Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 25, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #51,811 of 75,348
What sources are you guys using for your buds?

Currently using this setup for the X6: Topping E30 -> JDS ol switch -> Schiit Asgard 3
(10 usd bud with a 350 usd source setup lol)

But it isnt much better than it is on the JDS atom amp instead of the Asgard 3, so I guess the X6 doesnt scale much higher than this.
I’m using a Oppo Ha2se and a LG V40. It’s not the most powerful though it works well enough for connecting to all my devices.

Jan 25, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #51,812 of 75,348
Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #51,813 of 75,348
[QUOTE = "furyossa, publicación: 16131139, miembro: 525994"]
BTR5 probablemente conducirá DIY 600ohm Bery sin ningún problema
[/CITAR]
[QUOTE = "WoodyLuvr, publicación: 16131114, miembro: 424446"]
Últimamente, FiiO BTR5 y Meizu HiFi PRO
[/ CITAR]

E1DA 9038sg3
Fiio BTR3k
Tempotec sonata HD and HD pro +V1
Xduoo X3II
Sony NW a105

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:16 AM Post #51,814 of 75,348
When I was into earbuds I got the VE Monks, MrZ Tomahawks and VE Zen LL and and stopped buying, Tomahawks died and I still very much enjoy the other two. I'd love to try the higher MrZ, K's or rose earbuds, they seem to get more attention nowadays than VE.

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #51,815 of 75,348
Why Earbuds?

A rather poignant subject for a many flathead aficionado this list of "whys" better explains our affliction and infatuation with open-air micro transducers. Earbuds aka 'Flatheads' are a non-isolating member of the personal earphone family which includes In-Ear Monitors (IEMs), Clip-On Ear Hooks, and Monoaural Side Earplugs.

• comfort (easy-to-fit; lightweight and cool for extended listening)
  • mobility (robust build; easily transportable; minimalist footprint)
  • open-air (airy speaker-like presentation; natural-sounding timbre)
  • non-occluding (non-isolating for optimal 'situational awareness')
  • hygienic (easy-to-clean; low-cost, easily replaceable foam cushions)
  • price-performance (excellent value and return on your money)
  • variety (wide assortment of colors, impedances, and signatures)
  • diy potential (straightforward build process; affordable components)
  • low-profile (defeats all known partner reconnaissance technologies)

As always, I am open to any/all corrections and/or suggestions! :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #51,816 of 75,348
Why Earbuds?
by @AllHead-fiers

Being a rather poignant subject for a many earbud aficionado I thought it would be timely to create a list of "whys" to help better explain our affliction and infatuation with earbuds.

Comfort
Mobility-Transportability
Low Fatigue
Non-Isolating (as in improved "situational awareness")
Airy Soundstage
Natural Timbre
Price to Performance Ratio
Low-Profile (as in being able to fly under current "wife" radar technologies)

I will expand the list with more details once I receive more input and advice... I am open to any/all corrections and/or suggestions! :wink:
Comfort: Rests on your ears, instead of digging deep like iems do. Heat doesnt get generated as much and since most buds are pretty lightweight, fatigue is almost non-existent.

Soundstage: Very big and generally much bigger than iems and at the same time feels very airy.

Timbre: Excells at having natural timbre, that plus the huge and airy soundstage makes for a very natural sound.

Value: High value since even buds at the sub 10 usd range are generally extremely good and in my opinion (after having 66 iems) no iem rivals buds at that price range.

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #51,817 of 75,348
Wonder if the BTR5 is enough power for most buds.
unless you're using 300ohm an up earbuds, i think the BTR5 is sufficient.
those high impedance earbuds might be also have enough volume with the BTR5's high gain setting
BTR5 will probably drive DIY 600ohm Bery without any problem
Concur with @furyossa regarding the FiiO BTR5 being able to drive most 600 ohm earbuds (if in balanced mode via the 2.5mm jack) as their drivers are typically rather sensitive... being well over 100 dB/mW.

Currently, my hardest to drive earbuds our my 2.5mm Balanced Crystalcore Audio Kryptonites (150Ω @ 95 dB/mW) and I only use the low gain mode on my FiiO BTR5 with more than half the volume available and they run with plenty of volume remaining on my mate's FiiO BTR3K though in High Power mode. My most demanding earbuds ever were my Puresounds PS100-600S (600Ω @ 93 dB/mW) and although I did not yet have my FiiO BTR5 I did use them with my mate's FiiO BTR3 in High Power mode and they were driven beautifully.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #51,818 of 75,348
[QUOTE = "furyossa, publicación: 16131139, miembro: 525994"]
BTR5 probablemente conducirá DIY 600ohm Bery sin ningún problema
[/CITAR]
[QUOTE = "WoodyLuvr, publicación: 16131114, miembro: 424446"]
Últimamente, FiiO BTR5 y Meizu HiFi PRO
[/ CITAR]

E1DA 9038sg3
Fiio BTR3k
Tempotec sonata HD and HD pro +V1
Xduoo X3II
Sony NW a105
"BTR5 probablemente conducirá DIY 600ohm Bery sin ningún problema" Is this how I sound in Spanish? :wink: Let me try again but with your DAC/Amp gems
El E1DA 9038sg3 es mucho más potente que el BTR5 y conducirá el Bery 600ohm sin ningún problema. Please tell me if this is correct?

