Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 11, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #74,341 of 75,251
I'd say you're off to a great flats start. The Faael Iris 2.0n surprised the hell out of me. And they respond really well to eq if that's your thing. But the default sound is good as is really

Please post back when you get both Faael's. I'd like to know your thoughts between the two
Haha I wish I could buy them all, bro! I'll pick Iris 2.0 cause they're as cheap as a cheap burger here. But I couldn't make my mind about which one choose. I'll be using it a lot in noisy environments, like bus and ubers, so X6 got some points, and FF1 lost some.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 5:02 PM Post #74,343 of 75,251
Wait, so what you're saying, if i understand it correctly, is that that DIY mmcx 300ohms buds sounds identical to the Serratus?
I dont own a Serratus. Its a discovery. This is like an OEM version of the Serratus that has apparently the same tuning. Maybe someone here is interested in them. I bought them because Aliexpress doesnt ship the LBBS to my country.

Mar 11, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #74,344 of 75,251
So far, ordered by price.

Faaeal Iris 2.0
Faaeal Snow Lotus
Yincrow X6
Fiio FF1
Temperament X6
DIY earbud 300 ohm blue film.

What about Temperament X6?

Btw, do you know any cheap and good player under 50 bucks with 4.4? Moondrop Dawn Pro disconects if it moves too much on my pocket.
If you are talking about a DAP, I don't think there is such a thing that combines both "good" and having a 4.4mm balanced connection.

But, if you are looking to get another dongle like the Dawn Pro, I won't be of much help here as I DO use portable, but not dongles. Having said that, there are quite a few people on here that have a good line of some of the best dongles on the market.
Haha I wish I could buy them all, bro! I'll pick Iris 2.0 cause they're as cheap as a cheap burger here. But I couldn't make my mind about which one choose. I'll be using it a lot in noisy environments, like bus and ubers, so X6 got some points, and FF1 lost some.
One thing that I wanted to point out, if you aren't familiar, is that all of these other budget recommendations are using the MX500 shell. Not that there is an issue with that, but if you haven't tried them before, they fit different than the type of shell like the EB2S (bell), and FF1, and etc...

This is not to put you off, but instead is just something to think about. As for me, I don't like MX500 shells. While they sound good, I have a hard time fitting them. Sure, I can wear them while sitting around the house mostly fine, but if I am out and about, they tend to work themselves out of my ears over a short time, so I have to constantly fidget with them.

But, in the end I think that you have gotten some really good recommendations on a decent budget set. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the ones mentioned. They all have their downsides in the grand scheme of things, but for the little money you pay for them, they will probably make you happy for some years (until you decide that there ARE much better out there and jump down the rabbit hole with the rest of us :wink:).

Mar 11, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #74,345 of 75,251
If you are talking about a DAP, I don't think there is such a thing that combines both "good" and having a 4.4mm balanced connection.

But, if you are looking to get another dongle like the Dawn Pro, I won't be of much help here as I DO use portable, but not dongles. Having said that, there are quite a few people on here that have a good line of some of the best dongles on the market.

One thing that I wanted to point out, if you aren't familiar, is that all of these other budget recommendations are using the MX500 shell. Not that there is an issue with that, but if you haven't tried them before, they fit different than the type of shell like the EB2S (bell), and FF1, and etc...

This is not to put you off, but instead is just something to think about. As for me, I don't like MX500 shells. While they sound good, I have a hard time fitting them. Sure, I can wear them while sitting around the house mostly fine, but if I am out and about, they tend to work themselves out of my ears over a short time, so I have to constantly fidget with them.

But, in the end I think that you have gotten some really good recommendations on a decent budget set. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the ones mentioned. They all have their downsides in the grand scheme of things, but for the little money you pay for them, they will probably make you happy for some years (until you decide that there ARE much better out there and jump down the rabbit hole with the rest of us :wink:).
I have a generic, probably nicehck, MX500. They fit ok. It's really hard to choose, there are a handful options that look really nice.

Living in Brazil is kinda hard to jump down this hole. Taxes here are brutal ☹️

Mar 11, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #74,346 of 75,251
I dont own a Serratus. Its a discovery. This is like an OEM version of the Serratus that has apparently the same tuning. Maybe someone here is interested in them. I bought them because Aliexpress doesnt ship the LBBS to my country.
If you dont own them, at least did you heard them? Or how can you know that they have the same tuning?

Mar 11, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #74,347 of 75,251
If you dont own them, at least did you heard them? Or how can you know that they have the same tuning?
My reasoning: they just sound like the Serratus graph that i found on this website. I did eq them using this graph and autoeq.app and it worked fine. Thats why. Just an inexpensive earbud with a similar tuning.

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #74,349 of 75,251
My reasoning: they just sound like the Serratus graph that i found on this website. I did eq them using this graph and autoeq.app and it worked fine. Thats why. Just an inexpensive earbud with a similar tuning.
Just keep in mind that graphs for earbuds are (mostly) inaccurate or change with the individual. Plus, even if they were accurate, matching graphs don't mean they sound the same at all.

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:16 AM Post #74,350 of 75,251
Amazing how an old favorite album becomes a new favorite album again...

ab67616d0000b273e6698c8f835c634d0f713630

...after listening through this new 600Ω Bery bud build.

Wooden MMCX 600 Bery.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 12:43 AM Post #74,351 of 75,251
I've rolled a substancial amount of amps with earbuds but I am blown away with this combo:

IMG_2429.jpeg

IBasso PB5 Osprey -> R6P2 -> Desolation Black Sound

DS is a reference tuned TGX set. PB5 adds bass quantity bringing it near SBs levels. Theres now a healthy amount of mid bass slam, this euphonic glow added to the mids. Vocals / instruments sound effortless and natural yet textured and dynamic. The nutubes expands the stage further (especially the depth) and the layering becomes more holographic. To date I haven't heard an earbud sound this resolving and balanced. A step further towards realism. This is end game flat head sound.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #74,352 of 75,251
Amazing how an old favorite album becomes a new favorite album again...

ab67616d0000b273e6698c8f835c634d0f713630

...after listening through this new 600Ω Bery bud build.

Wooden MMCX 600 Bery.jpg
Hey... Is that the Once upon Audio buds?

Mar 12, 2024 at 5:36 AM Post #74,355 of 75,251
I've rolled a substancial amount of amps with earbuds but I am blown away with this combo:

IMG_2429.jpeg
IBasso PB5 Osprey -> R6P2 -> Desolation Black Sound

DS is a reference tuned TGX set. PB5 adds bass quantity bringing it near SBs levels. Theres now a healthy amount of mid bass slam, this euphonic glow added to the mids. Vocals / instruments sound effortless and natural yet textured and dynamic. The nutubes expands the stage further (especially the depth) and the layering becomes more holographic. To date I haven't heard an earbud sound this resolving and balanced. A step further towards realism. This is end game flat head sound.
what is an R6P2? And why does the ibasso look so thin on the photo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back