Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 23, 2020 at 10:11 PM Post #50,581 of 75,125
Are there any Youtube tutorials or something on what is needed to do a measurement? I have a Qian69 and 39 I'd really be curious having it done for but I have no idea how, I have PeaceEQ/APO installed.
Sadly, the info is scattered across various thread and websites. I haven't really seen anything on youtube that is helpful. :frowning2:

A good starting point is to get a Dayton imm-6 calibrated mic and some tubing to simulate the ear canal.
https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-iMM-6-Calibrated-Measurement/dp/B00ADR2B84

Room EQ Wizard is free software to graph that will play sine wave sweeps or measure iems/earbuds.

@theresanarc I plan to carve out some time one of these weekends and put up a website that will have all this info w/ screenshots. It'll also be a central repository for earbud measurements and correction files.

Nov 23, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #50,582 of 75,125
Here is my not-worth-much criticism (if it's out of place please tell me)
What do you mean by clean measurment practices? Why would the quality of the rig not matter? If you want sytematic deviations, rigs should be at least the same in principle (I believe your rig and Ceniza's are based on a IEC711 compliant coupler and an adaptater that gives a partial seal for earbuds (?)). Very similar rigs can produce comparable measurments that might be linked by a simple linear founction indeed. But it needs to be investigated. Do you plan to do so?
To me the value of your EQ files is that they're all based on measurments from the same rig. If people want to build EQ files temselves they can, and I'd be glad they share their results. But if your database is not kept clean it will just add confusion and lessen the meaning of your work.

You are correct in that the accuracy of the measurement setup is important but what I'm proposing is a workflow for community-based submissions that can still offer some advantage to earbud users at large with compensation files based on community submissions. The goal I have in mind is faster adoption and coverage of all the various earbuds out there. I plan on creating a repository centralizing all these files. Community based submissions will be limited to 20hz to 10khz, which should be fine since measurements post 10khz are notoriously inaccurate anyways.

By the way, I think after increasing interest and data there will likely be several target curves that cover the vast majority of the preferences of earbud users. Something that parallels the variety we have in the IEM space (ala diffuse field, harman, oratory, etc.) Though I think a bass oriented target and a more neutral target is a good start.

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #50,583 of 75,125
Nov 23, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #50,584 of 75,125
If you pick up a Dayton IMM-6 mic and have some basic DIY skills you could make an adapter which can help with way more consistent measurements.

Top center in this pic is the DIY adapter:
IMG_20200901_165010.jpg
Bottom row is 5 of 17 different tries to match measurements of my prior adapter which was based on a mold of my actual ear.
IMG_20200806_192036.jpg

I staggered the lengths a bit to give a similar volume to my ears after my first few attempts at a DIY adapter.

Razor blade/tubing cutter, an exacto knife and hot glue gun are needed. The claw or crown has hot glue that is used create 'tips' that hold the earbud.

IMG_20200820_174608.jpg

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #50,586 of 75,125
@RikudouGoku Any update on the Dendroaspis??
Shipped, it is the only package I ordered that has been sent....11/11 sure is delaying a ton of orders and now it is black friday...guess there might be more delays.

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:04 AM Post #50,587 of 75,125
Any good earbud deals you guys see for Black Friday?

The TONEKING Dendroaspis Viridis is going at around $66 USD on a few shops on Aliexpress with stacking coupons. We have some good first impressions about it, but I would consider this midfi pricing for a bud, not that cheap to rush into a blind buy for most. Waiting for @RikudouGoku , the patron saint of buying IEMs/earbuds to give his valuable input!!!

Nov 24, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #50,588 of 75,125
Received 1MORE EO320 over the weekend, purchased from Amazon.it.

Packaging and accessories are above average. Using foamies, they are very comfortable to wear, probably the most comfortable earbuds I've tried so far. Cord is braided until Y-split.

They are V-shape tuned, with nice bass and treble extension. Mids are a bit recessed and vocals are a somewhat behind the sound. Simple, 2D soundstage but instrument / layer separation is quite decent.

Low-end is the highlight so far. EO320 are capable of producing pounding, controlled bass. EQ/DSP can make them very bassy, on top of their default V sound sig. They don't get boomy though, and bass is well separated from mids, sounds like due to a bit of a drop off around low mids area.

Good choice for some thumpin' techno on the go!

20201124_101105.jpg
20201124_101234.jpg
61cPuFXuBoL.jpg
61RQh2sk0QL.jpg

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #50,589 of 75,125
Received 1MORE EO320 over the weekend, purchased from Amazon.it.

