Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 28, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #51,196 of 75,365
Smabat ST-10s Silver matches your description.
https://www.amazon.com/Earphone-HIFIHEAR-Diaphragm-Maze-Shaped-Detachable/dp/B086MLHP23

Just keep in mind:
-there's a "better" Gold version of this earbud that's costlier but doesn't look like is available on Amazon.com. I've only tried Gold, which is great, but based on reviews Silver should sound similar just a bit worse technically due to a different lower impedance driver used.
-$120 USD is not a good price for Silver version, it can be had for lower on Aliexpress.

Dec 29, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #51,197 of 75,365
Broke out a camera I haven't used for years (nikon d50), figured I might as well start taking pics of earbuds.

me80.JPG

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:13 AM Post #51,199 of 75,365
Regarding above pic... for those that don't know... 2019 - NICEHCK Audio ME80 (34Ω)

One of the best budget earbuds. Too bad it is no more in production. If they came out with a successor or Pro version of this, will be a day one purchase for me surely.

Dec 29, 2020 at 4:38 AM Post #51,200 of 75,365
Which version of the K's LB do you have? The older warmer one or the newer V-shaped 2020 one?

Thank you!
I believe I have older version with silver cable (no Mic)
they came broken - from left channel only I like what I hear but really it is hard to evaluate;]
Will read up more and pick one of the 2 you suggested

p/s it is funny but just from pictures I picked those same drivers and added to "like" drivers to read about them later - soo great to get confirmation from you it is what I am looking for

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2020 at 5:24 AM Post #51,201 of 75,365
Thank you!
I believe I have older version with silver cable (no Mic)
they came broken - from left channel only I like what I hear but really it is hard to evaluate;]
Will read up more and pick one of the 2 you suggested

p/s it is funny but just from pictures I picked those same drivers and added to "like" drivers to read about them later - soo great to get confirmation from you it is what I am looking for

No problem.

I have had both versions of the K's LB and I have both DIY drivers. Actually both are on my modded TWS, the Ti is on my X12 Pro and one pair of N55 is on my X12 Ultra now lol.

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #51,202 of 75,365
What do we know about this one yet?
1609247870976.png

Only could screen cap this. Just coming soon and clicking gives nothing just yet.

Dec 29, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #51,204 of 75,365
Smabat ST-10s Silver matches your description.
https://www.amazon.com/Earphone-HIFIHEAR-Diaphragm-Maze-Shaped-Detachable/dp/B086MLHP23

Just keep in mind:
-there's a "better" Gold version of this earbud that's costlier but doesn't look like is available on Amazon.com. I've only tried Gold, which is great, but based on reviews Silver should sound similar just a bit worse technically due to a different lower impedance driver used.
-$120 USD is not a good price for Silver version, it can be had for lower on Aliexpress.
Thank you for the recommendation, unfortunately more pressing matters occured so I had to spend the card on a matress frame, but I wasn't buying something with it without buying audio gear so I picked up a spring lotus 1.0 for 10usd as well

Dec 29, 2020 at 11:21 AM Post #51,205 of 75,365
My **** bk2 just died. Is anything better or equal for the same price? 20€

I loved the fit, the flexible cable and sound. My problem with other earbuds is the cable, it's always stiff, rubbery or tangled easily, but the bk2 cable was perfect.

Dec 29, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #51,206 of 75,365
FAAEL Datura Pro (with black foams)

I just got my datura pros after hearing it suggested by Sam L, furyossa, and Basking Shark for being mid focused. I honestly did not believe the posts about how bad the bass roll off would be. Its seriously terrible stock. Upper bass is light but fine, Mid bass is barely tolerable, but anything beneath that is nonexistent. Mids are definitely pronounced as expected, though the treble is the closest I've heard to sibilant in any earbud/IEM/headphone even after applying black foams. It's actually piercing with some higher pitched vocalist. Strings violin/guitars also have this weird twang (?) sound to them which just sounds off.