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #51,819 of 75,348
"BTR5 probablemente conducirá DIY 600ohm Bery sin ningún problema" Is this how I sound in Spanish? :wink: Let me try again but with your DAC/Amp gems
El E1DA 9038sg3 es mucho más potente que el BTR5 y conducirá el Bery 600ohm sin ningún problema. Please tell me if this is correct?

It will drive 600 ohm without problem, with outstanding clarity, but ... always with balanced cable, hence you will be looking for mmcx.

Yes, that's how you sound in Spanish, hahaha

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #51,820 of 75,348
Jan 25, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #51,822 of 75,348
:)

I'll try to write up something in the next couple hours detailing a community-based project.

I have a bunch of interviews tomorrow to prepare for. :frowning2:
I was originally going to write up a detailed description and post it on a website, but the interview prep is taking a lot of time (also preparing a scope of work doc for a consulting project.)

Here it is in a nutshell

Sam's Community-based Submission Project for Earbuds!

Ultimate Meta Purpose:

1. Elevate earbuds into top tier audiophile awareness
2. Increase innovation from earbud manufacturers by increasing market demand, particularly in the Western Hemisphere.
3. Allow for higher consistency in the "wow" experience for first-time buds users (mostly likely coming from iems or headphones.)

More Practical Purpose of the Project:
1. Create a repository of FR graphs for earbuds. (I realize accuracy will always be an issue, but for comparative purposes and compensation file generation I think I have controls to minimize the variance enough for a positive impact.)
2. Allow anyone with a calibrated mic (ie. dayton imm-6) to submit measurements.
3. Generate wavelet, GEQ and PEQ files for every bud in the repository.

I know there may be a million questions about this project. After I get the site up (it's going to look ugly) and get cringraph integrated, I'll answer any questions and invite active discussion.

Jan 25, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #51,823 of 75,348
What sources are you guys using for your buds?

Currently using this setup for the X6: Topping E30 -> JDS ol switch -> Schiit Asgard 3
(10 usd bud with a 350 usd source setup lol)

But it isnt much better than it is on the JDS atom amp instead of the Asgard 3, so I guess the X6 doesnt scale much higher than this.
my chain:
phone or laptop --> peace or wavelet --> meridian explorer / oppo ha2 / headamp pico amp/dac / btr3 / qudelix 5k / sonata hd pro --> earbuds

Jan 25, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #51,824 of 75,348
I was originally going to write up a detailed description and post it on a website, but the interview prep is taking a lot of time (also preparing a scope of work doc for a consulting project.)

Here it is in a nutshell

Sam's Community-based Submission Project for Earbuds!

Ultimate Meta Purpose:

1. Elevate earbuds into top tier audiophile awareness
2. Increase innovation from earbud manufacturers by increasing market demand, particularly in the Western Hemisphere.
3. Allow for higher consistency in the "wow" experience for first-time buds users (mostly likely coming from iems or headphones.)

More Practical Purpose of the Project:
1. Create a repository of FR graphs for earbuds. (I realize accuracy will always be an issue, but for comparative purposes and compensation file generation I think I have controls to minimize the variance enough for a positive impact.)
2. Allow anyone with a calibrated mic (ie. dayton imm-6) to submit measurements.
3. Generate wavelet, GEQ and PEQ files for every bud in the repository.

I know there may be a million questions about this project. After I get the site up (it's going to look ugly) and get cringraph integrated, I'll answer any questions and invite active discussion.

edit: my suggestion was already provided ...

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #51,825 of 75,348
Nicehck B40 users

If you're on wavelet or peace/apo let me know how this new file sounds?

There are a handful of buds (3-4) that do not equalize well with the files AutoEQ outputs. There are a couple of reasons for this, but I won't go into that here. The region affected is post 10khz. In the past, lowering the EQ strength or using the "compress" button in Peace helped the compensation file to still improve the sound a bit.

It turns out that my initial approach to generating AutoEQ files with a 10k ceiling was flawed. Here are the proper files. I'm testing them out today. Let me know what you think. By the way, this approach of limited EQ to 20hz -10khz is also a part how I'll be generating compensations files for submissions via my community project.

Attachments

• nicehck b40 FixedBandEQ v1.5 10k.txt
    470 bytes · Views: 0
  • nicehck b40 PEQ v1.5 10k.txt
    326 bytes · Views: 0
  • nicehck b40 wavelet v1.5 10k.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back