Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 21, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #67,876 of 75,352
just got the FF5 in. Quick question -- how on earth are you supposed to tell right side from left???
Well if all else fails the first 30 seconds of Al Stewart's "Year Of The Cat" is all in the left channel. Not a great test track when you first get an IEM or set of buds to audition!

"What the hell? One channel isn't working! Useless bloody ChiFi QC, grr!" 😠

Jan 21, 2023 at 4:50 AM Post #67,877 of 75,352
Contact xinhs!!! Theyre on break rn but they offer no heat shrink sleeving on their cables through custom requests. Just send them a message after the 28th through aliexpress, amazing people to work with.
My custom below:
20230120_202617.jpg

Their store
ha that's good to know! I already have a couple of their cables and I was already planning on ordering a couple of their modular cables, so I'll just add that to the list :D

Jan 21, 2023 at 5:37 AM Post #67,878 of 75,352
Just wanted to stop by to share my review of the newer TGXEar offering - the Ripples. You can find it here. I hope people find it insightful.

_DSC3638crop.jpg

Much respect to @tgx78 for implementing this interesting driver well in the MX500 shell. Not my favourite of his buds but it goes toe-to-toe with his other models, offers something unique and is arguably the most complete package.

Also, it's a bit delayed but I just want to say: Happy New Year to all, I hope 2023 brings everyone happiness and contentment!
Awesome review mate!

Jan 21, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #67,879 of 75,352
you're sounding a bit shy? The x6 is more than decent, it's a phenomenal bud. I thought they were discontinued? When that rumor went around, I bought 4 or 5 pairs immediately. I think I'm set for life now.

Phenomenal, maybe for someone I'm sure, but not for me, no. As I get older I tend to prefer more bass than I used to oddly, but I'd rather use something like a TO600 that is much flatter than the v-shaped X6, but not "bass deficient" like many earbuds can be. I think I need to try the Smabat Gold balanced, could tighten it maybe.

Jan 21, 2023 at 1:55 PM Post #67,880 of 75,352
Phenomenal, maybe for someone I'm sure, but not for me, no. As I get older I tend to prefer more bass than I used to oddly, but I'd rather use something like a TO600 that is much flatter than the v-shaped X6, but not "bass deficient" like many earbuds can be. I think I need to try the Smabat Gold balanced, could tighten it maybe.
Reverse aging? In truth it's probably just wisdom.

Jan 21, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #67,883 of 75,352
Just got my VE V2S (Venture Electronics Version 2.0 S). I was hoping the connector would be smaller but it's HUGE. It's so much thicker than my laptop that I have to use a USB-C dongle. The other connector pictured is from my NiceHCK DIY MX500. 11mm vs 5.5mm. Even the stress relief is only 7.5mm at its thickest.
Well, it's a good time as any to pull out my old soldering kit and find a cheap, small connector. I really like the sound, and think they have a good role as an every-day earbud that primarily handles voice and video.

Initial impressions of V2S: Good technicality, a toned down VE signature with bloated mid-bass and forward mids. Vocals in general have a lot of texture, but seem overly colored by the mid-bass. A lot of texture. Overall much more neutral than my VE Monk Plus. Closer to Monk Lites with less (but more accurate) bass and better treble extension. Just using a tone-generator, I was able to hear 55Hz ~ 17kHz. Other than the connector, the mic button also sucks. It's a round cylinder and so is the button so you have to visually find it or have hyper-sensitive touch to distinguish the tiny ridge. No microphonics, and the ~silicone~ (edit: soft, grippy plastic) cable is soft and tangle-free.

DIY MX500 impressions: technically not as good, but a good earbuds nonetheless. Too much bass, but focused more on sub-bass (actually can hear down to 45 Hz, and up to 17KHz). However, much tamer mids. They're relatively neutral with a LOT of bass boost. Maybe too much texture, which can make some voices sound grainy. It makes a difference with voices, which we can scrutinize better than other sounds. I like the cable aesthetic/feel significantly more than the V2S, but the microphonics make them hard to wear on-the-go.

