 2024 at 11:55 PM Post #74,536 of 75,568
What source are you using BTW?

Cause the Yinman 600 ohm is literally the hardest transducer I encountered in my audio journey of 10+ years.

87 dB/mW sensitivity and 600 ohm impedance!!! Not a matter of volume, but the bass is one-noted and untextured, with a drop in dynamics when it is not powered well.

Even some of my higher end DAC/AMPs like the Chord Mojo 2 can't get the Yinman 600 ohm singing properly. Most of my DAPs and dongles fail to do the sound justice, so I am confined to desktop grade amps for the Yinmans, with the exception of some outlier dongles like the Fiio KA17 (650 mW output) (though even this KA17 doesn't sound as good as when a desktop amp is used).
My LPGT Ti on high gain drives it fine. If having issues, Megatron.

Mar 26, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #74,537 of 75,568
I have 2 Yinmans myself. One in 3.5 and one in 4.4. Just do it :)

Same here. I would've just done a rewire myself, but I decided I wanted one of each because of the way my sources and listening stations work out. I ruined one pair of the 600s trying to MMCX mod them, but I salvaged the drivers to do a DIY build with when I get a good break at home.

While the 600s aren't my favorite buds, they are definitely my go to pick when I just want lush warmth and euphonic musicality. They could never be my one and only or daily driver because I normally prefer a cleaner sound, but they do that warmth better than any other buds I've come across so they'll always have a spot in my rotation.

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:41 AM Post #74,538 of 75,568
If anyone has a 5k and a Yinman I'd love to hear your thoughts!

I have the 5k, and I never bothered to try sourcing the Yinman with it, because by all accounts it needs more than double the power. I got the 4.4 plug for the Yinman, so I can't try it out.

I like to listen to Yinmans around the house, so I got a Topping G5 for it.

I love my Qudelix, though.

Mar 26, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #74,540 of 75,568
Darn you and the others for the temptation! 🙃 And that's my wallet speaking, not me. I'm fine with getting them but the wallet is like whoah...step back.

I mean I think I might get another pair of cheaper buds in the meantime (looking at the toneking tp16), but within the next couple months I'm gonna have the Yinman with amplification to drive them. I've already made up my mind. And I'm mostly a mobile listener(eventhough I'm sitting 99% of the time but I like using mobile gear) so I'm hoping the qudelix 5k can push them properly as that's the amp I'm going to get.

If anyone has a 5k and a Yinman I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Cause the Yinman 600 ohm is literally the hardest transducer I encountered in my audio journey of 10+ years.

87 dB/mW sensitivity and 600 ohm impedance!!! Not a matter of volume, but the bass is one-noted and untextured, with a drop in dynamics when it is not powered well.

Even some of my higher end DAC/AMPs like the Chord Mojo 2 can't get the Yinman 600 ohm singing properly. Most of my DAPs and dongles fail to do the sound justice, so I am confined to desktop grade amps for the Yinmans, with the exception of some outlier dongles like the Fiio KA17 (650 mW output) (though even this KA17 doesn't sound as good as when a desktop amp is used).
^ This...

And my wallet is right there with yours. Sometimes I have to just ignore it, though it makes me pay in the end (see what I did there?) LOL

These are only a bit less hard to drive than the (in)famous Hifiman Susvara which are 60ohms @83dB/mW. Having said that, there is no reason that one can't perfectly enjoy the Yinmans from a low powered source as well. The reason I say this is because, if you are used to listening to music at low volumes, these aren't that hard to drive at all. It isn't until you start getting to and above about 100dBSPL in volume that they get exponentially harder to drive as you progress.

So, if the Quidelix 5K has these numbers for drivability (note that all the numbers given are from the 2.5mm balanced connection point; SE on this device is VERY much less capable):
  • 2.771VRMS
  • 480mW
  • 11.7mA
for a 16ohm load. But we want to know how much power it can deliver at 600ohms:
  • 2.771VRMS
  • 4.619mA
We can figure out at what volume you will start (possibly) hearing the FR skew because they are no longer being driven properly.

Using the specs from the Quidelix 5K for the comparison, and at just a low level of 80dB you would need just:
  • .35VRMS
  • .20mW
  • .6mA
Which can pretty handily be driven off of the Quidelix. I have found the max volume you could reach on the Quidelix before starting to skew which is 98.06dB:
  • 2.77VRMS
  • 12.6mW
  • 4.6mA
And if you ever wanted to listen to them pretty loud (110dB) the requirements go WAY up and fast; needing a device that is measured in Watts, rather than miliWatts. :)

Keep in mind with all these numbers, they are on paper only, but I would hold to them being the minimum only, because they don't acount for voltage swing on a DD at all. I would normally figure about double (or a bit more), in order to cover the swing.

