Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 9, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #74,311 of 75,478
SimPhonio Dragon D3+ 15th Anniversary Version Earbud is available now :relaxed:

D3 15TH AE IEM.jpg

More three-dimensional sound field.

The D3+ 15th driver features a ground-breaking 14.2mm dual diaphragm driver, which is composed of two ultra-thin diaphragm materials, offering both excellent rigidity and excellent toughness.

The driver drive coil has been upgraded to 0.04mm copper-aluminum composite, which is about one-third lighter than the traditional enameled coil.

The magnet adopts custom imported N52NdFeB magnet. With a dynamic impedance of around 32Ω, the D3+ has excellent drive and can be easily driven by a mobile phone or a small USB tail.

Japan Furukawa single crystal copper wire base,8 shares, 640 ultra-fine wire cores.

2 types of adjustable sponge band of different densities are included,It can change different sound styles, and the playability is greatly increased.

Specification

Brand: simphonio

Model: D3+ 15th

Driver: 14.2mm Ceramic diaphragm

Impedance: 32Ω

Sensitivity: 120dB / mW

Frequency response range: 20-40kHz

Cable: 6N OCC

Plug : 4.4mm balanced

Plug type: straight

Cable length: 1.3m

https://penonaudio.com/Simphonio-Dragon-3Plus-15th-Anniversary.html
Wow! Those are so sensitive that you could probably blow on the cable and get sound from them.... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
chaconne arrieved an hour ago and sticks in my ears rn, so couldnt get them on the photo. will write first impressions soon.
20240308_1156252.jpg
Congrats on your new shiny! :)

I am anxious to hear your impressions on these. :)
thank you for those additional impressions, seems the rw4000 could be right up my alle, as it seems to be slightly warmer in the mids than the rw3000, which i find ever so slightly cold.

Edit: A dumb question i should be able to answer my self after almost 20 years dedicated to headphones, but balanced was sth i never did my research for.

So as the Chaconnes i got are terminated with a 4.4mm plug, would it be ok to use a 4.4mm to 3,5mm adapter to drive them on a single ended output too?
I know i cannot do that the other way araund at least with headphones, right? When they are terminated SE i cannot use a balanced aadapter to run them of a balanced output afaik.
4.4mm transducer cable -> 3.5 mm source using an adapter is fine.

Not the other way round - ie no 3.5 mm transducer cable to 4.4 mm source using an adapter. That will spoil the amp. But there are some rare adapters from DDHIFI that enable 3.5mm cable -> 4.4mm source, but as a general rule, most of the other adapters will fry the amp.
Exactly what @baskingshark said....

iBasso has a "trusted" one as well. The only reason I use the word trusted is because you can actually get these from a lot of Chinese sources, but you are taking a chance that they have wired them correctly, and not just re-labeled a standard adapter (because there are also 3.5mm balanced connections that can use these standard adapters). One has to be very careful when buying this type of adapter.

From an electrical standpoint you can look at it this way: The single ended (here forth known as SE) circuit has only 3 wires. You have the left hot wire, right hot wire, and ground. The ground is the important part here when trying to figure out if you can plug a differing setup into the amplifier/DAP/source. in an amplifier that has any SE connection (typically 3.5mm) the two grounds are tied together.

In a balanced connection you have 4 wires (as opposed to 3 in the SE); left hot wire, right hot wire, ground for left, and ground for right, and they are all separated in the amplifier circuit. An added benefit of having this setup is that you eliminate any crosstalk you might have in a SE connection. So in your amplifier circuit, if you go from balanced connection out to a SE cable or head gear, you are shorting out the ground wires. Since each transducer only has 2 wires, there is no dedicated ground (a positive and negative, and a true ground), and that means that the ground is considered "hot" as well (having electrical potential). So with this setup it would be like taking something like a "household" extension cord that only has 2 wires (not the commercial one that has an extra/true ground) and cutting off the outgoing end (leaving the wall plugin alone), stripping the wires, and touching the red and black together. Though it would be a lesser effect in a sound circuit, it is essentially the same thing that you are doing here.

Since the SE circuit in the amplifier is already set up to have the grounds shorted, it doesn't harm it, but in balanced they are wired internally to be separated and will cause harm to the amplifier if those circuits are shorted.
Regarding the topic of using 3,5mm in 4,4mm via adapter, i have Tempotec Sonata E44, which comes with a 4,4mm male to 3,5mm female adapter, and is the only way to use it with 3,5mm transducers, as the 4,4mm is the main out. I think they would not provide a adapter that wasn't safe to use given the context, but who knows.
You guys think this adapter is safe to use with other sources?

Also, how can i identify a 'fryied' amp?
It is definitely possible that they have provided a properly wired adapter, and if this is the case, you are safe to use it in any 4.4mm socket. Having said that, I am only assuming this, and you might want to contact Temptec to make sure that they didn't do something crazy here. They might have wired the 4.4mm socket to have their grounds shorted like a SE circuit would be, and simply sent you a regular adapter. As much as I paid for my DAP, I would not want to simply "test" this by plugging it in to just any old socket.

