Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 25, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #51,841 of 75,342
Why Earbuds?
by @AllHead-fiers

Being a rather poignant subject for a many earbud aficionado I thought it would be timely to create a list of "whys" to help better explain our affliction and infatuation with earbuds.

Comfort
Mobility-Transportability
Low Fatigue
Non-Isolating (as in improved "situational awareness")
Airy Soundstage
Natural Timbre
Price to Performance Ratio
Low-Profile (as in being able to fly under all known and current "wife" radar technologies)

I will expand the list with more details once I receive more input and advice... I am open to any/all corrections and/or suggestions! :wink:
Comfort: typically super light weight
Airy soundstage: this was probably the most unexpected to me coming from IEMs. Like SamL has mentioned before, its really hard to describe
Design: one thing that surprised me is how variable earbuds can look vs IEMs. I can almost have a rainbow of chifi earbuds!
Blon is a good example, also with its new models, they invest in their shells, innovate with the resonance in each new model, and also maintain the best quality price on the market.

But, the iem reflection also has a very bad thing, and that is that from € 100 (in my opinion of course) every small improvement in the sound (call it whatever you want air, separation, stage, "intangible technicalities", that you prefer), it translates into twice the price of the previous model which is only slightly worse ... that is, it is not justified.
A couple years ago, I'm probably disagree with you. Though gosh, these Blons are not just hype. I got their cheapest model (Bl-01) and it smashes my 2 year old Kz flagship which cost double (KS7). It really makes me curious about midfi ($100-300ish) chifi but thats probably a rabbit hole I'm best avoiding...
Exactly.
I only have a BL-03 and and I "hate" it :relaxed: because every time I take some earbud after listening to BL-03 it seems to me that every model is bad. The good thing is that the brain quickly returns to normal. A really impressive IEM but I still prefer buds
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that. Listening to $24 BL-01 made me really sad about my ST-10s Gold. Though at the same time, it made me remember how big of a pain tip fitment and I did start to miss that earbud open feeling.

Jan 25, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #51,842 of 75,342
Since you already got a blueooth dac/amp, why not get a portable dac/amp instead? Like the ifi Hip-dac, less redundancy for you and more power output.

I'm sure that thing sounds awesome, but alas it wouldn't work for me. Before discovering good bluetooth receivers, I had dacs connected to my phone and I loved the sound, but I hated being tethered to my phone.

I have the cable of my buds run down my back (under my shirt) and connected into a bluetooth receiver which is clipped onto my belt. My phone can then be wherever it needs to be (ie on my desk getting charged, across the room, being used as a camera) without being encumbered by a cable.

Jan 25, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #51,843 of 75,342
I'm sure that thing sounds awesome, but alas it wouldn't work for me. Before discovering good bluetooth receivers, I had dacs connected to my phone and I loved the sound, but I hated being tethered to my phone.

I have the cable of my buds run down my back (under my shirt) and connected into a bluetooth receiver which is clipped onto my belt. My phone can then be wherever it needs to be (ie on my desk getting charged, across the room, being used as a camera) without being encumbered by a cable.
Understandable, thats my reason for not getting a portable dac/amp as well (besides already having a better portable source being the Ibasso DX160).

You can check this thread for more info on blueooth dac/amps. personally I would go for the Qudelix 5k because it has PEQ.

Jan 25, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #51,845 of 75,342
I ordered the last datura pro on amazon, hope it is good.

Which is better, the parametric or graphical eq?

Has anyone tried convolutional eqs?
Parametric EQ gives you more options. Like being able to use low/high-shelf filters and also allow you to change the Q value.

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #51,846 of 75,342
I ordered the last datura pro on amazon, hope it is good.

Which is better, the parametric or graphical eq?

Has anyone tried convolutional eqs?
You'll love the Datura Pro's. If you don't I can help you dial in the sound profile you like. I'm actually going to try an experiment later in the week where I normalize the DP to the Fiio EM5 FR graph and a couple headphones as well just out of curiosity.

Parametric is better than graphical eq because the various PEQ parameters are more specific than GEQ correction variables.

tmusic plastic.png

For example, the correction curve for the above earbud is in green. There are two representations in the green curve -- 1. GEQ correction in the dotted line; and 2. PEQ correction in the solid line. Notice the solid line has less variability along the target correction curve. In reality, if you were to correct the FR of a bud with GEQ and measure the results the FR can look even wavier than in the example above.

Regarding convolution, I used to run them all the time when I used to use viper4android on my rooted phones. Technically the can be even more accurate than PEQ for certain recordings, but the results are essentially identical in practice. Out of habit I also generate convolution files for all my compensation work. I've just never posted them before.

