Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 5, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #46,351 of 75,145
I just have to prep 10 HI TY150Pros with foams for presents and I felt like I'd rather cut my own throat than to suffer trying to put foamies on the next bud.
It's the worst thing about owning earbuds IMHO.
help?
Pre-stretch can help. I usually able to put on a pair of new foams in about 30 seconds. (maybe playing guitar in the past helps haha) I push the edge of the earbud into the middle of the foam, then sliding it inside. I push the foam from behind with one of my fingers to help it. I might make quick video if somebody finds it useful. It's also useful to have a very small earbud like qian39 which is very easy to "dress", and you can use it as a preparation for larger buds

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #46,352 of 75,145
Pre-stretch can help. I usually able to put on a pair of new foams in about 30 seconds. (maybe playing guitar in the past helps haha) I push the edge of the earbud into the middle of the foam, then sliding it inside. I push the foam from behind with one of my fingers to help it. I might make quick video if somebody finds it useful. It's also useful to have a very small earbud like qian39 which is very easy to "dress", and you can use it as a preparation for larger buds
That's exactly what I do too, I can get donut foams on pk shell buds quite easily, so I put them on my sr2 to stretch and shape the foams first, then they typically go onto larger buds quite easily after that.

Dec 5, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #46,354 of 75,145
So I looked closely how I install foams, this is they way I do it: I hold the earbud by the stem with my thumb and index finger. I keep one side of the foam in place by my middle finger (on the same hand), pushing it against the earbud (slided in if it's possible). With my other hand, I slide the the foam hole over the earbud's edge, then slowly pulling the foam edge up in a circular fashion. I'm not sure if I described it well, basically you hold the earbud and the foam in place with the same hand, and you slide it up in position with the other. Probably it's better to just film it haha.

Like something Marty Mcfly would be wearing.
Yep haha that was my first thought. It would look nice in the Millennium Falcon too.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #46,355 of 75,145
After much A/Bing I decided to gift the TO400s to my father for Christmas with an Apple dongle. I tried on a friend's iPhone and the volume is plenty.

He listens almost exclusively to classical, and I feel this is the better earbud for that purpose.

A very serious contender is the moondrop nameless. It is baffling how natural it sounds, and is probably the most accurate representation of what a record is intended to sound like imo, and can probably compete with very expensive speakers.

It is let down by a very microphonics cable, and the build looks overall so fragile, that the TO400s wins this round however for a gift, as I'm not very confident the nameless will still work in one year.

It is excellent to relax statically at night tho, so laid back and transparent, beautiful.

I have decided to keep the TO600 on balanced cable, and to sell the EBX instead, which is too redundant with the RW-1000 that has a better fit (by far), finish, construction and sound.

So I'll be without TO400s until I can afford a new one, let's hope I survive haha

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #46,356 of 75,145
Anyone own or heard these? I don't see the words subwoofer and earbuds going hand in hand.
As I found out, this is just the KC08T version for China, the sound does not differ from the international version without color marks on the housing.
FB_IMG_1575578932177.jpg

Dec 5, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #46,357 of 75,145
After much A/Bing I decided to gift the TO400s to my father for Christmas with an Apple dongle. I tried on a friend's iPhone and the volume is plenty.

He listens almost exclusively to classical, and I feel this is the better earbud for that purpose.

A very serious contender is the moondrop nameless. It is baffling how natural it sounds, and is probably the most accurate representation of what a record is intended to sound like imo, and can probably compete with very expensive speakers.

It is let down by a very microphonics cable, and the build looks overall so fragile, that the TO400s wins this round however for a gift, as I'm not very confident the nameless will still work in one year.

It is excellent to relax statically at night tho, so laid back and transparent, beautiful.

I have decided to keep the TO600 on balanced cable, and to sell the EBX instead, which is too redundant with the RW-1000 that has a better fit (by far), finish, construction and sound.

So I'll be without TO400s until I can afford a new one, let's hope I survive haha

Does the TO600 have the same amount of really Low Bass Impact that the EBX has?

Dec 5, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #46,358 of 75,145
Does the TO600 have the same amount of really Low Bass Impact that the EBX has?

It is a bit hard to compare now as my balanced out has much less bass than single-ended, but I would say no.

It is a vastly different sound signature, the EBX has a bright, high definition "modern" sound and the TO600 (like the TO200) has a more rough, organic sound.

Probably less bass extension, but in any case more mid-bass for the TO600.

The EBX is a digital cd sound, and the TO600 a vinyl sound if you like an analogy. You can push the vinyl it will just roar pleasantly, while pushing the cd player will be aggressive.

Dunno if it makes sense but that's how I hear it. Definition and clarity : EBX. Organic sound : Toneking.

