Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 8, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #66,421 of 75,563
Really disappointed in the NiceHCK B40. I love the RY4S Plus, and Fengru DIY Tingo TC200 Pro, but I really struggle to keep the MX500 style in my ears. I'm constantly having to fiddle with them to try and get a perfect fit.

B40 is the absolute perfect shape, and I was so happy to finally have a set that just fit, and didn't need any messing with.
Only problem, they sound terrible. Not just flat, but lacking everything, really. After reading the praise they get here, I was disappointed when I heard them myself. At first, I thought I might have a bad set, but I purchased another from a different Ali seller, and they were the same.

Is there anything with this exact PK fit, around the same sub $15 price, that don't compromise on sound so much ?
If I can get the PK fit, but with the RY4S Plus sound profile, I'll be so happy.
DQSM panda pk2s

Love mine.

Nov 8, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #66,422 of 75,563
I haven't bought any buds in a while and I guess the sale is a good time to. Looking for these two:

Anything with a similar fit to Qian39s but different sound?

Anything with a decent quality mic for office work? I'm currently using I think B40's with a mic.

Nov 8, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #66,423 of 75,563
I haven't bought any buds in a while and I guess the sale is a good time to. Looking for these two:

Anything with a similar fit to Qian39s but different sound?

Anything with a decent quality mic for office work? I'm currently using I think B40's with a mic.
I would contact Venture Electronics about this: https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=45.
they make a $5 microphone that might be compatible with a breakout cable if they won’t make a microphone version of that bud.
Breakout Cable
VE mic

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #66,424 of 75,563
Really disappointed in the NiceHCK B40. I love the RY4S Plus, and Fengru DIY Tingo TC200 Pro, but I really struggle to keep the MX500 style in my ears. I'm constantly having to fiddle with them to try and get a perfect fit.

B40 is the absolute perfect shape, and I was so happy to finally have a set that just fit, and didn't need any messing with.
Only problem, they sound terrible. Not just flat, but lacking everything, really. After reading the praise they get here, I was disappointed when I heard them myself. At first, I thought I might have a bad set, but I purchased another from a different Ali seller, and they were the same.

Is there anything with this exact PK fit, around the same sub $15 price, that don't compromise on sound so much ?
If I can get the PK fit, but with the RY4S Plus sound profile, I'll be so happy.

For $25 you can get the DQSM Pandas that I have heard good things about. They have a PK shell and are supposed to be quite good for the money.

Edit: I should have kept reading to the part where @drewbadour rec'd the Pandas. Either way, they might be what you're looking for.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #66,426 of 75,563
I have the DQSM Panda and the B40.
The B40 is much better. Much better definition, separation and clarity.

For a smaller shell I recommend the Ksearphone LBB. Not the LBBS which is more expensive and worse IMO. The LBB has excelent sound and very conmfortable. A bit more pricey though.

I'm using a good DAC - ifi Zen Air DAC. A good DAC is essencial for earbuds IMO, as it really gives them the bass and fullsound quality they deseve. A good dongle is usually enough.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #66,428 of 75,563
Which earbuds have the best soundsprofile?
Im looking for buds to use on a regular AUX.
I’d vote for the FiiO ff3 of the over-the-counter buds. You can read about it from the link in my signature.

Nov 9, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #66,429 of 75,563
Well, my Megatron arrived today, but I've only tried the single end output. I took some FR graphs using one stationary bud, the 300 Ohm LCP planted in my rig and came up with some interesting results:
megatron.jpg

3amps.jpg

The B4X has increased lower treble and decreased air.
CLOSE.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 9:35 PM Post #66,430 of 75,563
Well, my Megatron arrived today, but I've only tried the single end output. I took some FR graphs using one stationary bud, the 300 Ohm LCP planted in my rig and came up with some interesting results:
megatron.jpg
3amps.jpg
CLOSE.jpg
How interesting, first empirical evidence of difference between amps.

How is your impression about the noise performance and staging?

Nov 9, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #66,431 of 75,563
megatron.jpg
3amps.jpg
The B4X has increased lower treble and decreased air.
CLOSE.jpg

I had never measured mine, but it has a pretty easily heard mellow character to it that would be easily explained by having some treble roll off. Wild Lee has basically said that this warm/analog/mellow and non-fatiguing character was an intentional tuning choice and I find that it pairs very well with certain buds. Thus far, I have been nothing but happy with mine.

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #66,432 of 75,563
Folks, I am looking to buy spare foam for my earbuds. I currently use the FiiO donut ones on my FF3 & Vido (the 2 earbuds I currently have in circulation).
I personally found that the donut ones provide better clarity than the fully covered ones (sounded muddied).
I have ordered the HieGi brand ones but happy to take further recommendations.

Cheers

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #66,433 of 75,563
How interesting, first empirical evidence of difference between amps.

How is your impression about the noise performance and staging?
Oh, I wouldn't say first..... There have been tons of this evidence for decades. First for me: Yes. This is really just a small part of the actual differences and this is just with one bud. It's tempting to try this with several buds/amps. I wonder if the spread would remain very similar or if the different reactances wouldn't rear their heads a bit more prominently.

Check out the differences in some commercial buds however:
CommercialBuds.jpg

That's not including with really wild SMABAT tunings but they still dwarf the differences in dramatically different amp designs. My tunings spread is more similar to amp differences:
RonionBuds.jpg

I haven't heard any noise, but I've only listened with 300+ ohm buds. Staging is more intimate than most, if not all, of my other amps. I definitely want to hear this balanced and I'm going to build some buds for the purpose. I wonder if it doesn't open up a bit.
I had never measured mine, but it has a pretty easily heard mellow character to it that would be easily explained by having some treble roll off. Wild Lee has basically said that this warm/analog/mellow and non-fatiguing character was an intentional tuning choice and I find that it pairs very well with certain buds. Thus far, I have been nothing but happy with mine.
I definitely enjoy the sound. It's laid back and simultaneously muscular. It's a different sort of muscular when compared to my FiiO e12mb, God rest its soul. The FiiO was a bright and a touch aggressive and loose while the Megatron is laid back with contemplative resolve like an OG. Unfortunately my iPhone/Pad won't power it at all.

Folks, I am looking to buy spare foam for my earbuds. I currently use the FiiO donut ones on my FF3 & Vido (the 2 earbuds I currently have in circulation).
I personally found that the donut ones provide better clarity than the fully covered ones (sounded muddied).
I have ordered the HieGi brand ones but happy to take further recommendations.

Cheers
Expect the HieGi to sound more muted than the FiiO Crisp. For a wide range of more treble exposing foams get VE's Ex-Packs.

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #66,434 of 75,563
Expect the HieGi to sound more muted than the FiiO Crisp. For a wide range of more treble exposing foams get VE's Ex-Packs.
Thanks. Just to be clear, you are recommending getting the donut shaped (orange one) in VE's ex-pack? or any in that Ex-Pack range?

I also noticed that your signature shows a way to order FF3 foams itself. I have reached out to FiiO to see if I can order additional crisp foams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back