Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 14, 2019 at 3:33 PM Post #44,731 of 75,320
I have not idea what they have done inside (and I'm not going to take it apart to find out!) but what hey have achieved is great both sonically and spatially. I presume the quality of the driver has a lot to do with it. Perhaps @ClieOS can shed some light on it as he had a hand in their tuning, didn't he?

Can't really tell you much - I only listened to the prototypes and tell them which part of the SQ I think can be improved / reduced. The guys at the factory then re-tune based on my suggestion - no idea as for how / what they actually did. Unlike what most of us DIYer do to tune earbuds, mainly involve just shell mod, those in factory can change a lot more, including the diaphragm, coil, and magnet combination.

Sep 14, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #44,732 of 75,320
Can't really tell you much - I only listened to the prototypes and tell them which part of the SQ I think can be improved / reduced. The guys at the factory then re-tune based on my suggestion - no idea as for how / what they actually did. Unlike what most of us DIYer do to tune earbuds, mainly involve just shell mod, those in factory can change a lot more, including the diaphragm, coil, and magnet combination.
Thanks anyway, whatever you/they did turned out very well!

Sep 14, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #44,733 of 75,320
I've received the Fengru Silver today. I have to admit it's pretty great especially for the price, it can compete with my 10usd buds. Clarity is top notch, almost at the level of RY4S UE but in a recessed/smoother form. It's a lot more V shaped than I imagined though (dip roughly from 300hz to 1.5k), I thought it will be flatter, it definitely adds some V-shape flavour to the music. It's quite unusual for me, especially because it's paired with smooth somewhat rolled off highs. Bass is good, I like the clarity and the midbass boost, it makes the sound full, headphone-like. I'm not totally impressed with the mids, for me they are a bit too thin and dry, but still more organic than most of my buds. Again it's more of a preference of sound signature, but I would prefer flatter frequency response here, I find the v-shape too prominent. For some vocal based music I'd still prefer blue Qian25 but for anything else this Fengru is much better. I also like it more than Qian69, similar fidelity but a lot better tonality for me. I wouldn't say it's better than RY4S UE, I'd rank it roughly on the same level, just different sound signature. I'd like something in between. I can imagine that this could become a killer bud with some additional EQ or other form of tuning. (Oh, and the shell is slippery and kinda tacky, I'd prefer a more conventional finish to be honest, plus the cable is little short)
If the SR2 and B40 improve the mids compared to this, I'll be really happy :D

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #44,734 of 75,320
Sep 14, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #44,735 of 75,320
NiceHCK B40 frequency response graph. In my opinion, it's better to look more like ISN Rambo than SR2. It's not a bad effort.

NiceHCK B40 vs SR2 vs ISN Rambo.png

Sep 14, 2019 at 9:01 PM Post #44,736 of 75,320
NiceHCK B40 frequency response graph. In my opinion, it's better to look more like ISN Rambo than SR2. It's not a bad effort.

Recenter all the FR at 1kHz.will be even better.

Sep 15, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #44,738 of 75,320
@Mhog55 forgot to mention the toneking earbuds to65, to180, to200, t0400 & to600.

I don't have any of those, though others here do.

Makes me want to try and do it to a pair of my pk buds as well. Maybe a hair shorter on the stem for me.
Those are sweet. Would be perfect for me. Who mods for you? Are the TK 400s super hard to drive? Would my Opus#1s or LG v40 provide enough power?

Sep 15, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #44,739 of 75,320

Hello,

thanks for these graphs. I came across your website last week via google and mentioned it in the other thread (Absolute best budget earbuds?)

Do you have a standalone L/R graph for the B40 plz?

These are the other earbuds that I'm testing (the Vido hasn't arrived yet):

https://hiendportable.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Edifier-H180.png
https://hiendportable.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Vido.png
https://hiendportable.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/RY4S.png

What would be the ranking with regards to the bass response be on these 4? I'm guessing that the RY4S UE ranks last? Even though it's still respectable.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 5:37 AM Post #44,741 of 75,320
I'm not knowledgeable about earbuds, but my B40 arrived today and after a quick listen I was not impressed. Then I put the full foams on and when I listened again I was very impressed and also surprised that the foams made such a huge difference. I've wanted to get one good pair of buds even though I use IEMs, and it seems like I connected on this one.

Sep 15, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #44,742 of 75,320
Hello,

thanks for these graphs. I came across your website last week via google and mentioned it in the other thread (Absolute best budget earbuds?)

Do you have a standalone L/R graph for the B40 plz?

These are the other earbuds that I'm testing (the Vido hasn't arrived yet):

https://hiendportable.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Edifier-H180.png
https://hiendportable.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Vido.png
https://hiendportable.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/RY4S.png

What would be the ranking with regards to the bass response be on these 4? I'm guessing that the RY4S UE ranks last? Even though it's still respectable.

In the graphs, all three give an almost identical bass level. In my opinion, the sensation of the low zone depends more on the form than on the frequency response itself. The MX500 capsules give me a greater bass feel, with a more forceful hit. Thus, the Vido offers the largest and widest bass. But the RY4S UE has a lower area more focused on the sub-bass, not so much on the mid-bass. The Edifiers, due to the adjustment they provide me, are behind in the presence of a low zone, for me.

Then there are already many variants, which offer different foams that can be used, fine singles, thick singles, doubles, donuts, complete plus donuts ... Buff.

Vido vs Edifier H180 vs RY4S UE.png

I must say that I prefer the sound of the EU RY4S, as they bring more clarity and not a dull sound. Lightening the emphasis between 300Hz and 1.5kHz helps here.

https://hiendportable.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/NiceHCK-B40.png

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #44,743 of 75,320
In the graphs, all three give an almost identical bass level. In my opinion, the sensation of the low zone depends more on the form than on the frequency response itself. The MX500 capsules give me a greater bass feel, with a more forceful hit. Thus, the Vido offers the largest and widest bass. But the RY4S UE has a lower area more focused on the sub-bass, not so much on the mid-bass. The Edifiers, due to the adjustment they provide me, are behind in the presence of a low zone, for me.

Then there are already many variants, which offer different foams that can be used, fine singles, thick singles, doubles, donuts, complete plus donuts ... Buff.

I must say that I prefer the sound of the EU RY4S, as they bring more clarity and not a dull sound. Lightening the emphasis between 300Hz and 1.5kHz helps here.

https://hiendportable.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/NiceHCK-B40.png

Thanks! Is it also possible to put all 4 of them in a single graph? :p

Sep 15, 2019 at 7:49 AM Post #44,744 of 75,320

Does it mean b40 as the same sound signature as isn rambo? everybody say rambo has no bass..

Sep 15, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #44,745 of 75,320
I'm not knowledgeable about earbuds, but my B40 arrived today and after a quick listen I was not impressed. Then I put the full foams on and when I listened again I was very impressed and also surprised that the foams made such a huge difference. I've wanted to get one good pair of buds even though I use IEMs, and it seems like I connected on this one.

Foams always make a huge difference because they help the bud to "seal"better in your ear... not like an iem, but nevertheless important for buds too. I have one where I have to put a donut foam on top of the regular foam in order to get a good seal. Doing that does not add more foam to the front but gives more around the edges. With most buds though I do not do that because then they would not fit. .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back