Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 14, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #44,717 of 75,271
The sound stage of the B40 is ok but certainly not the widest

That would have been my guess.

I managed to squeeze quiet a bit of soundstage out of the cygnus by adding extra dampening behind some of the drivers back venting and by using paper filter and very porous tuning foam on the back vent. Coupled with VE donuts of full foams, you get a moderate amount of bass depth,similar to that of the diy pk SR2, but a very clean and well separated mids and highs.

Slightly more so than the stock cygnus tuning which had a more dense single tunning foams on the shell and almost non existant driver dampening with gave quiet a strong mid bass emphasis and warm mids. Enjoyable but not aiding in the soundstage width.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #44,718 of 75,271
So I'm guessing the b40 may struggle with soundstage/spaciousness with only one vent open.

Can anyone confirm does the b40 sound less spacious than other pk buds with both vents open?
My B40 has a similar soundstage (width, depth and height) to the SR2 and greater than the DIY EMX500 PK2 and NiceHCK PK2, all of which have both vents open. The superb imaging and layering possibly make it sound bigger than it is, though, IMO.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 9:47 AM Post #44,719 of 75,271
My B40 has a similar soundstage (width, depth and height) to the SR2 and greater than the DIY EMX500 PK2 and NiceHCK PK2, all of which have both vents open. The superb imaging and layering possibly make it sound bigger than it is, though, IMO.
Using blu tack to open/close the bottom vent at the back, the difference was subtle but I could hear where the soundstage ended as it had a more closed off sound. Opening it allowed the sound to travel further which did sound slightly more open and wider.

It was one of those things where you have to choose between 10% more soundstage or 10% more bass punch so it's really not a huge deal but with an earbud that already has issues with staging i thought it would be best to allow it some breathing room.

If you aren't hearing that difference on the b40 i would assume its because the b40 is dampened behind the driver more than your typical docomo driver.

I mean the b40 driver might be different and has a completely different frequency response, which could also be a factor.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #44,720 of 75,271
Speaking of docomo/pk type drivers, has anyone made a diy earbud using the pk sr2 PRO drivers?

That will probably be my next build, i have a pair sitting around and still have not listened to them yet.

Sep 14, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #44,721 of 75,271
If you aren't hearing that difference on the b40 i would assume its because the b40 is dampened behind the driver more than your typical docomo driver.

I mean the b40 driver might be different and has a completely different frequency response, which could also be a factor.
I have not idea what they have done inside (and I'm not going to take it apart to find out!) but what hey have achieved is great both sonically and spatially. I presume the quality of the driver has a lot to do with it. Perhaps @ClieOS can shed some light on it as he had a hand in their tuning, didn't he?

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #44,722 of 75,271
I have not idea what they have done inside (and I'm not going to take it apart to find out!) but what hey have achieved is great both sonically and spatially. I presume the quality of the driver has a lot to do with it. Perhaps @ClieOS can shed some light on it as he had a hand in their tuning, didn't he?
If he's willing to answer we are all ears :D

I wish there was an easy way to let you hear the cygnus I re-tuned and in turn let me hear the b40. Imagine how much speculation would be cleared up if we could just hear everyones gear!

I'd ask nicehck but most sellers don't give out much information and the language barrier can be tricky sometimes especially when you are asking unusual questions lol

Sep 14, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #44,723 of 75,271
Speaking of docomo/pk type drivers, has anyone made a diy earbud using the pk sr2 PRO drivers?

That will probably be my next build, i have a pair sitting around and still have not listened to them yet.

If you mean SR Pro driver, I made a diy earbud with SR Pro drivers.
The diy earbud with SR Pro drivers has stronger treble and bass than one with SR2 drivers. And They have similar wide sound stage.

Sep 14, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #44,724 of 75,271
Typically you would look for a relatively centered attachment point. PT15, PT25, TI7, ACG, BK2, etc.

@Mhog55 forgot to mention the toneking earbuds to65, to180, to200, t0400 & to600.

I don't have any of those, though others here do.

Some earbuds to be shipped out: Modded Shozy Cygnus w/ MMCX and SPC cable (toneking to600 cable).

Makes me want to try and do it to a pair of my pk buds as well. Maybe a hair shorter on the stem for me.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #44,725 of 75,271
@Mhog55 forgot to mention the toneking earbuds to65, to180, to200, t0400 & to600.

I don't have any of those though others here do.

I have not had the TO180 very long but I love what I have heard so far. I have never seen anyone mention the TO65 but the others have been discussed quite a bit.

Sep 14, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #44,726 of 75,271
Can't go wrong with the kube v1. More linear bass than the vido with similar quantity. For me the kube bass is slightly cleaner in the mid bass. More full bodied mids and smoother highs. Could be said to lack some detail because of the relaxed presence region. But there's no major dips or offensive peaks. Worn with thin foams the sound becomes more neutral and more clear with a hint of warmth, but full or donut foams give you that bass thump.
I wanted to buy kubes once but they were only available through ebay and were out of stock. I'll order a pair soon.
Maybe you can also recommend something from aliexpress?

Sep 14, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #44,727 of 75,271
@caracal +1 for both the Kube v1 and the b40.

Sep 14, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #44,728 of 75,271

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-14_19-8-17.png
    upload_2019-9-14_19-8-17.png
    96.9 KB · Views: 0
Sep 14, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #44,730 of 75,271
Oh I wrote on the previous page that already ordered them :smile:
You think they sound a bit better than kubes? They are like twice cheaper as well.
I missed that you'd ordered them. I prefer them to the Kube and for a while they were my favourite buds regardless of price. I've got three of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back