post-15993688
Post #50,581 of 51,751

Sam L

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Website
earbudfi.com
We are still waiting ... patiently :thinking:
This is what I propose, and it will require someone (the more the merrier) two things:
1. submitting a measurement of a common, easily accessible bud (monk plus?) that they've measured following some clean measurement practices. quality of the rig and proper calibration is not needed. I just need consistency.

2. Someone with one of the following eq implementations working:
A. wavelet
B. peace/apo for windows users
C. mac os users -- there are a number of PEQ and convolver modules that work. I haven't uploaded any convolver files yet, but I've been generating them along with my wavelet and PEQ files. More info here:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq
D. linux users can use PulseEffects

I will then:
1. compare the submitted baseline measurement with mine and cenizas' rig outputs and create a compensation file for correction purposes.
2. create compensation files of the desired bud
3. correct the output of #2 with the correction file to adjust for any deviations from uncorrected mics/soundcards.

Any takers?

**edit**
If anyone wants to help out, message me. I don't want to hunt down responses inside the thread. thanks!

Last edited:
post-15994181
Post #50,582 of 51,751

theresanarc

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Are there any Youtube tutorials or something on what is needed to do a measurement? I have a Qian69 and 39 I'd really be curious having it done for but I have no idea how, I have PeaceEQ/APO installed.

post-15994200
Post #50,583 of 51,751

vygas

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Ending my Monday with a mean, (slightly) green, mids machine :)

20201123_232135_HDR2.jpg

Though I do have a question, has anyone here worked on re-cabling the Cygnus before and was it difficult? I'm planning on doing so down the line and just wanted to know if it was something worth doing (as in, wouldn't need to worry about having a spare driver or etc)? Hope you all had a good Monday regardless :ksc75smile: .

post-15994344
Post #50,584 of 51,751

dissociativity

Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hello everyone, do you guys think the Rose Maria is an upgrade to the MoonDrop Liebesleid; and if so, what is better: MoonDrop Chaconne or Rose Maria?

Also... the Rose earbuds all have a weird fit, but the Maria looks smaller than the others. Do you need an ear-hook for it to stay in the ear or are foams fine?
(tagging @ClieOS @golov17 as they two are the only one owning the Maria as far as I know...)

And last question: This reviewer http://headphonemetal.ldblog.jp/archives/52320906.html says the K's Bell-Ti 120 Ohm does have a small soundstage (feels closed) or at least Google Translator says he wrote it. Is that true?
on paper it should be substantially better, how good the tuning is, is anyone's guess however, but from what I've heard of the masya, the maria is likely better than the moondrops.

I myself have a Masya waiting for me in the US for whenever shipping becomes sanely priced again at a friend's place and keep eying the Maria for it's sheer innovation.

Nothing beats the comfiness and ability to just put them in and vibe of earbuds lol.

Last edited:
post-15994376
Post #50,585 of 51,751

lackOfInspiration

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Are there any Youtube tutorials or something on what is needed to do a measurement? I have a Qian69 and 39 I'd really be curious having it done for but I have no idea how, I have PeaceEQ/APO installed.
Producing a graph is a fairly easy thing (even more so when using softwares like Room EQ Wizards. If that's all you want to know this site says it all, it's definetly the best place to start.). You really need nothing but an omni microphone and a soundcard. But producing a graph that actually means anything at all is oustandingly difficult even when not aiming for the bear minimum of accuracy and precision science (or just intellectual honesty) would require.

However if you're intersted in this, just start reading and experimenting, you will learn a lot really. And from my point of view education on the matter is just vital, you'll become a far better listener/producer/musiclover or whatever.

post-15994385
Post #50,586 of 51,751

jogawag

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Jul 31, 2016
Ending my Monday with a mean, (slightly) green, mids machine :)

20201123_232135_HDR2.jpg

Though I do have a question, has anyone here worked on re-cabling the Cygnus before and was it difficult? I'm planning on doing so down the line and just wanted to know if it was something worth doing (as in, wouldn't need to worry about having a spare driver or etc)? Hope you all had a good Monday regardless :ksc75smile: .
I've worked on re-cabling Cygnus before and it was difficult to run a new thick OCC cable through the stem of the shell, but I think it was worth the effort.

post-15994433
Post #50,587 of 51,751

lackOfInspiration

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
This is what I propose, and it will require someone (the more the merrier) two things:
1. submitting a measurement of a common, easily accessible bud (monk plus?) that they've measured following some clean measurement practices. quality of the rig and proper calibration is not needed. I just need consistency.

2. Someone with one of the following eq implementations working:
A. wavelet
B. peace/apo for windows users
C. mac os users -- there are a number of PEQ and convolver modules that work. I haven't uploaded any convolver files yet, but I've been generating them along with my wavelet and PEQ files. More info here:
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq
D. linux users can use PulseEffects

I will then:
1. compare the submitted baseline measurement with mine and cenizas' rig outputs and create a compensation file for correction purposes.
2. create compensation files of the desired bud
3. correct the output of #2 with the correction file to adjust for any deviations from uncorrected mics/soundcards.

Any takers?