Had to finally throw away my Yuin PK2 (over a decade old) but I'm getting the LBB w/ mic in a month. Hoping it's the balanced-neutral earbuds I'm looking for with great technicality and just a hint of fun. PK2 had no fun, and anemic bass, but the clarity was out-of-this-world for me.

I had a cheaper set of earbuds not too long ago (Traceless, Monk/+/Lite, PK3), but I've essentially given them away to my loved ones. Glad to replace them with some higher quality buds that better fit my usage.

Attachments

• PXL_20230121_234935528_2.jpg
    PXL_20230121_234935528_2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230121_234800052.jpg
    PXL_20230121_234800052.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #67,884 of 75,352
Just got my VE V2S (Venture Electronics Version 2.0 S). I was hoping the connector would be smaller but it's HUGE. It's so much thicker than my laptop that I have to use a USB-C dongle. The other connector pictured is from my NiceHCK DIY MX500. 11mm vs 5.5mm. Even the stress relief is only 7.5mm at its thickest.
Well, it's a good time as any to pull out my old soldering kit and find a cheap, small connector. I really like the sound, and think they have a good role as an every-day earbud that primarily handles voice and video.

Initial impressions of V2S: Good technicality, a toned down VE signature with bloated mid-bass and forward mids. Vocals in general have a lot of texture, but seem overly colored by the mid-bass. A lot of texture. Overall much more neutral than my VE Monk Plus. Closer to Monk Lites with less (but more accurate) bass and better treble extension. Just using a tone-generator, I was able to hear 55Hz ~ 17kHz. Other than the connector, the mic button also sucks. It's a round cylinder and so is the button so you have to visually find it or have hyper-sensitive touch to distinguish the tiny ridge. No microphonics, and the silicone cable is soft and tangle-free.

DIY MX500 impressions: technically not as good, but a good earbuds nonetheless. Too much bass, but focused more on sub-bass (actually can hear down to 45 Hz, and up to 17KHz). However, much tamer mids. They're relatively neutral with a LOT of bass boost. Maybe too much texture, which can make some voices sound grainy. It makes a difference with voices, which we can scrutinize better than other sounds. I like the cable aesthetic and feel significantly more than the V2S, but the microphonics make them hard to wear on-the-go.

Had to finally throw away my Yuin PK2 (over a decade old) but I'm getting the LBB w/ mic in a month. Hoping it's the balanced-neutral earbuds I'm looking for with great technicality and just a hint of fun. PK2 had no fun, and anemic bass, but the clarity was out-of-this-world for me.

I had a cheaper set of earbuds not too long ago (Traceless, Monk/+/Lite, PK3), but I've essentially given them away to my loved ones. Glad to replace them with some higher quality buds that better fit my usage.
TBH it looks like a 4.4mm balanced plug but with only a 3.5mm prong. Don't mention it in front of them, they're probably very self conscious about it!:ksc75smile:

Jan 21, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #67,885 of 75,352
How to enhance bass on LBBS (& LBB w/ mic )

Seal the 10 mm x 5 mm vinyl tape by placing the tape over the 'inside' vent on the LBBS shell.

Specifically, on the L shell, tape over the right-hand vent when viewed from the back, and on the R shell, tape over the left-hand vent when viewed from the back and plug it with 10 mm x 5 mm vinyl tape.

The effect of blocking with vinyl tape over the 'inside' vent is as follows.
+Increased sub-bass
+Boost in resolution and separation
-Decrease in soundstage

I hope this helps. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #67,886 of 75,352
How to enhance bass on LBBS (& LBB w/ mic )

Seal the 10 mm x 5 mm vinyl tape by placing the tape over the 'inside' vent on the LBBS shell.

