Earbud target curve tests
Nov 19, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #136 of 318
Man, you're tempting me to buy a new phone just to try wavelet. :beyersmile:
The only thing I don't like about LG is slow or non-support for Android OS updates.
Another alternative is Sony but I a bit expensive
Hang in there, that Android 10 will hit the LG G7 any day now.

Dec 3, 2020 at 2:26 AM Post #139 of 318
What do you suggest as an alternative to the Wavelet? I use LG G7 and wavelet is not compatible with Android 8. I sometimes use RE_EQ with Deezer and Tidal and with USB Audio Playa a 3rd-party Parametric EQ byToneBoosters
What carrier are you on? I just realized that the G7 has android 10 for korea and usa t-mobile users.

Dec 3, 2020 at 2:27 AM Post #140 of 318
Dec 3, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #141 of 318
What carrier are you on? I just realized that the G7 has android 10 for korea and usa t-mobile users.
Yup. That's the main problem. I don't belong to that lucky group. :slight_frown: No problem because I use more the laptop + DAC/AMP.
Can I ask for a favor? I see you own Fiio EM5. I am a big fan of DIY stuff and what interests me is the design of the shell itself and internals.
Can you PM some close up shots of Fiio shell. The shell is transparent and I hope the interior can be seen.
I will like to try a similar tube system (transmission line) in a future DIY project to see if it really works or is just a gimmick.
A while ago, when Sambat ST-10 came out, we discussed the topic of the transmission line system. T-Line requires a special calculation that depends on several factors
and for earbuds, it's not easy to determine the diameter and length of the T-Line. But what is certain is that the length should be much longer than with the mentioned earbuds.
What fascinates me most about this system is Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus speakers. Warning: don't look at the price:see_no_evil:
Also, these earbuds use interesting technology (it's not T-Line)

Dec 3, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #142 of 318
Target Curve v1.5 for the Faaeal Snow Lotus 1.0+ Commemorative Edition

These buds were my first pair, mainly because they are readily available in my area on Amazon Prime ($13.99 including pretty fast delivery). I've mentioned this before. I'm generating two options for each version release -- a "bass" version and a "neutral" version. Interestingly, the differences are subtle but noticeable upon critical listening.

Funny thing about getting to this point after 9 months of experimenting, there's one simple conclusion: the FR for buds from 20hz to 1k should fundamentally be flat, with some variation in a bass shelf depending on personal taste.

LOL I should of just started with headphone targets in the beginning... stupid me...

Even with a flat 20-1khz FR, there's still plenty of bass.

faaeal snow lotus 1 plus v1.5 comparisons.jpg

**edit**
I'm going to hold off on uploading files because I have no way to track if anyone is actually using them and hence gather feedback. I'll put up a web page soon so I can track download counts and consolidate information so new users don't have to hunt all over the tread to get caught up on what these target curves are all about.

private message me if you want the files, I'm happy to send them over to you as long as you give feedback (can be simple as, "I hate it." "It's ok" "This is awesome!.").

Count me in! They could use a wee bit magic methinks :)

Dec 3, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #143 of 318
Count me in! They could use a wee bit magic methinks :)
Here you go!

I'm running the wavelet neutral version @ 60% eq strength. Weird thing is, I'm hearing better bass on the neutral version than stock tuning. Maybe you can confirm if that's what you're hearing too.

Attachments

• snow lotus 1.0 plus PEQ v1.5 neutral.txt
    468 bytes · Views: 0
  • snow lotus 1.0 plus v1.5 neutral.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
  • snow lotus 1.0 plus PEQ v1.5 bass.txt
    422 bytes · Views: 0
  • snow lotus 1.0 plus v1.5 bass.txt
Dec 3, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #144 of 318
Thanks! I've been sporadic here lately, but I'm going to have to go through this thread to see what I've been missing and what I need to try out :)

Dec 3, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #145 of 318
yeah, with the Faaeal snow lotus 1+, with the neutral version, I'm hearing much better bass texture, not necessarily stronger bass but for sure more definition and clarity. This is compared to stock tuning. The bass technicalities on this bud are fairly poor.

Dec 3, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #146 of 318
Faaeal Datura Pro version 1.5
bass and neutral editions (edit 2/24/21: adding 10k ceiling versions)

I do not have this bud in my possession, so I haven't given it a listen yet. @cenizas provided the graph for correction and @furyossa is giving it a test run before chiming in with his impressions. Thanks to both of them for their help.

The bass roll-off on this bud is pretty significant, so there might not be much difference at all between the bass and neutral versions for this model. Also, given that the correction curve is pretty extreme, depending on the driver quality, you might need to run this at 40% eq strength on wavelet. On peace/apo in windows that will equate to hitting the "compress" button 3 or 4 times.

