Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 21, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #67,891 of 75,351
Hey! So I’ve been trying to figure out if there’s something that’s basically the monk plus but with more bass for a while, from what I’ve read I might have to go all the way to the fiio ff3, which is kinda expensive for earbuds x.x

I have the yincrow x6 and qian 39 too and I hate them lol, they have giant peaks and deeps in the fr, the monk is the only warm mid centric earbud with a smooth fr I’ve heard but I feel it could be better resolution and bass wise so idk…

The FF3 are kinda expensive, but worth it. I've pretty much been listening to them exclusively since getting them because they simply sound so damn good. Now if I can just NOT read any more FF5 reviews, I'll be fine LOL

Jan 22, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #67,892 of 75,351
Speaking of Venture Electronics…

I got a set of foams from them for the Yincrow X6 and they’re great. I can’t really tell if there’s any difference in density between the colors but they are way softer and more conformable in the ears. Highly recommended.

And again, the X6 is a monster. Every time I put them in I’m surprised by how good they are. These absolutely compete with IEMs in terms of sound quality.

I’m contemplating a FiiO set next. Anyone have strong opinions between the FF3 and the FF5?
I like them both for different reasons and if you had both you would probably feel the same.

If you like bass, which it seems you do since you like the X6 (I like some X6 goodness as well), FF3 is a great choice. The FF3 is tuned for bass. Both FF3 and FF5 come with 3 sets of foams, bass, balanced and crispy (donut foams). I find the balanced foams to be a very good starting point. Good (fun) bass, nice mids and a little rolled off top end. The FF5 is tuned for enhancing the frequency spectrum of the female voice, this is not to say that it is tuned as a female poison earbud, not at all. Many instruments and voices fall into the frequency range of the female voice, so expect excellent mids with detail and spatial layering. While that is true, don't be fooled, the FF5 has excellent bass as well, maybe a bit more mid-bass focus, but is capable of going low as well depending on the music track mixing / mastering.

I think FiiO brought two great buds to market with the FF3 and FF5 and I'm glad I got both of them. In the end you may end up getting both as well, they are that good.
These are pretty much my thoughts on them both @Surf Monkey. Instead of being a direct upgrade, they are more complimentary than anything else (IMHO).

I would classify the FF3 as being more fun with some analytical mixed in it, and the FF5 as being more analytical with some fun mixed in.
The FF3 are kinda expensive, but worth it. I've pretty much been listening to them exclusively since getting them because they simply sound so damn good. Now if I can just NOT read any more FF5 reviews, I'll be fine LOL
Good luck with that bro. You would need to quit the forum for that. Lol

I'll just say it now, congrats on your new shiny! 🤪

Jan 22, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #67,893 of 75,351
Speaking of the FF5, has anyone noticed that on the upper ring of the cable, it says "born for music"? Nothing special but kind of cool nonetheless. If you didn't compare the first two words, one might think that it is handwritten rather than a font. :) And the other strange thing is that it is in cursive. Since they no longer teach it in school at all, the younger folks won't be able to read it... LOL

IMG_005.JPG

IMG_006.JPG

IMG_007.JPG

Jan 22, 2023 at 1:47 AM Post #67,894 of 75,351
These are pretty much my thoughts on them both @Surf Monkey. Instead of being a direct upgrade, they are more complimentary than anything else (IMHO).

I would classify the FF3 as being more fun with some analytical mixed in it, and the FF5 as being more analytical with some fun mixed in.

Good luck with that bro. You would need to quit the forum for that. Lol

I'll just say it now, congrats on your new shiny! 🤪

Cool. I think I’ll add the FF3 first. Thanks for the feedback!

Jan 22, 2023 at 7:22 AM Post #67,895 of 75,351
FF5 = Detachable MMCX cable :wink: How can you resist?

Jan 22, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #67,896 of 75,351
FF5 = Detachable MMCX cable :wink: How can you resist?

With you jokers/enablers? Resistance will be futile! :beerchug:

Seriously, how did I go from a budget-fi-dude who wouldn't spend more than $30 for a pair of buds, to someone considering a $130US bud? Actually, $130US doesn't sound so bad. But when I switch to Canadian CAD funds, it very inconveniently switches to $183. Grrrr! Oh well, nothing new there.

Jan 22, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #67,897 of 75,351

Seriously, how did I go from a budget-fi-dude who wouldn't spend more than $30 for a pair of buds, to someone considering a $130US bud? Actually, $130US doesn't sound so bad. But when I switch to Canadian CAD funds, it very inconveniently switches to $183. Grrrr! Oh well, nothing new there.
But... but... but, we only want the best for you bro. 😝😜😛

Jan 22, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #67,898 of 75,351

You gotta go for Tgxear's stuff # support your fellow Canadian

Jan 22, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #67,899 of 75,351
Jan 22, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #67,901 of 75,351
Anyone have strong opinions between the FF3 and the FF5?
Not having to deal with FF3 cable is already a huge plus for FF5 to me :dt880smile:

For my taste and my library, I lean toward FF5. But I have no doubt that many would enjoy FF3 more. Not all music needs tack sharp details and imaging, IMHO.

Jan 22, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #67,903 of 75,351
Did the cable break or driver issue?
I had a pk2 Yuin but the cable broke. I searched on how to change the cable but I didnt try yet because I never DIY earbuds and I'd need to buy soldering equipment so Im not confident I can do it right.
I bought them in 2019 on ali express so I think it doesnt have the original drivers but I love it. I still have hope someday I'll try to fix it. Even broken I still hold it dear
Sorry to intrude the the conversation.:smile_phones:

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #67,904 of 75,351
Last edited:
Jan 23, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #67,905 of 75,351
BTW. I just tried putting my FF5s attached to the UTWS5 bluetooth module underneath my snowboard helmet to see if it could fit under.
Well NOT ONLY does it fit with no comfort issues, I can press the button just by pressing on my helmet ear pad, so I can access all the controls without even taking off my mittens.

I had been eyeing the kind of helmet speakers that the helmet is made to take (these for example). But I knew I was going to be disappointed in the sound even after paying $100-$200. So I'm really really looking forward to hitting the slopes with my current favorite buds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back