Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 7, 2024 at 11:04 PM Post #74,282 of 75,869
I'm a little late to the Praise Party, but this is definitely one of the most insightful, detailed, and *useful* earbud reviews I have read. It's great to have a professional musician, with a trained ear and refined musical sensibilities, use all of his heightened perceptive abilities to help us find our way through the Unknown Earbud Swamp. (How do you choose an earbud if you don't know what it sounds like?). That's just -- I don't know -- "progalicious" maybe?
I just want to be clear that, although @JAnonymous5150 is very deserving of praise, there are obviously many others who have made this thread and upheld its life with the gift of their energy, time, passion, and insight. I was going to name everybody that I can think of, but then I thought, yikes -- what if I leave some great soul out? So let's just say to all who contribute thoughts, questions, pictures, inspirations, rants, expertise, guidance and most of all -- great tips about earbuds! -- you are seen, appreciated, and thanked! And I know -- not just by me!

Mar 7, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #74,283 of 75,869
I just want to be clear that, although @JAnonymous5150 is very deserving of praise, there are obviously many others who have made this thread and upheld its life with the gift of their energy, time, passion, and insight. I was going to name everybody that I can think of, but then I thought, yikes -- what if I leave some great soul out? So let's just say to all who contribute thoughts, questions, pictures, inspirations, rants, expertise, guidance and most of all -- great tips about earbuds! -- you are seen, appreciated, and thanked! And I know -- not just by me!

Hear! Hear! Well said, brother. I know all the contributors in this thread have my sincerest thanks and appreciation. No matter what part any individual here plays, they all contribute to the knowledge and friendly atmosphere that makes this one of my favorite threads to visit. Thanks for everything! 👍🤘😎

Mar 8, 2024 at 12:11 AM Post #74,284 of 75,869
Well said indeed 🙂

And I think I'm going to take my first step in the RW series with the RW-9, thanks to @JAnonymous5150 and his RW-4000 review . But I'd like to dip my toes in the RW-9 before I plunge into the higher end RW's.

Edit.: This excellent thread had made my very small wallet very angry. But that's ok as it's brought me a lot of joy.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #74,285 of 75,869
SimPhonio Dragon D3+ 15th Anniversary Version Earbud is available now :relaxed:

D3 15TH AE IEM.jpg

More three-dimensional sound field.

The D3+ 15th driver features a ground-breaking 14.2mm dual diaphragm driver, which is composed of two ultra-thin diaphragm materials, offering both excellent rigidity and excellent toughness.

The driver drive coil has been upgraded to 0.04mm copper-aluminum composite, which is about one-third lighter than the traditional enameled coil.

The magnet adopts custom imported N52NdFeB magnet. With a dynamic impedance of around 32Ω, the D3+ has excellent drive and can be easily driven by a mobile phone or a small USB tail.

Japan Furukawa single crystal copper wire base,8 shares, 640 ultra-fine wire cores.

2 types of adjustable sponge band of different densities are included,It can change different sound styles, and the playability is greatly increased.

Specification

Brand: simphonio

Model: D3+ 15th

Driver: 14.2mm Ceramic diaphragm

Impedance: 32Ω

Sensitivity: 120dB / mW

Frequency response range: 20-40kHz

Cable: 6N OCC

Plug : 4.4mm balanced

Plug type: straight

Cable length: 1.3m

https://penonaudio.com/Simphonio-Dragon-3Plus-15th-Anniversary.html

PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Mar 8, 2024 at 5:55 AM Post #74,286 of 75,869
SimPhonio Dragon D3+ 15th Anniversary Version Earbud is available now :relaxed:

D3 15TH AE IEM.jpg

More three-dimensional sound field.

The D3+ 15th driver features a ground-breaking 14.2mm dual diaphragm driver, which is composed of two ultra-thin diaphragm materials, offering both excellent rigidity and excellent toughness.

The driver drive coil has been upgraded to 0.04mm copper-aluminum composite, which is about one-third lighter than the traditional enameled coil.

The magnet adopts custom imported N52NdFeB magnet. With a dynamic impedance of around 32Ω, the D3+ has excellent drive and can be easily driven by a mobile phone or a small USB tail.

Japan Furukawa single crystal copper wire base,8 shares, 640 ultra-fine wire cores.

2 types of adjustable sponge band of different densities are included,It can change different sound styles, and the playability is greatly increased.

