Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 10, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #66,451 of 75,861
Your ability to thumb your phone is outstanding, mate :dt880smile:

You know, "for you as a reviewer" suddenly makes me feel pretentious. What does it even mean to be a "reviewer". A talkative audio geek sounds better :thinking:

Btw, today I learn that the voice coil opening is supposed to face upward (the opposite direction to the stem). I swear that all tutorial that I learned and all the commercial buds that I have opened have the voice coil facing down. Strange.

Well, it was meant more as a compliment and was used because you were talking about your REVIEWS lol! BTW, a reviewer is one who reviews. 😉

Nov 10, 2022 at 11:09 PM Post #66,452 of 75,861
Well, it was meant more as a compliment and was used because you were talking about your REVIEWS lol! BTW, a reviewer is one who reviews. 😉
No worries mate. It's a joke :dt880smile:

Anyhow, is anyone familiar with these drivers? I think the LCP is the one @Ronion and @JAnonymous5150 have been talking about. The other one is just something affordable that I found before checking out.
Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 2.35.05 pm.png

Nov 11, 2022 at 12:13 AM Post #66,453 of 75,861

Anyhow, is anyone familiar with these drivers? I think the LCP is the one @Ronion and @JAnonymous5150 have been talking about. The other one is just something affordable that I found before checking out.

I used the 300 LCPs in my last pair of DIY buds. I haven't worked with the others. Are they for your next build?

Nov 11, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #66,454 of 75,861
I used the 300 LCPs in my last pair of DIY buds. I haven't worked with the others. Are they for your next build?
Yup! I'm going to make 10 MX500 shells with MMCX connectors and use two for these drivers.

Nov 11, 2022 at 12:50 AM Post #66,455 of 75,861
I'll start by saying that I prefer donuts to fulls in foams. Apparently it's my preference for bass earbuds, where I don't even want to sacrifice their treble potential. That said, I like thicker foams, for the sake of a better fit in my more dimensional ear. My ideals in terms of thickness and color palette from cheap foams are met by Trig Rain foams, but not so much in terms of sound, which, due to their density and thickness, dampens the highs. At the same time, such a wide colour palette of foams is not available in the donut version, or I just haven't discovered it. One more caveat: never order a color-mixed pack, the foams can easily color each other in the pack.

So I'd like to share the simple method by which I transform these full foams into donuts. I found the tool in my wife's workshop, she uses it when punching leather in making her handbags.
The diameter of the tool allows you to create exactly the hole you want on the side of the ear.

I suppose that this procedure has occurred to many people if by chance it hasn't, let them like it...

Trig Rain foams:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32671911259.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.21ef1802rSXwYF
There's some even nicer punches another member here showed me.

https://a.co/d/99oCz47
I use leather punches to create offset donuts where the hole isn't in the center, but is lower and to the side so that it lines up more closely with the entrance to my ear canal. I still use traditional donuts on some because the sound is different so the offset version just gives me another option. I believe it was @assassin10000 who introduced the idea to me.
Yep and I got the idea from sean, another member that hasn't popped in this thread in a while.
I decided on buying some bell shape cases today. Even though I can't get on with MX500 fit, I'm hoping these might just fit a little better. Worth the risk.

I will be throwing my RY4S Plus driver inside them, as this is my favourite sounding earphone, just ahead of the Faaeal Iris V1.0. I have spare sets, so I can afford to mess up a couple. Considering how terrible sounding the B40 are in comparison to these sets, I felt like I had to find an alternative that works, without sacrificing the sound of those.

I’m assuming you got bell shapes that can handle 15.4mm drivers?

I did indeed. Expecting the worst, but it's part of the fun, I guess. I'll be very happy if it works out sound, and fit wise.

Let us know either way. It’s all about learning and having fun. Do you have a link to the shells? I really want to do some metal shells, but the 2 I’ve bought are challenging to tune and I’m going to have to get my workbench assembled to make it happen. I know how to make it happen, but I like the simplicity of these plastic shells.

I too have issues with mx500 fit. I had a hard time finding good 14.8mm bell shaped shells.

I ended up sacrificing some K's LBB & LBBs shells.

IMG_20210820_185241.jpg

You can also cut the stem off a PK shell and MMCX convert it too. Super comfy over ear.

IMG_20210619_101045.jpg

Nov 11, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #66,456 of 75,861
There's some even nicer punches another member here showed me.

https://a.co/d/99oCz47

Yep and I got the idea from sean, another member that hasn't popped in this thread in a while.

I too have issues with mx500 fit. I had a hard time finding good 14.8mm bell shaped shells.

I ended up sacrificing some K's LBB & LBBs shells.

IMG_20210820_185241.jpg

You can also cut the stem off a PK shell and MMCX convert it too. Super comfy over ear.

