Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 26, 2021 at 6:59 AM Post #51,872 of 75,375
Sure! Here it is https://shopee.ph/product/283086553/7977281648?smtt=0.174314985-1611660233.9
Though as far as I'm aware Shopee's only for SEA.
I also noticed the things you pointed out. Their other buds were criticized to lack bass and I guess this should solve it? Okay, that doesn't even make sense 🀣. It should still be bass-anemic. But how does the driver breathe?
The bass will be reduced without any vent. But that's not the only problem. I never saw a Ti driver with shrinked (50Hz) low end. Maybe is typo.
For the shell they use copper which is good material for non-resonant shells but 25gr weight with that "edge" will probably cause discomfort after a short time

EP08.jpg

Jan 26, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #51,873 of 75,375
The bass will be reduced without any vent. But that's not the only problem. I never saw a Ti driver with shrinked (50Hz) low end. Maybe is typo.

LOL maybe they are telling the truth about subbass roll off in most earbud designs.

I always chuckle when I see some CHIFI manufacturers try to claim a 10 Hz - 40000 Hz FR. Perhaps those IEMs and buds would be very suited for our bat and dolphin friends, to appreciate those extreme frequencies.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #51,874 of 75,375
LOL maybe they are telling the truth about subbass roll off in most earbud designs.

I always chuckle when I see some CHIFI manufacturers try to claim a 10 Hz - 40000 Hz FR. Perhaps those IEMs and buds would be very suited for our bat and dolphin friends, to appreciate those extreme frequencies.
No, no that is for small fish and sharks :) For dolphins these two are perfect :wink: Sony IER-Z1R and Technics EAH-TZ700 (the brothers in F.R: 3Hz-100kHz) :dolphin:

Jan 26, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #51,875 of 75,375
Got these during the 11/11 sale but never got around to listening and measuring them.

Toneking TP16 32 ohm compensation files here.

Here's what's being corrected:

toneking tp16 stock vs 1.5 bass vs 1.5 neutral.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #51,876 of 75,375
For the shell they use copper which is good material for non-resonant shells but 25gr weight with that "edge" will probably cause discomfort after a short time

All in all, EP08 pros and cons
pors:
- price
- build quality
- "exotic" driver (15.4mm Ti) N52
- detachable cable with matching mmcx housing
cons:
- design of the shell:
---- not so great ergonomics
---- no vents = bye bye bass
---- this type of shell can block rear wave and cause congested sound. That depends on the construction of the drivers (for standard MX500 typs is not good)
- weight (material like copper and brass have good characteristics but they are too heavy)
- cut - off low end
- sensitivity is too high for 32ohm

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #51,877 of 75,375
All in all, EP08 pros and cons
pors:
- price
- build quality
- "exotic" driver (15.4mm Ti) N52
- detachable cable with matching mmcx housing
cons:
- design of the shell:
---- not so great ergonomics
---- no vents = bye bye bass
---- this type of shell can block rear wave and cause congested sound. That depends on the construction of the drivers (for standard MX500 typs is not good)
- weight (material like copper and brass have good characteristics but is too heavy)
- cut - off low end
- sensitivity is too great for 32ohm
Holy crap! Now that you mentioned the sensitivity, it's freakinG HIGH! But I do wonder if it was just bad translation or typographical errors. I remember seeing the EP05 listed at 320 ohms.

Jan 26, 2021 at 8:38 AM Post #51,878 of 75,375
Holy crap! Now that you mentioned the sensitivity, it's freakinG HIGH! But I do wonder if it was just bad translation or typographical errors. I remember seeing the EP05 listed at 320 ohms.
Your link and link on Ali have the same spec. So I don't think that is typo. IMHO 125dB is too much even for 600ohm driver (15.4mm)

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #51,879 of 75,375
The Fiio EM5s continue to impress me. I wonder if the reason they are not mentioned more here is due to their price? Yet they are actually really cheap when compared to most of the IEMs discussed here at Head-fi, so I am more than happy to pay this.

Seems a bit of a disjunct between this earphone niche, with its "Hey I got 12 new Chi-fi earbuds for $0.50 all in." and the IEM crew with their "Hey I got this 12 driver Lithuanian IEM carved out of pure unobtanium and it was so affordable at $5k."

Jan 26, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #51,880 of 75,375
The Fiio EM5s continue to impress me. I wonder if the reason they are not mentioned more here is due to their price? Yet they are actually really cheap when compared to most of the IEMs discussed here at Head-fi, so I am more than happy to pay this.

Seems a bit of a disjunct between this earphone niche, with its "Hey I got 12 new Chi-fi earbuds for $0.50 all in." and the IEM crew with their "Hey I got this 12 driver Lithuanian IEM carved out of pure unobtanium and it was so affordable at $5k."

Do the EM5 have good low ends? I'm seriously considering ordering a pair of these the weather is getting a bit too warm for headphones around these parts...

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #51,881 of 75,375

I don't have EM5 fiio, but iem or bud, € 250 is at least a very important effort for me / my economy. On the other hand, regardless of the budget, at least I do not see the sense of accumulating iems or in this case buds, I pursue more the objective of using them to listen to music.

Jan 26, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #51,883 of 75,375

Hard not to notice people want the isolation and heck even noise cancelling so open buds are not the popular kid. EM5 are not popular due to both price combined with a fixed cable which is something that is a deal breaker for many.

I think you are wrong and most of the IEMs talked about are in that range since the majority of people don't have a lot of money esp. right now. The Fiio brother FD5 is talked about, LZ A7, IE 300, MT300, DM8, Tea, H40, etc. Think there is still more talk of budget than the expensive ones as well. More talk about Blon's than A8000 and Luna. Of course reviews for that stuff maybe be more elaborate and the companies posting more about that expensive stuff as well but real talk is mostly that $300 price and below.

Jan 26, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #51,884 of 75,375
Most definitely. The price bracket differences is huge! Someone posted earlier that $50-100 gets you midfi buds, while $100-300 is hifi buds. And we all know that $300 barely scratches midfi as far as IEMs go... I kind of hope we get more EM5 competitors to drive competition. Even if it doesn't get the price down, itll be nice to at least have comparisons as to how things sound.

I think you are wrong and most of the IEMs talked about are in that range since the majority of people don't have a lot of money esp. right now. The Fiio brother FD5 is talked about, LZ A7, IE 300, MT300, DM8, Tea, H40, etc. Think there is still more talk of budget than the expensive ones as well. More talk about Blon's than A8000 and Luna. Of course reviews for that stuff maybe be more elaborate and the companies posting more about that expensive stuff as well but real talk is mostly that $300 price and below.
I definitely agree. Though that otherhand that Z1R thread is getting lengthy :sweat_smile: I do think its easy to get swept up in expensive stuff especially as you see pricey stuff discussion float to the top of more recent threads. <$300 chifi iems have gotten really good in the last 2 years or so. Like I still remember when <$100 got you either ridiculously V shaped or muddy sounding IEMs, with $300 being acceptable/good. And now <$100 is a huge value proposition and easily good or even great sounding (minus technicalities), while <$300 gets you 90% the tone of a TOTL and 80-90% of the technicalities.

Jan 26, 2021 at 1:33 PM Post #51,885 of 75,375
I don't know why you keep trying to compare "sharks" and "dolphins" over and over again.
They both swim in the ocean, but they're totally different species.

:shark: vs :dolphin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back