datura pro stock.jpg

Attachments

• datura pro PEQ v1.5 bass.txt
    420 bytes · Views: 0
  • datura pro v1.5 bass.txt
  • datura pro PEQ v1.5 neutral.txt
    420 bytes · Views: 0
  • datura pro v1.5 neutral.txt
  • datura pro FixedBandEQ v1.5 bass.txt
    466 bytes · Views: 0
  • datura pro FixedBandEQ v1.5 neutral.txt
    466 bytes · Views: 0
  • datura pro FixedBandEQ v1.5 bass 10k.txt
    467 bytes · Views: 0
  • datura pro PEQ v1.5 bass 10k.txt
    324 bytes · Views: 0
  • datura pro wavelet v1.5 bass 10k.txt
  • datura pro wavelet v1.5 neutral 10k.txt
  • datura pro FixedBandEQ v1.5 neutral 10k.txt
    467 bytes · Views: 0
  • datura pro PEQ v1.5 neutral 10k.txt
    325 bytes · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #147 of 318
Yup. That's the main problem. I don't belong to that lucky group. :slight_frown: No problem because I use more the laptop + DAC/AMP.
Can I ask for a favor? I see you own Fiio EM5. I am a big fan of DIY stuff and what interests me is the design of the shell itself and internals.
Can you PM some close up shots of Fiio shell. The shell is transparent and I hope the interior can be seen.
I will like to try a similar tube system (transmission line) in a future DIY project to see if it really works or is just a gimmick.
A while ago, when Sambat ST-10 came out, we discussed the topic of the transmission line system. T-Line requires a special calculation that depends on several factors
and for earbuds, it's not easy to determine the diameter and length of the T-Line. But what is certain is that the length should be much longer than with the mentioned earbuds.
What fascinates me most about this system is Bowers & Wilkins Nautilus speakers. Warning: don't look at the price:see_no_evil:
Also, these earbuds use interesting technology (it's not T-Line)
Ages ago I used to be into product photography. I'll dig up my macro lens and ancient dslr (nikon d50) and snap some close ups of the em5.

Dec 3, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #148 of 318
Faaeal Datura Pro
version 1.5 bass and neutral editions

I do not have this bud in my possession, so I haven't given it a listen yet. @cenizas provided the graph for correction and @furyossa is giving it a test run before chiming in with his impressions. Thanks to both of them for their help.

The bass roll-off on this bud is pretty significant, so there might not be much difference at all between the bass and neutral versions for this model. Also, given that the correction curve is pretty extreme, depending on the driver quality, you might need to run this at 40% eq strength on wavelet. On peace/apo in windows that will equate to hitting the "compress" button 3 or 4 times.

datura pro stock.jpg
Ok, here we go. This may sound a little exaggerated, but it's perfectly normal when you happen to feel goosebumps on the first listening :wink:
Do you know what you did? You have surpassed yourself. You brought the dead sounding earbuds back to life. BOOM!!!
I can't describe in words how bad they sounded before the correction. Like total garbage. I just don’t know how people praised them.
When they apply this correction they will know what I am talking about. When you turn up the volume, you start to feel pain, a distorted sound was unbearable.
I bought these earbuds last year as soon as they came out, they went through the burn-in process (> 40h) without any improvement,
and I didn’t listen to them for even 1 day in total. It is no longer worth talking about bad things so let's talk about good things.

First of all, you need to call the FAAEAL and let them know what you have achieved. Send them a file to hear how should sound flagship earbuds. :smiley: :smile:
Man, seriously, no matter how they sound now, I’m not an expert at judging true sound quality, but I can honestly say the difference is HUGE.
Let's be honest, with this look and build quality they are definitely worth over $30 and with this sound quality (after correction) worth 3 times more.
It can rank easily with earphones in the price range of $100.
BTW...You made a much better correction here than with HE150Pro, maybe because HE150Pro already sounds good and not need too much correction.
If by any chance you have changed the target curve, try again with HE150 (female vocals are a bit thin).
Anyway...I used these PEQ files with Peace. For me personally, no compression is required, only preamp = -6dB.
In fact, I think it's better not to touch anything because compressing only restores the original bad sound.
I didn't notice any difference between the "neutral" and "bass" version. You can leave these "neutral" adjustments.
I was right when I said that this driver has great potential. The aluminum they used as a coating proved to be really good.
If I'm not mistaken, Meze Rai Solo used pure aluminum for the driver's diaphragm, but the technology itself is much more perfect.
They stated the following benefits of aluminum, which can be noticed on the Datura Pro model:
- Low total harmonic distortion :ballot_box_with_check:
- Clear mid-range :ballot_box_with_check:
- Outstanding reproduction of low frequencies :ballot_box_with_check:
I hope that based on my description you can make a purchase decision.
I don't know if it's up to me, but it still feels like the vocals are a little thin. I guess it’s because I don’t use compression. My bad :rolling_eyes:
That's all for now. I am really grateful for all the effort and help around “reviving” the natural sound of earbuds.

Dec 3, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #149 of 318
I don’t want to be intrusive but I think this model deserves a little attention too. This forum not like the name S.E.N.F.E.R. KP120.
This model desperately needs some EQ touch. It uses 3 filters(red,blue,black) for tuning. Nothing special here. The Black filter is OK, the others are not very noteworthy.
KP series has several variants:
- flat head style KP110 (flagship with DLC driver)
- flat head style KP120 (the model we are talking about. it use "protein" driver)
- AirPods style KP220
- "nozzle" style KP330
This is just a suggestion. I think a lot of people bought the KP120 model because it’s really cheap, but like the Datura Pro, it has good build quality.
About the "protein" driver I do not know anything. I think it is an "in-house" experiment.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #150 of 318

Users who are viewing this thread

Back