Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 30, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #71,026 of 75,875
Great to see your list! What a line up. To see you rank Aquila highly gives me a good marker of what you value in sound. I still need to hear the RW2000 and the FiiOs.

Also, those little plastic cases with what looks like a magnetised shutter, where did you them?
Thank you very much! :)

As for the Aquila and what I value in sound, it can be tricky because a lot of these on the list can be polar opposites from one another because, with the right type of music, the Chaconne are still on top of this list (for instance). The Caelum and the Aquila (as another example) aren't really even similar in their presentation. This list is so close because it really depends on which I tend to pick up more often. @Ronion once put it perfectly; "My favorite is the ones that are currently in my ears".

Those plastic cases are leftover from a job I used to work. I do HVAC temperature controls programming. These cases came from a company called Aircuity, which would hand out memory sticks that had their software installed on them to each customer. For those that were given to me, I kept the cases for just something similar. I find them to be perfect for something like earbuds. I only wish I could get more of them. Maybe I will try and search the internet for them (something I actually had not considered before).

Jul 30, 2023 at 5:46 PM Post #71,027 of 75,875
This list is so close because it really depends on which I tend to pick up more often. @Ronion once put it perfectly; "My favorite is the ones that are currently in my ears".

I think this is very true. There are always different things to value out there. That's what makes this hobby so wonderful.

Jul 30, 2023 at 6:32 PM Post #71,028 of 75,875
Those plastic cases are leftover from a job I used to work. I do HVAC temperature controls programming. These cases came from a company called Aircuity, which would hand out memory sticks that had their software installed on them to each customer. For those that were given to me, I kept the cases for just something similar. I find them to be perfect for something like earbuds. I only wish I could get more of them. Maybe I will try and search the internet for them (something I actually had not considered before).

Search "usb stick gift case".

Jul 30, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #71,029 of 75,875
You are very welcome! :)

Well, most of us here have been ordering them through this link, but our own @WoodyLuvr has brought it to our attention that this is NOT the original maker's site, and there HAS been some small few QC issues. Apparently if you order them with any sort of balanced connection (the stock connection is 3.5mm SE) he recables them. Having said that, I had NO issues with this site (nor the recable to 2.5mm balanced), and most also don't have issues either, so YMMV.

If you want to order from the actual maker, you will need to visit the official site on Taobao (though I don't use the site, so I don't have a link for you). The story can be seen here. Maybe @WoodyLuvr would be so kind as to share a link with the official site, as I am unable to find it doing any sort of search on Taobao's site.

Longyao (Dragon Ballad) Yinman 龙谣音曼 ( 龍謠音曼 )

There are two (2) store fronts; same shop though... Shop # 35555237

Longyao-Yinman 龍謠音曼 Taobao Store Front 1

Longyao-Yinman 龙谣音曼 Taobao Store Front 2

More information here for AliExpress Store Links.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 12:39 AM Post #71,030 of 75,875
Keep in mind that all of my buds are of the "store bought" nature, except the ones crafted by my Hermano from another mother across the world :) but if I were to put my buds on a list of top ten for sound only, this might be what it would look like (if this list were to be an amalgamation of sound combined with fitment, comfort, etc... it might look a whole lot different):

1. FQL Aquila
    On the left.
  2. FQL Caelum
    See picture for number 1; the set on the right.
  3. Longyao Yinman 2.0 600
  4. Yincrow RW2000
  5. Moondrop Chaconne
  6. FQL Grand Finale
  7. Yincrow RW3000
  8. FiiO FF5
  9. FQL Blackhole Redux
  10. FiiO FF3
Honorable mention to the Rose Technics Maria II.
It didn't make the list only because these are so very niche (more so than the Chaconne) that it is rare that I get to use these. But what they excel at, there is nothing better (that I know of).

Edit: Edited for spelling of brand-names.
Awesome post! Humble @FranQL will blush to see yet another ranking list with his creations upon it! He doesn't quite realize how well he builds and tunes. Some people simply have that unexplainable "magic touch," which no manner or level of science can match or achieve.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 4:49 AM Post #71,031 of 75,875
Naughty you trying to slyly slip in an in-ear earphone unnoticed (e.g. Urbanista Lisbon and Soundpeats Air3 Deluxe HS). You think we wouldn't catch that?! LOL!