**edit**
If anyone wants to help out, message me. I don't want to hunt down responses inside the thread. thanks!
Here is my not-worth-much criticism (if it's out of place please tell me)
What do you mean by clean measurment practices? Why would the quality of the rig not matter? If you want sytematic deviations, rigs should be at least the same in principle (I believe your rig and Ceniza's are based on a IEC711 compliant coupler and an adaptater that gives a partial seal for earbuds (?)). Very similar rigs can produce comparable measurments that might be linked by a simple linear founction indeed. But it needs to be investigated. Do you plan to do so?
To me the value of your EQ files is that they're all based on measurments from the same rig. If people want to build EQ files temselves they can, and I'd be glad they share their results. But if your database is not kept clean it will just add confusion and lessen the meaning of your work.

post-15994532
Post #50,588 of 51,751

Sam L

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Website
earbudfi.com
Sadly, the info is scattered across various thread and websites. I haven't really seen anything on youtube that is helpful. :frowning2:

A good starting point is to get a Dayton imm-6 calibrated mic and some tubing to simulate the ear canal.
https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-iMM-6-Calibrated-Measurement/dp/B00ADR2B84

Room EQ Wizard is free software to graph that will play sine wave sweeps or measure iems/earbuds.

@theresanarc I plan to carve out some time one of these weekends and put up a website that will have all this info w/ screenshots. It'll also be a central repository for earbud measurements and correction files.

Reactions: furyossa
post-15994566
Post #50,589 of 51,751

Sam L

1000+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Website
earbudfi.com
Here is my not-worth-much criticism (if it's out of place please tell me)
What do you mean by clean measurment practices? Why would the quality of the rig not matter? If you want sytematic deviations, rigs should be at least the same in principle (I believe your rig and Ceniza's are based on a IEC711 compliant coupler and an adaptater that gives a partial seal for earbuds (?)). Very similar rigs can produce comparable measurments that might be linked by a simple linear founction indeed. But it needs to be investigated. Do you plan to do so?
To me the value of your EQ files is that they're all based on measurments from the same rig. If people want to build EQ files temselves they can, and I'd be glad they share their results. But if your database is not kept clean it will just add confusion and lessen the meaning of your work.
You are correct in that the accuracy of the measurement setup is important but what I'm proposing is a workflow for community-based submissions that can still offer some advantage to earbud users at large with compensation files based on community submissions. The goal I have in mind is faster adoption and coverage of all the various earbuds out there. I plan on creating a repository centralizing all these files. Community based submissions will be limited to 20hz to 10khz, which should be fine since measurements post 10khz are notoriously inaccurate anyways.

By the way, I think after increasing interest and data there will likely be several target curves that cover the vast majority of the preferences of earbud users. Something that parallels the variety we have in the IEM space (ala diffuse field, harman, oratory, etc.) Though I think a bass oriented target and a more neutral target is a good start.

Reactions: lackOfInspiration
post-15994670
Post #50,590 of 51,751

superuser1

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Reactions: rprodrigues
post-15994687
Post #50,591 of 51,751

assassin10000

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
If you pick up a Dayton IMM-6 mic and have some basic DIY skills you could make an adapter which can help with way more consistent measurements.

Top center in this pic is the DIY adapter:
IMG_20200901_165010.jpg
Bottom row is 5 of 17 different tries to match measurements of my prior adapter which was based on a mold of my actual ear.
IMG_20200806_192036.jpg

I staggered the lengths a bit to give a similar volume to my ears after my first few attempts at a DIY adapter.

Razor blade/tubing cutter, an exacto knife and hot glue gun are needed. The claw or crown has hot glue that is used create 'tips' that hold the earbud.

IMG_20200820_174608.jpg

post-15995137
Post #50,593 of 51,751

RikudouGoku

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Website
docs.google.com
@RikudouGoku Any update on the Dendroaspis??
Shipped, it is the only package I ordered that has been sent....11/11 sure is delaying a ton of orders and now it is black friday...guess there might be more delays.

Reactions: superuser1
post-15995323
Post #50,594 of 51,751

baskingshark

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Any good earbud deals you guys see for Black Friday?

The TONEKING Dendroaspis Viridis is going at around $66 USD on a few shops on Aliexpress with stacking coupons. We have some good first impressions about it, but I would consider this midfi pricing for a bud, not that cheap to rush into a blind buy for most. Waiting for @RikudouGoku , the patron saint of buying IEMs/earbuds to give his valuable input!!!

post-15995377
Post #50,595 of 51,751

povidlo

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Received 1MORE EO320 over the weekend, purchased from Amazon.it.

Packaging and accessories are above average. Using foamies, they are very comfortable to wear, probably the most comfortable earbuds I've tried so far. Cord is braided until Y-split.

They are V-shape tuned, with nice bass and treble extension. Mids are a bit recessed and vocals are a somewhat behind the sound. Simple, 2D soundstage but instrument / layer separation is quite decent.

Low-end is the highlight so far. EO320 are capable of producing pounding, controlled bass. EQ/DSP can make them very bassy, on top of their default V sound sig. They don't get boomy though, and bass is well separated from mids, sounds like due to a bit of a drop off around low mids area.

Good choice for some thumpin' techno on the go!

20201124_101105.jpg
20201124_101234.jpg
61cPuFXuBoL.jpg
61RQh2sk0QL.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 11, Guests: 29)