Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 4, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #72,181 of 75,165
What source are you using BTW? Not many portable sources can do the Yinman 600 ohm justice (87 dB/mW sensitivity and 600 ohm impedance).

When driven well, it is one of the best buds in my collection, but if underpowered, the soundstage is compressed, dynamics are lacking and the bass is flabby and one-noted.
Calyx M and AKS DAC1305 as dacamp. Senn hd-580 with 300 Ohm - not problem.

Nov 4, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #72,182 of 75,165
Calyx M and AKS DAC1305 as dacamp. Senn hd-580 with 300 Ohm - not problem.

I've not tried the sources you are using, but the Senn HD580 is a breeze to drive compared to the Yinmans (double whammy of low sensitivity plus high impedance).

Not a matter of volume, but if underpowered, the Yinmans are untextured and bloated in the bass, with a lack of dynamics.

Nov 4, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #72,183 of 75,165
smabat (lun sheng) gone mad? hope this price on ye02 is just a placeholder.

Screenshot_20230902_082926_AliExpress.jpg
See them for 82,- eur on AE. Are they any good? There are no reviews to be found.

Nov 4, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #72,184 of 75,165
IMG_8988.jpeg

Cypherus Audio Susvara Black Dragon 🐉

Arrived yesterday and has been burning in. I’ll give some impressions soon. So far it’s a very Macro Dynamic sound with large and deep imaging. Big Bold sound with great depth of stage and good width. The sub bass is the focus and goes extremely deep and rumbles like no other Bud I’ve heard. Mid bass is a nice warm blanket keeping the signature warm and detailed.
More to come later. My VE Zen SU arrives in the next few days and will be anxious to compare with DS. A Trifecta TOTL earbud shootout….

Nov 5, 2023 at 2:09 AM Post #72,186 of 75,165
Can one describe what is the average characteristic of speaker, compare to earphone, IEM
In scale of 10.
For example

Speaker seperation 10,
EARBUD seperation 7,
iem seperation 4

Speaker layering
EARBUD layering
iem layering

Speaker detail
EARBUD detail
iem detail

Speaker soundstage
EARBUD soundstage
iem soundstage

I really like speaker to my library, I wanna know how far off compare to earbud.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 3:07 AM Post #72,187 of 75,165
Can one describe what is the average characteristic of speaker, compare to earphone, IEM
In scale of 10.
For example

Speaker seperation 10,
EARBUD seperation 7,
iem seperation 4

Speaker layering
EARBUD layering
iem layering

Speaker detail
EARBUD detail
iem detail

Speaker soundstage
EARBUD soundstage
iem soundstage

I really like speaker to my library, I wanna know how far off compare to earbud.
I'm afraid the question you asked cannot be answered. There is simply no such thing as an average sound characteristic of speakers/IEMs/earbuds. The variety in each segment is sooooo wide... (the only exception is soundstage, which is the widest in speakers)

Nov 5, 2023 at 6:58 AM Post #72,189 of 75,165
I had inquired about the price of the CAX susvara black dragon. It's $1150 plus shipping & pp fees. Comes with 6 months warranty and 3 months lead time.
Im kind of wondering about getting one and calling it a day for a while. Does anybody know if he repairs them once the warranty has passed? Otherwise it would be too expensive for me to consider

Nov 5, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #72,190 of 75,165
Capture d’écran 2023-11-03 à 16.14.33.png

CAX susvara still Burning 24/24.

A little listening at around 100 hours and goosebumps listening to this album with LP6ti7AE ( can't wait to try them with the P6 TI99).
I'm now going to wait for the punitive period to end (200 hours to go!) but I know they're going to kick ass! better than high-flying IEMs (and I've had some), better than ultimate headphones (and I think I've had some)? :
Well, probably, and certainly for me and for the ease of wearing them, even if the cable is particularly stiff but seems to get nicer with a little fiddling. But these are my ears...

I'll be back ..

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #72,191 of 75,165
Im kind of wondering about getting one and calling it a day for a while. Does anybody know if he repairs them once the warranty has passed? Otherwise it would be too expensive for me to consider
I’m sure he would but you would have to pay for shipping to Jakarta and back…

Nov 5, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #72,193 of 75,165
I've not tried the sources you are using, but the Senn HD580 is a breeze to drive compared to the Yinmans (double whammy of low sensitivity plus high impedance).

