Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 1, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #71,056 of 75,618
That difference in volume level on SE and balanced (higher power) outputs is quite accurate. Let me ask though, were these Serratus earbuds a nice match with hip-dac (yours was blue 1st gen or later?), or not really? I'm curious about this because not many people use 300 ohm products with our portable stuff, so any insight is highly appreciated :)
First gen hipdac. The balanced output makes a big difference, if I use the adapter and the single ended output I have to increase the volume to at least 50%. To my ears the hipdac drives these very well, although I don't have any other amps to compare to. I'm sure it would scale nicely with a better amp. For what it's worth the iphone dongle can drive these pretty well at 75% volume imo. I don't have a way to volume match so I can't say for sure if the hipdac has an edge over it, but I would assume it does especially with balanced out.

Aug 1, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #71,057 of 75,618
That difference in volume level on SE and balanced (higher power) outputs is quite accurate. Let me ask though, were these Serratus earbuds a nice match with hip-dac (yours was blue 1st gen or later?), or not really? I'm curious about this because not many people use 300 ohm products with our portable stuff, so any insight is highly appreciated :)
Just noticed who I was replying too, I need to pay better attention haha. Hope my input was helpful. Love your products btw, I'm looking to upgrade to the zen dac v2 soon. Do you think that would be a better match for the Serratus? If there's another product you think would be better let me know (or maybe can lend one to compare? :xf_wink:).

Aug 1, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #71,058 of 75,618
Well this just happened. Guess I'm jumping in head first haha.

Initial impressions: very balanced, good clarity. Nice and airy. Good bass, not overpowering but not anemic. Instruments sounds amazing. I prefer the lighter plastic housing compared to the metal ones from ff3. Cable is really nice, as is the jack (not too bulky). I prefer 3.5mm jacks on my portable headphones but I got these second hand so they were equipped with the 4.4mm. I use a 4.4mm to 3.5mm adapter with the iphone dongle which powers them just fine at around 60% volume. I did try them with the ifi hipdac balanced output and didn't notice a dramatic difference, although I had to keep the volume turned down to <20%. I haven't messed around with the foam tips much, just the ones pictured and then naked which I might prefer. Didn't like the ff3 naked, cold metal in ear is no fun. Hoping to these will keep me satisfied for a bit but you know how it is, gotta see what else is out there :ksc75smile:
Congrats on your new shiny! :)
There might be those here that use an iFi product with some 600 Ohm buds also...

Aug 2, 2023 at 9:19 PM Post #71,062 of 75,618
Willsound mk32 beast 😁
20230802_181848.JPG

Aug 3, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #71,063 of 75,618
I've finally ordered the yinman 600ohm , also got puresounds ps100-600s
Congrats on your new (incoming) shiny(s)! :)

You will have to let us know your impressions when you have had a chance to listen to them for a time?! :)

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #71,064 of 75,618
short update: Ucotech Brillante ES2203 arrieved about 1hr ago. listening to testtracks atm and i am starting to get impressed. timbre, tuning, separation and imaging are quite good to say the least. Did not expect that kind of powerful sound to be honest. Reminds me more of an iem than earbuds. Their inhouse drivers could be something special, but might just be brand new toy syndrome tho. sure have to listen to them a couple of days and compare to others before i will settle my opinion. will go into detail than. Feel free to ask anything, if i can help with this set.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #71,065 of 75,618
The issue is that these mentioned TWS earphones by @sofastreamer are semi-sealing/semi-isolating with in-canal directed ports/covers and are actually a distinct group known as semi in-ears and also a member of the same personal earphone family as flatheads (earbuds); in-ear monitors (IEMs); ear hooks; and monaural side earplugs. I blame lazy marketing and poor translation by the brands making these for the hiccup in labelling them wrongly as TWS Earbuds and confusing the hell out of everyone.

At the end of the day, whether they be TWS or Fixed Cabling, Semi In-Ears are not Earbuds, nor are they IEMs. They are earphones specifically known as Semi In-Ears.
did you ever have them on hand? They are sealing only if you stuff them completly into your ear canal. they are as comfortable as usual earbuds, they dont seal and they play music. couldnt care less, what you call them. to me they do exactly the same job. each to his own i guess...

Aug 3, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #71,068 of 75,618
I’m still loving my red RY4S 32ohm originals.
They sound great especially for movies and shows. I have all kinds of expensive buds but I keep coming back to them. Great soundstage, deep low end and articulate mids and highs.
And they’re consistent! I have 2 or 3 in rotation and a couple in the box. I also have the 300ohm and mmcx versions but they don’t sound the same.
Original RY4S forever!!

Aug 4, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #71,070 of 75,618
Looks like I’m the next person to go on a shopping spree.

One pair of secondhand FiiO FF5 that the owner claimed was used for less than a week, and tossed only the two bud covers they wore, all for 1/3 off of the Ali MSRP, or 1/2 off of my local MSRP,

One pair of Gen 1 buds from @RikudouGoku, currently somewhere in the middle of transit,

And a handful of QKZ AK6 IEMs (not relevant to this thread, admittedly).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back