Specifically, on the L shell, tape over the right-hand vent when viewed from the back, and on the R shell, tape over the left-hand vent when viewed from the back and plug it with 10 mm x 5 mm vinyl tape.

The effect of blocking with vinyl tape over the 'inside' vent is as follows.
+Increased sub-bass
+Boost in resolution and separation
-Decrease in soundstage

I hope this helps. :relaxed:
I would think that this would also give the impression of more blunted treble too???

Jan 21, 2023 at 10:16 PM Post #67,888 of 75,352
Speaking of Venture Electronics…

I got a set of foams from them for the Yincrow X6 and they’re great. I can’t really tell if there’s any difference in density between the colors but they are way softer and more conformable in the ears. Highly recommended.

And again, the X6 is a monster. Every time I put them in I’m surprised by how good they are. These absolutely compete with IEMs in terms of sound quality.

I’m contemplating a FiiO set next. Anyone have strong opinions between the FF3 and the FF5?

Jan 21, 2023 at 11:03 PM Post #67,889 of 75,352
Speaking of Venture Electronics…

I got a set of foams from them for the Yincrow X6 and they’re great. I can’t really tell if there’s any difference in density between the colors but they are way softer and more conformable in the ears. Highly recommended.

And again, the X6 is a monster. Every time I put them in I’m surprised by how good they are. These absolutely compete with IEMs in terms of sound quality.

I’m contemplating a FiiO set next. Anyone have strong opinions between the FF3 and the FF5?
I like them both for different reasons and if you had both you would probably feel the same.

If you like bass, which it seems you do since you like the X6 (I like some X6 goodness as well), FF3 is a great choice. The FF3 is tuned for bass. Both FF3 and FF5 come with 3 sets of foams, bass, balanced and crispy (donut foams). I find the balanced foams to be a very good starting point. Good (fun) bass, nice mids and a little rolled off top end. The FF5 is tuned for enhancing the frequency spectrum of the female voice, this is not to say that it is tuned as a female poison earbud, not at all. Many instruments and voices fall into the frequency range of the female voice, so expect excellent mids with detail and spatial layering. While that is true, don't be fooled, the FF5 has excellent bass as well, maybe a bit more mid-bass focus, but is capable of going low as well depending on the music track mixing / mastering.

I think FiiO brought two great buds to market with the FF3 and FF5 and I'm glad I got both of them. In the end you may end up getting both as well, they are that good.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #67,890 of 75,352

Initial impressions of V2S: Good technicality, a toned down VE signature with bloated mid-bass and forward mids. Vocals in general have a lot of texture, but seem overly colored by the mid-bass. A lot of texture. Overall much more neutral than my VE Monk Plus. Closer to Monk Lites with less (but more accurate) bass and better treble extension. Just using a tone-generator, I was able to hear 55Hz ~ 17kHz. Other than the connector, the mic button also sucks. It's a round cylinder and so is the button so you have to visually find it or have hyper-sensitive touch to distinguish the tiny ridge. No microphonics, and the ~silicone~ (edit: soft, grippy plastic) cable is soft and tangle-free.

DIY MX500 impressions: technically not as good, but a good earbuds nonetheless. Too much bass, but focused more on sub-bass (actually can hear down to 45 Hz, and up to 17KHz). However, much tamer mids. They're relatively neutral with a LOT of bass boost. Maybe too much texture, which can make some voices sound grainy. It makes a difference with voices, which we can scrutinize better than other sounds. I like the cable aesthetic/feel significantly more than the V2S, but the microphonics make them hard to wear on-the-go.

Re: The Yuin PK2. Did the cable break or driver issue? If I had original PK2 with original drivers and shells I would definitely try to salvage them. If it's the cable, it could be replaced and you would have a working set of PK2 again. If the drivers are bad, then I would salvage the shell and get some replacement 14.8mm drivers and cable and do a DIY build. PK dual port shells (vs newer style single port) are semi-expensive these days, so why not try a DIY build with them is my thought.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back