Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 2, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #45,691 of 75,272
I was so nervous to hear initial impressions. I am glad you liked it. I tried my best to find a fun, yet good quality sound.

So awesome to hear. I wanted warmth and bass. Something easy on the ears.

By "Classy" I meant a simple design. Though I totally get where you are coming from.

Classy and elegant. Best value for sure.

Nov 2, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #45,692 of 75,272
I was so nervous to hear initial impressions. I am glad you liked it. I tried my best to find a fun, yet good quality sound.

So awesome to hear. I wanted warmth and bass. Something easy on the ears.

By "Classy" I meant a simple design. Though I totally get where you are coming from.

Mine are in Langley UK (Heathrow) so I should get them Monday/Tuesday. Why do people call IEMs or Buds 'fun'? For some reason I find that derogatory towards the sound of earphones. I hope they are really great sounding and stand comparison with 'non-fun' buds. Mind you I don't think I know what fun is. I'm also getting another pair of Blon 03's from Amazon on Monday.....a tough comparison.

Nov 2, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #45,693 of 75,272
Mine are in Langley UK (Heathrow) so I should get them Monday/Tuesday. Why do people call IEMs or Buds 'fun'? For some reason I find that derogatory towards the sound of earphones. I hope they are really great sounding and stand comparison with 'non-fun' buds. Mind you I don't think I know what fun is. I'm also getting another pair of Blon 03's from Amazon on Monday.....a tough comparison.

By "Fun" I mean an enjoyable earbud that does not take itself to seriously. Thus why I wanted a bit of warmth and smooth highs. Though IMO, it has detail to provide a quality playback, though that is up to others to decide.

Nov 2, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #45,694 of 75,272

I'm considering getting another pair of Blons also. That would be tough to compare. The Blons are just really good at everything. I wanted to be skeptical of them but the more I listen I can't find any obvious flaws. This is more of a complimentary sound. Put the Blons away for the day. You, probably, won't regret it.

Nov 3, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #45,695 of 75,272
Still eagerly awaiting my ST-10s! I did nab a JDS Atom amp while I was at it, so I've been playing with that as much as I can. The problem is that my headphones are Beyerdynamic 600 Ohm (T1, DT990) that are normally driven by my modded Bottlehead Crack. It would be incredibly unfair to make a comparison (but, yes, the Atom will drive a 600-Ohm can. It will not be nearly as effortless as my Crack, but that's to be expected from an amp that costs 1/8-1/10). I plugged in my Fidue A83's and the Atom performed admirably! I will note that it is rather unforgiving of crappy recordings. I loved listening to Meatloaf's "Going All The Way Is Just The Start" in my car (Lexus GS350 F-Sport; Mark Levinson audio system) but it was thin and reedy through the Atom. I played "When I Go" by Keaton Simons and a couple of other robust recordings and they all played perfectly fine, meaning the little Atom is quite capable when properly fed.

I know this thread is for earbuds, but I wanted to establish a baseline for when my ST-10s arrive.

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #45,696 of 75,272
By "Fun" I mean an enjoyable earbud that does not take itself to seriously. Thus why I wanted a bit of warmth and smooth highs. Though IMO, it has detail to provide a quality playback, though that is up to others to decide.

And it succeeded.

Nov 3, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #45,697 of 75,272
I've read and searched.
I'm used to: Fiio FH7, Denon D7000, I LOVE the weird separation and detail of my AKG K340. I need some rumble and sub-bass. I like the sound of the 1000SE / LCD4z.
I like things with detail and a present bass. Not boomy or mushy bass. I'd be happy if vocals sounded natural too.
In other words: A bass-leaning hi-fi sound. Like a Legend X (obviously without THAT amount of bass...unless that's a 'thing") But that QUALITY of bass.

It seems the ST-10 is well loved, but 2 people said the bass distorts.
The Rose Masya Pro looks interesting, as does the Mojito (which is pretty pricey)
K600 - at 600ohm I'm not sure what it'd sound like on the road from a V40.
KP110 - maybe bested by ST-10?

