Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 19, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #70,846 of 75,573
OK...is the bluebell a neutral earbud like the LBBS? Can you suggest an alternative to the LBBS? I have also tried and liked the yuin pk2.
Yes, very similar in sound signature to the LBBs so a primary signature that is close to neutral with a slightly more leaning to dark/warm than the LBBs.

Jul 19, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #70,848 of 75,573
I got my Yincrow X6 today. Here are some very subjective first impressions after about half an hour of listening.

Fit: These fit my ears much better out of the box than the last pair of earbuds I had a decade ago: the Apple earbuds. The Apple buds never stayed in my ears unless I was sitting still, and only the wireless AirPods actually stayed, and that too despite me running in them. That said, I did notice a difference in fit between my own ears. The right one shifted a little bit when I walked while the left one remained fixed.

One thing for sure is that I’m tossing my TRN CS3 IEMs and replacing those with the X6. The CS3 was my preferred pair for portable gaming, but it never isolated well, and more importantly, the way the cable is wired perpendicularly to the buds scratched my ears all the time whenever I wore them. So I stopped wearing those altogether - why wear something that keeps annoying you?

Sound: I’m also coming from a decade of wearing IEMs, and that too highly isolating pairs. So it goes without saying that wearing the X6 in public is a less-than-ideal experience, but situational awareness is key when you’re a pedestrian. That said, when I was in quiet places, the experience was definitely better.

I’m not a bass-head by default so the overall sound signature was to my liking. The X6 does sound a lot like the Etymotic ER4XR in terms of levels of bass, mids and treble, but I cannot comment about detail retrieval or the finer points as of yet. And the open nature of the X6 does give the sense of airiness and a wide soundstage (key word: sense).

I still need to mess around with the silicone rings that came with the X6. I’m hoping those can help with better fit for my ears. And if those do indeed help, then I am keeping the FiiO FF5 on my shopping list. I still need a pair of open earbuds to wear at home, and MMCX means I can make them more versatile with custom-length cables or the UTWS5.

In short, I’m not converting to earbuds full time because I still prioritize isolation for most use cases. HOWEVER, I’m definitely convinced that open earbuds definitely have a spot in my rotation.

Jul 19, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #70,849 of 75,573
Do you know why we love earbuds?

Many years ago we liked them because, in addition to comfort and sound, they used to have a very low price. This boy, whom I don't know, and others on the DIY Earbuds thread, including me, have shown us that it is still possible
Yes, but now each of us owns about 100 models, 100 * 28 = 2800$ not cheap :deadhorse:

Jul 19, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #70,851 of 75,573
A Bud to test new ideas for 130 Ohm Bery

20230719_175825.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #70,852 of 75,573
I got my hands on the grubby lil bits that are the Pizen **** PT25, here's my thoughts

Pros
Comfortable
Built well for the cost
MMCX for those who like MMCX

Cons
These sound like a sick day: nasally, congested, flubbery
**** seems to have a bit of a sus reputation, known to de-list and relist items on AliExpress.
MMCX for those who don’t like MMCX

Have you ever wanted to try something new, knowing that you’d regret it, especially since everyone else had told you that the very dumb thing you were about to do was a bad idea? Second question: have you ever wanted to experience what the common cold is like in an earbud?

Enter: the Pizen **** PT25, an Earpod-style audio product with detachable MMCX cable.
PXL_20230719_185241851.jpg

The PT25 MSRP’s for $50 USD, but can (and usually will) be on sale around the $30 point for the head pieces alone. Adding a cable can add $10 for a microphone cable and $12 for a cable without microphone. I opted to go without the cable since I’m using the cable from my BGVP DX6.

Disclaimer: I did purchase this with my own money. I have no relation with Pizen/****. Nobody is paying to have me say what I am saying (at least I would hope not, what a waste of money). All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Listening was done on the iFi xDSD Gryphon, connected to my Pixel 6a via LDAC playing songs from qobuz when available and spotify when not on qobuz.