You will know because it will stop working. There are some early warning signs sometimes; though I wouldn't count on that just to test things. It could fry it right away, or you could get away with it for a long time. One early warning sign is if one side of your headgear pops, or sound cuts out, or any weird thing like this.

This is one reason that I try to always get head gear that has a balanced connection, because I can come from the source with either SE or balanced just using an adapter, but if you buy head gear with SE, you are limited to a SE connection only from your source (unless you successfully manage to get one of those "special" adapters, and it it wired internally the correct way).

Mar 9, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #74,312 of 75,478
This is a very honest answer. Don't worry, I believe you bro :beerchug:
Similar here! I never really found a driver I have hated, all have their own quirks and downsides, but never one that outright performed badly. Makes building earbuds pretty rewarding.

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #74,313 of 75,478
Congrats on your new shiny! :)

I am anxious to hear your impressions on these. :)
i think i can calm your anxiety :relieved:
have now about 15 hrs on them and just want to keep on listening thru all genres and absolutely have no desire to change to another pair not even for a/b testing or whatever.
they could be the most even in frequency response i have and are so smooth and sweet sounding. i dont find them bright at all and they reach pretty deep down in the sub bass. not the biggest impact but very tight and high quality in that region.
will see, what happens when i put another pair in but so far the description K702/k702 is pretty much spot on, i loved my k701 back than for exactly the same things the Chaconne does, though they sound a notch meatier and realistic than the akg.
oh my and i dont even want to start raving about soundstage depth and almost pin point imaging. Fact is Moondrop knows how to controll these drivers, i cant hear any bloom anywhere, its all just tight and precise with a sugar toping of smooth- and evenness.

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #74,314 of 75,478
i think i can calm your anxiety :relieved:
have now about 15 hrs on them and just want to keep on listening thru all genres and absolutely have no desire to change to another pair not even for a/b testing or whatever.
they could be the most even in frequency response i have and are so smooth and sweet sounding. i dont find them bright at all and they reach pretty deep down in the sub bass. not the biggest impact but very tight and high quality in that region.
will see, what happens when i put another pair in but so far the description K702/k702 is pretty much spot on, i loved my k701 back than for exactly the same things the Chaconne does, though they sound a notch meatier and realistic than the akg.
oh my and i dont even want to start raving about soundstage depth and almost pin point imaging. Fact is Moondrop knows how to controll these drivers, i cant hear any bloom anywhere, its all just tight and precise with a sugar toping of smooth- and evenness.
Apologies for seemingly pushing you for an answer. I didn't actually mean the word anxious. I actually meant to say "excited". Either way, thanks for sharing your first impressions on these.

I figured you would like them. Anyone that appreciates the K701/K702 can also fall in love with these buds. I think that Moondrop tuned these perfectly for the driver that they used. If they would have used the same driver and tried to tune them differently, I don't think they would be near as good as they are overall. I know that these are getting on in age, but why would you change something that you really can't improve on overall? Just like the HD600/HD650 that are still available even now, and have been around for many many years now. I WOULD like to see Moondrop create a contrasting set, and have more than one set to choose from.

Did you get your set with a balanced connector, or SE? I got mine with a 2.5mm balanced connection. This because I have all three sockets on my DAP (2.5mm 4.4mm, and 3.5mm).

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #74,315 of 75,478
Apologies for seemingly pushing you for an answer. I didn't actually mean the word anxious. I actually meant to say "excited". Either way, thanks for sharing your first impressions on these.

I figured you would like them. Anyone that appreciates the K701/K702 can also fall in love with these buds. I think that Moondrop tuned these perfectly for the driver that they used. If they would have used the same driver and tried to tune them differently, I don't think they would be near as good as they are overall. I know that these are getting on in age, but why would you change something that you really can't improve on overall? Just like the HD600/HD650 that are still available even now, and have been around for many many years now. I WOULD like to see Moondrop create a contrasting set, and have more than one set to choose from.

Did you get your set with a balanced connector, or SE? I got mine with a 2.5mm balanced connection. This because I have all three sockets on my DAP (2.5mm 4.4mm, and 3.5mm)
Nothing to apologize for. All good!

