Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 23, 2020 at 8:03 AM Post #50,567 of 75,148
@baskingshark

Thank you for sharing your OOTB impressions on them.
It seems the actual price is $ 25 (due to the statement at its listing on Penon's website).

I ordered them during last 11.11 too but I was expecting a non rolled off treble... :frowning2:
How do they compare to ST-10s regarding treble extension? Are EA buds much more rolled off?

Nov 23, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #50,568 of 75,148
@baskingshark

Thank you for sharing your OOTB impressions on them.
It seems the actual price is $ 25 (due to the statement at its listing on Penon's website).

I ordered them during last 11.11 too but I was expecting a non rolled off treble... :frowning2:
How do they compare to ST-10s regarding treble extension? Are EA buds much more rolled off?

Yeah it is much more rolled off in the treble than ST10S. U can try taking off the foams and just using the bud without any covers, it helps treble extension a bit.

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #50,569 of 75,148
Hello everyone, do you guys think the Rose Maria is an upgrade to the MoonDrop Liebesleid; and if so, what is better: MoonDrop Chaconne or Rose Maria?

Also... the Rose earbuds all have a weird fit, but the Maria looks smaller than the others. Do you need an ear-hook for it to stay in the ear or are foams fine?
(tagging @ClieOS @golov17 as they two are the only one owning the Maria as far as I know...)

And last question: This reviewer http://headphonemetal.ldblog.jp/archives/52320906.html says the K's Bell-Ti 120 Ohm does have a small soundstage (feels closed) or at least Google Translator says he wrote it. Is that true?

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 11:11 AM Post #50,570 of 75,148
@ro
Just received the Earbuds Anonymous I bought at $25 USD for 11/11.

Earbud anonymous.jpeg

Comes with 2 pairs of donut foams and 2 pairs of full foams and a carrying case. Non detachable cable.

OOTB impressions with full foams on: this is an L shaped set, warm, bassy and smooth with rolled off treble. The bass is midbass focused and north of neutral, with slight subbass roll off. Still better than most other buds in subbass extension, but not as well extended in the bass as the SMABAT ST10S Black Gold. Bass bleeds a bit into mids. Lower mids are depressed slightly with a slight boost in the upper mids, which are nevertheless quite smooth and transparent. Minimal shoutiness in the upper mids unlike some other CHIFI tuned IEMs/earbuds. The treble is rolled off as discussed, with some loss of microdetails in the treble frequencies. No sibilance.

Timbre is very good for acoustic instruments. Technicalities are at least above average, but will need to do further A/B testing against other midfi sets.

Trebleheads best give this set a miss, but treblesensitive folks and bassheads will like it. Very non fatiguing and can be used for hours. Maybe trebleheads can still use it without foam covers to add some clarity and treble to the mix. It may be a bit muddy and overly bass focused with full foams on and this is coming from a basshead.

At the original price of $50 USD (which I would consider as midfi earbuds pricing), there's lots of tough competition from other midfi buds. I would be quite hesistant to recommend the Earbuds Anonymous at this $50 USD price point, and also we have to factor in that it has a non detachable cable (which may be a point of failure down the line). If you can get it for the $25 USD price I got it for, that's quite a nice sounding earbud for the price, especially for bassheads and treblesensitive folk.
Thank you for sharing your observations and saving me money. I'll only pick one up eventually if the drivers take eq well.

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #50,571 of 75,148
Is the Rose Masya still competetive in today's earbud market? If not, what other buds would provide a similar signature/experience to it? Maybe at or below 150 price point?
If it was competitive before, it still is today. My way of saying there's not enough innovation in the earbuds market. :frowning2:

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #50,572 of 75,148
If it was competitive before, it still is today. My way of saying there's not enough innovation in the earbuds market. :frowning2:

Which is why I also got the M2 Pro, cause it did something different. And why I'm attracted to the rose stuff, they're doing something great here. Great news to me though, if I can find one anywhere.

Nov 23, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #50,573 of 75,148
Everyone, i have an idea how to calibrate anyone's measurements so I can use them to generate compensation files. I'll elaborate when I get home.
We are still waiting ... patiently :thinking:

Nov 23, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #50,574 of 75,148
We are still waiting ... patiently :thinking:
This is what I propose, and it will require someone (the more the merrier) two things:
1. submitting a measurement of a common, easily accessible bud (monk plus?) that they've measured following some clean measurement practices. quality of the rig and proper calibration is not needed. I just need consistency.

2. Someone with one of the following eq implementations working:
A. wavelet
B. peace/apo for windows users
C. mac os users -- there are a number of PEQ and convolver modules that work. I haven't uploaded any convolver files yet, but I've been generating them along with my wavelet and PEQ files. More info here:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq
D. linux users can use PulseEffects

I will then:
1. compare the submitted baseline measurement with mine and cenizas' rig outputs and create a compensation file for correction purposes.
2. create compensation files of the desired bud
3. correct the output of #2 with the correction file to adjust for any deviations from uncorrected mics/soundcards.