Just my opinion here, but I would get them with a 2.5mm balanced connector. The logic in my mind is that if you do, you can use an (fairly small; HERE) adapter to go to 4.4mm balanced OR you could use one to use 3.5mm SE if you wanted to (also very small; anything from HERE), or even use the 2.5mm balanced on something like the Quidelix 5K. IMHO this is the way to go so that you don't need to recable if you aren't happy with being limited to 3.5mm SE, or don't want to use a big, chunky adapter to go from 4.4mm to 3.5mm (pretty large for a portable device; HERE).

I have been using my DX300 with the Amp12 card for these (which can output 4.3W) and I can tell you that if you want any sort of volume from them and still sound amazing (IMO), this device isn't even enough. That isn't to say that they sound badly at all on a lesser device, just not their best (they no longer sound TOTL, but more mid-tier to my ears).

Please don't let any of that scare you away from these, because in the grand scheme of things, they are amazing either way. And even though they are one of the hardest to drive, they are still one of the best out there for the money.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 7:42 AM Post #74,541 of 75,568
Anyone got a link to a yinman 600?

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #74,542 of 75,568
I found them by using a vpn. As soon as I log in to aliexpress I can't order them. Oh well no yinmans for me

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:24 AM Post #74,543 of 75,568
Anyone got a link to a yinman 600?
I got them from the AVCCK Store on Aliexpress. The picture has never been updated and doesn't reflect the current buds. You might also want to contact them before ordering these. This way you can tell them what connector you want; otherwise, you will get the default 3.5mm SE connection.

Keep in mind that there seems to be two AVCCK stores on AE, and I don't think one is affiliated with the other. I have heard from others on here that the other store is NOT so good with customer support, or QC with these. The one I linked to is the one that most of us got theirs from, with no issue. :)

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:27 AM Post #74,544 of 75,568
It's pretty rewarding to me, and it seems to me that a lot of people in here are enjoying making and listening their own earbuds. I think most DIY drivers are being used in commercially available earbuds. But the problem is their implementation of them and not being tuned right. You can check out the DIY Earbuds thread for more info.

I could see bass quantity being explained by how dark the chocolate is, wine lingo for the mids and how sour and sharp the treble is lol.
I'm sure it would be rewarding. Fine tuning can be done to prebuild earbuds too. If you're going to fine tune an earbud, might as well take credit for building/assembling it too, right. I think i just found another rabbit hole, and I'm thinking this could be fun. Thanks for the info in this forum guys. Looking forward to talking more once i get ready to build. Will share builds here too once i can get to it!

Cheers,
Yaks

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #74,545 of 75,568

^ This...

And my wallet is right there with yours. Sometimes I have to just ignore it, though it makes me pay in the end (see what I did there?) LOL

These are only a bit less hard to drive than the (in)famous Hifiman Susvara which are 60ohms @83dB/mW. Having said that, there is no reason that one can't perfectly enjoy the Yinmans from a low powered source as well. The reason I say this is because, if you are used to listening to music at low volumes, these aren't that hard to drive at all. It isn't until you start getting to and above about 100dBSPL in volume that they get exponentially harder to drive as you progress.

So, if the Quidelix 5K has these numbers for drivability (note that all the numbers given are from the 2.5mm balanced connection point; SE on this device is VERY much less capable):
  • 2.771VRMS
  • 480mW
  • 11.7mA
  • 2.771VRMS
  • 4.619mA
We can figure out at what volume you will start (possibly) hearing the FR skew because they are no longer being driven properly.

Using the specs from the Quidelix 5K for the comparison, and at just a low level of 80dB you would need just:
  • .35VRMS
  • .20mW
  • .6mA
Which can pretty handily be driven off of the Quidelix. I have found the max volume you could reach on the Quidelix before starting to skew which is 98.06dB:
  • 2.77VRMS
  • 12.6mW
  • 4.6mA
And if you ever wanted to listen to them pretty loud (110dB) the requirements go WAY up and fast; needing a device that is measured in Watts, rather than miliWatts. :)

Keep in mind with all these numbers, they are on paper only, but I would hold to them being the minimum only, because they don't acount for voltage swing on a DD at all. I would normally figure about double (or a bit more), in order to cover the swing.