Packaging and accessories are above average. Using foamies, they are very comfortable to wear, probably the most comfortable earbuds I've tried so far. Cord is braided until Y-split.

They are V-shape tuned, with nice bass and treble extension. Mids are a bit recessed and vocals are a somewhat behind the sound. Simple, 2D soundstage but instrument / layer separation is quite decent.

Low-end is the highlight so far. EO320 are capable of producing pounding, controlled bass. EQ/DSP can make them very bassy, on top of their default V sound sig. They don't get boomy though, and bass is well separated from mids, sounds like due to a bit of a drop off around low mids area.

Good choice for some thumpin' techno on the go!

20201124_101105.jpg
20201124_101234.jpg
61cPuFXuBoL.jpg
61RQh2sk0QL.jpg
DIY Aerospace-Grade Titanium :wink:
H763aaa55ca98412b95e38ea3d1f0103cR.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000177042681.html

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #50,590 of 75,125
You are correct in that the accuracy of the measurement setup is important but what I'm proposing is a workflow for community-based submissions that can still offer some advantage to earbud users at large with compensation files based on community submissions. The goal I have in mind is faster adoption and coverage of all the various earbuds out there. I plan on creating a repository centralizing all these files. Community based submissions will be limited to 20hz to 10khz, which should be fine since measurements post 10khz are notoriously inaccurate anyways.

By the way, I think after increasing interest and data there will likely be several target curves that cover the vast majority of the preferences of earbud users. Something that parallels the variety we have in the IEM space (ala diffuse field, harman, oratory, etc.) Though I think a bass oriented target and a more neutral target is a good start.
I'm absolutely ok with the idea that community submissions are beneficial, but my point is that it seems risky to say the least to use them this way. It's all a question of how you build the data base then, but personally when reading a graph I want absolute transparency on how it was produced. Putting all measurments in the same basket with nothink but a linear compensation would let the user think all the rigs are comparable, this is not very honest to me. But you're probably well aware of this so I'm stopping there.

Yet I have a grip on what you're trying to achieve with targets. The unknown in our case is not what we should have at the eardrum (this is already well established) but what we should measure on the rigs we have available. If we had fixtures like 43AG we could directly use the harman target as is.

Nov 24, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #50,591 of 75,125
I'm absolutely ok with the idea that community submissions are beneficial, but my point is that it seems risky to say the least to use them this way. It's all a question of how you build the data base then, but personally when reading a graph I want absolute transparency on how it was produced. Putting all measurments in the same basket with nothink but a linear compensation would let the user think all the rigs are comparable, this is not very honest to me. But you're probably well aware of this so I'm stopping there.

Yet I have a grip on what you're trying to achieve with targets. The unknown in our case is not what we should have at the eardrum (this is already well established) but what we should measure on the rigs we have available. If we had fixtures like 43AG we could directly use the harman target as is.

I understand your concerns and we're on the same page. I'm thinking iteratively and how can we kick start a movement of sorts that will actually achieve these sorts of impacts:

1. See the sort of innovation we see in the chi-fi iem space.
2. Have every manufacturer sell buds with growing market share quarter after quarter. (and to see these buds models with stronger placement in their lineup, not like after thoughts or loss leaders. ie. fiio admitting they they won't make money on the em5...)
3. This thread have on average 200 to 500 concurrent guests and users at any given time of day.

All the measurements will not be in the "same basket," for sure. They will reside in a user submitted category. My original thought was having something was better than nothing. I still think this approach is sound but I'll definitely give some more thought as to how this will work out in practice.

As always, I appreciate the feedback and keep them coming!

Nov 24, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #50,593 of 75,125
Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #50,594 of 75,125
PENON Stay updated on PENON at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1221974387914138/ https://twitter.com/PenonAudio?s=09 https://www.instagram.com/penonaudio/ https://penonaudio.com/ penonaudio@hotmail.com
Nov 25, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #50,595 of 75,125
Yincrow rw-2000 has arrived.
Impressions after 8 hours of burn-in.

Sound Sig:
Harmonious high resolution sound.
The bass has weight, and the mid-high range has a sense of transparency.
A wide and airy sound stage.
Impressive female vocal.
It's a bit like the sound of Moondrop Chaconne.

Good point:
The 15mm driver can be used by people with small ears.
Bad points:
I negotiated and bought it for $ 135, but now it is sold for $ 133.

yincrow rw-2000.jpg

Postscript:
About 40 hours to the end of the burn-in.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back