I got the Charconne terminated with a 4.4 balanced plug. Lucky me the G5 has an 3.5 and a 4.4 even tho technically not balanced, as far as i understand it. Still it has enough power tho. Looking for a new desktop or maybe even portable DAc and amp or combo truely balanced and if possible Class A anyways. Would love to hear the new Rose Techniques, but there is no chance to get a hand on in europe. Might finally get the Xduoo XD05pro with Sparkos Opamps as this seems to be the best around 1000 EUR solution regarding soundstage depth and layering from all the devices i looked into. Only the Rose seems to rival or even be better in this regard.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #74,316 of 75,478
Tbh, i've reverted back to 3.5 from 4.4 lol. Way wider range of compatibility. Now i either use a 3.5 cable or a 4.4 cable with a 4.4>3.5 adapter. I don't really care about true balance. I already have a good enough power

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #74,317 of 75,478
I discovered something interesting that I wanted to share. This earbud on Aliexpress is apparently very similar to the TGxear Serratus. I ordered the 300ohm blue version of this earbud and put one of my soft mmcx cables on it. Then i took a measurement of the Serratus and made an eq profile that should result in a balanced sound. It worked on my new earbud. Apparently the tuning matches the Serratus exactly. After some burn in time I do have to say that this new earbud has very good imagining and can sound very relaxed. It is really good for gaming and I prefer it over headphones for gaming. I will keep rocking this earbud and i am gonna finish some games I want to beat with it.

Have i mentioned that it apparently sounds better after burning it in? It is almost like the sound is improving.

https://aliexpress.com/item/1005005...t_main.47.21ef5c5faFC07J&gatewayAdapt=glo2deu

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #74,318 of 75,478
I discovered something interesting that I wanted to share. This earbud on Aliexpress is apparently very similar to the TGxear Serratus. I ordered the 300ohm blue version of this earbud and put one of my soft mmcx cables on it. Then i took a measurement of the Serratus and made an eq profile that should result in a balanced sound. It worked on my new earbud. Apparently the tuning matches the Serratus exactly. After some burn in time I do have to say that this new earbud has very good imagining and can sound very relaxed. It is really good for gaming and I prefer it over headphones for gaming. I will keep rocking this earbud and i am gonna finish some games I want to beat with it.

Have i mentioned that it apparently sounds better after burning it in? It is almost like the sound is improving.

https://aliexpress.com/item/1005005...t_main.47.21ef5c5faFC07J&gatewayAdapt=glo2deu
Thanks for sharing your find!

There's so many options to choose from, I simply cannot pick one. Lol. Maybe I'll just play it safe and get a lower ohm set. As I'm not sure if my phone will push enough to give those 300ohm's the amount to really shine. Portable is the main way I listen.

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #74,319 of 75,478
Thanks for sharing your find!

There's so many options to choose from, I simply cannot pick one. Lol. Maybe I'll just play it safe and get a lower ohm set. As I'm not sure if my phone will push enough to give those 300ohm's the amount to really shine. Portable is the main way I listen.
The 300 ohm blue were easy to drive. My amp needed at best just 5dB more then when I used my last earbud.

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #74,321 of 75,478

Thanks for checking these out! I saw them and wondered how they compared to the Serratus. `Any comments from any of the DIY people on this driver/build?

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #74,322 of 75,478
I need some help choosing my new earbuds. Former IEM user here and in love with nicehck eb2s comfort and sound, but they lack bass. A lot of bass, maybe.
Unfortunatelly I'm restricted to AliExpress and my budget is only 50 USD (if it costs one penny more, I have to pay twice it's price in taxes.)... So, no Fiio FF3 ☹️

I've read some good comments about Aeolian Bells and Temperament x6. But I don't have a cable to the first one (accepting cheap and good recomendations). Do they have good bass and would be an upgrade? Any other recomendations? Fiio FF1?

I listen basicaly to black metal, shoegaze and ambient stuff like Maeror Tri. I have a Moondrop Dawn Pro and a 4.4 2 pins cable.

Thanks, guys!

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #74,323 of 75,478
I need some help choosing my new earbuds. Former IEM user here and in love with nicehck eb2s comfort and sound, but they lack bass. A lot of bass, maybe.
Unfortunatelly I'm restricted to AliExpress and my budget is only 50 USD (if it costs one penny more, I have to pay twice it's price in taxes.)... So, no Fiio FF3 ☹️

I've read some good comments about Aeolian Bells and Temperament x6. But I don't have a cable to the first one (accepting cheap and good recomendations). Do they have good bass and would be an upgrade? Any other recomendations? Fiio FF1?

I listen basicaly to black metal, shoegaze and ambient stuff like Maeror Tri. I have a Moondrop Dawn Pro and a 4.4 2 pins cable.

Thanks, guys!
If you already got an mmcx cable, then this earbud. I got the 300 ohm blue version.

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:47 PM Post #74,324 of 75,478

Can you tell me some keywords to type into aliexpress to search for it? My phone is taking me to the main page rather than a link to the product. Appreciate it

Mar 10, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #74,325 of 75,478
Can you tell me some keywords to type into aliexpress to search for it? My phone is taking me to the main page rather than a link to the product. Appreciate it
DIY earbud 300 ohm blue film

Should be a good search term for this. You should see an earbud without a cable in the search results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back