Not a matter of volume, but if underpowered, the Yinmans are untextured and bloated in the bass, with a lack of dynamics.
To add to that, I recollect that even on a source with very poor driving power, these can indeed get pretty loud (even if not sounding as good). :)
In scale of 10.
For example

Speaker seperation 10,
EARBUD seperation 7,
iem seperation 4

Speaker layering
EARBUD layering
iem layering

Speaker detail
EARBUD detail
iem detail

Speaker soundstage
EARBUD soundstage
iem soundstage

As mentioned, this is an impossible ask, because all earbuds are NOT alike. I would actually liken the "standard" of these categories more to open back headphones than either speakers, or IEMs IMHO.
Did you guys try custom mmcx cables with the RW-3000? Any suggestions? Copper, silver, hybrids? Thanks.
I have not. I like the stock cable so much, that I couldn't bring myself to change it. Plus the fact that they (now) come with the modular connectors, it is hard to use anything else with these. :)

The reason I say "now" is because I got mine when they first came out, and back then, they did not offer that option with the cable. I ordered mine with a 2.5mm balanced connector.

Nov 5, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #72,194 of 75,165
Evening all. Looking for a bit of advice/opinion please. Been dabbling in the hobby for about 18 months and wondering if I'm coming to the end of my 'over the counter' journey and need to move properly into DIY. I spent my first few hundred pounds like a kid in a sweet shop trying out different tunings and brands but it was mostly just side grades (although the value in these side grades seemed far better than similar purchases with iems). I moved on to the Venture Electronics Asura 3.0 and Zen 3.0 along with the Yinman 2.0 600 and was really impressed. Then I bought a pair of TGXEar Serratus and was quietly amazed at what can be achieved by a pair of buds. Are there any obvious pairs I'm missing before diving further down the TGX/Riku rabbit hole? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

Nov 5, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #72,195 of 75,165
IMG_8993.jpeg
Some further impressions of this truly magnificent sounding earbud! The Susvara Black Dragon does no disappoint!

I’ll start with the not so great. For an earbud that I paid $1250 all said and done I would’ve expected the finishing to be better. The cable is horrendous to say the very least. It’s not a move around cable, it’s a sit and stay put cable. It’s VERY Stiff and has a mind of its own frustrating me to no end to get a good fit as the cable can twist the Bud right out of the ear. The Y split looks cheap and has plastic insulation protruding out of it which is quite ugly…Onto the shells, the shells are MX500, the CAX lettering and logo look nice however the bottom portion of the stems have some stress areas from the cable being pulled through and the faceplates have glue residue around the edges from not being cleaned off properly. The 4.4mm plug is a Furutech which is great news!! All of this has to be said as I paid a crap ton for these buds and it took over 3 months to make them, some more attention and care would’ve been appreciated. Now that the bad is out of the way….onto some impressions, this is about 20 hours of burn in. So take these for what you will.

The first hour or so of listening was pretty disjointed, grainy and kind of all over the place, I could hear potential so I kept listening and they started opening up after around 4 hours. The grain went away and everything came together including the deepest sub bass I’ve ever heard in an earbud. So let’s start with the bass. Deep reaching, layered and clean sub bass and is the focus but enough mid bass to keep things punchy and warm similar to TGXear DS note weight. Everything from EDM, to Jazz, to Rock, to Classical, to Hip Hop excels here. When the bass rumbles it’s entirely impressive as you would think this is an iem or OTE headphone. The middle bass never bleeds into the lower mids and the mid range is neutral and quite wide. Vocals are pushed back a smidge but not too much and male and female vocals alike come across with good weight and definition. The midrange note weight is fairly linear with great transparency. TGX and VE have a better tonality here but it’s a super close call. The upper mids seem slightly elevated with good presence in female vocals. Horns and pianos sound divine. Coming into the lower treble I hear no spikes and upper treble is slightly rolled off still giving some nice sparkle when called for. Overall the sound signature is neutral with a sub bass emphasis and the sound is LARGE! I’ve been baffled at how big the sound is coming from these little flatheads!

Separation and layering is wonderful and accurate and this is portrayed in Tools 10,000 days album with Danny Carey’s insane drumming skills. Imaging is precise, wide and deep. Creating a realistic soundstage left to right, while not stretching unnaturally wide. Depth is the star here! So much depth! Best I’ve heard in any earbud! Vocals are pushed out to the center image and never in the head which makes for a life like stage! Resolution is top notch however burn in was required to reach maximum resolution. TGXear DS may be a touch more resolving. YMMV

CAX is highly dynamic! Macro dynamics are incredibly vivid, sharp and engaging while not coming off fatiguing. Micro dynamics are just as strong but not shoved in your face. All the details are there and done in the most tasteful way. Truly a masterpiece in tuning. Now all Cypherus needs to do is polish up their finishing on the final product and this is truly a flagship level earbud in every way! I bought this for the tuning and great comments on its sound and I am not left disappointed however I am contemplating purchasing a different cable to put on the 🐉 for ergo sake!

I will report back after 100hours and see how much it changes after that…

Source used: Cayin N30LE streaming Qobuz via Hiby music app on High gain, Hyper mode. Class A and A/B both utilized as well as tubes and solid state.

The Black Dragon doesn’t need a lot of power to shine but of course loves the extra juice for the best dynamics! YMMV

Have a wonderful Sunday flathead lovers!
🤙🏼🐉💪🏼

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back