IMG_20210619_101045.jpg

Hey, since you're here, I'm about to do a build with the 40ohm Ti drivers you sent me. Planning on calling it the Assassin 40 in your honor. It will definitely sport the offset/asymmetrical donuts. 😎

Nov 11, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #66,457 of 75,861
Hey, since you're here, I'm about to do a build with the 40ohm Ti drivers you sent me. Planning on calling it the Assassin 40 in your honor. It will definitely sport the offset/asymmetrical donuts. 😎
Nice.

They definitely are a warmer driver with less emphasized pinna/treble. Donuts are the way with them.

Nov 11, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #66,458 of 75,861
The Megatron is a beast when balanced. It's insanely powerful. I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons, but I definitely love the sound of it now. It doesn't hurt that I made my first balanced buds with the 600Ohm Be drivers. I need to do a 300 Ohm driver as well. I tuned the 600 based on my experience with the driver and the thickness of the cable I used. Interestingly enough, it measures a lot like whatever Monk comes with the Megatron.
notAlike.jpg

This is exactly why I keep saying that the driver is actually more important than the tuning. The difference between these 2 is night and day! This Monk is easily the worst sounding bud I own and this 600Be is among the best. Of course if you saw the Monk graphs in their full glory with the channel imbalances and all the crazy resonances in the treble it would be a bit more obvious. The 600 average has zero channel imbalances and the biggest difference in the graphs used for the average is which amp is driving it--some it's the Megatron, some the MacBook.

This tuning was just based off an educated guess and there are some things I'd like to change about it, but I could also live with this and be completely happy forever. It's just that I know I can make it sound a little better that I'm not going to stop here.

And the differences between the between the Megatron Balanced and the Megatron Single Ended doesn't exist in the frequency domain. I'm going to test the subjective domain soon.
Megatron600Test.jpg

I bet everyone can guess which is the Megaton.

Nov 11, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #66,459 of 75,861

These are the LCPs! I went from Sinus Brady with a first degree to Sinus Tach with some PVCs when I got ahold of these I dropped to my knees like getting stung by bees and tried to squeeze the cheese begging "please, please!"

Okay, yeah those are some great drivers.

The other are the 300BeeGee (no affiliation with anyone participating in this thread that shouldn't be named in order to prevent tipping off his PR people). We also refer to it as The Donkey. It doesn't deserve that title as it's a pretty good driver that stays well composed and clear. It just lacks bass.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #66,460 of 75,861
The Megatron is a beast when balanced. It's insanely powerful. I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons, but I definitely love the sound of it now. It doesn't hurt that I made my first balanced buds with the 600Ohm Be drivers. I need to do a 300 Ohm driver as well. I tuned the 600 based on my experience with the driver and the thickness of the cable I used. Interestingly enough, it measures a lot like whatever Monk comes with the Megatron.
notAlike.jpg
This is exactly why I keep saying that the driver is actually more important than the tuning. The difference between these 2 is night and day! This Monk is easily the worst sounding bud I own and this 600Be is among the best. Of course if you saw the Monk graphs in their full glory with the channel imbalances and all the crazy resonances in the treble it would be a bit more obvious. The 600 average has zero channel imbalances and the biggest difference in the graphs used for the average is which amp is driving it--some it's the Megatron, some the MacBook.

This tuning was just based off an educated guess and there are some things I'd like to change about it, but I could also live with this and be completely happy forever. It's just that I know I can make it sound a little better that I'm not going to stop here.

And the differences between the between the Megatron Balanced and the Megatron Single Ended doesn't exist in the frequency domain. I'm going to test the subjective domain soon.
Megatron600Test.jpg
I bet everyone can guess which is the Megaton.

The our monk graphs are not that far off, at least until ear gain peak :thinking: Monk has pretty poor channel matching, especially in raw graphs. I don’t know, I think it sounds quite lovely.
graph 2.png

Is the purple line Megatron?

It’s great that people love Megatron. My review is gonna ruffle some feathers :beyersmile:

Nov 11, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #66,461 of 75,861
Yeah, the Monk has the worst channel balance of any buds I've measured and the resonances of each driver are in different locations. One also has a Pinna Gain of 3dB more than the other. Yours measure much closer than mine. The 600 are absolutely identical. People who think the drivers don't matter are mad or deaf and need to find a different hobby.

The Blue line is the Megatron... The tell tale heart is the reduced treble.

Nov 11, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #66,462 of 75,861
The Blue line is the Megatron... The tell tale heart is the reduced treble.
Darn! Should have remembered you mention “reduced treble”. Anyhow, sorry mate, I’m on the Topping G5 ship now :beyersmile:

Nov 11, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #66,463 of 75,861
Let us know either way. It’s all about learning and having fun. Do you have a link to the shells? I really want to do some metal shells, but the 2 I’ve bought are challenging to tune and I’m going to have to get my workbench assembled to make it happen. I know how to make it happen, but I like the simplicity of these plastic shells.
These two are what I grabbed :)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...316681533200333405e7ed5!12000030916087932!rec

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...316681535472546288e7ed5!12000028258786202!rec

Nov 11, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #66,464 of 75,861
Nov 11, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #66,465 of 75,861

definitely buy both

Users who are viewing this thread

Back