Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 26, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #74,566 of 75,358
Did you ever get a chance to give a listen (if you didn't already know about them) to Pattern Seeking Animals? @FranQL pointed out to me that they just came out with a new album.

Yeah, I'm a huge Patter-Seeking Animals fan and I have been for years after I heard Prehensile Tales at a friend's house shortly after its release. Have you checked out their album from October, Spooky Action at a Distance? Definitely up to their usual high standards so if you didn't, check it out ASAP! 🤘😎

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #74,567 of 75,358
Basically, these Aliexpress shops will get penalized if they do not put an order to a "shipped" status within a short time of the customer buying it.

So many of them use a placeholder "shipped" status. Some unscrupulous ones will even issue a fake tracking number - this is dangerous as I've encountered a few that were put as "delivered" with the fake tracking number, when nothing arrived at my home. Within a few days, Aliexpress would have close the order totally, so do pay attention for fake tracking numbers.

BTW, if you ask the shop to terminate the Yinman's cables to 4.4 or 2.5 mm, it might take a few days extra as they need to resolder it. My order was officially shipped about 1 week after ordering due to this.

DB.jpeg

Indeed, most worldwide noise safety guidelines would advise not to exceed 85 dB in an 8 hour period.

But noise is logarithmic, so for every 3 dB increase in sound, the noise exposure should be halved, to prevent noise induced deafness.

Actually, rock concerts can easily hit 120 - 130 dB. Even when listening to IEMs or earbuds, one can be tempted to jack up the volume to hear more micro-details and stuff, easily over the 85 dB guidelines.

But noise induced deafness is irreversible, so please take care of your hearing health, as what will our hobby be without the ears? Maybe only measurebators can enjoy the audio hobby by looking at graphs without anything on the ears, but the rest of us surely need hearing health to be preserved till old age!
During the day I usually turn up the volume to hear the music due to all the background noise that competes with the music. At night, especially while listening in bed I'll set the volume lower than normal, after a while my hearing adjusts to such a low level and it actually starts sounding loud and I lower the volume some more. It's amazing the amount of detail you can hear in the music if you let your hearing adjust to low listening levels in a quiet environment.

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #74,568 of 75,358
Basically, these Aliexpress shops will get penalized if they do not put an order to a "shipped" status within a short time of the customer buying it.

So many of them use a placeholder "shipped" status. Some unscrupulous ones will even issue a fake tracking number - this is dangerous as I've encountered a few that were put as "delivered" with the fake tracking number, when nothing arrived at my home. Within a few days, Aliexpress would have close the order totally, so do pay attention for fake tracking numbers.

BTW, if you ask the shop to terminate the Yinman's cables to 4.4 or 2.5 mm, it might take a few days extra as they need to resolder it. My order was officially shipped about 1 week after ordering due to this.
Yea, I've set my shipping expectations with AE to at least 2 weeks. If they deliver within that timeframe to the states then it's all good. This is the first time I've asked for any customizations so I'm ok if it takes them another week. Thanks for the heads up!

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #74,569 of 75,358
To join the ongoing Yinman 600 discussion, I will share my experience:

I have been using earbuds in Shanling's office for some time now, a fairly well-regarded model from one of our competitors. But it was missing a bit on technical performance, so I spent way too much time in this thread and finally two weeks ago I ordered the Yinman 600. Directly from their Taobao, it seems they are just on the opposite end of the city from us :)

They are great! A massive upgrade from my previous earbuds.

For source matching, at first I tried it with a few of our UA and H models, and settled on Shanling H5 (5.6V @ 300 Ohm / 840mW @ 32 Ohm), which seemed like the first device when they felt properly powered. Later I upgraded to the Onix XP1 with external power ( 12V @ 300 Ohm / 2400mW @ 32 Ohm), it might be an overkill for these simple earbuds, but they sound simply lovely with it and it's now my main office rig.

I might later give it a go with our T35, which pumps like 7W into 32Ohm :D

Thanks to all of you in this thread for keeping this small niche of Hi-Fi going and sharing all the hard-to-find info.

37ef8715f1e7de8257f01487c610a4a.jpg

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 26, 2024 at 11:33 PM Post #74,570 of 75,358
The ddhifi DJ44AG 2.5 to 4.4 is the best one out there imo. I have a few of them :)
Agreed, though they have change the internals a bit.. I have three of them.
Thanks for the rec!

Since the Qudelix side is 2.5, and the Yinman is a 4.4 plug, I guess I would actually need the DJ44B. What's sad is that the DJ44AG is this beautiful round clear and gold casing, and the DJ44B is an ugly grey box.

1711503026688.png

1711503068960.png
While I don't have the 2.5mm male adapter, I have the female 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter, and it is exactly the same (with the 3.5mm connector rather than the 2.5mm connector), and while they are the best option compared to the other solutions, it is still pretty large to plug into a portable device. Heck, it is ALMOST the same size as my Shanling M0.... ROFL

I shared this picture a few days ago as well, but the ones on the left are all the different sizes of 4.4mm female to 3.5mm male (which is the reason I STILL prefer the DJ44B.
Interconnects.jpg

I'm using Chrome with the Qudelix Chrome plugin to control the Q5K at my computer. Yeah, you have to enter the impedance and sensitivity and the 5K does the calculation. There's a small trick, well not really a trick, but can be hard to figure out if you don't use any DSP functionality. You need to enter the impedance and sensitivity on the DSP page. Select one of the DSP configs, double click it to open a pop-up to enter the name, impedance and sensitivity, then save it. The Output Profile section of the Volume page will appear afterwards.

Q5K DSP.jpg

Output Profile.jpg
That is a very cool piece of tech to have there.

