Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 27, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #46,127 of 75,126
DQSM Turandot - Initial Impressions
Just wanted to share some quick thoughts on the DQSM Turandot. I’ve been using it with my Hiby R6 and have put a total of 10-12 Hrs on it.

Hardware and Comfort:
- Build and finish of the earbud is simply premium
- The shells are quite small but does have a little heft because it’s metal. The plastic Yuin style shell might be more comfortable, but I haven’t had any comfort issues so far. It fits better than the MX500 style buds
- Cable is thin and flexible. No springy feel or cable memory
- Hardware gets a 10/10 from me

Sound:
- Using the full foam covers, what I am hearing is a balanced signature, with a slight tilt towards warmth and body
- Overall a pleasant and an enjoyable listen, except for a small lower treble peak, which can make things sound sharp or peaky on a few albums
- Soundstage is large, but not quite on the level of full-size HPs. I’d say it is as big as my LCD-i4’s stage
- Very good overall performance in terms of separation, layering, dynamics and articulation. But I am unable to comment how it compares to other similarly priced earbuds

Tu-dot vs Monk+:
The only other earbud I have on me right now is the Monk+. I don't know if it is because of the lack of proper seal or the inherent tuning, but to me, Monk+ lacks bass. Because of the lack of bass and lack of low-end warmth, it sounds shouty in the upper-mids and bright in the treble.

- Compared to the Monk+, Tudot offers better bass in terms of both quantity and quality. So it has better slam and authority and provides sufficient warmth and body
- Tudot is slightly warmer and more bodied in the midrange without the upper-mids being shouty
- Tudot tends to sound peaky on some albums in the treble because of the lower treble peak, whereas the Monk+ is consistently bright across all albums
- When it comes to soundstage and other technical performance, such as separation, layering and articulation, Tudot is noticeably better than the Monk+

2410E7BC-115C-4CF5-B3E1-50B2A86E0F9D.jpeg

Nov 27, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #46,128 of 75,126
Hi can I check what are the sonic differences between the VE Monk Lite, Monk and Monk plus?

Thanks in advance!

Nov 27, 2019 at 4:14 AM Post #46,131 of 75,126
Hi can I check what are the sonic differences between the VE Monk Lite, Monk and Monk plus?

Thanks in advance!

I don't think one can get a hold of the original Monk anymore?

Anyway, I'm not too good at describing sound and all the terms, just a pleb noob...but to me the Monk+ sounds midcentric, spacious soundstage, low end is present but scarce. No piercing treble. Monk Lite sounds brighter, thinner and has even less bass than Monk+. Good details and soundstage, perhaps edges the Monk+ slightly in this regard. Both are good for vocals and instrumentals. Monk Lite benefits greatly from bass boost from DAC/amp/DAP. Hope this helps.

Nov 27, 2019 at 4:26 AM Post #46,132 of 75,126
Hey guys back with another request.
I loved the nicehck b40's you guys recommended. I also love the apple earpods and fiio em3... If you guys know where I'm getting at. Well, I'm looking for a pair of earbuds that sound good without foam covers. I will be buying a pair for myself and another for a friend who suffers from insomnia and listens to asmr in bed that helps him sleep.

Memt T5 maybe (I haven't heard personally).

PT25 is decent.

Nov 27, 2019 at 6:50 AM Post #46,133 of 75,126
Hey guys back with another request.
I loved the nicehck b40's you guys recommended. I also love the apple earpods and fiio em3... If you guys know where I'm getting at. Well, I'm looking for a pair of earbuds that sound good without foam covers. I will be buying a pair for myself and another for a friend who suffers from insomnia and listens to asmr in bed that helps him sleep.
https://penonaudio.com/shoonth-esep-01bl.html i recc theses. gentle sound with no peaks. I use them naked to listen to the radio or podcasts myself.

Nov 27, 2019 at 7:50 AM Post #46,136 of 75,126
Kube V1 and kubev1plus , what's the difference

The default Kube V1 has a glimmer signing hope to be modded, it is warm, proper bass quantity and decent treble.
Kube V1 Plus Mod by Willsound: the basic note is the same, warm and fun. The significant improvement comes from in quality of bass which deeper and more accurate. The room is more spacious, relieved and more laid back than the default which very narrow on my ears. The treble and detail is also improved, the sparkle and hi frequency is humble on my ears for long listening.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #46,137 of 75,126
Could you tell me more about the Sabia V7? Apart from some recommendations here I haven't found any info about it. No specs, even the impedance is not stated, just some vague and obscure description about it on the homepage, where it's called V8 mistakenly, then there is an apology below that it was mistyped lol. For me who is not familiar with the maker, this looks very sketchy.

Nov 27, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #46,139 of 75,126
Managed to sell some old expensive vaping stuff to have some money for friday, as I can't get enough of the toneking sound atm and greatly apreciate the differences between TO200 and TO400s and think they're both excellent, I'm considering growing the collection with the MrZ Tomahawk, MrZ Ting and TO180. The Ting being the most debatable at 56€ (the TO600 I got for 48€ on 11.11...)

In other news, the hiegi foams came home quickly, as usual with Penon, and yes the full foams are truely worth it on EBX and Shiro-Yuki, tamed the mids just what was needed to make them so much better for me. Their donuts sit on my tonekings, and while it's not night and day with the trig rains they're more dense and help with seal.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #46,140 of 75,126
Managed to sell some old expensive vaping stuff to have some money for friday, as I can't get enough of the toneking sound atm and greatly apreciate the differences between TO200 and TO400s and think they're both excellent, I'm considering growing the collection with the MrZ Tomahawk, MrZ Ting and TO150. The Ting being the most debatable at 56€ (the TO600 I got for 48€ on 11.11...)

In other news, the hiegi foams came home quickly, as usual with Penon, and yes the full foams are truely worth it on EBX and Shiro-Yuki, tamed the mids just what was needed to make them so much better for me. Their donuts sit on my tonekings, and while it's not night and day with the trig rains they're more dense and help with seal.

I have the Ting and I have the Toneking 150 ohm which is listed as TO180 by many sellers. A bit confusing. I bought mine from NiceHCK for $40. I love both of them but the form factor is a bit difficult for me to fit because of the thickness. So even though the Monk shells are wider they fit me more easily. Diameter is not the whole story.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back