Earbud target curve tests
Nov 18, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #121 of 318
I mean how do you run my compensation files? android wavelet or peq into peace, tonebooster module, etc.

I already downloaded your file and started plotting it out. Thx

I don’t use your compensation files as of yet. I just got my first earbud in a long while yesterday... I had a PK1 years ago.

No compensation was used. Not minidspEARS calibration or any custom compensation. Raw.

Nov 18, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #122 of 318
HE 150pro
v.1.5 bass edition

For those new to these wavelet files, bass edition from v1.5 forward is not extremely bass heavy in the earbuds context. It just has a smidge more bass compared to v1.4, which was flat through the lower mids into the sub bass area. At some point I will adjust v1.5 and make a more bass neutral version as well.

I've included a PEQ file for those unable to use wavelet. Warning re: using this file with peace/apo. I'm getting inconsistent results with my peq files through peace/apo, with the results more often than not sounding poor compared to the wavelet implementation. The peq values used with my qudelix 5k is much better.

If you use peace/apo (which I still do), I recommend experimenting with the "flatten" button in peace. This is essentially the same function as "eq strength" in wavelet. Most wavelet users are using an eq strength between 40% to 75%.

Good luck and as always please share observations to be considered in v1.6!
First of all, I want to thank you for considering this model and for your efforts in general. I try these files on LG and Laptop. Both are different but still the same which is good.
Toneboosters Parametric EQ in USB Audio Player can use 6 or 10 bands only, noting in between.

Anyway...I prefer to use this on a PC with APO and VST plugins.
Sub-bass and soundstage are the main attraction that makes these earphones popular
When I listen HE150Pro with Zen DAC without any Gain, Bass Boost, or EQ, the low end is very dominant relative to other frequencies. Sub-bass does not require any correction. Mid-bass is a bit bloated and "cast the shadow" over lower mids. Upper mids are slightly recessed and treble is smooth (aka. laid back).
Imaging is average (the original MX500 version has better imaging). Soundstage, another plus.
First I tried "GraphicEQ" without plugins. The whole f-curve is pushed down in comparison to the PEQ file but that is easy to fix.
For this test, I use a new song by Toni Braxton (bass, female vocals, and electric guitar)
Bass is much more controlled now, mid-bass bloat is gone. Nice :) Female vocals are cleaner and a bit more pushed in front which is a big plus but also they sound a bit thinner. Treble needs a bit more tweaking, it sounds much brighter (on PEQ file), but by no means harsh and sibilant. I'm treble sensitive so this is subjective criticism.
And you are right, EQ strength between 40% to 75% for sure.
Then I tried PEQ files with ProQ which do average curve between points and apQualizr.
I lowered a few dB at 20Hz, 1K, and 8K and that's all. Thanks again man and keep up the good work. :beerchug:
BTW...can you post Freq. Graf of original tuning for HE150Pro?

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #123 of 318
I don’t use your compensation files as of yet. I just got my first earbud in a long while yesterday... I had a PK1 years ago.

No compensation was used. Not minidspEARS calibration or any custom compensation. Raw.
got it. you'll need to look into two things to ensure your measurements are accurate.

1. locate the mini dsp mic calibration file and load it into REW. Mini dsp should have a web page somewhere where you enter in your serial number and download a calibration file. you refer REW in the preferences to the file location and select it for your mic calibration file.

2. calibrate the sound card (computer/laptop) output by running a cable to create a loopback between the output and mic.

I have the H180, I think they should be sonically identical, just one has a mic and one doesn't. I'll measure it and send the files over in a bit.
Agreed, they'll be close enough with just a slight chance for some channel variability on the mic side bud. I'll build files for the H/P180 after I get your measurements. Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #124 of 318
got it. you'll need to look into two things to ensure your measurements are accurate.

1. locate the mini dsp mic calibration file and load it into REW. Mini dsp should have a web page somewhere where you enter in your serial number and download a calibration file. you refer REW in the preferences to the file location and select it for your mic calibration file.

2. calibrate the sound card (computer/laptop) output by running a

Agreed, they'll be close enough with just a slight chance for some channel variability on the mic side bud. I'll build files for the H/P180 after I get your measurements. Thanks.
So far I have not found any tutorial for measuring earphones using REW. This is the method used for speakers. How different is the procedure for earphones

Nov 18, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #125 of 318
First of all, I want to thank you for considering this model and for your efforts in general. I try these files on LG and Laptop. Both are different but still the same which is good.
Toneboosters Parametric EQ in USB Audio Player can use 6 or 10 bands only, noting in between.

