Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 23, 2023 at 4:08 AM Post #67,906 of 75,149
my quick take on the FF5, while I'll be keeping them, I wouldn't recommend them. For anyone considering them, I'd consider getting a bud from tgxear or riku. I only have the berserker from riku, but that is much better than the ff5 in my opinion. I have pretty much all of tgxear's offerings and they remain my standout favorites. For something under the FF5 price-point, I prefer my lbbs over the ff5. I'm sure there are plenty in the $30-50 range that is preferred over the FF5

Jan 23, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #67,907 of 75,149
Jan 23, 2023 at 7:45 AM Post #67,908 of 75,149
my quick take on the FF5, while I'll be keeping them, I wouldn't recommend them. For anyone considering them, I'd consider getting a bud from tgxear or riku. I only have the berserker from riku, but that is much better than the ff5 in my opinion. I have pretty much all of tgxear's offerings and they remain my standout favorites. For something under the FF5 price-point, I prefer my lbbs over the ff5. I'm sure there are plenty in the $30-50 range that is preferred over the FF5
This is where I'm reminded that all of our ears are different. I also only have the berzerker 1 from Riku, and although I like it, I much prefer the FF5. It's hard to argue over it when the differences in preference are so clear!

I guess the only thing you can do is either listen to everything yourself, or gradually find a reviewer who seems to share your preferences.

Jan 23, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #67,909 of 75,149
Re: The Yuin PK2. Did the cable break or driver issue? If I had original PK2 with original drivers and shells I would definitely try to salvage them. If it's the cable, it could be replaced and you would have a working set of PK2 again. If the drivers are bad, then I would salvage the shell and get some replacement 14.8mm drivers and cable and do a DIY build. PK dual port shells (vs newer style single port) are semi-expensive these days, so why not try a DIY build with them is my thought.
That's not a bad idea. They are the OG PK2 so I guess they have some nostalgic value, but I just assumed all the drivers today are better. However, I didn't think about just the shells and eventually DIYing. That's a great idea, because I'm a hoarder and have tons of electronic components. I really, REALLY miss those old PK shells compared to MX500, but the sound on MX500 is better for pretty much everything right? Or is it just better for some bass and staging? PK shell had ok staging but just not well-rounded. MX500 has been very well-rounded, even if a little boomy, by comparison. I recall my PK3 (had both) being just as warm, but staging wasn't quite as good (maybe technicality was worse too). I suspect that smaller, lighter drivers in smaller shells will have tighter treble and better resolution in that range.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #67,910 of 75,149
This is where I'm reminded that all of our ears are different. I also only have the berzerker 1 from Riku, and although I like it, I much prefer the FF5. It's hard to argue over it when the differences in preference are so clear!

I guess the only thing you can do is either listen to everything yourself, or gradually find a reviewer who seems to share your preferences.
so true. I'm guessing you prefer a warmer sound signature with luscious mids?

Jan 23, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #67,911 of 75,149
I was curious too. Here is their crowdfunding page. https://camp-fire.jp/projects/63143...ki2&utm_campaign=cp_po_share_projects_preview

They are pretty for sure. And I love seeing prices in Japanese yen so much that I am almost reflexively clicking that button. <I actually might end up clicking it>.
Some interesting stuff there. One thing that worries me is that in the Q&A section they recommended a song, and in that rec they mentioned liking the female voice. This makes me worry that they might be "female poison" type of tuning. I guess time will tell if they are great or just look pretty. After all, the Smabat M4 are probably one of the nicest looking, but the worst sounding of all their lineup (IMO).

If you DO decide to "click" on it, do let us know your thoughts when April arrives, and you get them?! I am "curious George" at this point... :)

Jan 23, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #67,912 of 75,149
so true. I'm guessing you prefer a warmer sound signature with luscious mids?
Seems like it, yeah. When I first tried the FF5s, I immediately EQ'd in some bass that I felt was lacking. But these days I don't actually feel like it needs that boost at all. I also sometimes find parts in some songs that I prefer on other buds. Like certain baselines just sound way better with the EM5. But among those I own, overall I prefer the frequency response of the FF5 over everything.
Some interesting stuff there. One thing that worries me is that in the Q&A section they recommended a song, and in that rec they mentioned liking the female voice. This makes me worry that they might be "female poison" type of tuning. I guess time will tell if they are great or just look pretty. After all, the Smabat M4 are probably one of the nicest looking, but the worst sounding of all their lineup (IMO).

If you DO decide to "click" on it, do let us know your thoughts when April arrives, and you get them?! I am "curious George" at this point... :)
I would honestly love to bite that bullet and take one for the team to review it. I love shiny things, and this is really shiny!! But... considering how I only actually like the sound of a small percent of the headphones I try, it would probably be wasted money. 20,000yen is probably more than I'm willing to spend on a completely blind purchase. Sorry, I think I'll wait and look at reviews or hopefully it will eventually be displayed at e-earphones and I can try it out there. Since it's Japanese, that might happen!