Oratory did a write up on the difference here: https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/comments/go2grd/convolution_eqs_what_are_they_what_problems_do/

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #51,847 of 75,342
You'll love the Datura Pro's. If you don't I can help you dial in the sound profile you like. I'm actually going to try an experiment later in the week where I normalize the DP to the Fiio EM5 FR graph and a couple headphones as well just out of curiosity.

Parametric is better than graphical eq because the various PEQ parameters are more specific than GEQ correction variables.

tmusic plastic.png

For example, the correction curve for the above earbud is in green. There are two representations in the green curve -- 1. GEQ correction in the dotted line; and 2. PEQ correction in the solid line. Notice the solid line has less variability along the target correction curve. In reality, if you were to correct the FR of a bud with GEQ and measure the results the FR can look even wavier than in the example above.

Regarding convolution, I used to run them all the time when I used to use viper4android on my rooted phones. Technically the can be even more accurate than PEQ for certain recordings, but the results are essentially identical in practice. Out of habit I also generate convolution files for all my compensation work. I've just never posted them before.

Oratory did a write up on the difference here: https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/comments/go2grd/convolution_eqs_what_are_they_what_problems_do/
Is the Datura Pro's shell larger than MX500 (15.4mm)? Cause that's the only thing stopping me from ordering them.

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #51,848 of 75,342
This is my 5 cents about comfort
Comfort = ergonomic design of the shell + accessories (foams, hooks and cable)
Most shells consist of two parts:
- the front part of the shell that carries the driver (Head)
- and the rear part (Stem)
Both parts are very important for overall comfort, the shell also has a great influence on the sound, and it primarily depends on the vent system, cavity size and the material of the shell.

We'll start from the "head". One of the most common forms of driver cover is MX500 (for 15.4mm drivers) and another version with metal mesh.
PK cover is used for smaller driver diameters (14.8mm).
Many well-known manufacturers have their own "original" design that deviates to a greater extent from the standard MX500/PK covers. Also they use additional rubber rings or extensions to improve comfort or to provide a connection between the driver and the shell.
Now, the main head part can also have different shapes and cavity size, which is good because different drivers require a different space in which it will work optimally.
I have already mentioned concave, convex arcs and angular sides of shells and their impact on optimal fit. The vent system located in this part (near the driver) is mainly intended for midrange tuning, while the back of the shell is often used for tuning the bass.
Another case would be when the stem is used as a base for female connector (MMCX, 2-Pin etc.) whereby a "rigid" connection is established between the shell and the cable.
By "elastic" connection is meant when the cable passes freely through the stem and is connected directly to the driver. This type of connection is the most optimal solution
in terms of comfort itself when it comes to shells with a long stem.
In terms of accessories, foams are one of the most important accessories used for better comfort and fit, they do not disturb the sound and protect the driver from moisture.
The foam itself can have different densities. We also often see silicone covers, rings and extensions used instead of foams. In order to achieve the best possible fit, we often see silicone hooks in sports buds or even headband (example Sennheiser MX 685 Sports and Sennheiser PX 685i Adidas).
Finally, we should mention the cables themselves, which endanger the fit with their weight. Based on this fact, many manufacturers use very thin cables to avoid this problem.
Avoiding this problem, they encounter the following: tangling and microphonics. To avoid all common problems, today we often see braided cables with 4,6,8,16 cores.
I will not start the topic of how cables affect sound because it is irrelevant for comfort itself. Many will disagree with me but in my opinion 4-core is enough for any type of earbuds, whether it is replacement cables with connectors or fixed cable, balanced or SE. Why? It's light and elegant that's why:yum:.
Joke aside, I'm not a fan of thin cables either, but in terms of comfort, 4-core cable has no competition, of course I'll take 6-core into account.
Most 8-core cables cannot pass through the stem and have a large weight as a replacement cable with a connectors. For models that require wearing over the ear, this is not a problem, but for models with a str8 up cable, well...
16-core cables are total overkill and in addition, apart from aesthetics, they do not have a noticeable difference in sound quality in relation to the previously mentioned cables with less cores.
I don't know... for someone who has said they do not speak/write English well, you're posts have such encyclopedic information, I think you're lying. :)

Super-informative as always!