Specs
1dd earpod-style bud with neodymium magnets
Impedance: 32ohm
Sensitivity: 102db
MMCX detachable connector

PXL_20230719_185434798.jpg

Package comes with: the PT25 earbuds, and two sets of silicone covers: one with wings to fit within the triangular fossa of the outer ear, and one without which simply covers the bud.
If you opt for the versions with cables, you get a cable too. Neat!

build/comfort
-The shells of the PT25 are made mainly of plastic with some sort of grill covering the primary sound port and the side vent. The chrome finish on the back is quite reflective but not a fingerprint magnet to my testing, surprisingly.
-They do feel at least decently sturdy, I could chuck these at my annoying neighbor and feel like they could survive the fall. The PT25 fits my ear very well, but getting the right angle to fit in my ear feels a bit more difficult than it should. The winged silicones help to keep the buds in place, but the pressure thats put on my concha from the wing is not good, so I opted for thr regular silicone covers.
-The MMCX connector is surprisingly good, I like the snap that comes with plugging in the connectors when changing out buds.

Sound

Bass
- I feel like I’m getting hit with some overdone lasagna noodles. Bass on the PT25 is wet, flubbery, and heavy. If you’re looking for quantity over quality, you would find it here. But the sacrifice to the amount of quality you lose going with this is too much for any reasonable person. Granted, I REALLY like my bass, but this is not right.
- Listening to “I Heard You’re Married” by The Weeknd, the bass guitar line has little to no real definition outside of the volume it exists with. Les Claypool’s playing in “Bob” by Primus continues this trend, way too thick for what I know is being played.

Mids
- Timbre is not horrible on some instruments. Listening to guitar in Tool’s “Sober,” things sound roughly as they should during the verses and chorus, if a little thicker than real.
Going to something like trumpets like those displayed in Hiroaki Tommy Tominaga’s “Sono Chino Sadame,” you start to dive into where the PT25 goes wrong: everything sounds nasally and gross. The PT25 needs a tissue. Male vocals here, when they’re made the focus, are too far forward and overwhelm the mix.
- Female vocals share this same fate: Kali Uchis in “After The Storm” sounds like she’s holding her nose to sing. Gross squidward vibes

Treble
- Dark. If there is upper treble on the PT25, there’s not a whole lot of it. Cymbals on Sono Chino Sadame last nowhere near as long as they should, and are a bit back in the mix. The PT25 will give you the minimum amount of treble. That’s it.

Imaging/soundstage
- Narrow. Yosi Horikawa’s “Crossing” sounds primarily in my head outside of the very first motorcycle, which can sound really far away on a brick. A shame, knowing how far out things can seem on this song
- Imaging is solid, which I am quite impressed with. Not the best but it gets the job done. Tool’s “Right in Two” has really solid placement for its drums, a pleasant treat among all the dung from the rest of the PT25.

Detail Retrieval
- Imagine if someone were to put a nut milk bag over your head. Everything feels grainy, fuzzy, blurry. Clarity is not important to the pt25. There are blatant details that go missed with these on some busy tracks. Really only has surface level details. Slayer’s “War Ensemble,” with its really speedy palm muted guitars, sounds like hazy mush.
- There are songs that are surprisingly competent on the PT25. Going back to Kali Uchis’ “After The Storm,” there is a drum playing in the left ear that has some surprisingly good capacity, and echo on that drum is not bad. That being said, bass quality remains muddy and gross

I guess it would be important to compare the PT25 to what it is trying to be: a set of Apple Earpods. Jamming the Earpos into my Gryphon to compare, bass gets significantly more well rounded, the nasally qualities are gone, and while treble is still dark it is no longer the minimum amount of treble. Imaging and soundstage remain roughly the same, which might be per the form factor. What a step up for a significantly cheaper product.

