Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 16, 2019 at 2:53 AM Post #45,406 of 75,273
Yeah, those Docomos are more than decent earbuds. The Black version are are more audiophile while the white ones has more mid bass.
Not sure if its due to different drivers or just more damper on the the whites. But both sounds great.

I think it's more a fine tune about drivers or completely other drivers swap (or from silver plated to OFC cable swap, maybe) because the docomo shells have nothing extraordinary (from first sight), they use standard MX500 shoes cotton (damper?) tuning on the behind stock holes which have extremely low porous air to pass. But I will remedy about that soon :D
Btw, I forgot to say that for a normal use, PK1/2 drivers snaps already well (not by much) on those docomo shells, so for DIY tries, this is perfect (no need to use glue if care enough).

Oct 16, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #45,408 of 75,273
because there is still an annoying peak around 16kHz to tame.

Annoying peak at 16kHZ? I wonder how long it has been since I could hear 16kHZ.

upload_2017-11-6_3-56-29.jpeg

Don't worry... even those at the bottom of the chart can enjoy music. The red is the fundamental tones. The yellow is the harmonics.

10361773.png

Oct 16, 2019 at 12:07 PM Post #45,410 of 75,273
I need help from @Willber and @HungryPanda to explain why these MIXX Tribute earbuds are so addictive. When I use them I don't feel like I need to change to anything else. I only wish they were built better but for £4 I will just make sure I have spares. I already posted photos of my recabled black one and m y purple one. Here is my rose gold one although I would not really call it "rose" gold... and the bottom half of the stem and the cable are beige. Super comfy.

R0015657.JPG

Oct 16, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #45,411 of 75,273

Got my Fengru Silver a few days ago, and I really like it!
Especially with some dark blue foams (which doesn't seem so dark on the photo)
Sound is good, idk bout the recessed mids, but it sounds great on my mx4 pro.
I guess you referenced my comment about the mids of fengru silver. First I'm happy that you like the bud it's indeed nice for the price. Not the whole midrange is recessed - the lower half dipped quite heavily with my unit, and the upper mids got a strong presence. This made the vocals especially thin, which is not my preference. I measured it as well and it showed the same profile I heard subjectively, I attach it as an illustration. Here you can see it in comparison with RY4S UE, which is somewhat bright but still quite flat for an earbud (just slowly tilted upwards), all of my preferred earbuds have similar flatness in the 300-2k range just more balanced between bass and highs. Also I attach a comparison with my new white vido which is the most v-shaped bud I have and this Silver had even more dip in the middle. (There is little hump around 250hz that's the resonance of my setup please disregard it, I noted it with red.
t3_silver_ry4sue_notes.jpg t3_silver_newwhitevido_notes.jpg

Oct 16, 2019 at 1:56 PM Post #45,412 of 75,273
I need help from @Willber and @HungryPanda to explain why these MIXX Tribute earbuds are so addictive. When I use them I don't feel like I need to change to anything else. I only wish they were built better but for £4 I will just make sure I have spares. I already posted photos of my recabled black one and m y purple one. Here is my rose gold one although I would not really call it "rose" gold... and the bottom half of the stem and the cable are beige. Super comfy.

I'm going to need some clarification on this one. You have access to many well respected buds and these are the ones that you'd prefer to listen to? We don't have any $4 deals on them in the US. There's a Bluetooth version available for $26 or I can order from Amazon UK for $17.50 with shipping. Is it still worth it at that price?

Oct 16, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #45,413 of 75,273

I totally agree and soon I shall post some more words and hopefully pictures.

Oct 16, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #45,414 of 75,273
I'm going to need some clarification on this one. You have access to many well respected buds and these are the ones that you'd prefer to listen to? We don't have any $4 deals on them in the US. There's a Bluetooth version available for $26 or I can order from Amazon UK for $17.50 with shipping. Is it still worth it at that price?

No don't do that. The build quality is not great. There is a weakness with the bottom half of that stem. When my husband recabled a black set for each of us, those parts cracked and he has taped them. He thinks he may have put too much pressure when he was opening the shell. Also there is a mic which can be a weak point.... I always choose no mic versions if available.

The retail price according to the MIXX Audio site is £12

oh wait... I guess the amazon deal is not that bad.... I was thinking pounds.

@Chris674

Edit... thinking about the price. If I had seen the Asda display and the price had been £12, I might have been curious enough to try one... especially knowing that returns are possible if it had sounded horrible. It is an attractive display with all the colors. However, if I had paid £12, while thinking it was a fair enough price, I probably would not have gone back to buy other colors and spares.

If you do order one from Amazon at least you can return it if it arrives damaged or defective. So far all the ones we have opened work and are in phase.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #45,415 of 75,273
I was enjoying the Mixx Tribute with full foam yesterday and then tried quite a few earbuds that were within reach, none were giving me the same magic till I put the Smabat ST-10 in my ears. Then I relaxed and sat happy with those (much better). Ones I had tried before them were BGVP DX3s, DIY PK2, Ty Hi-Z, Colorad C01 and Snow Lotus 2.0

Oct 16, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #45,416 of 75,273
Amongst all the new earbuds flying around, sometimes it's easy to forget some of the exceptional finds you've picked up along the way.

Spent a bit of time with my TY Hi-Z HP320 on the XDUOO X20 the last couple of days. This was one of my favorite earbuds when I got it, and still an awesome listen especially for classic rock and pop. Just a lot greener in the cable!

Oct 16, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #45,419 of 75,273
I noticed there is a new earbud in RY store, if somebody is interested: RY4C MMCX. I didn't like the original wired one but some of you did, also this may sound better. The shell is more comfortable than mx500. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000254369007.html
Btw, could anyone compare Faaeal Z-sound to more known earbuds in the budget range like Vido, RY4S, Qian39 etc?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back