Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 26, 2020 at 11:11 PM Post #51,181 of 75,879
For those of you that don't frequent the TWS or DIY threads, I made another pair of TWS earbuds. Even more convenient in these unfortunate times having to wear masks.

IMG_20201224_175137.jpg

IMG_20201224_174201.jpg

Drivers are 14.8mm diameter, w/N55 magnets and are 64Ω.
Original drivers are bio-cellulose, 14.2mm and 32Ω.
Pic of my other pair of the same drivers when I made a different pair of earbuds.
IMG_20200512_112454.jpg

Sabbat oem driver, courtesy of 52audio
http://www.52audio.com/archives/6752.html
魔宴真无线耳机-29.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #51,182 of 75,879
Couple of recommendation for anyone shopping on taobao this 1111, not particularly good deals on them, but worth picking up if you're shipping other stuff already.

Hana DIY:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...1KSP9&id=601978706007&ns=1&abbucket=13#detail

An earbud with actual pinna gain, the rise is a bit late but magnitude is good, overall good technicalities, a bit pricey but well tuned and good technical performance puts this at upper second tier or lower first tier in my book. Gives a lot of flagship qualities at midrange price.

HE 150PRO:

I don't known why this has been on my shelf forgotten for so long, it's an awesome sounding bud. I remember considering it slightly honky, but I think that was just me not being used to an earbud with pinna gain, there does seem to be some chamber resonance though, so maybe that contributed as well. The graph is beautiful and it sounds as good as it looks, pinna gain positions mids correctly, if not a bit forward and aggressive, technicalities are not bad, good treble extension and surprisingly good bass extension and good punch. Awesome staging due to the open back design, might be one of the biggest stages in terms of raw size for earbuds, but unlike flagships like the EM5 and Turandot, it lacks the sense of scale to back up the stage size. Idiot me dropped it and damaged the left driver right after listening to it again and measuring it, but I like it enough that I'll be ordering another :joy:
Any chance you'd be able to graph the EM5 and compare FR with HE 150PRO?

Dec 27, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #51,184 of 75,879
Can anyone share opinion about the difference in sound between Smabat ST-10s black/silver vs black/gold?
There have been some very nice and "well-trusted" comparisons posted earlier in this thread. Quite numerous in fact as it is/was a very popular earbud. Using the thread search window simply type in "Smabat ST-10s black/silver black/gold" or some variant of that and you will find your requested comparisons :wink:

1609128493528.png

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 12:04 AM Post #51,185 of 75,879
Got it, thnx) Have another question for experienced erbuds users: what earbuds, to your opinion, reminds you the most - the performance and overall feeling of the "classical" OEM, like HD600/650/800?
I'm mostly listening OEM for the last few years and now want to start the quest with earbuds, as I heard that some of them might be really close to OEM in terms of overall sound feeling and signature.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #51,186 of 75,879
Got it, thnx) Have another question for experienced erbuds users: what earbuds, to your opinion, reminds you the most - the performance and overall feeling of the "classical" OEM, like HD600/650/800?
I'm mostly listening OEM for the last few years and now want to start the quest with earbuds, as I heard that some of them might be really close to OEM in terms of overall sound feeling and signature.
Yes, earbuds are closer to open-backs while IEMs tend to be more similar to closed-back headphones in their designed/offered sound signature. Where earbuds tend to really shine is in: soundstage (larger/wider); imaging (improved/clearer timbre); and comfort (cooler, lighter, less irritating).

Many have likened the Blur house sound to the neutral, well timbre'd, and detailed Sennheiser HD600, I would agree with this (more about Blur here)
Many here on this thread have described the VE Zen 2 as being close to the sound signature of HD650.
Other earbuds that many consider to mimic the Sennheiser house sound (YMMV) are Shozy BK; Ks 600; Ty HP-650; Toneking TO600; and the Yinman 600 (please note that these are all high impedance besides the Shozy :wink: ).

Dec 28, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #51,187 of 75,879
First of all, thank you for a prompt reply with many suggestions!
Second, this is my kinda second attempt - to jump into "buds world", as my previous one (about 2 years ago) didn't achieved much success: I purchased several earbuds and was never impressed with the sound any of them.
I heard about VE Zen 2 and Shozy BK and they are on my list (still considering - which one of 2 will give me better experience).
I'm really surprised about TO600, as I already have it and...can't say that I might describe it's sound signature anything close to HD650...They are actually the best sounding earbuds I ever tried, but still far away from full sized cans in terms of soundstage, details and bass quality/response.

Dec 28, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #51,188 of 75,879
First of all, thank you for a prompt reply with many suggestions!
Second, this is my kinda second attempt - to jump into "buds world", as my previous one (about 2 years ago) didn't achieved much success: I purchased several earbuds and was never impressed with the sound any of them.
I heard about VE Zen 2 and Shozy BK and they are on my list (still considering - which one of 2 will give me better experience).
I'm really surprised about TO600, as I already have it and...can't say that I might describe it's sound signature anything close to HD650...They are actually the best sounding earbuds I ever tried, but still far away from full sized cans in terms of soundstage, details and bass quality/response.

If you are amenable to eq, get the datura pro and use this post for eq files. I have peace/apo PEQ, wavelet and GEQ files.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbud-target-curve-tests.944006/page-10#post-16015098

The result will easily be in the tier of any of the earbuds mentioned.

Dec 28, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #51,189 of 75,879
@elvispreasley All about "the fit" most times when it comes to earbuds. This may or may not explain the Toneking... also, this particular area/subject can be rather subjective at times and most definitely varies from person to person. Although, there are definitely some very bass friendly earbuds out there (e.g. Smabat ST-10s) this is one area (especially deep thumping bass) that earbuds tend to struggle with and a proper fit is super critical here... paramount in fact. This is why IEMs typically trump earbuds in this regard. While detailed bass can be gotten via an earbud a "basshead" would probably prefer to turn to an IEM or closed-back instead.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #51,190 of 75,879
Any chance you'd be able to graph the EM5 and compare FR with HE 150PRO?
I have those graphs in my thread, earbuds test curves.

*edit*
I don't have the he 150pro graph in that thread, just the compensation files. Here it is.

fiio em5 vs he 150pro.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 1:56 PM Post #51,191 of 75,879
Hi there - hope you don't mind me asking
where did you sourced those drivers?
Drivers are 14.8mm diameter, w/N55 magnets and are 64Ω.
I have Ksearphone bell-lb where one side failed - as there is no chance to source original drivers I am thinking of transplant, to resurrect Ksearphone bells in different form.
Or any other suggestions for pair of drivers that would be similar?
Thanx!

Dec 28, 2020 at 3:07 PM Post #51,193 of 75,879
Hi there - hope you don't mind me asking
where did you sourced those drivers?

I have Ksearphone bell-lb where one side failed - as there is no chance to source original drivers I am thinking of transplant, to resurrect Ksearphone bells in different form.
Or any other suggestions for pair of drivers that would be similar?
Thanx!

NSC audio store on AliExpress.

Which version of the K's LB do you have? The older warmer one or the newer V-shaped 2020 one?

If you have the older one and want a warmer bassier signature I'd go with the 40Ω Ti. Treble just takes a step back after 4-6k by about 3-5db.

The 64Ω N55 is more balanced. Well, depending on tuning.

64Ω N55
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32978993535.html

40Ω Ti
https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4001146843093.html

More info here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy-earbuds.822327/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back