Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 5, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #72,211 of 75,423
My Cayin N30LE

What is your favorite FQL bud?
That is a very nice looking DAP, and has some pretty good numbers. Can you listen via "tube" and "non tube" modes? I have to switch out my amp card to get SS or tube sound with my DX300.

It is pretty tough, and depends on my mood, but overall, I tend to reach for the highly analytical (mixed with a bit of fun sound) Aquila more often. I was very surprised that they would fit me so well, because they don't look a TON different than the MX500 shells, but upon further inspection (and wearing them), the DP100 shells are much different. The asymmetrical stems give them an overall different balance, and the angle of the drop-down for the stems are angled different as well (also contributing to the balance).

Do you have any of this creations, or have you had a chance to listen to any of them?
I hear ya! I was expecting them to look more like @Reebonz picture. His had a much better y split that looked well made and his packaging was more professional than what I received so I’m really unsure why mine arrived looking half baked. Luckily the sound makes up for it and I can change out the cable/y split if really warranted. I felt it was my duty to report on the finishing to be transparent with the community and to keep DIY’ers accountable for what they make and sell. @tgx78 is the superb example of delivering great service, great tunings, great finishing and overall package. Lee from Venture Electronics and @RikudouGoku as well. Top of game as far as giving a great overall experience.
I was going to mention that as well. The best part of using the MX500 shell is that you can easily fix the cable (or change it out altogether) if you want, since they are SO easy to disassemble. :)

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #72,212 of 75,423
Wow good to know! Not cool to receive inferior packaging than others. I appreciate your honesty! It's always good to hear the good, the bad and the ugly in reviews. I saw Reebonz's review and he mentioned he didn't like the stiff and heavy stock cable, so he had sent in the white Effect Audio Leonidas II cable to replace the stock ones. That cable cost as much as the susvara black dragon. :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 6:29 PM Post #72,213 of 75,423
I wish I could be @FranQL 's friend 😂😂
Same here same here rofl. He invited me to discord, to which I guess I annoyed him too much by asking to hear his buds a few times... I am giving up at this point. I tried, I am just not a chosen one. Congrats to those that have been no doubt as it is a super duper tight closed group. No time to make for the many people who want them lol

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #72,214 of 75,423
That is a great question. I guess I would never pay 4 figures for an earbud anyhow. The fixed cable (and seemingly poor quality to boot) and the generic shell make it not worth a quarter of that price for me. Sound is VERY important, but if you are annoyed most of the time because of fitment or dealing with a cable that is not great would detract from the enjoyability of any set of buds, let alone a 4 figure set... With that type of pricing, I would have expected them to be better in EVERY way than any other set out there.

I think that some of the DIYers out there are getting better overall sound than most of the store-bought buds (though not all) but charging over $1K for a set that can be made for about $100 or less is not something that I guess will ever know whether is good or not. I REALLY want to support the DIYers out there, but I just can't when the markup is 1000%. That is just robbery IMHO.

@jwilliamhurst I REALLY am not trying to detract from your new buds, so if you enjoy the heck out of them, then I applaud you for your choice. Thank you for sharing your impressions, and I am glad you like them. So, I will just say:

Congrats on your new shiny! :)
Agree with you here. The DS is crazy priced in my opinion at $600 and the Black Dragon at 2x that and still with MX500 shells? I would never go down that rabbit hole but my funds are not as unlimited as others out there.

Nov 5, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #72,215 of 75,423
Agree with you here. The DS is crazy priced in my opinion at $600 and the Black Dragon at 2x that and still with MX500 shells? I would never go down that rabbit hole but my funds are not as unlimited as others out there.
Nor are mine... haha

I just have too many (other) hobbies as well, and I really can't afford a divorce either...:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nov 5, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #72,217 of 75,423
I hear ya! I was expecting them to look more like @Reebonz picture. His had a much better y split that looked well made and his packaging was more professional than what I received so I’m really unsure why mine arrived looking half baked. Luckily the sound makes up for it and I can change out the cable/y split if really warranted. I felt it was my duty to report on the finishing to be transparent with the community and to keep DIY’ers accountable for what they make and sell. @tgx78 is the superb example of delivering great service, great tunings, great finishing and overall package. Lee from Venture Electronics and @RikudouGoku as well. Top of game as far as giving a great overall experience.
When I first saw that rigid cable, I immediately knew I couldn't tolerate using it. That's why I sent my own cable to him for a replacement. And yeah, the accessories and packaging are pretty basic. Just so you know, the extras you see in my review, they're mine – not from Cypherus Audio.

And those who have the Susvara Black Dragon earbuds, give them a spin without any foam. They were tuned to the Susvara sound without foams on.

Without the foam, you'll still get a full, clean sound with well-balanced bass. As you know, most earbuds without foam tend to sound thin, harsh, and lacking in the bass department.

Now, if you pop the foams back on the Susvara Black Dragon, you'll notice deeper, more rumbling bass, which some may find addictive. However, it comes at the expense of clarity and transparency, making them sound less like the Susvara headphones.