I ended up applying Sam L's neutral EQ tuning. Overall I find the treble/mids is smoothed out a bit which make these wayyyyy more tolerable. It lacks the sparkle from the original but I would not say vocals sound thin. The bass is less then the Snow Lotus CE, though theres enough for me and its surprisingly well done and punchy. Strings also sound much more natural. My only gripe with these buds is some distortion in the extreme highs though I doubt thats fault of the EQ. If you're willing to EQ and looking for something that shines with vocals, I'd definitely recommend these.

Next up: Smabat ST-10s Gold

Dec 29, 2020 at 10:41 PM Post #51,207 of 75,365
FAAEL Datura Pro (with black foams)

I just got my datura pros after hearing it suggested by Sam L, furyossa, and Basking Shark for being mid focused. I honestly did not believe the posts about how bad the bass roll off would be. Its seriously terrible stock. Upper bass is light but fine, Mid bass is barely tolerable, but anything beneath that is nonexistent. Mids are definitely pronounced as expected, though the treble is the closest I've heard to sibilant in any earbud/IEM/headphone even after applying black foams. It's actually piercing with some higher pitched vocalist. Strings violin/guitars also have this weird twang (?) sound to them which just sounds off.

I ended up applying Sam L's neutral EQ tuning. Overall I find the treble/mids is smoothed out a bit which make these wayyyyy more tolerable. It lacks the sparkle from the original but I would not say vocals sound thin. The bass is less then the Snow Lotus CE, though theres enough for me and its surprisingly well done and punchy. Strings also sound much more natural. My only gripe with these buds is some distortion in the extreme highs though I doubt thats fault of the EQ. If you're willing to EQ and looking for something that shines with vocals, I'd definitely recommend these.

Next up: Smabat ST-10s Gold

Thanks for your impressions! The Datura Pro is also quite ill fitting for me, I have to angle the stem about 60 degrees anteriorly to get a proper seal (and I have to use two full foams, one over the other) to achieve a good seal to get a sufficient bass. Luckily it takes to EQ well, so that's an option.

U need an amp with the SMABAT ST10S Black Gold. I think there's an aliexpress sale coming in 1 - 2 days time, so hopefully it will be sufficiently discounted then.

Dec 29, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #51,208 of 75,365
Thanks for your impressions! The Datura Pro is also quite ill fitting for me, I have to angle the stem about 60 degrees anteriorly to get a proper seal (and I have to use two full foams, one over the other) to achieve a good seal to get a sufficient bass. Luckily it takes to EQ well, so that's an option.

U need an amp with the SMABAT ST10S Black Gold. I think there's an aliexpress sale coming in 1 - 2 days time, so hopefully it will be sufficiently discounted then.
I definitely found myself tilting the stems as well with the Datura Pro. I was a bit worried that double foams woulds muffle the highs too much, though its something I'd consider if I get more foams.

Do you have any recommendations for amps on AliExpress? I was hoping my portable Oppo Ha2se or LG v40 would suffice.

Dec 29, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #51,209 of 75,365
I definitely found myself tilting the stems as well with the Datura Pro. I was a bit worried that double foams woulds muffle the highs too much, though its something I'd consider if I get more foams.

Do you have any recommendations for amps on AliExpress? I was hoping my portable Oppo Ha2se or LG v40 would suffice.

Double foams does muffle the highs a bit, you are right. Sometimes I use a silicone cover/donut foam in the inner layer, and I put a full foam over the outer layer. That generally doesn't tame the treble too much.

For amps, I haven't tried the Oppo Ha2se or LG v40, so I do hope the others can advise u, but I use a desktop amp Topping L30 (high gain) with the ST10S Black Gold. Most of my other dongles and portable amps/DAPs don't really do it much justice in sound.

Dec 29, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #51,210 of 75,365

It may look a little weird, but I wear them over-ears because the cables are a little heavier than with other standard buds and pull them out of my ears.
And yes, stock tuning is very disappointing but considering the beautiful design, build quality and excellent tuning capability I am very pleased
with the price-value ratio that this earbud provides.
After all the fact is that there is no perfect pair of earbuds, but there are always "gems", like this one, that appear from time to time and that make this hobby interesting

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back