Sub-bass and soundstage are the main attraction that makes these earphones popular
When I listen HE150Pro with Zen DAC without any Gain, Bass Boost, or EQ, the low end is very dominant relative to other frequencies. Sub-bass does not require any correction. Mid-bass is a bit bloated and "cast the shadow" over lower mids. Upper mids are slightly recessed and treble is smooth (aka. laid back).
Imaging is average (the original MX500 version has better imaging). Soundstage, another plus.
First I tried "GraphicEQ" without plugins. The whole f-curve is pushed down in comparison to the PEQ file but that is easy to fix.
For this test, I use a new song by Toni Braxton (bass, female vocals, and electric guitar)
Bass is much more controlled now, mid-bass bloat is gone. Nice :) Female vocals are cleaner and a bit more pushed in front which is a big plus but also they sound a bit thinner. Treble needs a bit more tweaking, it sounds much brighter (on PEQ file), but by no means harsh and sibilant. I'm treble sensitive so this is subjective criticism.
Then I tried PEQ files with ProQ which do average curve between points and apQualizr.
I lowered a few dB at 20Hz, 1K, and 8K and that's all. Thanks again man and keep up the good work. :beerchug:
HE 150pro default tuning
FR graph measured by @cenizas

he 150pro.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 1:00 AM Post #126 of 318
So far I have not found any tutorial for measuring earphones using REW. This is the method used for speakers. How different is the procedure for earphones
Yep, same procedure for earphones up to the point of the waterfall description. All that follows after that is for room measurements. There is one point that deserves highlighting -- they say that sound card calibration is optional because AB testing will highlight differences that are meaningful (and those differences are really affected calibration). With earphones, sound card calibration can be really important, depending on the quality of the sound card output. For example my sb play 3 introduces a number of differences that affect my measurements without calibration. In fact if you see my older graphs, they pretty bad because of the lack of calibration. However, my qudelix 5k has a much flatter output, so I could get away without calibration, but calibration is still recommended.

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:06 AM Post #127 of 318

Some of what you're observing is why I will also make a more bass neutral v1.5, which will end up being my most listened to files for my ear buds personally.

Nov 19, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #128 of 318
@Philimon @Sam L H180, attached the txt file as well. Not a fan of this one stock, honky mids and tonality is just off, probably why I shelved it. Driver seems to have some potential though so maybe eq can fix it.

Also, I checked, the ry I have is the RY04 not the RY4S so no joy there, might pick up the RY4S the next time sale though, since the RY04 isn't bad.
Edifier H180.jpg

Attachments

• Edifier H180.txt
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #129 of 318
Some of what you're observing is why I will also make a more bass neutral v1.5, which will end up being my most listened to files for my ear buds personally.
This is my observation and not bad criticism
It is very inconvenient to use one type of target curve for every earbud. If bass, mids, and highs are not properly tuned on some earbuds, then ok,
the universal target curve can be used for correction with "compress" ie strength adjustment.
But in some cases, let's take for example with HE150Pro, some frequencies are good and not need correction and by averaging the curve we go back to the beginning.
The "Bass neutral" version 1.5 is a great idea. You already cleaned the mid-bass area pretty well, upper mids and treble need slight adjustments.
Side question: did you perhaps plan to do a "list of presets" like oratory1990 but for earbuds?
If all this becomes popular among earbud fans I would like to see a similar application as TB Morphit or SoundID (former SONARWORKS True-Fi) with all your compensation presets. :beerchug:

Nov 19, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #130 of 318
This is my observation and not bad criticism
It is very inconvenient to use one type of target curve for every earbud. If bass, mids, and highs are not properly tuned on some earbuds, then ok,
the universal target curve can be used for correction with "compress" ie strength adjustment.
But in some cases, let's take for example with HE150Pro, some frequencies are good and not need correction and by averaging the curve we go back to the beginning.
The "Bass neutral" version 1.5 is a great idea. You already cleaned the mid-bass area pretty well, upper mids and treble need slight adjustments.
Side question: did you perhaps plan to do a "list of presets" like oratory1990 but for earbuds?
If all this becomes popular among earbud fans I would like to see a similar application as TB Morphit or SoundID (former SONARWORKS True-Fi) with all your compensation presets. :beerchug:
The idea isn't to have the target curve correct every bud (or any single bud) to perfection. Instead, my vision is that a target curve will get every bud 90% of the way there, leaving it up to the individual to account for their personal tweaks. I think the amount of eq work involved for some of these buds can be daunting for a new buds user to try to tackle themselves. It was for me. Eq work is far more complicated than I initially understood, particularly when alterations in parts of the FR affect others areas of the graph. My early conclusion was there has to be a way to achieve the following:

1. get the "heavy lifting" done, especially since different buds can sound so vastly different. (ie. monk plus vs. bk2)
2. ease of use. (several clicks with wavelet and you're up and running)
3. cross platform integration. this is important because without it, eq compensation can be very limiting in use. hardware modders will argue that such mods are preferrable because then the iem/bud can be used in any source with benefit to the sound achieved. I agree but I also think software-driven mods will eventually overtake hardware mods in the future. (ie extending dap eq features etc.) I think hiby's implementation is the right direction.