Overall, the PT25 states to be some level of high fidelity, with a very long run-on explanation in the description of the product (shortened link to the aliexpress page: https://rb.gy/fc8d0). The explanation states many things, but what it states the Pt25 isn’t, really is what it is: stuffy and dull. I was hoping to have a different type of experience with the same form factor as the Earpods, but was left unsurprisingly disappointed. I cannot believe these are worth $30 bucks. I need a lot of nyquil to get over this sick little bud.

Jul 19, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #70,854 of 75,573
Chifi is a gamble.

The $90 Smabat ST-10 is not better than a €15 EMX500-s or even a $5 Vido. If you don't have a perfect fit, it won't be good, ever.

I learned the hard way too.
I have Smabat ST-10s Gold (150 Ohm version) and technically they are comparable to TOTL earbuds, the only fly in the ointment is spike in the treble, which can be tamed down to somewhat acceptable level with "bass" version of FiiO foam tips.
Reviews are quite positive as well.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/smabat-st-10s.24278/reviews
https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2020/11/smabat-st-10s-gold-ear-buds-review.html

"Perfect fit", does such thing even exist for earbuds, they are not iems? How they cannot fit?

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 9:26 PM Post #70,855 of 75,573
I have Smabat ST-10s Gold (150 Ohm version) and technically they are comparable to TOTL earbuds, the only fly in the ointment is spike in the treble, which can be tamed down to somewhat acceptable level with "bass" version of FiiO foam tips.
Reviews are quite positive as well.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/smabat-st-10s.24278/reviews
https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2020/11/smabat-st-10s-gold-ear-buds-review.html

"Perfect fit", does such thing even exist for earbuds, they are not iems? How they cannot fit?

Fit is subjective for earbuds as each of us have different ear anatomy.

Earbuds come in various shapes and sizes, and here's a very informative thread by master @WoodyLuvr https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-3418#post-16078122 on the various shapes.

So for some earbuds that are too small in girth, they may not sit well in bigger ears and are positioned too far away and you might lose bass. The earbud sounds shrill as a result. Even little shifts in the bud position by a few mm will skew the frequency response that is perceived - I note this on my measuring rigs with earbuds. This is one of the reasons why earbud graphs are not utilized extensively for inter-measurement comparisons, compared to IEM graphs where a standardized seal/insertion depth is easier to obtain.

Jul 19, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #70,856 of 75,573
I have a technical question for the experts here. I recently received a bud with one side of the cable longer than the other (as in, past the splitter, the left channel cable is slightly longer, by maybe 1cm, than the right channel cable). I have the option of sending it back to have it recabled, but I love how it sounds and don’t really want to go through the hassle of sending it back if there’s no technical reason for doing so. This is probably a dumb question, but could a difference in cable length between the two sides of the cable impede performance in any way? The difference bugs me, but if it’s just an aesthetic issue, I’ll deal with it…

Jul 19, 2023 at 9:45 PM Post #70,857 of 75,573
I have a technical question for the experts here. I recently received a bud with one side of the cable longer than the other (as in, past the splitter, the left channel cable is slightly longer, by maybe 1cm, than the right channel cable). I have the option of sending it back to have it recabled, but I love how it sounds and don’t really want to go through the hassle of sending it back if there’s no technical reason for doing so. This is probably a dumb question, but could a difference in cable length between the two sides of the cable impede performance in any way? The difference bugs me, but if it’s just an aesthetic issue, I’ll deal with it…

Unless the cable has super bad resistance values, a 1 cm extension is unlikely to have any audible differences. There are a few IEMs I have encountered that has one cable longer than the other (or even with a mic on one side of the cable), and I didn't find any issues.

If you really want to be pedantic about it, I think some folks here have bought cheap rigs to measure resistances of the cable. A less objective way is to perhaps compare frequency response from 20Hz - 20Khz on this link to check if there is imbalance on any side:

Jul 19, 2023 at 11:14 PM Post #70,858 of 75,573
What brand and model? Mic? It may be a J-Cable configuration which was done on purpose for single-ear usage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back