Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 3, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #46,321 of 75,270
I personally enjoy the stock Qian69 more than B40. B40 is smoother with more neutral mids/highs but for me it lacks energy, emotion and bass extension (it's not just sound signature, it's more of a dynamics thing). It's good for walking around or listening to midcentric music, but I just don't feel engaged in anything with it. The Qian69 is far from perfect of course but I would pick it anytime over my particular pair of B40s. Overall I can see them on the same level with different attitudes towards music. That's just my personal opinion,

Dec 3, 2019 at 10:05 PM Post #46,322 of 75,270
Keep in mind, the TO400s ist still much more audiophile tuned than the average earphone, it's very nice for acoustic music but might leave you a bit hungry for hip-hop, EDM and such bass wise.

In which case my go-to recommendation is still the BK2, which sounds less "audiophile" maybe, but still very nice for acoustic music.

Yet to come : ry4s ue, snow lotus 2.0, tomahawk and TO180
Got your point about TO400s

BK2? which one? Is there a second version of Shozy BK

Dec 3, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #46,325 of 75,270
How long does it typically take US residents to receive packages from Penon Audio? I just ordered the bgvp dx5.
Also, what is the general consensus on the fit of the Toneking to series.. More specifically, the 200s?

Dec 4, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #46,326 of 75,270
How long does it typically take US residents to receive packages from Penon Audio? I just ordered the bgvp dx5
If it can help, it took me just a week to receive into France, probably the fastest experience from a while (for an order from China). Great experience from Penon Audio.

Dec 4, 2019 at 6:29 AM Post #46,327 of 75,270
How long does it typically take US residents to receive packages from Penon Audio? I just ordered the bgvp dx5.
Also, what is the general consensus on the fit of the Toneking to series.. More specifically, the 200s?
Penon ship really fast

Dec 4, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #46,328 of 75,270
Hi again, clearly the EBX soundstage is quite a bit wider, and slightly deeper. The TO400s is very intimate and puts you in a small room with the musicians, while keeping very good instruments separation, the EBX sounds more like in a small concert hall, if only because there's more detail and clarity so reverbs are much more present.

I received the Yincrow RW-1000 and it is even more spacious than the EBX. My early impressions is that it sounds very hifi, with even greater extension in the highs, but a bit less bass. It's otherwise more similar than different, with a mellow, round sub, and not much of mid-bass slam. No bleed into mids. Sounds maybe a bit dry, which I actually like.

Mids may be more natural, which could avoid the fatigue I get with the EBX on some material, but it's a bit early to say, I'll take them at work tomorrow to see if I can cope with the bright signature for extended sessions.

I will sell my TO600, too much mid-bass bleed into mids for me, can't win everytime at the chifi roulette.

Are they properly burned in yet?
I found the bass for TO600 to "bloaty" too when my pair arrived. But after burn in (real or brain I don't know :p) they felt much better First time I found a difference with burn-in.
Still not as "buttery-clean" sounding as my TO400s, still not shure which buds I prefer, but leaning towards TO600, the extra bass can be nice for some songs.
But the TO400s does not lack bass IMHO like some say, more and better than my Ourart ACG, MONK.

Dec 4, 2019 at 10:09 AM Post #46,329 of 75,270
Dec 4, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #46,330 of 75,270
I think I'm set for budz/iems for the near future. Venture Electronics Sun DICE, Blur Earbud 40-60 PK32, Shouer Tape, TIN P3 (VE Copper cable) with the E1DA 9038S DAC/Amp stick. HiBy R3 and Tempotec V1A to drive with the Cayin N3. I really wanted to listen to the Blurs on my Revamp Acoustics Nuansa P1 but it doesn't have balanced out.

budz.jpg

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #46,331 of 75,270
I really wanted to listen to the Blurs on my Revamp Acoustics Nuansa P1 but it doesn't have balanced out.

Surely there is an adapter available that you can use. Balanced to,SE..

Dec 4, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #46,332 of 75,270
Are they properly burned in yet?
I found the bass for TO600 to "bloaty" too when my pair arrived. But after burn in (real or brain I don't know :p) they felt much better First time I found a difference with burn-in.
Still not as "buttery-clean" sounding as my TO400s, still not shure which buds I prefer, but leaning towards TO600, the extra bass can be nice for some songs.
But the TO400s does not lack bass IMHO like some say, more and better than my Ourart ACG, MONK.

I put a about 10 hours on them, will follow your advice and give them more time. Also had a "what if" moment today, and remembered I discarded using balanced on my DSD pro because it kills the bass, but that may be what this one needs for me, will try later.

Received a BK2 replacement today, as I had gifted mine to my best friend, and it still rocks so great, especially on hip-hop that the tonekings don't do all that well due to somewhat muddy bass (except TO400s, but it's tuned differently), the BK2 bass is just so great for an earbud, round, extended and natural, works for all genres so well. :)

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #46,335 of 75,270
I put a about 10 hours on them, will follow your advice and give them more time. Also had a "what if" moment today, and remembered I discarded using balanced on my DSD pro because it kills the bass, but that may be what this one needs for me, will try later.

Received a BK2 replacement today, as I had gifted mine to my best friend, and it still rocks so great, especially on hip-hop that the tonekings don't do all that well due to somewhat muddy bass (except TO400s, but it's tuned differently), the BK2 bass is just so great for an earbud, round, extended and natural, works for all genres so well. :)

For me 10 hours wasn't enough, maybe you too will have the same experience
Or else balanced may do the trick

You liking TO400s as much as you do makes me interested for the BK2, we may like same type of sound characteristics

Users who are viewing this thread

Back