You barely tipped your toes into the water there with that selection... there are a LOT of earbuds out there to sample. Some of the ones on Ian's list will REALLY surprise you!

The Yincrow 音可若瓦 RW-3000 Heavenly Cow 天牛 is indeed a great earbud (I think rather highly of it and strongly recommend it) but it doesn't come close to making my Top Ten.
honestly, while the urbanista and soundpeats are tws, they still are earbuds, open, same driver, same position in ears etc. in ears do need to seal and use rubber tipps. these dont!

Jul 31, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #71,032 of 75,875
Here's a review of the Ucotech Brillante ES2203. It would appear you like bass in your earbuds, you might enjoy the buds, but miss any bass rumble.

by [deleted]

Meet my new buds: Ucotech ES2203 Brilliante

tl;dr: fun balance neutral sub-bass shy earbuds with detachable 2-pin connectors, good for genres not requiring rumbling bass

Specs:
  • Housing Material : Sand blasted and anodized Aluminium
  • Driver Units : Φ14.8mm UCOTECH's Dynamic
  • Impedance : 16Ω±15%
  • Sensitivity : 120dB/mW
  • Frequency Response : 20 ~ 20KHz
  • Cable Termination : 2PIN detachable and 3.5mm
  • Cable Info : 1.2m OCC 6N 4core Litz Silver-plated Y type
  • Accessories: Case and Foam pads (3 donuts and 1 full)
  • Retail Price: KRW189,000 (around $135)
  • Testing Source: LG V50 ThinQ (Native Music Player, Hiby Music Player), Sony NWZ-A15
  • Amplification: Fiio E11
  • Album: Dr. Chesky's The Ultimate Headphone Demonstration, The Postal Service's Give Up, Stromae's Multitude (all lossless 24-bit 44K and up)
I bought these on a whim because of the detachable connectors. As you can see from the pictures, the content of the box is very minimal. I think bulk of the price went into the box and packaging. They could have just stuffed everything in the case and package it that way to lower the price. Build quality wise is sturdy. The edge has rubber coverings. Judging from the foam offerings, ucotech is probably suggesting or assuming people to wear them sans the full coverings. I tried, but the treble was too much. The full foam made the sound more balanced. In comparison to my other buds, these are a tad smaller, so they are slightly loose (especially on the left ear), so I wear them with earguides. They sound even better when worn under beanies since they are pressed against the ears. The cable is not microphonic, and feels premium. The connectors to the buds have clear L and R markings.

Ah yes, about the albums used for testing... Dr. Chesky's one is good to test just about most aspects I want to know about the sound and soundstage. The tracks cover instruments, vocals, imaging, sub-bass tone sweeping and soundstage. The last two are just to see how satisfactory the bass sound is.

Just like any other earbuds, if you are looking for bassy cans, these are not them. However, what you get are great reproduction of instruments sounds and good tonality. The mid-bass is fast and punchy. Mids and trebles are balance with no one taking a center stage. The instruments' sounds reproduction are accurate, and imaging and separation is good as well. The soundstage is like wearing a helmet. All in all these are fun to listen to albeit a bit pricey.

One observation that I gathered from listening on my mobile is that despite the 16Ohm impedance and high sensitivity, these cans like some power. For quiet listening it takes 50% volume, but at even 100% is not so ear-deafening loud. Will have to try them using my ye ole trusted Fiio E11.... ok, tried it. With low power HP, low gain, and 0 EQ settings, the sound seems to open up and feel more dynamic. The mid-bass has more slam to it, and anything under 50Hz is still weak. The soundstage seems to be a bit wider. Unconvinced of my perceived improvements of the sound/tonality, I played the albums through NWZ-A15 by itself and with E11. Well... I am now convinced that my LG mobile's tonality is somewhat veiled. I noticed this when testing Fiio FD3. I just thought that the output powers were different, but I now believe the dsp of the two are making the difference. I don't use EQ on both and all the fancy dsps on both were turned off. The pairing that works with each is just different. Anyhow, with NWZ-A15, the veil was lifted and sounded a tad bright, and E11 does its amplification job just the way it is, i.e. amplify. By pairing E11 with V50, it actually improved the sound output. And, yes, these buds can take some amplification despite the impedance and sensitivity.