Nov 5, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #72,218 of 75,423
I could probably could use some other hobbies lol.. that's what next year is for eh. And yes, I feel you on the latter, haha
Actually, THIS one is one of the cheaper hobbies of mine... :) This one seems to be MUCH more expensive (well, it CAN be):

2014-09-17.jpg

2014-09-18.jpg

215223_1010026055582_3041_n.jpg

20160610_181239.jpg

20140519_203042_N West St.jpg

Nov 5, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #72,221 of 75,423
When I first saw that rigid cable, I immediately knew I couldn't tolerate using it. That's why I sent my own cable to him for a replacement. And yeah, the accessories and packaging are pretty basic. Just so you know, the extras you see in my review, they're mine – not from Cypherus Audio.

And those who have the Susvara Black Dragon earbuds, give them a spin without any foam. They were tuned to the Susvara sound without foams on.

Without the foam, you'll still get a full, clean sound with well-balanced bass. As you know, most earbuds without foam tend to sound thin, harsh, and lacking in the bass department.

Now, if you pop the foams back on the Susvara Black Dragon, you'll notice deeper, more rumbling bass, which some may find addictive. However, it comes at the expense of clarity and transparency, making them sound less like the Susvara headphones.
Ah yes, I remember you saying this in your review..I haven’t used them without foams yet as I love that rumbling bass 🤤
Can you listen via "tube" and "non tube" modes?
Yes, I can switch back and forth with a tap on the screen.
Aquila more often
Nice!
Do you have any of this creations, or have you had a chance to listen to any of them?
I haven’t. Im intrigued by the BlueMoon…

Nov 5, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #72,222 of 75,423
Im intrigued by the BlueMoon…
I am awaiting my set from him until he is not so busy. I don't want to inconvenience him... But I do hope to have a set pretty soon. From what I am hearing about them, they are beyond anything else he has done to this point. :)

Nov 5, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #72,224 of 75,423
Great review! He does have another cable you can choose but it’s not Teflon coated which he says is where the speed comes from.
Thanks so much! They are extremely fast drivers. I’m not sure what magic 🪄 is in these but they sound like no other buds I’ve ever heard. Very full and complete sound.

Nov 5, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #72,225 of 75,423
In an earlier post I was on the fence on whether to jump on the Smabat M5 Pro Golden or not. My curiosity got the best of me and I bought them just before their crowdfunding period ended.

Here's a picture of the box. Smabat going radical with their packaging... The package graphics had me thinking they really upped the ante in the tuning of the M5 Pro Golden.
M5 Pro box.jpg

Open the box for a view of the cover insert.
M5 Pro insert.jpg

Very nice faux leather felt lined case. 3 sets of full foams and the M5 Pro buds.
M5 Pro contents 01.jpg

Braided cable terminated with 3.5mm SE plug and MMCX was inside the case.
M5 Pro contents 02.jpg

Left - ST10S B&G 150Ω / Right - M5 Pro 150Ω. The ST10S is meant to wear over ear style and comes with a hook cable. The M5 pro is also meant to be worn over ear as well, but comes with a straight braided cable. I guess you can wear the M5 pro hanging down, but with them hanging down they don't sound right to my ears.
M5 Pro - ST10S 02.jpg

Note the orientation of the labeling. I thinks it's pretty clear Smabat designed the M5 pro to wear over ear style just like the ST10S.
M5 Pro - ST10S 01.jpg

I do like the M5 pro cable, but the braided cable is too thick and a bit uncomfortable for wearing over ear style. So I swapped it out with an over ear hook TRN cable. The TRN cable also has interchangeable 2.5mm Bal., 3.5mm SE, and 4.4mm Bal. plug ends. The 4.4mm Balanced plug is shown below, but for my listening comparisons between the ST10S and M5 Pro I used the 3.5mm SE plug since the ST10S cable is 3.5mm SE terminated.
M5 Pro - TRN cable.jpg

First listening comparison was ST10S (fixed 150Ω driver) vs M5 Pro with M4-ST10S 150Ω add-on driver. Let me put it like this, in a blind test you might not be able to tell which set you were listening to. Having said that, there definitely is a difference in sound between the sets. Both have excellent bass extension and are "U" shaped in tuning. The main difference is the upper mids / treble. The ST10S has that 2k / 3k hump which sometimes results in some piercing high end. From what I'm hearing the M5 Pro body is tuned to control that 2k / 3k hump resulting in a much better and enjoyable upper mids / treble region.

Second listening comparison was ST10S (fixed 150Ω driver) vs M5 Pro Golden 150Ω driver. Even though both drivers are 150Ω, they are not the same. Well if they are the same drivers, they are tuned differently. It's like a night and day difference in how the ST10S and M5 Pro Golden sound. While the ST10S is classic "U" shaped tuning, the M5 Pro Golden has a very balanced tuning. While they do have good bass extension, the midrange and treble are tuned to bring out details without being harsh. Overall nice soundstage and instrument / vocals separation, but not over the top. The M5 Pro Golden are very easy to listen to for hours.

I think Smabat learned their lesson with the missteps of the M4 and rolled out a set of buds that are finally worth getting in the M5 Pro Golden.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back