Guess what I'll pick to listen to John Lee Hooker ^^

Dec 5, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #46,359 of 75,145

Yeah
from my experience
that video is a bunch of BS

I end up ripping my VE thin foams just stretching them across halfway
and that frigging little hole just doesn't want to open up, I think you need decent finger nails or small fingers to separate the front and backside of the foams before trying to slide them on
I guess my old, grumpy and impatient side comes out when something so stupid that ends up being feeling like such a waste of time
The thick junk foams you get with the cheapo buds go on real easy
the expensive fancy ones end up being the hardest
like the ones that make you cuss when you rip them trying to get them on.
I should've just given the KSC75s with the yaxi japanese replacement foams instead of these little TY HE150pro earbuds.

Thanks for the suggestions
someone should make a tool to do this
like those expanding spring clip pliers
something you could stick in the hole with two teflon half moons and squeeze which would expand the foam which you could then insert the bud and then release

Dec 5, 2019 at 5:45 PM Post #46,360 of 75,145
Received my Turandot from 1111 sales on Ali, paid 150€ for these using seller coupon & ali coupon
I really like what I'm hearing out of my DX160, the tuning is very appealing to me! By the way I'm not using the original foams but a slightly thinner ones, a bit more transparent but not VE transparent (sound too thin).

Sound is warm because of rather elevated upper bass/low mids (good for men vocals) but it keeps good clarity with a bump in the high mids without bringing ANY fatigue, highs are perfect for me, providing some air but they NEVER disturb you. Thanks to this bump and the agility of the driver, sound is dynamic, musical and details retrieval is good.
They are forgiving of the record, so everything sound good! A huge plus for me.
Soundstage is rather large, not that deep but instruments are well separated, easy to pinpoint and timbres of instruments are natural to me.

On top of that, they are beautiful & very comfortable I can listen to them for hours!!

For me, they are definitely a keeper and I think I'll use them a lot in the office :)

Thank you for those impressions! I just purchased a set, and I'm eagerly awaiting them. I'm coming from a set of Zoomfreds. Anyone out there heard both?

Also.. can you tell if the "Turandot" etching on the side is going to fade off, or is it actually engraved in the metal? Superficial question, I know.. but I'm curious about that gorgeous finish.

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:49 PM Post #46,361 of 75,145
found something

wubber half round.jpg

Dec 5, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #46,362 of 75,145
I end up ripping my VE thin foams just stretching them across halfway
and that frigging little hole just doesn't want to open up, I think you need decent finger nails or small fingers to separate the front and backside of the foams before trying to slide them on
I guess my old, grumpy and impatient side comes out when something so stupid that ends up being feeling like such a waste of time
The thick junk foams you get with the cheapo buds go on real easy
the expensive fancy ones end up being the hardest
Interesting, if the material of the VE thin is so inflexible and fragile, why don't they make them bigger? Or this is the business for them, let people rip apart half of the set so they buy more lol? The only plausible option I can imagine is that these foams were designed for smaller shells. Cheaper donut foams are not on option for you by the way? This sounds like a waste of time and money, I sure won't torture myself with these based on your experience

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #46,363 of 75,145
Okay, So finally am sitting here listening to the ME80. No foams. These things are Female vocals monsters. Very natural. Very forward. I personally like very forward female vocals. Bass is good on these. Not heavy and not light either. Basslines are right where they should be and kicks are clearly audible. Maybe one day I will get to listening to some men sing some stuff, but right now The great Nina Simone has got a spell on me.

Source is Fiio M11, High Gain, Vol 60

Hasn't been a lot of talk of these lately. Im still hooked. I will be going to bed with Billie Holiday tonight.

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #46,364 of 75,145
Hasn't been a lot of talk of these lately. Im still hooked. I will be going to bed with Billie Holiday tonight.

I will be hooked on them again once they make the rotation back into my ears (which, thanks to your post, might be sooner than later!).

In summary: yes, the ME80's are great.

Dec 5, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #46,365 of 75,145
It is a bit hard to compare now as my balanced out has much less bass than single-ended, but I would say no.

It is a vastly different sound signature, the EBX has a bright, high definition "modern" sound and the TO600 (like the TO200) has a more rough, organic sound.

Probably less bass extension, but in any case more mid-bass for the TO600.

The EBX is a digital cd sound, and the TO600 a vinyl sound if you like an analogy. You can push the vinyl it will just roar pleasantly, while pushing the cd player will be aggressive.

Dunno if it makes sense but that's how I hear it. Definition and clarity : EBX. Organic sound : Toneking.

Guess what I'll pick to listen to John Lee Hooker ^^

I'm listening to my EBX right now (Hiegi Donut over Hiegi Full Foams) on the Balanced output of my iBasso PB2 Amp (2x Burson V6 Classic op-amps), and I agree that they have good Bass extension, and then a bit of a recessed Mid-Bass (which robs them of some realism).
If you get a chance, listen to a set of K's 600 earbuds (I've modified mine, by installing a 2.5mm TRRS plug).
They've got really "real" sounding Bass. :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back