Specification

Brand: simphonio

Model: D3+ 15th

Driver: 14.2mm Ceramic diaphragm

Impedance: 32Ω

Sensitivity: 120dB / mW

Frequency response range: 20-40kHz

Cable: 6N OCC

Plug : 4.4mm balanced

Plug type: straight

Cable length: 1.3m

https://penonaudio.com/Simphonio-Dragon-3Plus-15th-Anniversary.html
And it still uses the versions of the yuin shells that don't fit my ears :frowning2:

Mar 8, 2024 at 6:07 AM Post #74,288 of 75,869
chaconne arrieved an hour ago and sticks in my ears rn, so couldnt get them on the photo. will write first impressions soon.
20240308_1156252.jpg
Hope you enjoy it! It is a nice earbud for sure. A little bit dated but I hope moondrop update this one soon. I know Nicehck are doing a new flagship this year!

Mar 8, 2024 at 6:26 AM Post #74,289 of 75,869
I keep A/Bing between the RW-3000 and the 4000, and I find the 4000 to be noticeably much more muddy, like on snare strikes. For me, it's the 3000 that sounds like the expensive one, and the 4000 like the cheaper. Do these need some amplification or I may have gotten a defective pair?

Edit: Sorry, meant snare.
thank you for those additional impressions, seems the rw4000 could be right up my alle, as it seems to be slightly warmer in the mids than the rw3000, which i find ever so slightly cold.

Edit: A dumb question i should be able to answer my self after almost 20 years dedicated to headphones, but balanced was sth i never did my research for.

So as the Chaconnes i got are terminated with a 4.4mm plug, would it be ok to use a 4.4mm to 3,5mm adapter to drive them on a single ended output too?
I know i cannot do that the other way araund at least with headphones, right? When they are terminated SE i cannot use a balanced aadapter to run them of a balanced output afaik.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #74,290 of 75,869
thank you for those additional impressions, seems the rw4000 could be right up my alle, as it seems to be slightly warmer in the mids than the rw3000, which i find ever so slightly cold.
Ok, I changed foams from the RW-4000 included for the RW-3000 included. It seems to me the 4000 ones are denser, they increase midbass and kills the highs, so much so that cymbals wouldn't shimmer, snares were pretty much dead, instrument separation was pretty underwhelming and so on, I thought the set was pretty mediocre, even more given the asking price. Now that I changed the foams it's got much better, but that was a few hours ago and I need some more time to formulate a better opinion. Also bought some silicone rings to test on both the earbuds, hopefully I get a more comfortable fit and maybe a better sound. Still, I prefer the former shell design, it fitted me much better.

Mar 8, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #74,291 of 75,869

Edit: A dumb question i should be able to answer my self after almost 20 years dedicated to headphones, but balanced was sth i never did my research for.

So as the Chaconnes i got are terminated with a 4.4mm plug, would it be ok to use a 4.4mm to 3,5mm adapter to drive them on a single ended output too?
I know i cannot do that the other way araund at least with headphones, right? When they are terminated SE i cannot use a balanced aadapter to run them of a balanced output afaik.

4.4mm transducer cable -> 3.5 mm source using an adapter is fine.

Not the other way round - ie no 3.5 mm transducer cable to 4.4 mm source using an adapter. That will spoil the amp. But there are some rare adapters from DDHIFI that enable 3.5mm cable -> 4.4mm source, but as a general rule, most of the other adapters will fry the amp.

Mar 8, 2024 at 7:22 AM Post #74,292 of 75,869
4.4mm transducer cable -> 3.5 mm source using an adapter is fine.

Not the other way round - ie no 3.5 mm transducer cable to 4.4 mm source using an adapter. That will spoil the amp. But there are some rare adapters from DDHIFI that enable 3.5mm cable -> 4.4mm source, but as a general rule, most of the other adapters will fry the amp.
thank you for your fast reply it really helps me out! Much appreciated!

Mar 8, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #74,293 of 75,869
hmmm, does anyone know about ceramic drivers ?

Got it DLC drivers:
1709901744249.png

The sound is slightly softened, smooth, but lacks zest. In my opinion, it is expensive and does not justify its price. I didn’t like the official store - there are rude managers there who say that they are busy and will not answer questions (I asked about the driver that I found on their Facebook).

Mar 8, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #74,294 of 75,869

Got it DLC drivers:
1709901744249.png

The sound is slightly softened, smooth, but lacks zest. In my opinion, it is expensive and does not justify its price. I didn’t like the official store - there are rude managers there who say that they are busy and will not answer questions (I asked about the driver that I found on their Facebook).
@SlhDub have the 180ohm version

Mar 8, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #74,295 of 75,869

Got it DLC drivers:
1709901744249.png

they have pretty good details, vocals are forward and intimate, lack air and lack low end punch and texture....id say they ar enot worth the asking price. Those transparent driver shells are bad quality mine cracked from the first time i popped them onto mx500 shells and one of the driver became loose from the shell. As a comparison i like the 120bery way better, much better sensation of openness, better micro details and much better deep bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back