Jan 23, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #67,913 of 75,149
Seems like it, yeah. When I first tried the FF5s, I immediately EQ'd in some bass that I felt was lacking. But these days I don't actually feel like it needs that boost at all. I also sometimes find parts in some songs that I prefer on other buds. Like certain baselines just sound way better with the EM5. But among those I own, overall I prefer the frequency response of the FF5 over everything.

I would honestly love to bite that bullet and take one for the team to review it. I love shiny things, and this is really shiny!! But... considering how I only actually like the sound of a small percent of the headphones I try, it would probably be wasted money. 20,000yen is probably more than I'm willing to spend on a completely blind purchase. Sorry, I think I'll wait and look at reviews or hopefully it will eventually be displayed at e-earphones and I can try it out there. Since it's Japanese, that might happen!
I certainly don't blame you there. I also am not really willing to do a complete blind buy. Though, as mentioned earlier, it does indeed look pretty interesting (being a planar earbud and all). :)

:beerchug: Here's hoping that they become successful, and we end up owning a pair. :wink:

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #67,914 of 75,149
I certainly don't blame you there. I also am not really willing to do a complete blind buy. Though, as mentioned earlier, it does indeed look pretty interesting (being a planar earbud and all). :)

:beerchug: Here's hoping that they become successful, and we end up owning a pair. :wink:
Cheers to that! :beerchug:

Jan 24, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #67,918 of 75,149
Ideally around 100usd (or less)
It is my opinion that these are the best you can get for $100 or less. I am sure there are others out there for less, but either I have not heard them, or have not heard better. These have some of the best bass in an earbud, period (IMHO). YMMV though.

FiiO FF3 Earbuds

Edit: If you have enough power to drive them, I find these to have the best overall sound that you can get (ATM), but are about $20 over what you specified:
Yinman 2.0 600 Earbuds

And these, are just as good as the Yinman, but more in an analytical way @$30 over your desired budget:
FiiO FF5 Earbuds

Keep in mind that all of these recommendations are TOTL buds. You might be able to find cheaper buds, but I don't think they can compete with these. These are only my opinions and yours (and others) may vary.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #67,919 of 75,149
It is my opinion that these are the best you can get for $100 or less. I am sure there are others out there for less, but either I have not heard them, or have not heard better. These have some of the best bass in an earbud, period (IMHO). YMMV though.

FiiO FF3 Earbuds

Edit: If you have enough power to drive them, I find these to have the best overall sound that you can get (ATM), but are about $20 over what you specified:
Yinman 2.0 600 Earbuds

And these, are just as good as the Yinman, but more in an analytical way @$30 over your desired budget:
FiiO FF5 Earbuds

Keep in mind that all of these recommendations are TOTL buds. You might be able to find cheaper buds, but I don't think they can compete with these. These are only my opinions and yours (and others) may vary.

Thanks bro I'll check them out! :pray:

How much is enough power? I have a iFi Go Blu and Zen Dac v1 currently

Jan 24, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #67,920 of 75,149
Thanks bro I'll check them out! :pray:

How much is enough power? I have a iFi Go Blu and Zen Dac v1 currently
I would say that your Zen DAC would not drive them properly because it is roughly 100ohms output impedance (remember the rule of 8s here). But the Go Blu should drive them ok on paper.

iFi Go Blu ouput power @600 ohms:
  • 93.75mW
  • 7.5VRMS
  • 12.5mA
And the Yinman 2.0 need (to reach 110dBSPL):
  • 80mW
  • 6.93VRMS
  • 11.5mA
Keep in mind that this is just on paper, and as you can see there isn't much headroom here. This does not mean that they won't sound their best at all. I would guess that they will sound really good with the Go Blu (provided they synergize well with it).

If you decided to go that route, make sure you chat with the seller on AE and make sure you are getting the New Yinman 2.0 600, and ask for pictures. Also, you will need to let them know the connector you want (I would guess that you will want 4.4mm balanced for these as most 3.5mm SE don't have the power to drive these properly). The ones on the site are not the ones you would/should get. They look more like this:

20220707_110855.jpg

20220707_110941.jpg

20220707_112018.jpg

20220707_111127.jpg

20220829_025524.jpg

20220707_231419.jpg

20220707_231002.jpg

Edit: Having said all that, I have an iBasso DX160 that has about 6.4VRMS (1.2W @32ohms) and it drives them very well (IMO). Though these DO scale with more power. I would say that somewhere around 1W would be the minimum (which your Go Blu can do over that amount; 1.7W @32ohms) that I would use with these even though they can get plenty loud and sound decent with less. I have used them directly out of my Samsung Note 9 phone and while I can certainly tell the difference, they don't sound horrid; just not their best. Hope that is helpful?! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back