About a year or so ago, I had an argument with a fellow that used this tool to argue with me about how easy a particular set of headphones was to drive based on the premise that the sensitivity was medium high when in fact he was actually entering the (given from the maker) sensitivity number in as dB/1VRMS rather than in dB/mW. He argued that this is how all head gear is measured.

Don't get me wrong, there are some companies that DO list the sensitivity this way (i.e. Sennheiser HD800S, AKG K702, etc...). I would guess that they do this to make it seem easier to drive than it actually is, or more sensitive than it is.

Anyhow, thanks for confirming my calcs... I try to be as accurate as I can so I don't unwittingly "mislead" others (meaning I would never do it on purpose mind you)... :)

Unfortunately for me, I still do it the old-fashioned way; math (with a bit of help from online calculators as well, they just aren't nearly as easy to use, and you still have to do your own math with a couple numbers)... haha
Yeah, I'm a huge Patter-Seeking Animals fan and I have been for years after I heard Prehensile Tales at a friend's house shortly after its release. Have you checked out their album from October, Spooky Action at a Distance? Definitely up to their usual high standards so if you didn't, check it out ASAP! 🤘😎

OH! Fantastic. I have only been a huge fan since hearing the self titled album. I also have "Only Passing Through", which I didn't find quite as good as the self titled one (which remined me the most of the band that most of them came from, Spock's Beard).

Yes, I have heard it. It is in my playlists on Amazon Music. This is the album that I was talking about that Fran told me about. It is fantastic as well. Any/all of these sound absolutely brilliant in a great set of buds too. :)

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:45 PM Post #74,571 of 75,358
During the day I usually turn up the volume to hear the music due to all the background noise that competes with the music. At night, especially while listening in bed I'll set the volume lower than normal, after a while my hearing adjusts to such a low level and it actually starts sounding loud and I lower the volume some more. It's amazing the amount of detail you can hear in the music if you let your hearing adjust to low listening levels in a quiet environment.
This is one part of what I listen for when I am about to write some impressions on any head gear. This is because there are just some sets that do NOT do well at low volume but may excel at higher dBs. For instance, the best set I have heard to date for low level listening is still the Sennheiser HD700. I don't even think my beloved Yinmans can compete in this realm. For earbuds, I think the Maria II are the best at very low volume listening.

Plus, at lower level listening it is SO much easier to critique and hear what is amiss with a set. At higher volumes you might have to listen closer/harder to pick out flaws, where lower levels it just sticks out like a sore thumb... :wink:

I have been using earbuds in Shanling's office for some time now, a fairly well-regarded model from one of our competitors. But it was missing a bit on technical performance, so I spent way too much time in this thread and finally two weeks ago I ordered the Yinman 600. Directly from their Taobao, it seems they are just on the opposite end of the city from us :)

For source matching, at first I tried it with a few of our UA and H models, and settled on Shanling H5 (5.6V @ 300 Ohm / 840mW @ 32 Ohm), which seemed like the first device when they felt properly powered. Later I upgraded to the Onix XP1 with external power ( 12V @ 300 Ohm / 2400mW @ 32 Ohm), it might be an overkill for these simple earbuds, but they sound simply lovely with it and it's now my main office rig.

Thanks to all of you in this thread for keeping this small niche of Hi-Fi going and sharing all the hard-to-find info.

No, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us here. I DO think they scale very well with more power.

Tomorrow, I will have my new amplifier (14W from balanced, and 7.8W from SE) and I will get to hear them for the first time on any device that can output more than 4.3W. I was already excited, but you have now made me even more so... :wink:

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:49 AM Post #74,572 of 75,358

Hope you enjoy your new Shiny!
Also, great to hear that corporate folks are paying attention to what we think about earbuds. More chance that new stuff that suits us will become available :beerchug:

I'm using Chrome with the Qudelix Chrome plugin to control the Q5K at my computer. Yeah, you have to enter the impedance and sensitivity and the 5K does the calculation. There's a small trick, well not really a trick, but can be hard to figure out if you don't use any DSP functionality. You need to enter the impedance and sensitivity on the DSP page. Select one of the DSP configs, double click it to open a pop-up to enter the name, impedance and sensitivity, then save it. The Output Profile section of the Volume page will appear afterwards.

This is awesome! I didn't know about that function.

Mar 27, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #74,573 of 75,358

Welcome to the darkside!

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #74,574 of 75,358

Hey! Welcome here! Thanks for sharing!

No, thank you for sharing your thoughts with us here. I DO think they scale very well with more power.
Indeed! They sound devine out of a TT2!

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:09 AM Post #74,575 of 75,358
To also join the discussion regarding the Yinman 600 (i dont have the pic)
It's the only buds that i kept wanting to push the volume up and up and up, to the point of the shells vibrating lol. I dont think Longyao intentionally doing so, but it's my only head banging buds lol. Even the bassy set like Sunniva didn't get me this excited.

Mar 27, 2024 at 6:21 AM Post #74,576 of 75,358
Tomorrow, I will have my new amplifier (14W from balanced, and 7.8W from SE) and I will get to hear them for the first time on any device that can output more than 4.3W. I was already excited, but you have now made me even more so... :wink:

That's a beefy amp! Which one did you go for?

Mar 27, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #74,577 of 75,358

Now we just need a Shanling earbud :beyersmile:

Jokes aside, its nice to see youre liking them! Theyre supposed to be releasing new models (yinman) in the future but I am unsure how that is going to happen. Either way, great choice and love to see others pop in for buds!

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #74,579 of 75,358
Looking for a loving new owner for my Venture Electronics Zen SU based within the UK. Final price drop and you're unlikely to find a better price elsewhere. Having a spring clean...see here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back