That's it for this subjective review . Thank you for reading, and please return your audio related enjoyment. Cheers!
thank you, have seen
that one on reddit

Jul 31, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #71,033 of 75,875
honestly, while the urbanista and soundpeats are tws, they still are earbuds, open, same driver, same position in ears etc. in ears do need to seal and use rubber tipps. these dont!
1690793951718.png

Jul 31, 2023 at 5:04 AM Post #71,034 of 75,875
I don't know what it's worth, but I do have a stance on this.

If it sits in the ear and it's open, it's an earbud. If it seals, it's not an earbud.

Jul 31, 2023 at 5:20 AM Post #71,035 of 75,875
I don't know what it's worth, but I do have a stance on this.

If it sits in the ear and it's open, it's an earbud. If it seals, it's not an earbud.
The issue is that these mentioned TWS earphones by @sofastreamer are semi-sealing/semi-isolating with in-canal directed ports/covers and are actually a distinct group known as semi in-ears and also a member of the same personal earphone family as flatheads (earbuds); in-ear monitors (IEMs); ear hooks; and monaural side earplugs. I blame lazy marketing and poor translation by the brands making these for the hiccup in labelling them wrongly as TWS Earbuds and confusing the hell out of everyone.

At the end of the day, whether they be TWS or Fixed Cabling, Semi In-Ears are not Earbuds, nor are they IEMs. They are earphones specifically known as Semi In-Ears.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #71,036 of 75,875
The issue is that these mentioned TWS earphones by @sofastreamer are semi-sealing/semi-isolating with in-canal directed ports/covers and are actually a distinct group known as semi in-ears and also a member of the same personal earphone family as flatheads (earbuds); in-ear monitors (IEMs); ear hooks; and monaural side earplugs. I blame lazy marketing and poor translation by the brands making these for the hiccup in labelling them wrongly as TWS Earbuds and confusing the hell out of everyone.

At the end of the day, whether they be TWS or Fixed Cabling, Semi In-Ears are not Earbuds, nor are they IEMs. They are earphones specifically known as Semi In-Ears.
I'm sure the topic has already been beaten to death multiple times in this forum :)
Thanks for the explanation.

Jul 31, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #71,037 of 75,875

Are there other wired semi in-ear makers besides Apple?

Jul 31, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #71,038 of 75,875
Are there other wired semi in-ear makers besides Apple?
Yes, there are quite a number of low-tier models with fixed cabling made by dozens of Chinese and Taiwanese companies.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #71,039 of 75,875
Keep in mind that all of my buds are of the "store bought" nature, except the ones crafted by my Hermano from another mother across the world :) but if I were to put my buds on a list of top ten for sound only, this might be what it would look like (if this list were to be an amalgamation of sound combined with fitment, comfort, etc... it might look a whole lot different):

1. FQL Aquila
    On the left.20230505_125707.jpg
  2. FQL Caelum
    See picture for number 1; the set on the right.
  3. Longyao Yinman 2.0 600
    20220707_231002.jpg
  4. Yincrow RW2000
    20210818_195324.jpg
  5. Moondrop Chaconne
    20220930_152040.jpg
  6. FQL Grand Finale
    20220901_090427.jpg
  7. Yincrow RW3000
    20220715_201958.jpg
  8. FiiO FF5
    20230730_162851.jpg
  9. FQL Blackhole Redux
    20220822_091356.jpg
  10. FiiO FF3
    20220820_103447.jpg
Honorable mention to the Rose Technics Maria II.
20210811_152731.jpg
It didn't make the list only because these are so very niche (more so than the Chaconne) that it is rare that I get to use these. But what they excel at, there is nothing better (that I know of).

Edit: Edited for spelling of brand-names.
I'm glad that your almost $20 earbuds are at the top of the list.
@FranQL good job hermano 😉🍻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back