Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 22, 2023 at 5:57 AM Post #70,876 of 75,869
I sent a message to the seller asking about cost and shipping to California. He responded: "The standard termination of 3.5mm and 2.5mm is $136, 4.4mm AEC is $140. Post shipping cost $12" This sounds very reasonable. Can you say a little more about imaging, soundstage, detail, and resolution? Any treble peaks?
Soundstage is quite grand. Detail and resolution are very good, and notes do not sound thin - rather well bodied. For reference - Legend has more detail and resolution but sounds a bit thin and shouty in the midrange. Imaging is top notch. No treble peaks, and yet the treble has very good sparkles and extension. The best-balanced buds of my collection under $200. Quite nicely spacious sound. Worth every penny of $152, at least to my ears.

Jul 22, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #70,877 of 75,869
Okay. Muse 4.4mm AEC $86, post shipping $12 and paypal charges $6. Total $104

He said this one was better for jazz, which is the genre I listen to most.
I am waiting if he will release the next version of Unicorn and Pegasus, otherwise I am thinking of getting the Muse as well. Currently the Muse sounds better than any version of Pegasus or Unicorn he is trying to make.

Jul 22, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #70,878 of 75,869
Soundstage is quite grand. Detail and resolution are very good, and notes do not sound thin - rather well bodied. For reference - Legend has more detail and resolution but sounds a bit thin and shouty in the midrange. Imaging is top notch. No treble peaks, and yet the treble has very good sparkles and extension. The best-balanced buds of my collection under $200. Quite nicely spacious sound. Worth every penny of $152, at least to my ears.
Thanks for the detailed response!

Jul 22, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #70,879 of 75,869
Some highlights on these buds:

Grand Rider 2 - Most powerful and voluminous bass with prominent textures
Neptune - Most full, well textured, and forward mids
Legend - Most spacious sound, biggest stage, and most forward treble
Kharon 2.2 - Best Balance among all three frequencies, note weight, and soundstage expanse
Gold Story - Well, cannot really be compared to the above ones as they are in a different league...but it has all over a very fun well-rounded sound that is easy to like. Strikes a fine balance between musicality and technicality, leaning slightly towards musicality.

Regarding bass power, this is how they rank:
Grand Rider 2 > Gold Story > Neptune = Legend > Kharon 2.2

Regarding Mid and Treble I will update later here, with edits.
Gold Story is in a different league... how exactly?

Jul 22, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #70,880 of 75,869
Gold Story is in a different league... how exactly?
You misinterpreted it. The others are in a different league conpared to Gold Story. They either sound bigger or excel at some particular aspect compared to Gold Story.

Jul 22, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #70,881 of 75,869
🤩 My VE APWS is finally out for delivery!
Zen SL will be here Tuesday and TGX Ear Sunniva arrives on Monday! 🤩

Jul 22, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #70,883 of 75,869
🤩 My VE APWS is finally out for delivery!
Zen SL will be here Tuesday and TGX Ear Sunniva arrives on Monday! 🤩
WOW! Congrats on your (many) new shiny(s)! :)

Do let us know what you think of them when you have had a good listen?!

Jul 22, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #70,884 of 75,869
You misinterpreted it. The others are in a different league conpared to Gold Story. They either sound bigger or excel at some particular aspect compared to Gold Story.
OK, thanks for the clarification! That's what I thought you were saying but I wanted to be sure.

Jul 22, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #70,885 of 75,869
Damn does this song sound good in some really good earbuds:

Deep Purple - Love Child

And this one doesn't sound nearly as good, but for those without Amazon Music:

David Coverdale is really on top of his game on this one. :)

Jul 23, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #70,886 of 75,869
I'm getting an itch for new buds. Actually I'm still in love with my rw-3000s, but sometimes I want something a bit warmer.

What I like best about the rw-3000s is the detail and texture in the low end, and the separation and imaging in the soundstage. With that said, can someone recommend something similar but warmer?

Price wise, similar range to rw-3000 would be fine, so up to $300 or so. I think any kind of shell would be okay, so long as it's not weird like fiio em5. Those don't fit too well.

Jul 23, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #70,887 of 75,869
I'm getting an itch for new buds. Actually I'm still in love with my rw-3000s, but sometimes I want something a bit warmer.

What I like best about the rw-3000s is the detail and texture in the low end, and the separation and imaging in the soundstage. With that said, can someone recommend something similar but warmer?

Price wise, similar range to rw-3000 would be fine, so up to $300 or so. I think any kind of shell would be okay, so long as it's not weird like fiio em5. Those don't fit too well.
Try replacing the rw-3000's silver plated stock cable with a good (like 5n) OCC or OFC MMCX cable.
I use rw-3000 sounding warmer this way.

If you need a new warmer TOTL earbud I would recommend the Shozy BK balanced version or the Shozy BK SE.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #70,888 of 75,869
I spent the better part of an hour listening to a FiiO FF5 at my favorite headphone shop.

In my ears, the FF5 with a foam cover sounded very much like my Yincrow X6 without a foam cover. Mostly flat with maybe a pinch of bass. Again, a lot similar to Etymotics, and again, no comment about specifics like technicalities or whatnot.

As for fit, the FF5 with foam covers fit my ears perfectly. Sturdy and not prone to falling out when I walked. Without foams, however, they wouldn’t stay at all. In comparison, the X6 without foams generally fit my ears, but the right side was a little loose. The foam covers enhanced the fit, but added bass to the sound, making it darker than what I usually like.

Definitely liked these pairs. I’ll keep them on my Christmas list.

Jul 23, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #70,889 of 75,869

@ian91 have you heard the RW-3000s?

@fooltoque, what sort of music do you listen to? 300 USD is a healthy budget, and I'm tempted to rec something like TGXEar Sunniva (used; I think @itwasluck is selling his) or the upcoming Serratus V2. In any case, I think you should send TGXEar a message (on here as @tgx78, or on Instagram as @tgxear).

Jul 23, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #70,890 of 75,869
I spent the better part of an hour listening to a FiiO FF5 at my favorite headphone shop.

In my ears, the FF5 with a foam cover sounded very much like my Yincrow X6 without a foam cover. Mostly flat with maybe a pinch of bass. Again, a lot similar to Etymotics, and again, no comment about specifics like technicalities or whatnot.

As for fit, the FF5 with foam covers fit my ears perfectly. Sturdy and not prone to falling out when I walked. Without foams, however, they wouldn’t stay at all. In comparison, the X6 without foams generally fit my ears, but the right side was a little loose. The foam covers enhanced the fit, but added bass to the sound, making it darker than what I usually like.

Definitely liked these pairs. I’ll keep them on my Christmas list.

FYI buds with MX500 shells are not made to be listened without foams, and foams are important to buds like tips are for IEM's. There are some exceptions from Venture Electronics that are made to be listened without foams. So when listening to X6 and other buds with MX500 shells, foams are a must.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back