Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 4, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #44,432 of 75,573
I've have the RY4S Plus MMXC in the cart for a long time now. Will you consider them to have good sub bass? I'm looking for something along the line of Kube 1.0 in low end but with MMCX so I can swap out cables.

If you are planning to swap out cables you need to consider the fragility of mmcx connectors compared to two pin. With my mmcx buds and iems, once I decide on a cable I rarely remove it and change the cable. Certainly no more than a couple of times. I would not want to constantly switch between differrent cables. I am always a bit frightened when removing an mmcx cable.

I have a nice balanced cable on my RY4S Plus and if I want to use it with a non balanced source I have a short adapter cable... 2.5mm female single ended to 3.5mm male SE.

Sep 4, 2019 at 9:44 AM Post #44,433 of 75,573
If you are planning to swap out cables you need to consider the fragility of mmcx connectors compared to two pin. With my mmcx buds and iems, once I decide on a cable I rarely remove it and change the cable. Certainly no more than a couple of times. I would not want to constantly switch between differrent cables. I am always a bit frightened when removing an mmcx cable.

I have a nice balanced cable on my RY4S Plus and if I want to use it with a non balanced source I have a short adapter cable... 2.5mm female single ended to 3.5mm male SE.

I see... I'm actually not looking at swapping the cables frequently but more of when it gets faulty. I think that due to high humidity or sweat, the cable of my black Kube 1.0 which comes into contact with the skin has already started to harden and shine. I think the next stage will be the rubber insulation crumbling, just as how my older earphones failed from experience. I see this MMCX solution as a double edge sword as all my earbuds come with fixed cable.

Sep 4, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #44,434 of 75,573
I see... I'm actually not looking at swapping the cables frequently but more of when it gets faulty. I think that due to high humidity or sweat, the cable of my black Kube 1.0 which comes into contact with the skin has already started to harden and shine. I think the next stage will be the rubber insulation crumbling, just as how my older earphones failed from experience. I see this MMCX solution as a double edge sword as all my earbuds come with fixed cable.

That sounds like a good plan. I think the connectors are good enough to withstand a few changes. I just know that some people take cables off every time to put the bud or iem away. I would not do that.

I am not sure I remember where you are. Not much humidity here. You would probably laugh at what they call humid here.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #44,435 of 75,573
That sounds like a good plan. I think the connectors are good enough to withstand a few changes. I just know that some people take cables off every time to put the bud or iem away. I would not do that.

I am not sure I remember where you are. Not much humidity here. You would probably laugh at what they call humid here.

I know it sounds crazy, but humidity here is all time hovering about 70% and sometimes above... :D

If I had to choose, I would take 2-pin over MMCX. Do you happen to know if the fixed cable version of the RY4S Plus are actually similar sounding to the MMCX model? Maybe I should just go for that instead, because I just realised that the MMCX cables are sold separately and all my existing cables are 2-pin...

Sep 4, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #44,436 of 75,573
I know it sounds crazy, but humidity here is all time hovering about 70% and sometimes above... :D

If I had to choose, I would take 2-pin over MMCX. Do you happen to know if the fixed cable version of the RY4S Plus are actually similar sounding to the MMCX model? Maybe I should just go for that instead, because I just realised that the MMCX cables are sold separately and all my existing cables are 2-pin...

Is there a version of the RY4S Plus with fixed cables? Which one were you thinking of?

Sep 4, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #44,438 of 75,573
I think I might have gotten it wrong but they have the RY4S HI version... Not sure if they're same as the MMCX Plus though...
I think the plus has a new driver. It sounds totally different then my ry4s UE. IMO much better sounding then the UE. No idea on the HI ver. though.

Sep 4, 2019 at 11:25 AM Post #44,439 of 75,573
I think the plus has a new driver. It sounds totally different then my ry4s UE. IMO much better sounding then the UE. No idea on the HI ver. though.
Wow, I thought UE and Plus sounds the same or the difference is minor due to the shell modification. (I only have UE) In what aspect do you find the Plus better? I suppose bass is bigger, but are the mids smoother more natural as well? My main problem with the UE is the thin, slightly metallic and peaky tonality. (can be fixed with EQ but it's cumbersome for me especially with Windows)

Sep 4, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #44,440 of 75,573
I think I might have gotten it wrong but they have the RY4S HI version... Not sure if they're same as the MMCX Plus though...

The info I got from the seller was that the HI is the cabled version of the MMCX Plus. The HI/Plus version sounds 'better' than the UE. I have the UE version and love it. Just ordered the MMCX Plus version with 'fancy' cable because the Plus version has free shipping but the HI version charges and extra $4. I figured I would splurge and get detachable cables.... :p

Sep 4, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #44,441 of 75,573
The info I got from the seller was that the HI is the cabled version of the MMCX Plus. The HI/Plus version sounds 'better' than the UE. I have the UE version and love it. Just ordered the MMCX Plus version with 'fancy' cable because the Plus version has free shipping but the HI version charges and extra $4. I figured I would splurge and get detachable cables.... :p
It's weird I read comparisons between HI and UE in the past and people said they're basically the same. Also HI is cheaper than UE. I'm getting tired of this constant ambiguity with chinese products. Aren't all RY4S have the same driver, just with different tunings?

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2019 at 12:53 PM Post #44,442 of 75,573
Luckybag landed. Lovely, like lots.

Sep 4, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #44,445 of 75,573
Hello everyone, how pleased to find this centralized discussion of buds. I have RY4S common version (not UE / Plus), Qian69 and Qian25.

Qian25 is powerful and very dynamic, warm side of sound and neutral signature. I'm waiting for my lucky bag and the new neutral-tuned white Vido.
I love Qian25 :) FYI new white vido is basically the same as the old one, so v shaped bassy.. more balanced versions are y cable blue and probably red, black. Or is there a y-cable white also? I've never seen one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back