Just my opinion here, but I would get them with a 2.5mm balanced connector. The logic in my mind is that if you do, you can use an (fairly small; HERE) adapter to go to 4.4mm balanced OR you could use one to use 3.5mm SE if you wanted to (also very small; anything from HERE), or even use the 2.5mm balanced on something like the Quidelix 5K. IMHO this is the way to go so that you don't need to recable if you aren't happy with being limited to 3.5mm SE, or don't want to use a big, chunky adapter to go from 4.4mm to 3.5mm (pretty large for a portable device; HERE).

I have been using my DX300 with the Amp12 card for these (which can output 4.3W) and I can tell you that if you want any sort of volume from them and still sound amazing (IMO), this device isn't even enough. That isn't to say that they sound badly at all on a lesser device, just not their best (they no longer sound TOTL, but more mid-tier to my ears).

Please don't let any of that scare you away from these, because in the grand scheme of things, they are amazing either way. And even though they are one of the hardest to drive, they are still one of the best out there for the money.
Well that was a pleasant experience. I messaged the vendor on AE to see if I can get the Yinman 600 in the wooden shell with 4.4mm termination and they replied within minutes saying they can do that for me. So I put in an order and a couple minutes later, they changed the status to "Shipped."

I'm sure it's just a shipping label printout, but this shop sure opens late into the evening!

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #74,546 of 75,568
Well that was a pleasant experience. I messaged the vendor on AE to see if I can get the Yinman 600 in the wooden shell with 4.4mm termination and they replied within minutes saying they can do that for me. So I put in an order and a couple minutes later, they changed the status to "Shipped."

I'm sure it's just a shipping label printout, but this shop sure opens late into the evening!
That's fantastic! :sunglasses: :thumbsup:

Not sure if you knew this, because it doesn't get mentioned often, but the default Yinman 2.0 600s are indeed wood shells (another reason to love them).

Congrats on your new (incoming) shiny! :)

Please let us know what you think of them when you get them and have a chance to give them a good listen?!

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:31 PM Post #74,547 of 75,568
Hi there ! I've just got a "Shoonth ESEP-01BL" set of earbuds and found these to be so good that i'm eventually looking forward an upgrade to that set.
Is the "Shoonth ESEP-01BLE" a worthy upgrade ? Is it the same tuning with a higher impedance (150 Ohms) or is the tuning even better ?
And what about the "shoonth ESEP-01BU" ? TOTL or not TOTL ?
Thank you !

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #74,548 of 75,568
^ This...

• 2.771VRMS
  • 480mW
  • 11.7mA
  • 2.771VRMS
  • 4.619mA

• .35VRMS
  • .20mW
  • .6mA
  • 2.77VRMS
  • 12.6mW
  • 4.6mA

@samandhi, very nice.

@h8uthemost, the Q5K puts out (max low gain) 1 VRMS, (max high gain) 2 VRMS at the 3.5SE and (max low gain) 2 VRMS and (max high gain) 4 VRMS at the 2.5Bal outputs.

I'm listening to the Yinman 600 right now (at my computer) and the Q5K is driving it nicely from the 2.5Bal with high gain (max 4 VRMS) setting enabled. BTW, you will never even crank it to max, you would hurt your hearing / blow your eardrums out.

I think you can be very happy with the Yinman 600 / Q5K combo without any regret.

Below from the Qudelix website: https://www.qudelix.com/products/qudelix-5k, also in the user manual: https://www.qudelix.com/blogs/5k-dac-amp/user-manual-pdf
10..jpg

Mar 26, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #74,549 of 75,568
That's fantastic! :sunglasses: :thumbsup:

Not sure if you knew this, because it doesn't get mentioned often, but the default Yinman 2.0 600s are indeed wood shells (another reason to love them).

Congrats on your new (incoming) shiny! :)

Please let us know what you think of them when you get them and have a chance to give them a good listen?!
Sandalwood I think? Very light! Yes, enjoy the Yinmans!

Mar 26, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #74,550 of 75,568
Hi there ! I've just got a "Shoonth ESEP-01BL" set of earbuds and found these to be so good that i'm eventually looking forward an upgrade to that set.
Is the "Shoonth ESEP-01BLE" a worthy upgrade ? Is it the same tuning with a higher impedance (150 Ohms) or is the tuning even better ?
And what about the "shoonth ESEP-01BU" ? TOTL or not TOTL ?
Thank you !
Nope, its the same driver with a resistor behind it haha. Better tuning but the cable is awful. Very microphonic and stiff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back