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #51,849 of 75,342
Is the Datura Pro's shell larger than MX500 (15.4mm)? Cause that's the only thing stopping me from ordering them.
I'm terrible with exact shell sizes. I'll leave that to @furyossa to answer since he's constantly thinking about shells and their design. I know the driver for the Datura Pro is smaller than the mx500 driver, though

Jan 25, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #51,850 of 75,342
Just got the Tmusic plastic version. I know the wood version was mentioned several times in this thread back in Nov. I actually ordered these back in November and they just now came in. lol

It's got a really goofy FR that sounds more V-shaped than any other bud I've heard. However the upper mid recession is a bit much. The beryllium driver in this bud sounds like it has good technical potential, very clear and transparent with good/decent bass response in its stock tuning. I'll give them a listen over the next couple days in it's stock form and compensated.

tmusic bery plastic.jpg

**edit**
I just realized that headfi'ers coming from iems might see this graph and not associate it with a v-shaped sound. But in the world of earbuds, this is what a warm v-shaped sound profile looks like. Pinna gain with earbuds is considerable different as compared to iems.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #51,851 of 75,342
Just got the Tmusic plastic version. I know the wood version was mentioned several times in this thread back in Nov. I actually ordered these back in November and they just now came in. lol

It's got a really goofy FR that sounds more V-shaped than any other bud I've heard. However the upper mid recession is a bit much. The beryllium driver in this bud sounds like it has good technical potential, very clear and transparent with good/decent bass response in its stock tuning. I'll give them a listen over the next couple days in it's stock form and compensated.

Yeah, this is a good one to compensate. I'm also finding that if I limit the EQ to 10khz, there's less of a reason to compress or lower the eq strength significantly. For the time being, I'll likely just generate files for the 20hz to 10khz range.

**edit**
kind of funny how they ship these buds with absolutely no branding -- no packing slip, no brand on the packaging (just comes in the shipping box with the buds inside the case.)

I had to scroll through my aliexpress purchase history and compare the buds with product photos to figure out what they were. lol

1611658319794.png

Attachments

• tmusic plastic FixedBandEQ v1.5 10k.txt
    470 bytes · Views: 0
  • tmusic plastic PEQ v1.5 10k.txt
    323 bytes · Views: 0
  • tmusic plastic wavelet v1.5 10k.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 25, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #51,853 of 75,342
What sources are you guys using for your buds?

A bit of an overkill, at home I'm using a MusicBee Windows Player -> Khadas Tone Board -> Topping L30 amp for most of my earbuds. So far the Topping L30 hasn't exploded haha (there are some forum reports about ESD blowing up IEMs and headphones), but Topping is currently in the midst of replacing the older models which don't have ESD/DC protection. Anyways most of the earbuds I have are sub $20 so even if it explodes, the audio nirvana with the Topping L30 is worth it!

On the go, I use a Shanling Q1 DAP or Tempotec Sonata HD Pro via smartphone. Can't drive high impedance earbuds satisfactorily but oh wells.

Why Earbuds?
by @AllHead-fiers

Being a rather poignant subject for a many earbud aficionado I thought it would be timely to create a list of "whys" to help better explain our affliction and infatuation with earbuds.

Comfort
Mobility-Transportability
Low Fatigue
Non-Isolating (as in improved "situational awareness")
Airy Soundstage
Natural Timbre
Price to Performance Ratio
Low-Profile (as in being able to fly under all known and current "wife" radar technologies)

I will expand the list with more details once I receive more input and advice... I am open to any/all corrections and/or suggestions! :wink:

I like earbuds for a few reasons:

1) Better soundstage than IEMs - earbuds are more akin to open backed headphones than IEMs IMHO. But you don't get the clamp or earpad heat of headphones, and also those with spectacles may find earbuds more ergonomic than headphones.
2) Generally good price to performance ratio compared to IEMs and headphones - $10 - 20 can get you very decent sound, $50 - 100 can get u midfi buds, and even $100 - 200 can get you TOTL earbuds, in contrast to the higher price range for IEMs/headphones in the midfi/TOTL brackets.
3) Generally good timbre for acoustic instruments - no surprise as most earbuds contain DD.
4) Good for those that can't fit IEMs or get ear infections/abrasions with IEMs.
5) MOST IMPORTANT POINT - EARBUDS ARE GOOD FOR HIDING AUDIO GEAR FROM THE WIFE. IT IS A VERY GOOD AUDIO STEALTH TECHNOLOGY. MUCH EASIER TO HIDE THAN HEADPHONES.
6) Situational awareness as some say - this is a double edged sword though as the poorer isolation of earbuds can get subbass to be lost, or one can end up turning up the volume to compensate for the poor isolation when outdoors (and this is not good for hearing health).

Jan 26, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #51,854 of 75,342
DaturaPro uses 14.8mm aluminum coated driver. Also, you can wear them over ears
BTW... the only reason you shouldn't order them is if you don't plan to use EQ correction

Jan 26, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #51,855 of 75,342
DaturaPro uses 14.8mm aluminum coated driver. Also, you can wear them over ears
BTW... the only reason you shouldn't order them is if you don't plan to use EQ correction
Thanks! I thought it looked bigger/chunkier than MX500 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back