Earbud target curve tests
Nov 18, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #106 of 318
Would you mind sharing more graphs of frequency response measurements of earbuds?
I've been less active lately, after my laptop was stolen about a month ago. I'm on an old laptop now that has everything set up for measurements again. (measuring software is easy. the dev environment for generating autoeq files is a little picky). @cenizas and I are partnered to eventually get as many measurements up as possible, so we'll get there eventually.

I saw somewhere in earbuds roundup thread measurements of Yincrow X6 and Edifier P180 compared - they were similar. Edifier is also priced similar but is swiftly procurable on Amazon, so could be a great alternative. Would you mind taking a look if you havent already.
https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-P180-Headphones-Inline-Control/dp/B013J2LC2A
@cenizas, let me know if you've measured the Edifier P180 or have access to one.

I ordered both headphones a couple days ago. Yincrow is in transit... and Edifier arrived yesterday. It was a little too warm sounding with full foam covers (only set provided). I need to order some donuts. Which leads to another question: are your measurements with stock foams, and if there are alternatives like donuts provided then did you use them and do you detail that information in your measurements? Ive noticed in earbuds round up thread that rarely specific foam used is provided with the measurements.
Doesn't surprise me that the Edifiers are a tad overly warm. I'm guessing you're hearing bloated upper bass that bleeds into the lower mids? That's a super common sound profile for most of the earbuds I've listened to. It appears there are really only a handful of earbuds that are more IEM tuning friendly (bk2, me80, x6, rw9). Cenizas and I measure buds with foams on. I find that foams do not affect FR beyond 1k very much, something on the order of .5 to 1.25 dB difference at most between donuts, no foam and various brands of foams. Foams do affect bass significantly, though, and is the core of the difficulty in standardizing measurement protocols. I welcome cenizas' help especially since his measurement rig and protocols mirror my results closely.

This is probably a question for general earbuds roundup thread, but do you have a recommended aftermarket earbud foam cover make/brand particularly of the donut variety? I imagine thicker ones measure warmer, or have you found all foams to sound/measure pretty similarly besides donut vs full foam form?
Partially answered above. I have yet to test the various foams fiio includes with their em5, so it is possible that their foams could make a more appreciable FR difference. However, I'm not really motivated to invest time on the impact on foams on sound since my compensation files alter the sound much more significantly.
I have the H180, I think they should be sonically identical, just one has a mic and one doesn't. I'll measure it and send the files over in a bit.

Nov 18, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #109 of 318
I’m new to measuring and am using lowly EARs. First time I tried measuring an earbud. Was surprised to find that it was easily possible to get inconsistencies. I learned that my EARs ear molds are not symmetrical. My left EAR’s ear is slightly larger in the tragus + concha area which allowed for more variabilty in positioning as can be seen in the graph. I could share mdat file if interested.

494C5A62-3B74-4FB0-A7E2-F22AE82E869E.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #110 of 318
I’m new to measuring and am using lowly EARs. First time I tried measuring an earbud. Was surprised to find that it was easily possible to get inconsistencies. I learned that my EARs ear molds are not symmetrical. My left EAR’s ear is slightly larger in the tragus + concha area which allowed for more variabilty in positioning as can be seen in the graph. I could share mdat file if interested.

494C5A62-3B74-4FB0-A7E2-F22AE82E869E.jpeg
oh nice! yes, can you average the results then send me the mdat file? I'll still wait for cenizas' measurements to see what the differences are. thank you!

Nov 18, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #111 of 318
oh nice! yes, can you average the results then send me the mdat file? I'll still wait for cenizas' measurements to see what the differences are. thank you!
If you aren't familiar with REW's averaging feature:

rew average.png

Nov 18, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #112 of 318

Well, I should really just take new measurements with more consideration for positioning. I also don’t know how to average plots yet. I’ll look it up. I’d be happy to share! I can share this mdat file for now, then new one with new consistent measures and averages applied.

Nov 18, 2020 at 2:30 PM Post #113 of 318
Well, I should really just take new measurements with more consideration for positioning. I also don’t know how to average plots yet. I’ll look it up. I’d be happy to share! I can share this mdat file for now, then new one with new consistent measures and averages applied.
No need to take new measurements. I included a screenshot on how to average.

Nov 18, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #114 of 318
by the way, you will always see bass variation of that order when you measure buds. It's unavoidable. For this reason I typically take 7 to 9 measurements each channel and throw out the high and low outliers, then average the results.

Nov 18, 2020 at 2:33 PM Post #115 of 318
when you say "ears" you mean mini dsp ears?

Nov 18, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #117 of 318
Nov 18, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #119 of 318
Nov 18, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #120 of 318
I’m not sure what you mean. REW saves measurements in .mdat format. Compensation curves use a .txt file. Sorry, Im newb
I mean how do you run my compensation files? android wavelet or peq into peace, tonebooster module, etc.

I downloaded your file and it looks good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back