Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 12, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #62,761 of 75,613
Some of the others I have tried wearing over ear, but the sound quality is much worse than cable down
The RW-2000 comes to mind for me where it sounds worse over the ear!

Aug 12, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #62,762 of 75,613
That's because it is forbidden... (see what I did there? 😄)
1660357601725.jpeg

Aug 12, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #62,765 of 75,613
If u buy Final Audio E3000/E2000 iem, they come with a set of hooks to wear them over ear. That's what I used, since I don't wear them over ear.
Yeah, as mentioned earlier i also got some as "accessories", but for the life of me I don't remember which set. Hehe

Aug 12, 2022 at 11:34 PM Post #62,766 of 75,613
Going a bit off topic, but hey it's to drive some fine buds... :relaxed:

I picked up one of these amps... A few others in this thread also have this amp. I think you can drive pretty much everything you have.

Kaei Tap-1s - Portable desktop full balanced headphone tube amp + linear power supply.

KAEIDESIGNTAP-1HEADPHONEAMPDAC_3.jpg

KAEIDESIGNTAP-1HEADPHONEAMPDAC_9.jpg

Recommended headphone impedance: 12-600Ω

Maximum Output Power (L+R):

Battery Mode (Portable Mode):

Balanced:
3000mw (16Ω)
2100mw (32Ω)
1100mw (100Ω)
450mw (300Ω)

Single-Ended:
1200mw (16Ω)
700mw (32Ω)
440mw (100Ω)
200mw (300Ω)

Desktop Mode (Linear power supply):

Balanced :
4900mw (16Ω)
3200mw (32Ω)
2000mw (100Ω)
990mw (300Ω)

Single-Ended :
1980mw (16Ω)
1400mw (32Ω)
900mw (100Ω)
480mw (300Ω)

Wow, I have never seen such output power, though it might be because I mostly look at portable stuffs.

So I went to Aliexpress to buy amp. In the end, I didn’t get any amp but a bunch of tools and drivers :dt880smile:

Aug 12, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #62,767 of 75,613
You can just use a pair of tweezers to twist the metal mesh. It would fall off, but there would be still enough glue to attach it back. After removing the mesh, you will see a fabric filter covering a back vent. Remove it, and then close the metal mesh to prevent dust from entering. If you don’t like the sound, you can put everything back.
thanks friend!

Aug 13, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #62,768 of 75,613
So I am just getting home after touring for a few months and I have a decent haul of new gear waiting for me to try! As it pertains to earbuds I have some lovely newcomers on deck: TRN EMA, Shozy BK, Rose Technics Maria II and Mojito, Yincrow RW3000, Ostry KC08T (this one was a shot in the dark based on one comparison in one review that happened to add enough to my order to get me an added discount lol), Dunu Alpha 1, RY4S (mmcx version), ISN Rambo, Yincrow RW-9, Vido (red and white), several different DIY makes, MusicMaker Tomahawk Mr.Z, NiceHCK Traceless, and a partidge in a pear tree.

Oh yeah, and a brand new Cayin RU6 to try them on as well as being reunited with my Kann Alpha that I left at home like an idiot. I wasn't sure where to start so I decided to throw on the first buds I opened up: TRN EMA here we go...

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning! And for anyone wondering, I don't normally buy like this, but I got a big bonus and I wanted to assemble a well rounded earbud collection from scratch so I kinda went a bit nuts treating myself. I should be busy trying/demoing for weeks!

Aug 13, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #62,769 of 75,613
So I am just getting home after touring for a few months and I have a decent haul of new gear waiting for me to try! As it pertains to earbuds I have some lovely newcomers on deck: TRN EMA, Shozy BK, Rose Technics Maria II and Mojito, Yincrow RW3000, Ostry KC08T (this one was a shot in the dark based on one comparison in one review that happened to add enough to my order to get me an added discount lol), Dunu Alpha 1, RY4S (mmcx version), ISN Rambo, Yincrow RW-9, Vido (red and white), several different DIY makes, MusicMaker Tomahawk Mr.Z, NiceHCK Traceless, and a partidge in a pear tree.

Oh yeah, and a brand new Cayin RU6 to try them on as well as being reunited with my Kann Alpha that I left at home like an idiot. I wasn't sure where to start so I decided to throw on the first buds I opened up: TRN EMA here we go...

I feel like a kid on Christmas morning! And for anyone wondering, I don't normally buy like this, but I got a big bonus and I wanted to assemble a well rounded earbud collection from scratch so I kinda went a bit nuts treating myself. I should be busy trying/demoing for weeks!