I do not plan on a list of presets like the one oratory maintains. The main reason being I am more focused on wavelet as the means for correction and not PEQ settings. After a wavelet file is applied, eq strength will be the most common followup, then the "bass tuner" and finally the GEQ feature in wavelet. (most prob won't touch bass tuner or the geq.) The bass tuner is worth buying, it's amazing. However the bass booster is useless in my opinion. By the way, I'm a big fan of oratory's work. My v1.0 was based on his curve. I also use oratory target for most of my iems. I generate separate iem files that compensate for oratory target and use those in my wavelet app in my phones and sony nw-a105.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #131 of 318
Yincrow RW-9
v1.5 bass edition 10k

For those that are new to my files, bass edition is not exactly bass heavy in the context of earbuds. A neutral version is in the works as well. The rw-9 is one of those buds that graph (stock) with a pretty significant roll-off in the brilliance range. To keep tonality consistent, my file will only correct up to 10k. measurements beyond 10k are pretty unreliable anyways, so I rather not risk the autoeq algorithm generating outlier results.

For peace/apo users:
- set preamp value for -12dB
- hit "compress" 3 or 4 times. (I use 3)

Wavelet users: I'm running at 75% eq strength

Start with these adjustments and work from there according to what sounds good to your ears.

As always feedback is encouraged!

Attachments

• yincrow rw9 10k PEQ v1.5 sam.txt
    420 bytes · Views: 0
  • yincrow rw9 10k sam v1.5.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 0
Nov 19, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #132 of 318
The idea isn't to have the target curve correct every bud (or any single bud) to perfection. Instead, my vision is that a target curve will get every bud 90% of the way there, leaving it up to the individual to account for their personal tweaks. I think the amount of eq work involved for some of these buds can be daunting for a new buds user to try to tackle themselves. It was for me. Eq work is far more complicated than I initially understood, particularly when alterations in parts of the FR affect others areas of the graph. My early conclusion was there has to be a way to achieve the following:

1. get the "heavy lifting" done, especially since different buds can sound so vastly different. (ie. monk plus vs. bk2)
2. ease of use. (several clicks with wavelet and you're up and running)
3. cross platform integration. this is important because without it, eq compensation can be very limiting in use. hardware modders will argue that such mods are preferrable because then the iem/bud can be used in any source with benefit to the sound achieved. I agree but I also think software-driven mods will eventually overtake hardware mods in the future. (ie extending dap eq features etc.) I think hiby's implementation is the right direction.

I do not plan on a list of presets like the one oratory maintains. The main reason being I am more focused on wavelet as the means for correction and not PEQ settings. After a wavelet file is applied, eq strength will be the most common followup, then the "bass tuner" and finally the GEQ feature in wavelet. (most prob won't touch bass tuner or the geq.) The bass tuner is worth buying, it's amazing. However the bass booster is useless in my opinion. By the way, I'm a big fan of oratory's work. My v1.0 was based on his curve. I also use oratory target for most of my iems. I generate separate iem files that compensate for oratory target and use those in my wavelet app in my phones and sony nw-a105.
Indeed a nice idea:thumbsup: I also like Hiby's MSEB Tuner option.
About "bass booster", all bass booster (app, software) didn't work for me either.
On the other hand, Zen Dac "bass boost" switch works very well, with no distortion at all, but I don’t use it that often

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #133 of 318
Indeed a nice idea:thumbsup: I also like Hiby's MSEB Tuner option.
About "bass booster", all bass booster (app, software) didn't work for me either.
On the other hand, Zen Dac "bass boost" switch works very well, with no distortion at all, but I don’t use it that often
I dont have the zen dac (thinking of getting one though). I did have the micro iDSD. The bass tuner feature in wavelet is similar

Nov 19, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #134 of 318
Man, you're tempting me to buy a new phone just to try wavelet. :beyersmile:
The only thing I don't like about LG is slow or non-support for Android OS updates.
Another alternative is Sony but I a bit expensive

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #135 of 318
Smabat s-10s
v.1.5 bass edition

Recommended settings:

peace/apo:
- preamp = -10dB
- hit "compress" 2 or 3 times

wavelet:
- eq strength = 75%

Attachments