Any takers?

**edit**
If anyone wants to help out, message me. I don't want to hunt down responses inside the thread. thanks!

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #50,576 of 75,148
Ending my Monday with a mean, (slightly) green, mids machine :)

20201123_232135_HDR2.jpg

Though I do have a question, has anyone here worked on re-cabling the Cygnus before and was it difficult? I'm planning on doing so down the line and just wanted to know if it was something worth doing (as in, wouldn't need to worry about having a spare driver or etc)? Hope you all had a good Monday regardless :ksc75smile: .

Nov 23, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #50,577 of 75,148
Hello everyone, do you guys think the Rose Maria is an upgrade to the MoonDrop Liebesleid; and if so, what is better: MoonDrop Chaconne or Rose Maria?

Also... the Rose earbuds all have a weird fit, but the Maria looks smaller than the others. Do you need an ear-hook for it to stay in the ear or are foams fine?
(tagging @ClieOS @golov17 as they two are the only one owning the Maria as far as I know...)

And last question: This reviewer http://headphonemetal.ldblog.jp/archives/52320906.html says the K's Bell-Ti 120 Ohm does have a small soundstage (feels closed) or at least Google Translator says he wrote it. Is that true?
on paper it should be substantially better, how good the tuning is, is anyone's guess however, but from what I've heard of the masya, the maria is likely better than the moondrops.

I myself have a Masya waiting for me in the US for whenever shipping becomes sanely priced again at a friend's place and keep eying the Maria for it's sheer innovation.

Nothing beats the comfiness and ability to just put them in and vibe of earbuds lol.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #50,578 of 75,148
Are there any Youtube tutorials or something on what is needed to do a measurement? I have a Qian69 and 39 I'd really be curious having it done for but I have no idea how, I have PeaceEQ/APO installed.

Producing a graph is a fairly easy thing (even more so when using softwares like Room EQ Wizards. If that's all you want to know this site says it all, it's definetly the best place to start.). You really need nothing but an omni microphone and a soundcard. But producing a graph that actually means anything at all is oustandingly difficult even when not aiming for the bear minimum of accuracy and precision science (or just intellectual honesty) would require.

However if you're intersted in this, just start reading and experimenting, you will learn a lot really. And from my point of view education on the matter is just vital, you'll become a far better listener/producer/musiclover or whatever.

Nov 23, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #50,579 of 75,148
Ending my Monday with a mean, (slightly) green, mids machine :)

20201123_232135_HDR2.jpg

Though I do have a question, has anyone here worked on re-cabling the Cygnus before and was it difficult? I'm planning on doing so down the line and just wanted to know if it was something worth doing (as in, wouldn't need to worry about having a spare driver or etc)? Hope you all had a good Monday regardless :ksc75smile: .
I've worked on re-cabling Cygnus before and it was difficult to run a new thick OCC cable through the stem of the shell, but I think it was worth the effort.

Nov 23, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #50,580 of 75,148
This is what I propose, and it will require someone (the more the merrier) two things:
1. submitting a measurement of a common, easily accessible bud (monk plus?) that they've measured following some clean measurement practices. quality of the rig and proper calibration is not needed. I just need consistency.

2. Someone with one of the following eq implementations working:
A. wavelet
B. peace/apo for windows users
C. mac os users -- there are a number of PEQ and convolver modules that work. I haven't uploaded any convolver files yet, but I've been generating them along with my wavelet and PEQ files. More info here:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq
D. linux users can use PulseEffects

I will then:
1. compare the submitted baseline measurement with mine and cenizas' rig outputs and create a compensation file for correction purposes.
2. create compensation files of the desired bud
3. correct the output of #2 with the correction file to adjust for any deviations from uncorrected mics/soundcards.

Any takers?

**edit**
If anyone wants to help out, message me. I don't want to hunt down responses inside the thread. thanks!
Here is my not-worth-much criticism (if it's out of place please tell me)
What do you mean by clean measurment practices? Why would the quality of the rig not matter? If you want sytematic deviations, rigs should be at least the same in principle (I believe your rig and Ceniza's are based on a IEC711 compliant coupler and an adaptater that gives a partial seal for earbuds (?)). Very similar rigs can produce comparable measurments that might be linked by a simple linear founction indeed. But it needs to be investigated. Do you plan to do so?
To me the value of your EQ files is that they're all based on measurments from the same rig. If people want to build EQ files temselves they can, and I'd be glad they share their results. But if your database is not kept clean it will just add confusion and lessen the meaning of your work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back