Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 15, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #73,621 of 75,563
@ValSuki I would go with both 64ohm builds which are quite similar (one for you one for your friend). Very good all-rounders

My week-end build - 32 bery comp
Thank you! I will definitely give those ones a go.

I plan on using resin art or some form of it for the splitter as I think it would look lovely on it!
I'll post updates on the final build here.

Jan 15, 2024 at 6:09 AM Post #73,622 of 75,563
My favourite is the 130bery. To my ear it's a better 150BG, but it's twice as expensive.

Jan 15, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #73,624 of 75,563

Attachments

• 659ac025160053342.jpg_e1080.jpg
    659ac025160053342.jpg_e1080.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 0
Jan 15, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #73,626 of 75,563
Hello to fellow earbud enjoyers.

I have Fiio FF5 (and a bunch of lower-end earbuds). They sound nice overall, but they don't fit my ears as well as MX500-style earbuds, the shells are too small and not flat enough.

What are the best sounding earbuds with MX500-style shell? My preferred sound signature is warm, but with detailed bass, good clarity and separation and good treble extension. The aspects of FF5 I would like to improve on are clarity (without boosted 3-5 kHz region) and snare drum sound (it sounds a little weird on FF5). My favorite sound signature out of all earbuds I've tried is Yincrow X6/RW9, so I am basically looking for high end version of those.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #73,627 of 75,563

I have Fiio FF5 (and a bunch of lower-end earbuds). They sound nice overall, but they don't fit my ears as well as MX500-style earbuds, the shells are too small and not flat enough.

What are the best sounding earbuds with MX500-style shell? My preferred sound signature is warm, but with detailed bass, good clarity and separation and good treble extension. The aspects of FF5 I would like to improve on are clarity (without boosted 3-5 kHz region) and snare drum sound (it sounds a little weird on FF5). My favorite sound signature out of all earbuds I've tried is Yincrow X6/RW9, so I am basically looking for high end version of those.
Maybe check if rikubud still makes his gen1 buds.

Jan 16, 2024 at 2:11 AM Post #73,628 of 75,563

That's an easy question IMHO - TGXEar makes mx500 earbuds with TOTL tuning. Send him a message on Instagram or here @tgx78. I have two of his sets and they have excellent timbre, separation, imaging, and, depending on the model, midbass quantity and quality.

Jan 16, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #73,629 of 75,563
Maybe check if rikubud still makes his gen1 buds.
Riku still makes his Gen1 buds. I am on the waitlist for his Berserker1. Also his Gen1 Buds are only around 60-65 € shipped to your place. Just contact him and tell him about x6 being your favorite signature, he has quite a range of different Buds, he will set you up with the right set.
Tbh I have not heard a set of his yet, so it is a bit weird of me to recommend him.😏
Contact with him was really nice though and he listened to my needs and made recommendations. Personal service is something you will definitely only get from the independent makers like TGX or Rikubuds, not on Aliexpress! So I guess my recommendation is for now based on that part of the experience alone... 😄

Jan 16, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #73,631 of 75,563
Thanks all for the answers. Does anybody know if Serratus can be driven properly by Sony WM1A on high gain? 300 Ohm seems like it might be a little steep for my dap.
Is that 500 mW balanced? That's a lot and probably sufficient...

Jan 16, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #73,632 of 75,563
Thanks all for the answers. Does anybody know if Serratus can be driven properly by Sony WM1A on high gain? 300 Ohm seems like it might be a little steep for my dap.
I can drive Serratus with my ZX-707 (230 mW/channel) which has slightly less power output than the WM1A (250 mW/channel) to a volume level higher than I care to listen. Sony DAPs are known to have a warmish signature and the Serratus are bass monsters, so the synergy of the combination might be too bass heavy. When I use Serratus with a Shanling M3X, the synergy is better.

Having said the ZX707 can drive the Serratus louder than I care to listen to them, the Serratus do benefit from being driven with a higher output amplifier for better dynamics. Something to think about.

Jan 16, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #73,634 of 75,563
Is that 500 mW balanced? That's a lot and probably sufficient...
It should be able to drive them fine for the most part. This is assuming that the sensitivity of the buds aren't some crazy low number. This is also going to depend on how loud you plan on listening to them. For instance, the Yinman 2.0 600 are 600 ohms, but only have a sensitivity rating of 87dB/mW. This means that in order to listen at around (and higher) 100dBSPL, you would need roughly 10VRMS to be able to properly drive them. Volume levels under this are fine for most contemporary devices though.

Having said that, and as @mt877 mentioned, they will probably scale with more power, but I think you will be able to excite and properly damp the drivers with this setup. It will come down to synergy in the end, I think.

If I knew the sensitivity rating of this set, I could be a bit more precise though. :)

Jan 16, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #73,635 of 75,563
I've had the ksearphone lbbs for a little over a year and a half now and one of the drivers is slowly giving up the ghost. Maybe someone here can recommend something that will last longer.

Budget: 50€
Source: PC, smartphone (apple usb-c dongle)
Preferred connection: 3.5TRS
Listening level & session duration: maximum room volume, 6h+
Preferred music genre: I use it as a daily driver only for videos, podcasts, audiobooks
Preferred shell and foam pad type: i know the MX500 fit well and the lbbs fit well too, standard full foam pad (small hole)
Favorite sound signature: I liked the lbbs, I also own a dt990 which I like, but I would say for this use case neutral-slightly warm would fit well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back