Mate, I’m drooling :ksc75smile:

Aug 13, 2022 at 12:31 AM Post #62,770 of 75,613
Going a bit off topic, but hey it's to drive some fine buds... :relaxed:

I picked up one of these amps... A few others in this thread also have this amp. I think you can drive pretty much everything you have.

Kaei Tap-1s - Portable desktop full balanced headphone tube amp + linear power supply.

KAEIDESIGNTAP-1HEADPHONEAMPDAC_3.jpg

KAEIDESIGNTAP-1HEADPHONEAMPDAC_9.jpg

Recommended headphone impedance: 12-600Ω

Maximum Output Power (L+R):

Battery Mode (Portable Mode):

Balanced:
3000mw (16Ω)
2100mw (32Ω)
1100mw (100Ω)
450mw (300Ω)

Single-Ended:
1200mw (16Ω)
700mw (32Ω)
440mw (100Ω)
200mw (300Ω)

Desktop Mode (Linear power supply):

Balanced :
4900mw (16Ω)
3200mw (32Ω)
2000mw (100Ω)
990mw (300Ω)

Single-Ended :
1980mw (16Ω)
1400mw (32Ω)
900mw (100Ω)
480mw (300Ω)
Nice this is way cheaper than the 700usd Centrance Ampersand, although Ampersand clocks 6w at 48 ohms

Aug 13, 2022 at 12:35 AM Post #62,771 of 75,613
Wow, I have never seen such output power, though it might be because I mostly look at portable stuffs.

So I went to Aliexpress to buy amp. In the end, I didn’t get any amp but a bunch of tools and drivers :dt880smile:
The thing I found about the Kaei Tap-1s is that you need to feed it a nice strong signal to start off with. If you don't then you can turn the volume to max and still have low output volume. I've input line level (approx 1.2volts) audio and that was a good starting point. I've also fed it lower level audio and output sounded good, but not loud. The real charm of the Tap-1s is the tubey 2nd harmonics sound which is pleasant to listen too. If you're going to use it for measurements, it would be better to bypass the tubes with the bypass switch. It is a hybrid amp, tube and solid state like many of the DAPs that have Nu-tubes on board, but it's only an amp. As part of its output stage it uses dual MUSES02 op-amps, one for each channel. The MUSES02 amps actually don't have the very best specs, but they are designed / tuned for good musicality. The op-amps can be swapped out, but the height clearance is sort of low between the board and housing, so you couldn't use a Burson V5i op-amp (too high). You would be stuck with using only flat dual inline package (DIP) op-amps.

Aug 13, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #62,772 of 75,613

Many congratulations on both the big bonus and your recent acquisitions! Enjoy the experiences!

Aug 13, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #62,773 of 75,613

Portables are capable of that amount of power (only compared to when that is in battery mode though), though they will probably have to be high end stuff. :sunglasses:

Still I am wondering how that would sound?! And it is a hybrid to boot... <drools>

One word, WOW! You have to be feeling like you have died and gone to heaven?! Do let us know your thoughts on them?!

Aug 13, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #62,774 of 75,613
Many congratulations on both the big bonus and your recent acquisitions! Enjoy the experiences!
Thanks! Hey, so I see you have a pair if RW-2000s. I got to try them briefly and I actually really liked them. When I was putting in my order I got the RW-3000 so I could try it and possibly decide between the two for a keeper. Have you tried the RW-3k at all? If so any chance you want to give me a short comparison between the 2k and 3k?

Aug 13, 2022 at 12:40 AM Post #62,775 of 75,613
Concur, this is one area where flathead earbuds (and tiny DDs) can and do really succeed in compared to other transducer mediums and driver types. Once understood and accustomed to, earbuds and their mini DDs, do offer an airy, wide-open, speaker-like presentation with natural-sounding timbre and layered imaging. Although IEMs, with either their enclosed mini DDs, BAs, hybrids, etc., can be super detailed (resolution) monsters with excellent FR retrieval they do tend to sacrifice air and openness in order to achieve it and thus why they may exhibit elements of that restrained tiny sound you speak of. There are pros and cons with all transducer mediums... it's just that IEM fanatics tend to not want to discuss (or even want to admit) the cons of their preferred transducer medium.
Yeah, well, there's a reason that musicians use bass. Wish your earbuds came even close to carrying that to you.

I'm not a "fanatic" but I do want to hear what musicians have worked so long to generate and mix. I tried a few oh-wow budget recommendations here and was not impressed, to put it mildly. It's not just details (above); it's punch (below). Give me IEM irritation over earbud tinniness/rolloff anytime.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back