There is so much info here to read, and I'm learning, but I would appreciate tips.
Budget: under 150

Nov 3, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #45,699 of 75,272
The AK F150TS seemed on the bright side compared to my other older HE 150s
Really ? I did not like HE 150Pro, but I wanted to try F150TS

Nov 3, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #45,700 of 75,272
Really ? I did not like HE 150Pro, but I wanted to try F150TS

If that F150TS is the red/blue one I have it and enjoy it.

Source needs to power 150 ohm comfortably.

Nov 3, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #45,701 of 75,272
I've read and searched.
I'm used to: Fiio FH7, Denon D7000, I LOVE the weird separation and detail of my AKG K340. I need some rumble and sub-bass. I like the sound of the 1000SE / LCD4z.
I like things with detail and a present bass. Not boomy or mushy bass. I'd be happy if vocals sounded natural too.
In other words: A bass-leaning hi-fi sound. Like a Legend X (obviously without THAT amount of bass...unless that's a 'thing") But that QUALITY of bass.

The Rose Masya Pro looks interesting, as does the Mojito (which is pretty pricey)
K600 - at 600ohm I'm not sure what it'd sound like on the road from a V40.
KP110 - maybe bested by ST-10?

There is so much info here to read, and I'm learning, but I would appreciate tips.
Budget: under 150

Go for whichever earbud is recommended as having the best low end extension and control, then EQ it as flat as possible. (It wont be near flat but will at least have presence down to maybe 40hz before dropping off)

That's the only way you will get bass that will be as close to linear as possible for this form factor when you've heard such things like an LCD 4z which i assume is near perfectly flat in the low end.

Anything else will just sound flabby or will lack extension as good bass is not easy to come by in earbuds without a lot of good tuning work.

Something cheap like the Vido/Kube V1 would be a good starting point as it has good extension and is prime for EQ.

The ST-10 has apperantly good extension for an earbud too and would have a more controlled tuning than the two i mentioned above. But its also like 70$.

No point in spending 150 and being disappointed by the bass response.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #45,702 of 75,272
If that F150TS is the red/blue one I have it and enjoy it.

Source needs to power 150 ohm comfortably.

don't seem to get as much bass out of the blue red F150TS compared to my older HE 150pro both cables suck though always sticking to each other and tangling at the bud side. need to replace the cables

Nov 3, 2019 at 9:11 PM Post #45,703 of 75,272
I

The are three version of ST-10 so far - the original being the most neutral sounding of them all, with a small number of them suffered from tolerance issue on the MMCX socket. The 1st reversion adopted a new MMCX socket, but also a slightly warmer (though still mostly neutral) sound. Again, a small number reported bass distortion on high volume, likely arise from tolerance issue but this time it is from housing/driver. Currently I believe it is on 2nd reversion, meant to address bass distortion tolerance, and the tuning is somewhere between the original and the 2nd reversion, all very subtle but the last reversion is perhaps the most balanced of them all. I actually have all three versions (*as crazy as it sounds, I like to collect more than 1 pair of a particular earbud if I really like it :grin:) and lucky none of them has any issue. I do believe Smabat will repair / replace your ST-10 if you face any of the issue mentioned above.

Nov 3, 2019 at 10:40 PM Post #45,705 of 75,272
Your requirements are very specific, so it will really limit your options. You may need to compromise on mic Vs bass Vs clarity Vs price. Why not look at the suggestions you've been given so far, and just pick one or two.

A suggestion from me, it is more of an earpod type but at least it isn't too isolating. The Yincrow RW-100. It has decent enough bass and clarity, has a mic and is inexpensive.

If you can stretch a bit further maybe order 3, the Yincrow RW-100, the Monk+ with mic and the Vido with mic. That still wouldn't be a massively expensive order, and they are all good earbuds in their own right.
I will order Monk+. Not sure about Vido but ordering FiiO EM3S with Mic. And the ones I posted earlier (A6). Not sure about Yincrow RW-100 as it does not look like Earbud and more like new Apple Earbuds which goes inside the ear with rounded shape but they are very very uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back